Future Of Final Fantasy XI May Change.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Future of Final Fantasy XI may change.
Future of Final Fantasy XI may change.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-11-21 12:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Who are those famous/great video game players you speak of?
Some ex-FFXI players became somewhat famous in the fighting game community but not as players as far as I know. Emperor Cow is probably the only FFXI player that played fighting games at a good level that I can remember and even then that's limited.
Quote:
Oh, E.Cow played FFXI? Interesting. I should bring it up the next regional major we both happen to attend (too bad he is only obsessed with DOA, which I like but I like other stuff too).
I may be slightly wrong now that I remember it better. There was a Saudi community on my home server (Unicorn),he either played or was very good friend with Gravierknight who made us meet back in London. He’d attend SFIV weekly at that cyber café and I went a couple times, that was before he went full DOA with the release of 5. I wish I could attend more! He had a Dictator back then.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Maximilian is good at fighting games.
He's not at the level to compete among the top 20 people in the world in official e-sports competition, but saying he's just "ok" would be pretty untrue.

He's a good player, not world top level, but a good player.
Because he’s literally not good at all. He’s the equivalent of 2 to 3 months of paying attention on *insert any fighting game*.

It’s not a matter of top 20, it’s a matter of him not playing the same video games as actual good players. You probably understand what I mean if you have any knowledge or experience about fighting games.

He’s a personality that does, sometimes, a good job at bringing people to the genre and sparking interest but he’s not a « good » player.

I think the best player of fighting games I played from this community was Weltall. He probably did the best result at EVO from us who attended, too. If you dig on BG, the EVO threads can most likely answer that question.
By aisukage 2018-11-21 18:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
So was he actually any good when he played? Anyone know who he was? or was he a casual

He's 27, which means that he was 14 when ToAU came out. He also played sports and other genre's of game. So doubt he was in the HNM scene much.

I'm 27 and i was doing HNM content before abyssea came out which is when he stopped playing as someone asked on stream why he stopped and he told the stream he quit because of abyssea. Like a lot of others that did before giving it a try thinking the level cap increase would ruin the game. Anyways so it's possible he could of cause i was also playing other games and going to college and playing sports at that time also.
By tonic316 2018-11-21 20:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

yes SE would tell a famous streamer to play a pirated version of their game. My god you are brain dead as *** if you think that.

Cerberus.Logical said: »
Zerowone said: »
What is interesting is that FFXI seems to be common denominator for a lot of successful players in fighting game, FPS, and 3PS communities.

I have noticed this as well.

The fundamentals of classic FFXI were (i) teamwork-oriented, (ii) strategy-focused, and (iii) inundated with complex systems. As many others have mused, this effectively filtered out players who did not thrive in an environment heavy on the above three factors.

It is thus not surprising to me that such players went on to become titans and heavyhitters of other online games which have similar qualities. I have noted time and time again that, on the whole, FFXI players (even today) are, more often than not, highly analytical, intelligent, resourceful, communicative, competitive, and sometimes elitist. But again, I think that classic FFXI was the spawning pool of an elite sliver of the gaming population.

I personally did pretty well in wow after i left ffxi for it in 2005ish. Was in a us50 guild through all of TBC and Wrath.
[+]
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2018-11-21 20:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
If you think he's descent because he's shown otherwise on different occasions in different games then cool.

I like Max's content because it's informative and generally covers an area of gaming that I don't pay much attention to anymore. I can't speak anywhere near how good he is at fighting games, but from watching some of his streams/clips of other games, I've always assumed he has a bit of an act going on, intentionally making minor mistakes, breaking combos and cussing or groaning, etc. It's an assumption for sure, but it's something I've noticed with many of the personalities I watch. If they played perfectly and were too good, I'd likely not find it that entertaining (long term) because I couldn't relate to being on that level.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-11-21 22:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
If you think he's descent because he's shown otherwise on different occasions in different games then cool.

I like Max's content because it's informative and generally covers an area of gaming that I don't pay much attention to anymore. I can't speak anywhere near how good he is at fighting games, but from watching some of his streams/clips of other games, I've always assumed he has a bit of an act going on, intentionally making minor mistakes, breaking combos and cussing or groaning, etc. It's an assumption for sure, but it's something I've noticed with many of the personalities I watch. If they played perfectly and were too good, I'd likely not find it that entertaining (long term) because I couldn't relate to being on that level.

I was getting a bit of that vibe just watching his little return to FFXI breakdown. But I'm honestly not sure if it was or not.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-11-22 10:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »

It's not about execution, really.

He's okay when it comes to execution but his actual knowledge of fighting games is somewhat shallow. This is why he's mostly (only?) liked by people who are beginners, once you reach the next step you understand that he's not gonna teach you anything and that his point of view and overall content is directed toward people who are either beginner or foreign to the genre.

Playing fighting games isn't just about combos and what not. Yes, he has an act, but that's also as far as he can go.