Best Job For Soloing Content?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Best Job for soloing content?
Best Job for soloing content?
First Page 2 3
By soralin 2019-03-15 18:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So as servers continue to slowly shrink, Im curious about what job(s) you guys think are the best at soloing content all around?

I also have a pocket Geo I can pull out and duo box with.

My main job is an Aegis+Ochain+Excal paladin, and it can do quite a bit of content, but its my understanding other jobs can do it better, easier, and faster.

So, the goals would be:

• Ambuscade (of course)

• Dyna Divergence farming

• Escha NM farming (the closest I can get to soloing an entire Aeonic, the better)

• Speed farming VD AA fights and other merit point battlefields

So far the top contenders Ive seen, in my understanding are:

• Puppetmaster

• Beastmaster

• Blue Mage

• Rune Fencer

• Scholar

It seems like those are the best options. I can make the gil to pimp out any of the above jobs no problem, but whichever job I choose I'd like to get max value out of as my 'final' job in FFXI.

Which do you guys think will go farther?

Also, some things Id like to avoid:

1. Requiring multiple DREAM weapons to hit solo tier. I would optimally prefer a job that can right away hit solo grinding tier on high end content with one of the new Ambuscade weapons, as I have everything on hand to make one right now. Id prefer gearing the job to cost under 100 mil to achieve 'gets there' tier

2. No dependency on Dark Matter Augment stuff. That insane RNG is super annoying, and I have some pieces for other jobs Im currently burning dark matter campaigns on.

3. Depending on specific trusts is fine, I almost have every trust in the game.

4. Ergon weapons are okay though, as I am like 3 weeks away from getting legendary in my last coalition, so Epeolatry is on the table as an option!
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-03-15 18:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

From my very biased point of view I say Rune Fencer just because it's awesome.

But seriously, the easiest jobs to solo with are SCH or BLU. Them two jobs are the king of soloing.

-You don't need any rema for anything.

-You can do it with very basic augments, as long as they are moderately helpful.

-I personally like a way to cap haste when soloing as that is my biggest weakness soloing. Find out what yours is, it could be having a tank, or need more healers.

-Same as 1st point, rema isn't needed to solo any content or do any content.
By soralin 2019-03-15 19:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Sch or Blu make heavy use of any of the new Ambu weapons well? I basically have one in the bank now I can use at any time so, if I can use that to rapidly ascend to solo tier, Id love that.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-03-15 19:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu can make the club, for Black Halo, and it is very good.
I have no clue about Sch.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-15 19:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue mage natively has all of the tools to do what you're trying to accomplish above. Having good sets and macros along with great gear is key. That's probably going to be your bread and butter, especially with a job like geomancer to pair with it.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-03-15 19:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmaster can do a lot solo. BST + GEO or BST + COR is badass. But for my money, even though it's slower than some other options, solo puppetmaster is The Truth. Having a damn near unkillable pet that can tank while the master DDs, or do pure pet solos like beastmaster, but from a safe distance, it makes fights much more consistent. Also, Overdrive makes your automaton a god for several minutes, enough to take out a lot of tough fights. Many HTBFs are practically designed for PUP to romp all over them. Pair it with a COR for Companion's and Beast rolls, speeds up fights and makes self-SCs in pet-only easier.

Downsides to PUP are Doom and adds.
By Shichishito 2019-03-15 21:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

hand jobs is the way to go for solo content, but with a pocket geo a lot of other jobs become viable.

i'm missing SMN on your list, they also have good solo potential in geas fete.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-03-15 21:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bst or pup will solo things blue mages wish they could.

I don't know if the inverse is ever true.
By Shichishito 2019-03-15 21:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Bst or pup will solo things blue mages wish they could.

I don't know if the inverse is ever true.

the caturae that kinda require requiescat is one of the instances where PUP or BST would struggle compared to BLU.

i'm not sure how it is with PUP but i think BST solos mostly revolve around throwing gil at the mob in form of pets and healing items, something to keep in mind.

most content these days is designed around a gimmick that favors certain jobs and exploits other jobs weaknesses, thats why i don't see for example a full geas fete clear with a single job, no matter how pimped it is, possible in the near future.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-03-15 22:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, using hermes, the caturae are usually not too bad

Pup solo's some pretty difficult fights with Overdrive. Like Sovereign Behemoth, Old Shuck, others.

Bst can do the Dawn Mulsum thing, but its not terribly needed. Beaztmaster does that in a lot of his solo videos. However for Geas Fete, thats not how I do them.

but I'm not trying to solo w/out trusts.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-03-15 23:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You can solo cats pretty easily with mandy. PUP can cover almost all damage types (especially H2H, which trusts suck on) so it's great for them too.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Cambion
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2019-03-16 00:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact Dancer hasn't even been mentioned yet, is a god damned travesty.

