Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Gaming laptop {Help me out}
Gaming laptop {Help me out}
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-10-16 11:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So my computer is getting pretty old and doesnt do to well for anything i want it to do lol. since i dont really know anything about computers im wondering if i could get some help on picking a new laptop its gotta be under 1,000$ and has to be a laptop gonna be used mostly for gaming thanks for all the help :D
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-16 11:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

GL with it being under $1K. Build your own to keep it under that limit.
 Asura.Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-10-16 11:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

yes i relize this now lol might just do a desktop

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-16 12:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=320

Battalion 101 CZ-9 Ultra Notebook
http://www.ibuypower.com
Case
Battalion 101 CZ-9 Ultra 15.4" WXGA 1280x800 Widescreen LCD TFT Notebook w/Li-ion battery, Universal AC Power Adapter-Original Metallic Black

Processor
Intel® Montevina Core 2 Duo Mobile P8800 Dual-Core Processor (2x 2.66GHz/3MB Cache/1066FSB)
Memory 4 GB(2 GB X2) DDR2-800 PC6400 [Notebook Memory] -

Video Card
Mobility 512MB NVIDIA GeForce GO 9600M GT PCI-Express 3D Video-

Primary Hard Drive
320 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Notebook Hard Drive-

Optical Drive 8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-9 Ultra]-

Flash Media Reader/Writer Built-in 3-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Notebook]-

Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-

Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000 Network LAN [Notebook] -

Fax Modem Built-in 56K V.92 Fax Modem [Notebook]-

Internal Wireless Network Adapter Intel Pro/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link + Bluetooth Card [CZ-9 Ultra]-

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....)-32-Bit
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] None-
USB Flash Drive None-
USB 2.0 Accessories Built-in 3x USB 2.0 Ports [Notebook]-
Power Protection None-
Carrying Case Free Deluxe Carrying Case-
Printer None-
Headset None-
MP3/MP4 Player None-
Video Camera Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera-
LCD Pixel Protection None-

Warranty Standard Warranty Service-Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee)-No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days

Subtotal $983

That's about as good as you're gonna get for under $1000. You can get a 17" widescreen for less, but the processor/ram/video/etc. are all going to be crap.

You'd be looking at $1500-2000 if you want a high-end gaming laptop.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-10-16 12:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I got my HP laptop for 800 bucks on sale through QVC. Yea i know, but my grandma told me about it, and i had to jump on it, morons didnt know what sweet *** thing they were selling. 500 gb hard drive, 4 gb ram, 2.6 ghz processor, nvidia graphics card, kinda large because its 17inch diameter screen but *** it, its powerful, fast, can play any game perfect, zero lag, it makes me sad to play FFXI on it because I know my system can run more beautiful MMOs like Aion. was 800 bucks but MSRP was around 1300 so its true, you gotta break 1k to find a great laptop for gaming, but find that 1k+ laptop somewhere for under 1k and your golden. happy hunting!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-16 12:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

HP sucks. Do NOT EVER buy HP.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-16 12:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Partitioned HDD to put the backup/recovery tools on is a fail.

I got a XPS, but it's not as good as I thought even though it was top of the line at the time I ordered it. Only thing I didn't get for it was a Blu-Ray burner. Came out to be $1.8K
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-10-16 12:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i normally wouldnt either, but I've had no problems so far for the past 3 months. But then again im not a *** moron like some pc and laptop users, where ***goes wrong because of negiligence and they blame the manufactuer because it totally could not be their fault they contracted a virus, malware, corrupted a file, or etc. but meh, not everyone has been building, repairing, and working on computers since they were 13 (22 next month btw) so I think i got it covered if the HPness kicks in
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-16 12:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My sister got an HP laptop awhile back against my advice... Like 4 months in, the motherboard craps out. And that model had a 'partial' recall that didn't include her serial number... Ya know what HP did instead of extending the recall to include her sn? Absolutely nothing. Go go HP's shitty customer service.
 Kujata.Avorath
Server: Kujata
user: Trinston
By Kujata.Avorath 2009-10-16 12:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I got an HP laptop for my graduation present like 6 months or so ago, a HP Dv7-1262us. And this bad boy runs FFXI like a champ! My graphics are off the chain (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT) and my FPS is awesome...on most days, lol. I went with the 17 inch (Thats what she said) just because of FFXI. I got it from Staples for like $970 with the rebates and all that jazz (And they threw in Norton 360 for free!) So, that's what I would recomend, I love this bad boy.. gl
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-10-16 12:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
My sister got an HP laptop awhile back against my advice... Like 4 months in, the motherboard craps out. And that model had a 'partial' recall that didn't include her serial number... Ya know what HP did instead of extending the recall to include her sn? Absolutely nothing. Go go HP's shitty customer service.

