Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-01 13:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Or frequent body builder websites and forums.

Not saying he can't visit here, but at the very least those websites would hold his interest a lot better than this website would.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-08-01 13:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Apes said: »
siting

*citing

Just as a general critique, this is at best a poorly named guide. This site does have some very solid job guides, making it one of only a handful of go-to info sources. A solid general gameplay guide would likely make for an excellent addition.

Most of the information you've compiled, however, at best falls to the technical side of things, and at worst paints an unnecessarily complex picture of getting this game running.

Basic Gameplay is explaining that you can and should swap gear. What general sets to make, how to make them, how to swap them (not just saying LUA), etc. Remember, the game itself doesn't explain this much at all. SE's Adventuring Primer isn't exactly extensive either. There are solid integrated ways to do a lot of things, even if many of us opt for Gearswap.
There are a hundred other things that could be compiled in a solid post - text commands, skillchain basics, locations of basic gear or scroll selling NPCs, Trust setup suggestions, etc.

A good reference for the kind of information to include would probably be Spicyryan's excellent Quickstart Guide again over on BGWiki. Taken from a less progression-oriented mindset, a lot of that might be organized differently, for example.

'course, if that's not actually the type of thing you're interested in creating a guide for, then maybe just rename it. Having one for tweaking performance isn't bad either (were more of it actually relevant), it's just not what the title indicates the guide is.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-08-01 13:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

/Rant on

FONEWEAR!!! YOU LAZY PIECE OF DOODOO!!!! YOU CREATED A CHARACTER TO PLAY WITH US AND STILL HAVEN'T TRANSFERRED OVER!!! THAT WAS IN FEBRUARY!! FEBRUARY!! I ALREADY GOT AN R0 WEAPON AND NEED 900 MORE JP TO START LEVELING IT UP!!! YOUR LAZINESS EXCEEDS MY OWN, A FEAT BELIEVED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR DECADES!!

/RANT OOOOOOFFFFFF
He is coming to Bahamut instead >:]
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-01 14:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, you are trying way too hard now.

Just...stop.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-08-01 14:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

To the people checking out the forums without accounts, and the few who have accounts and want to play, don't let these *** made people dissuade you from playing.

To the few in the ffxiah community, you are an egotistical bunch. What is to be gained from posting on this site? There is no clout gained from this game. Those are all narratives crafted in you mind, in a long forgotten game by the masses. All who are here still, love the game, nothing more. Are you so self-involved that you can't see past your own ***, so steeped in your own niche, that you don't realize that a person can just want to do something, because they want to? Or is it because you do everything for attention, therefore everybody else does to? Thus, you comment on every thread, just shitting on every person who has a counter opinion, not because you are trying to seek a definitive answer, but for the simple reason that, it's the only thing that gets you hard at night, and gives you validation.

No one is without ego, but the level of delusion you bring to this forum, blinded by your ego, is repulsive.

I will continue to post regardless of what the *** you think.

You are not the arbiter of truth for this forum.

Continue to fondle your ball sack, and beat yourself into oblivion, because you refuse to learn how to interact with people, thus letting life pass you by.

Stay the *** out of my way, and quit barring the door for new players.
[+]
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2019-08-01 15:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Core Temp - (If you wish to monitor your CPU temperature)
70-80°F is optimal when running games.

>85°F will cause your CPU to auto shutdown, if CPU stays in that range consistently.

This is caused by factory defaults with manufacturers to protect the CPU from being fried.

I think you are using the wrong unit of measurement.

Quote:
If you want me to look over your lua file, I'm willing to help.

I think I'm fine, I have written code professionally for 15+ years.

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2019-08-01 20:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying this thread is *** stupid...but it is on FFXIAH....
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-02 08:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2019-08-02 08:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Epigram said: »
Quote:
Core Temp - (If you wish to monitor your CPU temperature)
70-80°F is optimal when running games.

>85°F will cause your CPU to auto shutdown, if CPU stays in that range consistently.

This is caused by factory defaults with manufacturers to protect the CPU from being fried.

I think you are using the wrong unit of measurement.

Quote:
If you want me to look over your lua file, I'm willing to help.

I think I'm fine, I have written code professionally for 15+ years.

Thanks for catching that. Corrected.

Facts.

My apologies.