Dancer and Blue Mage are your best 2 options, because while they may be 1 tier under Pet jobs for pure-solo ability, they're still in the same tier as 90% of other DPS jobs in the game. This allows you to slide right into any functioning party/alli for current content and operate normally as well as provide support, even if people are too ignorant to notice that support.

Smn gets a free pass to a lot of things I guess, but no Pup or Bst is getting brought to 95% of the shouted end-game content these days, whereas Blu and Dnc absolutely will.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-16 01:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cambion said: »

soralin said: »

Puppetmaster

Beastmaster

Blue Mage

Rune Fencer

Scholar
By geigei 2019-03-16 01:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Only blu can do all the things you listed.
 Asura.Cambion
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2019-03-16 01:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Puppetmaster

Beastmaster

Blue Mage

Rune Fencer

Scholar

Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-03-16 02:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Beast Master is a strong soloist because you can cheese it with enough mulsum. Throw in a GEO and a COR would help a lot.

I personally think DNC is probably a really strong soloist since it can get more than 50% DT with its JA, self cures, do debuffs, and has very strong spike damage while taking combine with huge SC damage.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2019-03-16 04:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I always felt Bst and Smn were cheesy. A pet doing your work, that you can desummon, re summon and never be responsible for hate management.

To me, soloing content must be done by my hand, my macros, my blade. No script, no pet.

Blu for the mos part is the best solo job to handle most content. It can change its battle style to fit many needs of different content.
Sch: can DoT or skillchain kill the few things blu struggles with. Either kite tank it or one trust tank it.

Lastly, there are a few mobs you must do insane dmg to very fast. For that, drk apoc and blood weapon, I would use.
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2019-03-16 05:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

DNC and DRG should definitely be on that list, with DNC being on top next to BLU, these three jobs are versatile, fast, and require low support to survive than any other option you listed when it comes to clearing today's content.
Should also consider RDM, and COR.

Personally, I would rate them in terms of speed as: DNC [cause Clim exits and OP at Tanking, Healing, Debuffs] >>>> DRG> BLU> COR> RUN> SMN> RDM> PUP> BST>>> SCH.
By SimonSes 2019-03-16 05:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
I always felt Bst and Smn were cheesy. A pet doing your work, that you can desummon, re summon and never be responsible for hate management.

To me, soloing content must be done by my hand, my macros, my blade. No script, no pet.

There is no cheesy in SMN solo other than AC zerg. Go try it then comment.
[+]
By kasain 2019-03-16 05:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »

There is no cheesy in SMN solo other than AC zerg. Go try it then comment.

ATM it is AC zerg, but the games bee around fr years. And cheesy smn has been many times. One of my prime examples would be Walk of Echos. There were many before that as well.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-03-16 05:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
hand jobs is the way to go for solo content, but with a pocket geo a lot of other jobs become viable.

I wouldn't use Papesse as a good "solo" example. He's already got all the hard-to-get gear and is somewhat widely considered to be one of the best SMNs in the game in this day and age.

You'll get more mileage out of a blue mage than an unmaster smn with piss poor BP gear.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-03-16 05:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Smn gets a free pass to a lot of things I guess, but no Pup or Bst is getting brought to 95% of the shouted end-game content these days, whereas Blu and Dnc absolutely will.

Shouted content is your standard huh?
because shouts of full of knowledgeable players who wisely choose the best players and jobs for the event.

Quote:
I wouldn't use Papesse as a good "solo" example. He's already got all the hard-to-get gear and is somewhat widely considered to be one of the best SMNs in the game in this day and age.

You'll get more mileage out of a blue mage than an unmaster smn with piss poor BP gear.

Any soloist needs better gear than a party player. It doesn't matter the job. You need to make more gear sets and be better at using the right gear for the right situation.

If you are playing solo, there is less room for error. you don't have someone else to save you and fix it when you mess up. You need dt sets and or pdt sets. meva, enmity, ja sets for Subjob ablities (like cure and waltz)

you do not need all the best gear to do this, but it helps. and you will make the sets that are good, then you will tweak them until they are perfect.

You're really saying "Oh, I don't like summoner, so I'm making a lame excuse about the player so it doesn't count. I mean they are a fantastic player showcasing what can be done w/t job, but it doesn't really count, because I can't do that w/ the job and neither will you be able to"

doesn't work bro. summoner has long been an excellent soloer
By Cronnus 2019-03-16 07:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
Shichishito said: »

On top of what he says. Those trusts have double HP and MP. This was clearly done during a campaign and they resist things more often. So I wouldn't call these that great.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-03-16 07:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Papesse could probably solo both of those without trusts woth the current gear. They were done long ago, there has been a substantial increase in gear since then. And yakshi is not dangerous at all if mewing is being used. Only when he gets tp moves off is he hard and becomes a major problem.

