XICamera - Allows you to set the Camera distance
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2020-11-19 13:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I got charmed the other day and didn't happen, haven't seen this. Although it still crashes if I log out into another character with it on.

I think this has been fixed with more recent version. I had the same issue with the very first release but with the newer one haven't run into any crashes.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [89 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Hokuten
Server: Cerberus
user: Hokuten85
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2021-02-16 17:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, I've gotten back into playing around with XI and thought I'd try for an all lua implementation. I have a version for Ashita v3, Ashita v4, and Windower 5 working, but I still have only tested this on my own private server.

Ashita 3
Ashita 4
Windower 5

Would appreciate feedback if anyone is willing to try them. I'll probably be working on an Ashita v4 implementation next. I'm not sure if Windower 4 lua only is possible, but I still might be able to optimize things a bit and fix any oddities and crashing issues. Bad collision detection still might be a thing, but that's felt better on these lua implementations ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lua load xicamera

/camera
/cam

functions:
d|distance ### - sets distance
start|stop - starts/stops the distance adjustment
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
By Kazaki 2021-03-18 07:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Any way to fix the bug where the camera locks to a position on the ground and you have to run away to get it back onto your character?
By billnes 2021-04-03 12:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't remember what I read or where the information was... What is the default setting for XICamera?? Something is telling me is 15 but I honestly can't remember.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-03 12:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 15.

I had to recently uninstall this add-on. Visually, it's amazing, but it was causing performance issues in Gaol bosses for some reason. I would randomly disconnect at the worst times. LS members said it was probably this add-on. Anyone else experience similar random disconnects? I recently did a full sweep of everything I use and removed xicamera and xivparty. Zero disconnects. So it had something to do with either of those.
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2021-04-15 18:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The default camera distance should be 6 if I recall.

I don't know why it would be causing disconnects. It doesn't manipulate packets. If anything, I'd imagine it would hard crash the game if it hit a problem.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-15 20:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant hard crash.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [111 days between previous and next post]
By billnes 2021-08-04 19:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello All!

I know this is a Necro Bump. Please excuse me... I'm having a problem getting XICamera to work properly. When I type in "//lua load xicamera", Windower is saying that it can find the XICamera module. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[+]
By zigzagzig 2021-08-04 20:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

tried XIcamera ?
By billnes 2021-08-04 20:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't work
[+]
 Asura.Aessk
Server: Asura
user: Hobbes423
By Asura.Aessk 2021-08-04 20:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Your file path should be:
Windower4 > addons > XIcamera > XICamera.lua

I'm betting you have an XICamera folder inside the first. like this:
Windower4 > addons > XIcamera > XIcamera > XICamera.lua

Get rid of that second folder.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [499 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2022-12-17 01:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So... I did a thing and reworked how XICamera functions. I'm hoping that it's less buggy. I found memory locations that controlled the min/max normal and battle cameras. I'm hoping that upping those numbers and then letting the normal game logic for managing cameras will work better.

https://github.com/Hokuten85/XICamera/releases/tag/v0.7

There are different versions for most of the windowing/launching apps.

I did some testing on each version, but nothing super extensive. Let me know if it's terrible.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-17 03:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll have to try it out, this is honestly my favorite addon done for this game in ages so thanks. I was gonna bump this because I thought it was not being worked on anymore.

Sometimes on some big mobs it was annoying and kept forcing the camera into the ground but overall it has been fantastic. Only other thing was the crashing on login screen, but maybe that was just from my settings.
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2022-12-19 20:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone give this a go? Better? worse?
By Draylo 2022-12-19 21:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using it, I haven't noticed a difference. Is there something to be looking out for specifically?
 Bahamut.Navius
Server: Bahamut
user: phot0nic
By Bahamut.Navius 2022-12-20 00:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't noticed any large changes, but sometimes the previous version would glitch out and the camera controls would become erratic, especially when locking onto targets. This newer version hasn't had any issues yet for me, so there's a noticeable improvement. Additionally, while I don't personally use it, the chase camera seems to work better in this new version.

One bug I noticed, though, is that when moving slowly (walking, instead of running), my character uses the running animation slowly instead of the walking animation. I still appear to be walking on other people's screens.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-20 01:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Navius said: »
One bug I noticed, though, is that when moving slowly (walking, instead of running), my character uses the running animation slowly instead of the walking animation. I still appear to be walking on other people's screens.

Ah can confirm this too
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2022-12-20 02:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@draylo there's fairly significant changes in the approach. Originally I was finding the vector between the character and the camera, recalculating the extended position of the camera, and pushing the new camera position into memory right before the game rendered each frame. This has some wonky side effects where the game would try to fight the new camera position. The approach mostly won out, and you'd get your extended camera.

