Link | Quote | Reply

Same ***, different bag. Okay
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-09 13:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That video is during CP bonus campaign. Purpose of the Apex thread part is that you'd do the same thing (you know, for monsters than have 5x the HP) and get the same CP during non campaigns. This isn't new, and the video you posted isn't even the first cleave. I believe Byrth was cleaving on PLD back when I was on Lakshmi, many years ago.

OP wasn't reinventing the wheel, just showing it done on the Apex variety.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2018-10-09 13:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, in the second sentence I think the OP is not claiming to have invented this. Just kind of sharing it because people are hush hush about these types of things typically. But we're on Quetz, we don't have to fight for camps so much.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-09 13:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

People are "hush hush" because it does not present any advantage to share with other people your "strategies" if it means direct competition. Why would you tell other people what the best CP/hr camp is when it would interrupt your farming sessions? Why would you tell people your best strategies for making money when others could monopolize it and ruin your cow? Its not the same as sharing ambuscade strategies or whatnot, since everyone will always explore that content anyways.

For a good 3 months, I was abusing the hell out of the price of Sors shield. Took it from 600k to well over a mil, and I had 8 shields up at one time. Eventually, people caught on and the price tanked horribly. The drop is around 75% from my experience, but apparently, people were too lazy to do a 2min fight for a 1mil gil drop. I didn't announce "GUYS, SELL YOUR SORS SHIELDS, ITS A A GOLDMINE", I just took advantage of it for the time. That's about the best you can do until people figure out what you're up to. Point is, nobody is going to share any advantageous strategy with anybody else, and that's to be expected. Hush-hush is literally the name of the game for as long as you can maintain it. if someone is nice enough to share something really helpful, kudos to that guy. It's not the norm
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2018-10-09 13:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello there post from two years ago.

Shiva.Cziella said: »

300JP+/hr with exceptional gear pld (PLD, 2box SCH, GEO, COR + leechx2)

PLD did everything, I just casted cor roll/geo bubbles/regen V.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/48301/final-fantasy-xi-11-pld-cleaving-dagger-27-31-mob/#reply
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
Server: Asura
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-09 14:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

See zero point to this thread, as others have stated this was done years ago, great job on doing what we/others did long ago.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-10-09 15:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
People are "hush hush" because it does not present any advantage to share with other people your "strategies" if it means direct competition. Why would you tell other people what the best CP/hr camp is when it would interrupt your farming sessions? Why would you tell people your best strategies for making money when others could monopolize it and ruin your cow? Its not the same as sharing ambuscade strategies or whatnot, since everyone will always explore that content anyways.

An interesting perspective.

Do we compete w/ each other for a larger piece of the pie?

Or do we Cooperate to make the Pie Larger?

Some content Encourages cooperation. Some Content Discourages it.

Am I sharing a camp and increasing competition for the location? or am I sharing a technique that will benefit the player base?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-09 15:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's fine as a reminder, since I've never seen the original thread until now. OP was just sharing something he didn't know was possible, which is an interesting discussion. gear got better since then, which only makes this method easier.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2018-10-09 15:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elazar said: »
See zero point to this thread, as others have stated this was done years ago, great job on doing what we/others did long ago.

Except that almost no one saw the original thread.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-09 15:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite a large number of you think something is impossible, until someone else tells you about it.

And the rest of you still think it's impossible even after seeing it done.

The rest of (us) are out there just doing it, it's pointless to bother telling you about it.

The Acuex is something "NEW" I've ever seen anyone do that before. Is it optimal, nope. Is it something you can do if you need BST JP, yup. It's cool of him to share that it's a thing, it's just another thing you can stack on to speed it up.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-09 15:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin said: »

shouldn’t need to see a thread, to know it can be done, even more upsetting if a pld doesn’t know about it, idk maybe I just played this game far to long and expect more from players, knowing there jobs...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-09 15:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh Oh, here comes the electronic penis crew
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-09 15:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean like, ochain cleaving has been a thing since ochain existed (before it existed too just not really worthwhile)

Gear gets better, targets get stronger. Does there need to be a thread about it? You should simply know this.

(again, taking nothing away from THIS thread)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2018-10-09 16:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

shouldn’t need to see a thread, to know it can be done, even more upsetting if a pld doesn’t know about it, idk maybe I just played this game far to long and expect more from players, knowing there jobs...

If you don't like the thread, don't read it. Nothing wrong with having a discussion, if you don't like the discussion, don't get involved in it. It's really that simple.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-10-09 17:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
And my expectation was that it would prompt questions about setup, procedure, or gearsets and there could be discussion of such.
Don't worry.

Regarding your casting sets, I'm not sure how accurate equipviewer is but I didn't see you use much SIRD, were you fully trusting blocking to take care of it when casting any and all spells?

Another question regarding Phalanx, is there a minimum you'd advise? Of course it's better to have more/everything capped, but in order to be able to start doing this and be viable, what is the minimum +Phalanx needed in gear? I'm saying this because some augments have given me nightmares in the past when it comes to Phalanx, so if I could shoot for the minimum to begin with.
While I did have SIRD toggled on for cures, that was only for cures. And for the duration of Palisade I should have 100% blockrate anyway. I think I cast like 3~4 spells during that pull? Diaga, a cure 4, and phalanx. Still had Aquaveil up at the end.

