Returning Player - Needs Gear Help

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Returning player - needs gear help
Returning player - needs gear help
 Phoenix.Felonius
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
Posts: 70
By Phoenix.Felonius 2019-01-04 10:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Hi,

I am returning after about 5 years off. My main job has always been thief and still will be primarily but in order to assist my LS I want to gear Bard and make that my second job.

Is there any old gear I might have had still usable (mary's horn etc...) or should I just start over completely...

Is there gear I can basically easily get that I should focus on to get to a usable standpoint (Ambuscade, upgrade AF/Abby Gear, Bayld gear, etc.) so I can be a help immediately before actually working on getting gear that may be better but take a while to get...

Thanks for your help!
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Isiolia
Posts: 214
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-01-07 15:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply
 
There's a good gear-only guide here on BG Wiki if you haven't checked that out already. The beginner/returning sets are very modest, and chances are even the mid-level sets could be pulled together fairly quickly.

The easiest thing for an extra song instrument would be to make a Terpander. As you'll likely want a Daurdabla in the long term though, it may be better to just put the time in now. Or if an LS CP party will have you, just get to Su2 for a Blurred Harp as that'd be cheaper.
Keep in mind that Clarion Call works similarly to those instruments, in that the additional song slot stays as long as you maintain it. So if you do end up going the Su2 route, you can still keep up three songs (provided you don't let them drop).
 Phoenix.Felonius
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
Posts: 70
By Phoenix.Felonius 2019-01-08 08:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks, very much appreciated. I will read through that guide! Getting a CP party shouldn't be a problem so will probably go that route at first.
 Phoenix.Felonius
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
Posts: 70
By Phoenix.Felonius 2019-01-24 12:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Out of curiousity regarding the REMA items, why would I want a Daurdabla in the long run? The gear guide never shows a gear set that uses it?

I was thinking of building Gjallarhorn though, which is in a number of the gear sets from the guide.

Am I missing something? Thanks!
 Asura.Chaostaru
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 686
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-01-24 12:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Phoenix.Felonius said: »
Out of curiousity regarding the REMA items, why would I want a Daurdabla in the long run? The gear guide never shows a gear set that uses it?

I was thinking of building Gjallarhorn though, which is in a number of the gear sets from the guide.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Daurdabla at 99 grants you 2 extra songs, You equip it to play 4 dummy songs, then equip G Horn and play 4 good songs.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kealohaa
Posts: 155
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2019-01-24 12:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Phoenix.Felonius said: »
Out of curiousity regarding the REMA items, why would I want a Daurdabla in the long run? The gear guide never shows a gear set that uses it?

I was thinking of building Gjallarhorn though, which is in a number of the gear sets from the guide.

Am I missing something? Thanks!
90 Daurdabla gives you 3 songs like Terpander. However, 99 Daurdabla gives you 4 songs. With Clarion, that's 5 songs. So its obvious the more songs you can give, the more valuable you will become.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5206
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-24 12:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Keep in mind that Clarion Call works similarly to those instruments, in that the additional song slot stays as long as you maintain it. So if you do end up going the Su2 route, you can still keep up three songs (provided you don't let them drop).

You can keep up 4 songs even, which makes you that much more valuable in a CP party shouting for a "4 Song Bard" (not sure why anyone would do that, but you instantly qualify). As long as nobody dies, nothing can dispel your songs, and you do your job of maintaining them, you can pull clumbs of mobs + resing regularly for the duration of the party and everyone will congratulate you on your uber brd skills.

Additionally, if you feel like it, you can pick up a Linos flute (dropped from an alluvion skirmish) and augment it with "All Songs +2" (good luck...); you'll now have a decent amount of singing power (you can buy the nq whistle as well) for your songs for whatever event you need to get into to get your gear for your thf. Sure you won't compare to a Ghorn/Marsyas/Daurdabla/Carnwenhan BRD, but for your goals, you won't need to. Honestly, you don't need to be a perfect BRD if you aren't doing any high-tier content, so if you don't want to make a Daurdabla, you do not have to. If you follow the progression of BRD gear sets here, you should be fine.
 Leviathan.Andret
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
Posts: 533
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-01-24 13:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I don't think it's a good idea to play as bard for a returning player. The 1st thing that people tend to expect from a bard would be one of the ultimate instruments. You also need to keep up with a hefty amount of magic accuracy and fast cast to roll around effectively.

That means you would be spending a fair bit of time and effort to gear up your bard while your thf stays in the background for months.

I personally recommend Geo or Whm. Neither of which requires extensive gear to be 'in demand' in almost everything.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5206
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-24 13:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Good points. I'd take it a step further and just go for Corsair. Corsair is easy enough and the roll bonuses are very useful, even with low roll bonus gear. New/returning players can buy +5 roll bonus ring for pennies, and they will qualify for content using most of the same gear THF has access to. The learning curve is not challenging, and most people inviting COR for lower content already have a DD, so you're not expected to contribute as heavily in that area.

