Which Runes To Use? Gathering Info.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Which Runes To Use? Gathering Info.
Which Runes To Use? Gathering Info.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-18 17:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Finished Vermin. Let me know if anything doesn't seem right, cheers.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-11-18 18:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gobbo said: »
Magic Def. Boost is associated with Water and Magic Def. Down is Thunder, I'm certain of this: M.Def Down on Thunder Trials, Malaise is Thunder. There is a hierarchy of Priority Buffs/Debuffs arbitrarily adhere to that isn't entirely researched so I wouldn't be surprised that what Reain said actually happened.

I thought this to, was the entire point of a CP strategy I was making (back when MB's were the thing to do). Went out and got Shatter Soul and could easily land it on everything except Apex Fish / Crabs. Went out and tried it on the Ice / Water hybrid elemental and it wouldn't land. Geo-Maliase is Thunder so I was positive MDB Down off WS's had to be thunder.

Drove me nuts cause I really wanted to use on PLD to do SC's with people cause MDB down stacks like Haste and Defense down so another 10 on top of Malaise would be really nice. Could get Benthic Typhoon's to land either. I thought it might be fire but could land it on fire mobs easily.
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2018-11-19 22:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I thought this to, was the entire point of a CP strategy I was making (back when MB's were the thing to do). Went out and got Shatter Soul and could easily land it on everything except Apex Fish / Crabs. Went out and tried it on the Ice / Water hybrid elemental and it wouldn't land. Geo-Maliase is Thunder so I was positive MDB Down off WS's had to be thunder.

Drove me nuts cause I really wanted to use on PLD to do SC's with people cause MDB down stacks like Haste and Defense down so another 10 on top of Malaise would be really nice. Could get Benthic Typhoon's to land either. I thought it might be fire but could land it on fire mobs easily.

Well after CPing today I realized Bubble Curtain gives Shell so I think it's something with Shattersoul's added effect not landing. I'll test it out tomorrow and get the final verdict.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-11-19 23:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well after CPing today I realized Bubble Curtain gives Shell so I think it's something with Shattersoul's added effect not landing. I'll test it out tomorrow and get the final verdict.

Shell is just -50% MDT, would have nothing to do with enfeebling effects. You can go to an Apex Erucia or Bat, use Shatter Soul, wait a few minutes and see it wear off. Use it on any fish and no message. Like I said it drove me bonkers, had to use a DW sword strategy to make multi-steps with a friend instead.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-20 22:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Amorphs and Plantoids complete.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-26 01:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Finished Ecosystem 2 & the Undead.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-26 20:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ecosystem 3 done.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-26 22:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ecosystem 4 finished. Please let me know if you would use anything different in section 2.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-28 16:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Woot Woot! Section 2 complete .. so long as there's nothing immediately wrong, in which case let me know and I shall edit. Next up is filling out section 3 with fights which differ due to the boss having different moves to their counterparts.

Glad I managed to finish this so I can quickly look up anything I need til it becomes second nature. What I'd like to do .. if possible, is add quick navigation links at the top, but I have no idea if that's possible with bbcode as I never tried. Also I think the thread needs a better title. Let me know if you can think of anything.
By ocean 2018-11-28 16:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well done. Ty for sharing
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2018-11-28 16:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Symbology Runeology
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-28 17:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Symbology Runeology

Just Runeology? Not sure people will know what it is.

Also, I added Ruaumoko's rune choices from his BGwiki guide to section 3. We can put more in to that section at our leisure, but I'm not going to seek out fights to add for the time being.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-11-28 21:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Added a lot more to section 3 from the bgwiki guides, and linked them in case anyone needs more details.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2018-11-29 12:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Symbology Runeology

Just Runeology? Not sure people will know what it is.

Also, I added Ruaumoko's rune choices from his BGwiki guide to section 3. We can put more in to that section at our leisure, but I'm not going to seek out fights to add for the time being.

Sorry, I'm not good with quips and cleverly naming things. All said, this undertaking is really cool and could be of great help to those just starting out or still learning Rune Fencer. Keep up the good work bro!

Symbology was a Star Ocean joke. But I digress, carry on.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2018-11-29 17:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Here I was thinking it was a Boondock Saints reference
 Bahamut.Yubers
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Yubers 2018-12-18 10:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Terror is a... weirdo. There are some forms of terror that appear to be flat out unresistable via meva/ele resist(absolute terror, etc) And others that are easily resisted.(The Qiqirn terror move comes mind.. Faze I think?)

And there's a lot of uncertainty about the element for those that can be resisted. I've heard dark, I've heard earth along with claims that resist petrify works on it, and so on. I'd love to see things verified, but the testing is a pain in the ***, and... which terror do you test? Cause they aren't all the same.