When in compact keyboard 2 mode, on ashita when holding shift, the game would go into strafing mode and the camera would jump slightly. While trying to fix that issue I found some memory locations that appear to store the min and the max camera distance values. Instead of calculating the position of the camera prior to every frame, I am just writing new min and Max camera distance values into those memory locations on load of the addon. Then letting the game just calculate distance as it would normally with those new min/max values. Hopefully the game will stop trying to fight itself, and eliminate some of the buggy crap. I did notice one bug on zone where it would try to set up the zoom field of view, but the min camera location was used in that initialization, and you got a really weird fisheye effect after zoning. So I had to add a workaround for that.

The approach is completely different, so I assumed that it would have very different types of bugs that show up. I will look at the walking speed issue to see if I can correct that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2022-12-20 15:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Something else I haven't seen mentioned, is that this addon (both the old version and this new version) fixes an annoying bug for me and might also for others who haven't tried it out yet. Ordinarily in game, if I set my FPS to 60 and there's any object in between the camera and my character (like trying to back into a wall/corner to prevent knockback, etc.) the camera shakes all over like the screen is having a seizure. This doesn't happen with the default 30 FPS, the camera smoothly adjusts, and even makes obscuring objects translucent. This addon allows for the default camera behavior (no more shaking) while running at 60 FPS.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2022-12-20 18:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the running animation while walking is fixed.

https://github.com/Hokuten85/XICamera/releases/tag/v0.7.1

might be other bugs... we'll find out... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[+]
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-01-11 22:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I found another small bug. During cutscenes when your character is supposed to be walking, they'll walk very quickly as if the frame rate has been increased. I noticed this during the new TVR cutscenes and my character was power walking everywhere through them. Disabling this addon fixes the behavior, so I assume this addon is the cause.
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2023-01-12 13:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Which cutscene in particular were you watching? I fired up a small handful of older cutscenes and wasn't seeing the behavior.

newest release
https://github.com/Hokuten85/XICamera/releases/tag/v0.7.2
[+]
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-01-12 14:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe all of them (or at least all of them when my character was moving) from the latest TVR missions. That's where I first noticed it. As a quick test, the short cutscene where your character approaches a burning circle (such as Trove), or walks through certain doorways (such as entering the Tenshodo in Lower Jeuno) also triggers this bug. I'll check out the latest version.

edit: it appears this bug is gone in 0.7.2, so nevermind, and thanks!
By Dodik 2023-01-12 14:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Been using this addon for a while, both original and newest releases, works great. Thanks!

One thing I noticed 'cam status' no longer does anything since the 0.7 release.
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2023-01-13 00:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I had removed status because I didn't know how useful it was. I've had a few people asking for it back, so I've added it back.

https://github.com/Hokuten85/XICamera/releases/tag/v0.7.3

There's also an issue with audio. Once the camera gets too far away from what you are hitting, the game doesn't play audio. Looking to see what I can do with that.
By DaneBlood 2023-01-19 11:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you are working around with camera functions.
is there anyway for this plugin to remove the camera lock when you lock on a target.
the Restriction that you can only have your camera in like the ~90degree behind yourself is annoying if you are fighting near walls.
but I still wish to have my target locked
By Dodik 2023-01-19 11:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, is there any way to have the PgUp/PgDown buttons work in the newer version to change camera distance like they did pre-0.7?

I liked you could use PgUp/PgDown to change camera distance without using addon commands and it worked like the game's own distance change though let you zoom further back.

Using 'xicamera d 20' so you can get a bird's eye view for a while, then another command to go back down is less intuitive now.

Another thing, setting a non-default distance seems to make using PgUp to 'zoom in' have a weird FOV, like only the middle part of the screen is zoomed in, if that makes sense. Anything around the character appears with a wide FOV except the character model and surrounding textures.
By DaneBlood 2023-01-19 22:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Btw, is there any way to have the PgUp/PgDown buttons work in the newer version to change camera distance like they did pre-0.7?

I liked you could use PgUp/PgDown to change camera distance without using addon commands and it worked like the game's own distance change though let you zoom further back.

Using 'xicamera d 20' so you can get a bird's eye view for a while, then another command to go back down is less intuitive now.

Another thing, setting a non-default distance seems to make using PgUp to 'zoom in' have a weird FOV, like only the middle part of the screen is zoomed in, if that makes sense. Anything around the character appears with a wide FOV except the character model and surrounding textures.

Works perfectly that way here.
Once the distance has been set I can use PageUP/Down to zoom in and out as I want.
By Dodik 2023-01-20 17:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »
Once the distance has been set I can use PageUP/Down to zoom in and out as I want.

Yes, I meant that the original version allowed you to use PgUp/PgDown instead of console commands to set the distance in the addon.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hokuten
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2023-01-20 23:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

@DaneBlood - I'm not sure if there's a way to remove that camera restriction while target locked.

@Dodik - I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. I never added any functions to any version to work with the PgUp/Down buttons. As far as I am aware that just adjusts the normal games zoom function. As far as I can tell, the most recent version that's out there doesn't do anything especially weird with the zoom/field of view and mostly behaves as you'd expect. At least in the testing that I've done I haven't been able to recreate any odd FOV issues.