I do agree GEO is easy enough to pick up and play, but it does require a new/returning player to run around and collect all the GEO spells, which is kind of annoying. Corsairs can buy all of their items/abilities virtually in one place, and whatever gear progress they make for their thief oftentimes directly improves their Corsair, vs using Geo you have two different gear ranges. For Corsair, you can also just get by with the "bare minimum" rolls and still qualify for things like Omen, where you're hardly asked to do more than roll chaos/sam/fighters/(evokers?) anyways. It's the easiest job imo for new/returning players, far easier and quicker to gear than BRD
 Asura.Akaden
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Akaden 2019-01-24 13:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Good points. I'd take it a step further and just go for Corsair. Corsair is easy enough and the roll bonuses are very useful, even with low roll bonus gear. New/returning players can buy +5 roll bonus ring for pennies, and they will qualify for content using most of the same gear THF has access to. The learning curve is not challenging, and most people inviting COR for lower content already have a DD, so you're not expected to contribute as heavily in that area.

I do agree GEO is easy enough to pick up and play, but it does require a new/returning player to run around and collect all the GEO spells, which is kind of annoying. Corsairs can buy all of their items/abilities virtually in one place, and whatever gear progress they make for their thief oftentimes directly improves their Corsair, vs using Geo you have two different gear ranges. For Corsair, you can also just get by with the "bare minimum" rolls and still qualify for things like Omen, where you're hardly asked to do more than roll chaos/sam/fighters/(evokers?) anyways. It's the easiest job imo for new/returning players, far easier and quicker to gear than BRD

COR also has a LOT of room to grow. Once you get the roll gear going (it's relatively cheap, with regal neck being the most expensive, but also not entirely necessary), you can start branching out to melee dps gear (also quite cheap) and then shooting gear too. It rapidly became one of my favorite jobs after I saw the potential, and is probably my best geared job right now.
Edit: although I'll add that the cost sky-rockets at end-game level for the DPS gear. Relic +3 armor, the crafted dynamis neck and all 3 paths of Rostam take quite the toll on the old gil pocket.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 686
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-01-24 13:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Good points. I'd take it a step further and just go for Corsair. Corsair is easy enough and the roll bonuses are very useful, even with low roll bonus gear. New/returning players can buy +5 roll bonus ring for pennies, and they will qualify for content using most of the same gear THF has access to. The learning curve is not challenging, and most people inviting COR for lower content already have a DD, so you're not expected to contribute as heavily in that area.

I do agree GEO is easy enough to pick up and play, but it does require a new/returning player to run around and collect all the GEO spells, which is kind of annoying. Corsairs can buy all of their items/abilities virtually in one place, and whatever gear progress they make for their thief oftentimes directly improves their Corsair, vs using Geo you have two different gear ranges. For Corsair, you can also just get by with the "bare minimum" rolls and still qualify for things like Omen, where you're hardly asked to do more than roll chaos/sam/fighters/(evokers?) anyways. It's the easiest job imo for new/returning players, far easier and quicker to gear than BRD


Please dont encourage roll *** cors...
 Asura.Akaden
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Akaden 2019-01-24 13:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Chaostaru said: »
Please dont encourage roll *** cors...

As a starting point, you'll get much more use out of a roll-cor for far less gil than BRD. That's all he's asking for.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5206
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-24 13:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
You are on a different level than new/returning players. Asking a new player to do more than one singular task is often bad advice. At first, you would want your SAM to only focus on DDing, your BRD only buffing and your PLD to only focus on tanking. You can always grow on top of those basic job fundamentals, but expecting a new/returning player to multi-task beyond a simple role is likely going to overwhelm them. A roll COR is just fine for Entry Level Ambuscades in a group, but you can always put on some gear and contribute to dps. It's not that I'm encouraging being roll cor, just explaining that for his level of reintroduction, that's actually alright for what his actual goals are. Makes no sense to ask a new/returning player to play all of the niche roles for their job, when they are only playing that job to gear up another. Which brings up a bigger problem: the fact that you HAVE to play another job early on to ever see progress on your favorite jobs. Kind of stinks overall. I prefer to just play all jobs/roles a bit equally so I'm never left behind.
 Leviathan.Andret
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
Posts: 533
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-01-24 14:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Cor is a bit harder than Whm or Geo but it's a viable option as your main is Thf which share some of the gear with Cor.

What you need to move away from "Roll Only" Cor with only a +5 Ring is to spend some time gearing for Savage Blade.