I actually did testing on the Blue Magic variants of Absolute Terror and Blistering Roar on Elementals in Sky awhile back, but went back right now to take pictures. Both spells are listed as Dark but:

Earth Elementals resisted both while they landed just fine on Dark Elementals. This is one of those odd cases since Absorbs on Dark Elementals bounce right off. I realize these are not the same as the ones from the NMs themselves, but it's something to think about.

For most cases though I've gone with "If the spell's only effect is the debuff, it will use the spell's element (Lullaby vs. Sleep / Blank Gaze vs. Dispel)" and "If the debuff is an additional effect, the debuff will be the element it's normally associated with". There are some out of the ordinary cases like the above and with spells like Pinecone Bomb or Impact.

Like I had this idea if using shatter soul to make SCs on apex. Could never get the effect to stick on crabs or water eles. Can't get shield break to stick on wind mobs, that kind of stuff.

Magic Def. Boost is associated with Water and Magic Def. Down is Thunder, I'm certain of this: M.Def Down on Thunder Trials, Malaise is Thunder. There is a hierarchy of Priority Buffs/Debuffs arbitrarily adhere to that isn't entirely researched so I wouldn't be surprised that what Reain said actually happened.
This is an interesting case, and a strong mark in favor of Terror being earth based. Though I think it's going to need to be tested more broadly on actual monster used abilities to make sure that the blue spells aren't some kind of outlier.

As you noted, this doesn't mean the mob abilities are the same as the spell. Blue magic spells frequently differ from their monster used counterparts. Often significantly. For starters, I am very confident that monster used Absolute terror doesn't even have a meva check. Whereas the blue spell clearly does. I've done tests on for Absolute terror on Nauls with extreme levels of earth and dark resistance along with High meva+ gear, and bolstered idris geo spells and never managed a resist. vs a lvl 90 something mob. <,<

However, your findings may be directly applicable vs blue mage mobs in dynamis divergence. Since their blue spells might work the same as player cast ones, stacking earth resist could be a way to avoid a long terror on the NMs. Something that has happened to my namis group before and things kinda went to hell since the tank couldn't do anything to keep hate(happened right at the start of the pull too. Harsh.)

Terror from Seismic Impact seems to be earth based (maybe the move is earth elemental magic attack) Going from 14 second terror normally, to complete resist with 3x flabra runes and pflug
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2018-12-18 11:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you resist the slow effect from Seismic Impact then Terror will miss you completely. I found this when fighting Ironside. I'm not sure why though.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [82 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-03-10 15:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Second post will ask questions about particular status effects and monster families. It will be edited when questions have been answered. Can also serve as a place for special boss fights.

Mid Tier NMs

[Delve] Mastop: Can inflict AoE Addle + Stun, Slow Silence Sleep Dispel Break Plague Def Down & M.Def Down. Has access to Booming Bombilation and spells. Unda Telus Flabra Gelus Lux Sulpor are our options. Breakga is the worst = Flabrax3. Otherwise consider Unda Gelus Lux to cover more range: Virus Addle Silence Def Down Sleep & Dispel.

[Sinister Reign] Rosulatia: Flabrax3 to negate Stone spells, slow & petrify. If Dryad's Kiss cannot be dispelled, switch to Tenebrae for possible Charm. She can also do AoE Paralyze (ignis). -- Infected Illusion, Wildwood Indignation

------------------------

High Tier NMs

*These are from Ruaumoko's BGwiki guide found here: Quiescence: Rune Fencer Guide

**Unrealxhq's BGwiki guide rune choices. Found here: Rune Fencer End-Game Tank Guide

Check the guides if you require more info on the fights.

Shiraj's Geas Fete Runes & Barspells

As stated in the title, this information can be credited to Shiraj of Asura. Descriptions have been condensed some, although key information remains.

---Much thanks to everyone who contributed information to the collection!---

Thanks to Shiraj for contributing his Rune/Barspell choices. Hopefully it rounds off this collection a little more. As always, if you wish to add your own choices you can contact me here or via PM. Happy Hunting!
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [708 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-02-15 09:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd fully appreciate any full-time Rune Fencer adding the best Runes to use for specific Odyssey NMs. I have yet to do any of them, and I am sure others would appreciate any tips. Thank you!
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-02-15 09:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd fully appreciate any full-time Rune Fencer adding the best Runes to use for specific Odyssey NMs. I have yet to do any of them, and I am sure others would appreciate any tips. Thank you!

Not to be rude here, but they're copies of the WKR/Delve bosses. Their sets of TP moves haven't changed so nothing new to prepare for outside their elemental affinity.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-02-15 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

There are more NMs in Odyssey than just the Delve bosses.
[+]