As for Phalanx augs. I don't really have a recommended value. after all I've never tried this with less phalanx+ than I have to see if there'd be problems. But since I only have 1 DM phalanx+5 aug I can say you don't need DM augs for this. That -2 dmg is not making or breaking this.

I would say that as long as blocked hits are dealing 0 dmg, you're probably fine. Provided you keep the pulls short. But some experimentation may be required.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2018-10-09 18:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Their jobs*
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-10-09 19:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
And my expectation was that it would prompt questions about setup, procedure, or gearsets and there could be discussion of such.
Don't worry.

Regarding your casting sets, I'm not sure how accurate equipviewer is but I didn't see you use much SIRD, were you fully trusting blocking to take care of it when casting any and all spells?

Another question regarding Phalanx, is there a minimum you'd advise? Of course it's better to have more/everything capped, but in order to be able to start doing this and be viable, what is the minimum +Phalanx needed in gear? I'm saying this because some augments have given me nightmares in the past when it comes to Phalanx, so if I could shoot for the minimum to begin with.
While I did have SIRD toggled on for cures, that was only for cures. And for the duration of Palisade I should have 100% blockrate anyway. I think I cast like 3~4 spells during that pull? Diaga, a cure 4, and phalanx. Still had Aquaveil up at the end.

As for Phalanx augs. I don't really have a recommended value. after all I've never tried this with less phalanx+ than I have to see if there'd be problems. But since I only have 1 DM phalanx+5 aug I can say you don't need DM augs for this. That -2 dmg is not making or breaking this.

I would say that as long as blocked hits are dealing 0 dmg, you're probably fine. Provided you keep the pulls short. But some experimentation may be required.
Thanks, I will most likely have to experiment yeah, but this gives me a very good idea already.

I actually didn't even notice your Aquaveil, I understand better now.
By Afania 2018-10-09 19:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't like the thread, don't read it. Nothing wrong with having a discussion, if you don't like the discussion, don't get involved in it. It's really that simple.

I clicked on the title to read about apex cleaving then I see 12345678 "it's already been done and you suck" comment.....

Its fine to say it's old news but saying not knowing about it = bad pld not knowing their job is another story. People expect everyone to know everything in ffxi like studying for a PHD these days, geez.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jiing
Server: Ragnarok
user: F0urty2
By Ragnarok.Jiing 2018-10-10 00:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

I clicked on the title to read about apex cleaving then I see 12345678 "it's already been done and you suck" comment.....

Its fine to say it's old news but saying not knowing about it = bad pld not knowing their job is another story. People expect everyone to know everything in ffxi like studying for a PHD these days, geez.
i just started PLD,and yeah,i did'nt really know this was a thing,i had checked it out specificly because i have never played a tank before and wanted to start investing the time to master and learn.
thanks for the contributors.
 Odin.Horu
Server: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2018-10-10 07:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I am curious how pld's expect people who newly switch to pld let alone new pld's to know this if there's very few threads about it.

Even if you spent 12 years perfecting pld, doesn't mean a guy whose 1/2 a year, even 2-3 years to know this.

I'v done most cleave partys from korro tunnels full zone smn burns before the nerf, abyssea mandy war cleave, and adoulin bat/crab/zone cleave, but never knew about pld apex cleave till this thread, you either read about it or have been invited to it, otherwise people rarely talk about it (Outside of big endgame LSes) let alone even mention the gear needed.

This thread is very much needed imo
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-10 07:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Horu said: »
I am curious how pld's expect people who newly switch to pld let alone new pld's to know this if there's very few threads about it.

Even if you spent 12 years perfecting pld, doesn't mean a guy whose 1/2 a year, even 2-3 years to know this.

Ochain is 100%(*) blockrate
Shield Mastery exists
All paladins should know there is cleave potential, it really is that simple.
 Odin.Horu
Server: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2018-10-10 09:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

so when everyone is explaining to a new player to: get ochain, get aegis,burtang, get full DT sets, get a phalanx set, get several SWORD WS sets, get a cure set, get a fast cast set, then you'll be a awesome tank, and a whole bunch of other sets for each situation.

Then they said, oh, remember the MB set for the Apex mob cleaving which we're not gonna talk about, as a new player you knew when we said about the TANKING set that the true purpose was for cleaving that we didn't talk about in the first place. Oh, don't forget the MB set for that cleaving party that we didn't talk about, and the fact you use daggers for that cleaving party we didn't talk about.

You should have known from the start about cleaving, it was self explainatory when you started a month ago and we said get a DT,ochain,etc set
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-10-10 09:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
People expect everyone to know everything in ffxi like studying for a PHD these days, geez.

one problem is that the search function on ffxiah has been broken for quite a while...

but rather than displaying an error message like "our search function is broken, please try google" it displays "NO RESULTS FOUND" for anything you are searching for. So I think that people do search for things, but if they don't know it's broken they start new threads.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2018-10-10 09:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

thought this was a "Vape" thread
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-10 09:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

There has always been a serious disconnect between players who swear they "know it all" and just your everyday casual player. You're expected to read everything on the wiki, including all of the BG links and topics, to know every little trick and method in this game. Otherwise, you're a silly gimp. This is the legitimate mindset of some of these players (very easy to tell which ones). Never taking much of what they say seriously is usually the best response to those players.
By Pantafernando 2018-10-10 10:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

While cleaving is an old concept, the new gear/foes makes the old tactic more efficient/viable. Thats a merit in re opening a subject from time to time and share results.