That being said, soloing on requires an amazing smn for anything remotely hard, career smn like papesse are underrated. 9/10 smn probably couldnt solo half of the things papesse could. Playing smn right is more than just ac zerging.
By soralin 2019-03-16 08:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Dancer cannot use Naegling, Shining One, or Maxentius.

I don't know how good Tauret is, but it seems to be more middle of the range in terms of throughput compared to stuff like Naegling.

Is Rudra's still spammable with Tauret, or do you want an Eviscration set only for it?

The ability to just make a TP Bonus offhand for Naegling and call it a day is a pretty huge point on favor of any sword job that can use it, like blu.
By Cronnus 2019-03-16 08:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Papesse could probably solo both of those without trusts woth the current gear. They were done long ago, there has been a substantial increase in gear since then. And yakshi is not dangerous at all if mewing is being used. Only when he gets tp moves off is he hard and becomes a major problem.

That being said, soloing on requires an amazing smn for anything remotely hard, career smn like papesse are underrated. 9/10 smn probably couldnt solo half of the things papesse could. Playing smn right is more than just ac zerging.

I'm sure its doable. I'll agree. But it would be far more macro intensive fight. Summoner is extremely squishy. A few hits while calling a new pet and it's over. Even running away each time theres no snarl like BST has each time you have to recast. Youd be fighting the timer more so than maybe fighting to stay alive. Trusts play such a massive role (in fights like these. Timed and T3 T4),especially in a campaign buffing them.
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2019-03-16 08:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Dancer cannot use Naegling, Shining One, or Maxentius.

I don't know how good Tauret is, but it seems to be more middle of the range in terms of throughput compared to stuff like Naegling.

Is Rudra's still spammable with Tauret, or do you want an Eviscration set only for it?

The ability to just make a TP Bonus offhand for Naegling and call it a day is a pretty huge point on favor of any sword job that can use it, like blu.

There I fixed the first post for you in bold:

So as servers continue to slowly shrink, Im curious about what job(s) you guys think are the best at soloing content all around?

I also have a pocket Geo I can pull out and duo box with.

My main job is an Aegis+Ochain+Excal paladin, and it can do quite a bit of content, but its my understanding other jobs can do it better, easier, and faster.

So, the goals would be:

• Ambuscade (of course)

• Dyna Divergence farming

• Escha NM farming (the closest I can get to soloing an entire Aeonic, the better)

• Speed farming VD AA fights and other merit point battlefields

• Shining One

• Naegling

• Maxentius

It seems like those are the best options. I can make the gil to pimp out any of the above jobs no problem, but whichever job I choose I'd like to get max value out of as my 'final' job in FFXI.

Which do you guys think will go farther?

Also, some things Id like to avoid:

1. Requiring multiple DREAM weapons to hit solo tier. I would optimally prefer a job that can right away hit solo grinding tier on high end content with one of the new Ambuscade weapons, as I have everything on hand to make one right now. Id prefer gearing the job to cost under 100 mil to achieve 'gets there' tier

2. No dependency on Dark Matter Augment stuff. That insane RNG is super annoying, and I have some pieces for other jobs Im currently burning dark matter campaigns on.

3. Depending on specific trusts is fine, I almost have every trust in the game.

4. Ergon weapons are okay though, as I am like 3 weeks away from getting legendary in my last coalition, so Epeolatry is on the table as an option!

And it seems to me, you already made up your mind on BLU:

Go for it, if you think other options need more resources.
By SimonSes 2019-03-16 10:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to duo dynamis D you pretty much need to have best gesr on both chars. You can do it on blu and geo but it will be hard without cor ability to one shot statues. Blu needs good pdt, good sanguine blade set and good savage blade set to be able to almost one shot with it. Good macc set too to Lunge everything for eaaier kills. You also better practice dual boxing, because you will have plenty to do on both chars.

Blu can also duo escha but optimally you would probably want good nuking gear on geo to magic burst on blu skillchains. Lunge set will also be very nice. In general tho, you will probably have many enemies that you wont be able to kill. The best jobs to duo escha would be probably dnc and sam. Sam has very good weapon from ambu which is Shining One but tbh solo you would like multistep sc with gkt. Why i think they are best? Because they can zerg most stuff avoiding whole mechanic. DNC is amazing for this in escha because you can take advantage of wings and just do few rudras without even engaging and giving enemy chance to get tp for tp move. You need Centovente offhand for this tho.

Ambuscade is whole different story. Its a coin toss if your duo setup will be able to make normal or less in next month.

I have never tried farming vd aa, but based on vd avatars fight, you cant really speed farm them with duo. You need strong defensive and offensive buffs to make it easy and you cant really provide both with duo, even with trusts.
By SimonSes 2019-03-16 10:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You need acc buffs from brd to take advantage of tp bonus offhand. You can torpor on geo but you lose fury or frality then and you need them too. Torpor is also not that potent to make up for lack of songs.
First Page 2 3