Is It Worth It?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Is it worth it?
Is it worth it?
 Odin.Ehleni
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Ehleni
By Odin.Ehleni 2019-03-25 06:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone!

I have been away from the game for several years now and planning on coming back. BRD has always been my favourite job and I have invested time and money on it.

I have 99 Gjallarhorn and 99 Daurdabla and since I played they have also released Marsyas.

With limited amount to play, I will very likely have to buy Merc. services to finish Marsyas, investing another 100mil (at least) to get it.

I would also plan to get Carnwenhan finished but that is something I can solo.

Solo stuff is way easier since I can play whenever I have time.

I just have a fairly quick question. Is BRD still used a lot in end-game/normal day parties? Or has it lost to GEO or other buffing jobs? Is it worth investing the time and money getting both Carnwenhan and Marsyas? If I in the end won't get much play time as BRD then I should perhaps in a different job.
By eliroo 2019-03-25 07:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD still loses to other buffing jobs (imo) but people are taking all three buffing jobs right now. Groups having BRD/GEO/COR in them are pretty much the meta right now. So if you take the time to gear your BRD you will definitely find time to play on it. You can also become a pretty stellar melee as BRD.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Xavierreivax
Server: Asura
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Xavierreivax 2019-03-25 07:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

am I worth it? Put your thing down, flip it and reverse it.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-25 07:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Xavierreivax said: »
am I worth it? Put your thing down, flip it and reverse it.
iss yurr fweminippi fwep yet uh huh
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-03-25 08:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
BRD still loses to other buffing jobs (imo) but people are taking all three buffing jobs right now

Brd can cap your magic haste and add like +250accuracy and +232attack at the same time. This is something that GEO or COR can't do. GEO is better with capping pDIF. COR provides stp and da. So I wouldn't say any of the buffing job is better or worse, they are simply used for different buffs.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-03-25 08:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite frankly you probably don't have to merc it. Farm your beads this month while people are still scrambling for pulse weapons or during the domain invasion event and then start knocking out your clears. A lot of groups would gladly take in a career bard still I'm sure.
By eliroo 2019-03-25 08:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Brd can cap your magic haste and add like +250accuracy and +232attack at the same time. This is something that GEO or COR can't do. GEO is better with capping pDIF. COR provides str and da. So I wouldn't say any of the buffing job is better or worse, they are simply used for different buffs.

Geo can cap magic haste and Lower a mobs defense and evasion. The only downer is the 4 minutes entrust is on CD and you are down to two bubbles. On most mobs Frailty will be a lot more efficient than any static number of attack. The only competition that BRD outright wins in is Accuracy.

I do agree its harder to compare because they do things differently but if the meta shifts in any way GEO and COR are more compatible with various comps than BRD is which is why I think they are overall the weaker support.
 Odin.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-03-25 09:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, Brd is worth it. Brd is rather popular at the moment as Melee has resurged with recent buffs to their jobs / weapons, etc. Brd is used for Melee Aeonic clears, Omen, Dyna-D, and was even used for this month's ambuscade. So it is well worth getting it geared.

I think with your gear, you might be good enough to get into a static aeonic group without needing to merc it. But if you're hell-bent on it, here are the current Aeonic prices / comparisons:.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/53282/comparative-aeonic-mercing-guide/1/#3407966
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2019-03-25 09:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

But that lullaby duration.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-25 09:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bard is worth it. I wouldn't say that it could outright compete or replace a GEO or COR, but it's very useful for crowd control, especially in Ambu fights. One thing BRD can do a bit more proficient than GEO is close range DPS (a sizable chunk at that). GEO has to constantly be concerned about using Pet DT gear, else risk having to recast bubbles often. BRD doesn't have this issue, and can contribute DPS to any zerg styled fights. They also got a new weapon to play around with from Ambu, making them even better.

For what you're probably going to want to get done, BRD is just fine. People shout for it for everything currently, so you'll always be in demand.
By Nariont 2019-03-25 09:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Simon listed the main pro's of BRD, geo/cor have more flexibility in assisting magic style DPS via rolls/bubbles, but if its melee or even phys ranged oriented, brds going to likely be involved
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2019-03-25 09:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

yes. (for Draylo)
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-03-25 09:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

but why?
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2019-03-25 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Brd is always useful in endgame, unless you are summon burning things, it is always wanted. Dynamis D wave 3 groups have hard time getting people to play bard in the first place. Of the three main buff jobs it is the most expensive to fully gear, far outstripping Geo and cor (though that could be different if you considered Rostam and Death Penalty as required gear).

I built a mule with everything brd can get, and I use it every day I am doing stuff. That said even doing low man stuff I still find it a good investment of gil and time. Cor was easy to gear, and if you use regal neck it still is. And even Idris Geo's are a dime a dozen my ls of 12 people has 6 people with it.

For melee groups the haste acc and attack you can give is near unbeatable, and the ability to CC mobs is second to none but the best geared rdm sub blm.

The only real downside is pet built pt's usually only need you for a gimmick such as elemental sleep on adds on albumen.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-25 14:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD has the most powerful accuracy buffs in the game, and when paired with RDM's evasion down can allow for things that honestly shouldn't be viable, like even off-melee like RDM being able to hit the highest level content in the game with non-ilvl weapons.

So yeah, I'd say that's worth it. It may not always be mandatory, but it will always be useful.
[+]
 Odin.Ehleni
user: Ehleni
By Odin.Ehleni 2019-03-29 03:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow I did not expect that many replies! But I will surely get started on this. First I will have to build up beads which at this points seems like a long way ahead.

I tried it the last two days and every time I'm pretty much alone at Quetzalcoatl. On a few occasions there are people triple boxing him but I end up getting killed due to Spike Flail or being slept all the time. Here I play my NIN job which is fairly decently equipped I think.

First night I managed to get 1000 beads in a single round but that was when we were a lot more people.

Thanks for the replies!
By DaneBlood 2019-03-29 07:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ehleni said: »
Wow I did not expect that many replies! But I will surely get started on this. First I will have to build up beads which at this points seems like a long way ahead.

I tried it the last two days and every time I'm pretty much alone at Quetzalcoatl. On a few occasions there are people triple boxing him but I end up getting killed due to Spike Flail or being slept all the time. Here I play my NIN job which is fairly decently equipped I think.

First night I managed to get 1000 beads in a single round but that was when we were a lot more people.

Thanks for the replies!

beating on the dragosn especial udring this month where they are in esysy mode will get you the beads fast. 1000beads per fight
go on a crit job
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-03-29 07:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it's worth it, BRD's are hella awesome and practically required in any melee setup. Plus you get to boss melee's around like they your ho's.