JobDisplay Addon
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-20 22:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Devastation said:
I didn't want to say anything at first. You seemed to be having a blast creating your addon. I found the Shihei Counter interesting, but don't you find it redundant with "Haste Samba: O" when the animation should be on your screen or the status icon on the top left?

I am having a blast with this project and am glad I shared the concept before I finished it. It helped me define my goals for the addon.(okay, and maybe a few "bells & whistles" distractions). Gearswap scared me. It took me a while to dive into the LUA, but I feel like I am learning a good bit now as I pick up momentum.

As for the Sambas, your point is fair, and I also wondered that but at the same time I think Inuyushi summed it up perfectly. I think it's the same reason people will use the enhanced visuals for Timers vs the plain layout. People will find different things useful in their own way. I don't play DNC past a subjob and even then I use a mule so I'm often not sub dancer.

I'm hoping for more feedback once I finally get my initial release out. I imagine the biggest gripe will be narrowing down a "default" layout. "Do you really need to show this? It's too much information and is distracting" vs "Yes please keep that".
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2019-03-21 12:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Paulu said: »

Shiva.Devastation said:
I didn't want to say anything at first. You seemed to be having a blast creating your addon. I found the Shihei Counter interesting, but don't you find it redundant with "Haste Samba: O" when the animation should be on your screen or the status icon on the top left?

As for the Sambas, your point is fair, and I also wondered that but at the same time I think Inuyushi summed it up perfectly. I think it's the same reason people will use the enhanced visuals for Timers vs the plain layout. People will find different things useful in their own way. I don't play DNC past a subjob and even then I use a mule so I'm often not sub dancer.

I'm actually really glad you're adding this kind of thing in Paulu, and going with that mentality. I think being able to track important buffs in a clear way is invaluable. At the end of the day the ffxi buff/debuff bar is a mess. It's full of ***constantly that we don't care about (like the 9 individual STAT+ buffs in abyssea), and you can find the information you want far faster by looking in a place you know will have exactly the information you want, in exactly the same place, every time.

Speaking of dancer, A finishing move tracker would be a great addition to the default I think! Sadly, despite being able to accumulate some 8/9 finishing moves, the game only has icons for 1-5, which means you might have to do a similar thing to the shadow counter and only count to "5+"

I'm hoping for more feedback once I finally get my initial release out. I imagine the biggest gripe will be narrowing down a "default" layout. "Do you really need to show this? It's too much information and is distracting" vs "Yes please keep that".

I think the main thing here will be ensuring that you have an idiot-proof system for adding/removing abilities from the default, and saving the layout. There will be far fewer complaints about the default, if it's easy for the user to make changes.

I think with an addon like this, where every user will want a slightly different functionality, the default matters less than the ease of customization, and you can minimize most complaints about the default settings by focusing on that! :)

Edit: I think focusing on customization will also reduce your future work/maintenance load. For example, Yes you could create something that tracks Shihei specifically, but then someone is going to ask you to track trump cards next, or echo drops, etc.

So instead, maybe put in the extra work now and create a functionality where users can just add a tracker for any item within their inventory/sack/satchel. Then any user can track any item with a simple //jd Track-Item "Copper Ore" or something.

(And if you're already doing this then ***' Kudos to you mate, I'll just go lock myself back in my box where I belong XD)
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-23 09:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Tracking GEO spell timers would be nice.
Which spells are you referring to? Geomancy spell recast or Elemental spell recasts?
 Bismarck.Feanorsof
Server: Bismarck
user: Feanorsof
By Bismarck.Feanorsof 2019-03-23 10:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Indi spells would be really useful to track, not the recast but the duration.

Also great job with the addon, looking forward to using it!
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2019-03-23 13:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you aware of SE's built in timers for your indi spell.

This is a cool addon. Is the status bar always floating above your head? Or can you stick it somewhere out of the way?
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-23 19:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chasuro said: »
Are you aware of SE's built in timers for your indi spell.

This is a cool addon. Is the status bar always floating above your head? Or can you stick it somewhere out of the way?
Tracking Colure Active will do this similar to how I showed RDM tracking refresh or haste on themselves.

It can be dragged around. Default x/y pos can be set in the settings file.
[+]
By Aerison 2019-03-23 21:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Tracking GEO spell timers would be nice.
Which spells are you referring to? Geomancy spell recast or Elemental spell recasts?
Indi, Geo, Entrust all of them in a nice package in one spot would be great.

Duration I meant.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-24 22:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Addon is ready for some testing! I updated the OP with a link.
Extract and save the folder with the rest of the your addons.