Obtain the magian gun with +1000Tp bonus would take some time but the effort is trivial for lv99 and the results will be huge for Cor. As soon as you get that then your Melee Cor is close to completion.

As a newbie melee Cor, you aren't that great for Omen or even Ambu but useable and you're somewhat effective on easier stuff and some of the CP party (which you would really really need to do if you going to play as Cor).

Some of the gear for Cor can be used on Thf. The only major difference would be the Guns and a MAB set, which you will need for Leaden Salute as that one seems to be the bread and butter WS for Cor in almost everything requiring range attack.

As why I recommend Whm and Geo is because neither of these jobs have much demand for gear to be effective on almost everything. They also don't really need you to get high amount of JP. You can pretty much jump into the game with as little as 100Jp.
Offline
Posts: 551
By DaneBlood 2019-01-24 18:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Leviathan.Andret said: »
As why I recommend Whm and Geo is because neither of these jobs have much demand for gear to be effective on almost everything. They also don't really need you to get high amount of JP. You can pretty much jump into the game with as little as 100Jp.

i woud lhaveto slghitly disagree on geo. if you in a group that expect brd to have ultiatme weapons they would expect idris to for geo.

whm is probbably a lot better starter job as non of the ultimate weapons benefits the main purpose
and whm mythic you only need at lvl 75 to get done if you want it
 Asura.Byrne
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Byrne 2019-01-24 19:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply
 
DaneBlood said: »
Leviathan.Andret said: »
As why I recommend Whm and Geo is because neither of these jobs have much demand for gear to be effective on almost everything. They also don't really need you to get high amount of JP. You can pretty much jump into the game with as little as 100Jp.

i woud lhaveto slghitly disagree on geo. if you in a group that expect brd to have ultiatme weapons they would expect idris to for geo.

whm is probbably a lot better starter job as non of the ultimate weapons benefits the main purpose
and whm mythic you only need at lvl 75 to get done if you want it

Especially true given BRD is expected to have more than one REMA item.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Felonius
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
Posts: 70
By Phoenix.Felonius 2019-03-27 12:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So, thanks for all your insights. I have been continuing on working on getting gear for Bard. This is currently where I am at. I don't really know what is best for rings/earrings, as a lot of the ones in the Funkworkz gearsets are still a little out of reach for me, and I have only completed 2 areas of Dyanmis D midboss clears (Sandy and Windy), and I haven't had a chance to do Omen runs on Bard yet to get cards, but this in the works.

I was able to get two Kali's while working on other things as no one else wanted them, is it worth dual wielding those?

ItemSet 365850
I also have an Eminent Flute and the Ayanmo gear from Ambuscade.

I was able to participate in Ambuscade this month on Bard and I feel like it helped us clear it faster, but hard to tell, still it was a good learning experience.

Looks like my next focus should be on Brioso?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Isiolia
Posts: 214
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-03-27 15:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Phoenix.Felonius said: »
So, thanks for all your insights. I have been continuing on working on getting gear for Bard. This is currently where I am at. I don't really know what is best for rings/earrings, as a lot of the ones in the Funkworkz gearsets are still a little out of reach for me, and I have only completed 2 areas of Dyanmis D midboss clears (Sandy and Windy), and I haven't had a chance to do Omen runs on Bard yet to get cards, but this in the works.

Accessories would largely just be finding something else that does a similar thing. Ambuscade rings are decent for a number of things, some from Delve if you have LS folks taking advantage of the campaign, or plenty from low tier Escha NMs too.

If you don't have a good stock of them, the current campaign is also a great time to stock up on REM 1-5s, and possibly get some Skirmish items (lots of random single stones, but the wings/pouches of wings can drop too). So, you could opt to target the -song casting time items (Gendewitha Gages +1, Telchine Pigaches), or expand from that and get set up with Enhancing Duration on Telchine as well - great if you end up maintaining Haste or something. Could luck out on a Linos augment too.

I would at least push to get Brioso +1 feet as the +song duration makes them a staple. The rest is not bad at the +1 level, but it takes +2 and further for it to really stand out for MACC. In the meantime, the +1/+2 Ambuscade sets both have solid MACC for a lot of content, and 5/5 Troubadour will tend to ensure you can land stuff at the start of a fight if it's possible (Tenzen VD for instance).

109'ing your Relic body/legs/feet would also be a good idea for the JA augment. The original augmented relic +2 is fine as well, but if you're starting with the base piece it's simpler to just turn in the extra items to 109 from that. Past that Relic is not super worth worrying about unless you're making a WS set.

You'll also get some easy upgrades when Inyanga cycles back in, presumably when Ambuscade resets. Legs, body, ring, etc.

If you haven't pulled one together yet, there are a lot of options for a cure potency set, so that'd be another thing to do.
Log in to post.