Maybe she doesn't know ***about computers. Seems so.

Avorath said:
I got an HP laptop for my graduation present like 6 months or so ago, a HP Dv7-1262us. And this bad boy runs FFXI like a champ! My graphics are off the chain (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT) and my FPS is awesome...on most days, lol. I went with the 17 inch (Thats what she said) just because of FFXI. I got it from Staples for like $970 with the rebates and all that jazz (And they threw in Norton 360 for free!) So, that's what I would recomend, I love this bad boy.. gl

See he knows whats up.
 Asura.Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-10-16 12:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i think a custom desktop might be the best choice any suggestions on a good site to use?
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 12:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and my fiance bought Asus X5 laptops from best buy for 899$ each. I saw the stats in the store, ran home and looked it up because i couldn't believe the price for 4GB ram and a Nvidia 9800GTS 512MB graphic card along with a 2.13 core 2 duo intel processor.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g50vt-x5/4505-3121_7-33496181.html

When i custom built my computer i used mostly Asus hardware and i have always loved Asus as an actual company itself.

You can get something decent for around 900-1200$. Just do your research.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-16 12:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
Tbest said:

Maybe she doesn't know ***about computers. Seems so.
lol... I was the one that dealt with it when it started having problems. It's a simple matter of faulty hardware and poor customer service.

Elvaton said:
i think a custom desktop might be the best choice any suggestions on a good site to use?
I'd use iBuyPower.com for a custom desktop site if you don't feel comfortable building one yourself.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=313
Gamer Paladin 950
http://www.ibuypower.com
Case PSI ArmorX Gaming Tower Case-Blue

Processor [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)-

Processor Cooling Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink-

Memory 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 – 1GB-Single Card
Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA-

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR -- Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB-

Power Supply 650 Watt -- Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency Power Supply-SLI Ready

Primary Hard Drive 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive

Optical Drive 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black

Flash Media Reader/Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Beige

Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-

Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....)-32-Bit

Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black

Mouse iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-Black

Monitor None-

Warranty Standard Warranty Service-Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support

Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days

Subtotal $990
 Fairy.Tahls
user: Tahls
By Fairy.Tahls 2009-10-29 09:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Mabrook said:
Get a Mac and put windows on it np. Mac will run windows faster than any PC ever can, but GL finding one for less than $1K lol. I got a Mac laptop and I get much much better FPS on boot camp when I play FFXI than I do on all my other PCs.

If anything, Dell is not too bad of a gaming performance PC, their processors are one of the best, if not the best for PCs.

Same, I have a Macbook pro and I have to say it runs FFXI much better then any of my PC's ever have.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-29 10:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Mac fails and is too expensive. >.>
 Fairy.Tahls
By Fairy.Tahls 2009-10-29 17:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Such a haterr
 Fairy.Tahls
By Fairy.Tahls 2009-10-29 17:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Such a haterr
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-10-29 17:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

um my 5yr old dell inspiron with intel 945 onboard vid will play ffxi mostly fine, havnt tryed any endgame with it but it plays ffxi better than any laptop you gonna find with vista on it
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-10-29 17:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gateway FX series gaming laptops are on par if not better than Alienware laptops. Depending on where you get it from, the price ranges from $800-1200.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-29 18:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Such a double posterr!
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-29 19:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tbest said:

I wouldn't buy an HP laptop either, HP is good at what they do and that is printers.
I like Dell and ACER. Acer moreso becuase usually you get more bang for your buck.

Though if you're basing not liking a companys laptop off of one bad incident, you kind of close yourself off.
 Lakshmi.Pud
Server: Lakshmi
user: Pud
By Lakshmi.Pud 2009-10-29 20:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Mabrook said:
If anything, Dell is not too bad of a gaming performance PC, their processors are one of the best, if not the best for PCs.

Do you have a clue what you are talking about? Dell don't produce processors, they buy them from Intel/AMD like any other laptop manufacturer.

Thats like saying Dell have the best version of Windows..