If anyone has questions I will most likely answer in the afternoon tomorrow after work or from my phone while at work. Enjoy!
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-29 12:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand how to get more abilities to display from my subjob. After reading and messing around with it, the default will show me one job ability like Berserk but when I try add: Ability_Display(7,34)

It does not list any text for that ability. Just an extra space.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-29 12:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I do need to circle around and enhance the documentation and provide some examples.

Using Subjob_Display grants only 1 predetermined ability based on your current subjob. If you want to add something else you'll want to use the Ability_Display instead.

Once you start using customs you could start adding logic. Example of a custom RUN:

sub and main are variables accessible by JobDisplay for the player's current main/sub job. (I didn't provide that documentation yet)

This can go in the custom/RUN file and in this example if the player subjob is equal to warrior then adds another display in column 10 for Defender.
Code
if sub == 'WAR' then
	Subjob_Display(9)
	Ability_Display(10,3,57) -- Defender
else
	Subjob_Display(9)
        Empty(10)

Subs displayed with 'Subjob_Display()':
SAM - Tracks Hasso/Seigan/ThirdEye.
DNC - Samba tracker
BLM - Ele. Sseal
RDM - Convert
WHM - D. Seal
NIN - Shihei counter
SMN - BP Ward for mewing spam
DRG - High Jump
RNG - Sharpshot
MNK - Focus
THF - SA
COR - Phantom Roll
GEO - Collimated Fervor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PUP - Pet Display Name & HP% (when a pet is active)
BST - Pet Display Name & HP% (when a pet is active)
RUN - Vallation
BLU - Defense Bonus up/down
WAR - Berserk
SCH - Stratagem Counter
PLD - Sentinel

BRD displays Empty() as I found nothing worth tracking as a subjob.
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-29 14:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That is what I am talking about. I used what you said and turned on custom for DNC. Everything else displays fine but adding another subjob ability is problematic :<
Code
-- DANCER --
function custom_DNC() -- Don't alter this line!!

--1-- Set
		Set_Display(1)
		--2-- HPP
		HPP_Display(2)
		--3--
		Steps_Display(3)
		--4-- Flourishes I
		Ability_Display(4,221) 
		--5-- Flourishes II
		Ability_Display(5,222)
		--6-- Flourishes III
		Ability_Display(6,226)
		--7-- 
		--Ability_Display(7,34)
	if sub == 'WAR' then
		Subjob_Display(7)
		Ability_Display(8,34) -- Aggressor
	else
		Subjob_Display(7)
			Empty(8)
	end

end -- Don't alter this line!!

This is what it looks like in the custom lua but it does this:

Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-29 16:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Line 20, Ability_Display(8,34) -- Aggressor
Change the '34' to '4'.

If you wanted to track the buff effect associated to aggressor you could also change it to Ability_Display(8,4,58)

34 is Enmity Douse. If an ability is entered which the user doesn't posses I have it default to blank.
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-29 17:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel so dumb. Thank you x.x
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-30 10:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Next problem is that I am spammed with this as soon as I zone into salvage. ^^;

Bismarck.Xurion
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2019-03-30 12:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You should consider extracting the zip on Github. You will find accepting pull requests in a zip file an almost impossible task.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-30 16:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohh Pathos, that's cute...
Time to do some Salvage and troubleshoot.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-30 17:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Rikimarueye said: »

I am having trouble recreating this issue. Could you tell me which job you were on at the time,if any of the columns were displaying, and what you were trying to display? Typically if one has an issue the renaming columns will cease to display.
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-30 21:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I am having trouble recreating this issue. Could you tell me which job you were on at the time,if any of the columns were displaying, and what you were trying to display? Typically if one has an issue the renaming columns will cease to display.

I was on DNC/WAR. All the columns were displaying but it stopped updating it even after the appropriate stuff is unlocked later.

This is what I have in my custom DNC file.
Code
-- DANCER --
function custom_DNC() -- Don't alter this line!!

--1-- Set
		Set_Display(1)
		--2-- HPP
		HPP_Display(2)
		--3--
		Steps_Display(3)
		--4-- Flourishes I
		Ability_Display(4,221) 
		--5-- Flourishes II
		Ability_Display(5,222)
		--6-- Flourishes III
		Ability_Display(6,226)
		--7-- 
		--Ability_Display(7,34)
	if sub == 'WAR' then
		Subjob_Display(7)
		Ability_Display(8,4)
		Ability_Display(9,2)-- Aggressor
	else
		Subjob_Display(7)
			Empty(8)
			Empty(8)
	end

--10--
		Empty(10)

end -- Don't alter this line!!
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-03-30 21:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any way to try this addon out at the moment? I'd love to try it, it looks awesome, man. Very good job!
By Rikimarueye 2019-03-31 12:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it was pulled down to fix a few things ^^ It should be up soon he is done :D
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-03-31 22:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed. All you'll need is the latest copy of the JobDisplay.lua

I've now accounted for Subjob Restriction, Level Sync, and Level Restriction. You'll notice the display vanish for about 7 seconds whenever you receive or lose those effects to allow your client to update the list of abilities your character currently has available to them. I wasn't refreshing that list so when the SJ abilities were no longer an option it didn't like that.