Celcius not Fahrenheit for temps 70-80f is really cool if you are gaming, 70-80C is running hot.
 Lakshmi.Miang
Server: Lakshmi
user: Miang
By Lakshmi.Miang 2019-08-02 11:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Epigram said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Lakshmi.Miang said: »
Basic understanding of LUA:
(You don't need to be able to write scripts to use LUA, just be able to read it)

I highly recommend Visual Studio Code, a free text editor that has a huge amount of plugins making it close to an IDE for many programming languages. You can install this Lua extension, which will highlight any errors in your code without you having to go in game and see the dreaded red console errors that are hard to read for non programmers.

Plus it has built in git support for the more hardcore types, where you can setup your own private (or public) git repository somewhere and have all your GS files in a repository. You can then push all your changes to the repository, and if your PC ever dies, or you play on a laptop away from home, you can always get your most recent GS files from the git repository, all inside VSCode
VS Code is the best. I use it for all languages I code in except C#

I use VIM, except when I'm forced to use annoying things like notebooks at work. Realistically though, most of the time I get a red console error it's due to a NULL being concatenated onto a string... VS won't highlight that for obvious reasons.

VS Code can be pretty annoying with interactive python sessions (one of my typical use cases). With interactive python sessions it tends to screw up if I send more than 8 lines to session, sometimes even with just 2... I have also run into a lot of weird behavior with respect to key-bindings not working.

I wouldn’t not recommend vim for players who have no understanding of programming whatsoever lol.

The most common error I end up having to correct is people forgetting to put a comma or an open or close bracket in their sets. VSCode or any other syntax aware text editor would highlight that, and I think that would help a lot of players see where their mistake is right away, without even trying to load their gs file in game.

I’ve not used vscode for python, I mostly use it for PHP, node and front end web crap, and it works great for all of that. Sounds like the python support for vscode is crappy
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-08-02 11:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is one of those threads where the OP wants to be helpful and praised for doing so. They want to help newer players who may, or may not know ways to make FFXI a smoother experience. Having done guides myself, I know what it's like to put time and effort in to something, only for one or two to take a steaming dump all over it. My guides are never absolute 5-star quality, but I never claimed they were. People can like them or not like them, that's their choice. I'm only ever upset with those who are counter productive by contributing nothing but troll posts.

Saying that, many of the responses to the OP are correct. I went through the OP to find out if there were things I could change. The only two things I did was 1) turning shadows off, and 2) doing the DAT swap to replace conflux's etc. While other's attitudes come across as insulting, let me tell you that much of this information can be found elsewhere and explained in a more presentable way. I do appreciate you trying to be helpful, because seriously .. there's more people in these forums who'd rather troll/argue/bait than take hours making a guide to selflessly help others.

Apes, you cannot get angry when someone leaves constructive criticism .. this goes against the whole point of making a guide. You will always have those who sound insulting when sharing feedback .. that's just the way the internet is. It isn't always easy to understand someone's tone, so responses always sound harsher in text form. So while I thank you for putting the effort in, I cannot thank you for your corresponding attitude. Are others innocent? Probably not, but they likely wouldn't have kicked off had your attitude been more understanding. Much of the information you have shared is either false, or doesn't improve gameplay much at all.

Like the graphics card thing? I was using an NVIDIA Geforce 9400 GT (!) for over ten years and had very little trouble with lag. I noticed a slight boost with a 750 Ti, but nothing groundbreaking. Older cards seem to work better with this game (less freezes .. my 750 TI crashes randomly and only with this game!!), so suggesting others upgrade to something beyond the 1000 series for a 17+ year old game? Nooooooo thank you! Hopefully you don't see this post as me being a ***. This is constructive criticism to help you deal with other's posts that may not be as sugarcoated. Peace.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-08-02 12:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By volkom 2019-08-02 13:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

only 5 more pages to go
[+]
By fonewear 2019-08-02 13:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You could just pretend to be a girl on FFXI and get all the free ***you could ever want. Skip the guide.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-08-02 14:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
only 5 more pages to go
have a post towards the goal.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-02 17:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
This is one of those threads where the OP wants to be helpful and praised for doing so.
No, this is one of those threads where the OP wants to bump up his post count to be over 100.

But Vigor isn't fooling anyone anymore.