Thank you Rikimarueye!

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Is there any way to try this addon out at the moment? I'd love to try it, it looks awesome, man. Very good job!
It's hosted again. The OP has the link now. Please don't hesitate to point out any issues or suggestions.
By Rikimarueye 2019-04-01 02:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope I am not a bother but but but!

I am not sure if this is intended but -everytime- I zone the bar disappears and reappears. It doesn't matter what zone I am in or going to. I was not sure if that was intended.

This plays very noicely with my haste rules and updates promptly on buff change as according to my haste rules.

Another problem I ran into was that the colors for Berserks' X was backwards. Upon use it would display a light blue and eventually turn red and then to orangey color. Aggressor and Warcry did not have this display issue.

This is as DNC/WAR right after use.

And right as I was finishing up this post, I tried to add a tracker for Aftermath Lv3 which is ID 272 in the 9th column (replacing the code I had there previously and this happens:

P.S. I really like this addon :>

P.P.S. How do I make custom information like a mode persistent information in the addon without it toggling the display off and on upon activation? I've been trying to get it to display just like the Set: column. It's local to the specific job.

Edit: 5:47 AM EST
P.P.P.S FINALLY! I figured out my problems. The Berserk issue is still there but I was using the wrong call for AM3 and instead I used your Buff_Display like I should of been using (silly mistake). I also made it so I can input -any- custom mode I wrote to display in this HUD :> Without modifying your work of art! All of it can be placed inside your lua for the specific job in this case my Eternal stance for DNC is set to Fan because of the specifications in my lua + buff being active.

I still need to work out the formatting but overall I'd say progress.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-04-01 17:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's no bother at all! It's great to see others enjoying the addon as well. I'm still working on some of the other requests along with optimizations and fine-tuning. This included the display blinking when zoning. It's related to the fix I used when gaining level restriction, subjob restriction, or level sync. The display will definitely disappear for at least 7 seconds,(shorter when zoning), and then possibly blink as it updates what JA are possible under your current condition. I still need to tweak that a bit, honestly.

Currently the only two things set to track buffs are the Buff_Display and then Ability_Display(x,y,z) where z is the ID of the buff to track.

It seems like the issue you see with Berserk is how I planned it. Please correct me if I misunderstood but--Using Ability_Display this way changes the default Green O / Red X functionality. The light blue color indicates that the buff is currently active on you. When you use Berserk this changes it from being up to down represented by the O changing to X. If anyone has a more intuitive approach I welcome the discussion. That's the purpose of this thread.
[+]
By Rikimarueye 2019-04-02 14:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess what happened today? :<

I zoned into salvage again and got this:

I am using the updated version you posted. :<

By Rikimarueye 2019-04-02 18:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sowwi for the double post but . . .

In nashmau, I changed to BLM/WAR and it displayed this error on the default settings for BLM.

Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2019-04-03 02:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the plan for merging to master? All changes seem to be going into a branch called JobDisplay-1.

Master has no JobDisplay specific files so setting up PRs is fiddly + people that hit the repo have to dig around for the right code.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2019-04-04 21:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Rikimarueye
I've updated the defaults/BLM.lua file to remove Cascade. Cascade is missing from one of the Windower ability_recasts file which is the issue. All the ability/spell/buff/item timers and buffs rely on the Windower resources. ID 12 is missing. I had opened a bug report with them for this.

For the Salvage issue: I knew it wasn't perfect but I was hoping THAT wouldn't have happened again. I'll work on this during the weekend hopefully. If you reload the addon that should get it running again. As a side note, I fixed the error spam when logging in/out as well.

@ Xurion
This is my first rodeo with Github. I cleaned it up today. I need to spend more time on this. I admittedly didn't spend any time reading the introductory material in my haste to deliver the goods.
By Rikimarueye 2019-04-04 22:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all your help!
 Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2019-04-05 02:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Xurion
This is my first rodeo with Github. I cleaned it up today. I need to spend more time on this. I admittedly didn't spend any time reading the introductory material in my haste to deliver the goods.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/issues with it. I use Github on a daily basis ^^
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2019-04-06 00:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I get a 404 error on your lua link. Still working on it? :)