First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 67 68 69
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-04-25 15:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
I swear drama can spontaneously combust at any moment on these forums. Its like watching a pack of hungry wolves waiting for one of their own to trip so they can ravage away at them.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-25 15:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Pulled logs from my mains, 1690 total chests opened.

46 loud thud
274 thud
1370 noise

So, we can roughly assume:

1370/1690 * 50k = 40,533g
274/1690 * 300k = 48,639g
46/1690 * 20m = 544,379g

Thus, a chest is worth ~633,551g using YOUR values.

Now, let's look at your strategy.

Pt1: Open after 3 thuds.

3 Thuds, 2 noises (5 chests) : 1M value + 633,551 from final chest.

80% chance of success * 633,551g = +506,841g
20% chance of fail * -1,633,551g = -326,710g

In this case, you stand to make 180,131g on average by opening a 6th chest. Guess your strategy made the wrong choice.

Pt2: Open after 7 chests.

6 noises, 1 thud (7 chests) : 600k value + 633,551 from final chest.

2/3 chance of success * 633,551 = 422,367g
1/3 chance of failure * -1,233,551 = -411,184g

In this case, you stand to make 11,183g on average by opening an 8th chest. Guess your strategy was wrong again. In the event of 7 noises, it is 94,517g.

Pt3: Open after 1 loud thud.

This is correct, but everyone already knows it. Even if it's the first chest:

8/9 chance of success * 633,551 = +563,156g
1/9 chance of fail * 20,633,551 = -2,292,617g

Lose 1,729,461g on average by opening that second chest.

I AM NOT CLAIMING THESE NUMBERS ARE ACCURATE. I AM USING SORALIN'S VALUES PER CHEST TO ILLUSTRATE THAT HIS STRATEGY DOESN'T EVEN MATCH HIS OWN NUMBERS.

The truth is that you'd need tens of thousands of runs correctly logged to actually know with any certainty. Obviously a chest type doesn't average to 50k, 300k, 20m on the nose. I don't think they're even close. Further, we have exceedingly little information about the actual distribution within the final chest. But, fact is, we don't have the data and soralin's conclusions are drawn off emotion and feeling, not numbers.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-04-25 15:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
soralin's conclusions are drawn off emotion and feeling, not numbers.
But...but, the rainbows and unicorns demand their fair share representation against the facts too!
By soralin 2019-04-25 15:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on your understanding of the algorithm, your assertion would be correct.

I however do not believe the algorithm to work the way you assume it does and have modified my strategy to fit my understanding of the chests algorithm.

Perhaps 2 pages ago you could've started off with "Well based on my understanding of how I think the chests work, I think your strategy sounds sub-optimal for x y z reasons and these numbers" we could've had a great discussion and batted ideas back and forth like two rational adults.

And you dont need thousands of runs. The loot pool is small, its a *very* safe assumption to assume the value of most money drops off the Mars Orb to be worth 200mil, and its pretty safe to assume a 'best fit' strategy to the constraints that the loot pool is evenly distributed.

It might not be, but even if it wasnt, a weighted distribution tables best fit strategy would not be terribly different from an even table distribution strategy.

So you can estimate a 'close enough' plan.

Intelligent people will first resort to "Hmm, you have contradicted my perception, lets talk about this"

Children resort to "That doesn't align with my thoughts, so you MUST be an idiot and couldn't POSSIBLY know something I don't!"
 Asura.Rylixx
user: Rylixx
By Asura.Rylixx 2019-04-25 15:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Buy the Ashera with real gil. This is the only guaranteed method for getting what you want from it. You can make 200M in a month or two if you sell everything and farm every single day, cap out Ambu points, grind Gain-EXP/Delve/Swart farm, and sell off some high priced items. This is just reality. Mercing is so much more beneficial nowadays because you take the stress, time, and gamble factor out of it and just get your reward once and be done with it. If you want to test your luck at it, you have to go in emotionless and with extremely low expectations.

Absolutely 100% I will just buy it next time I see a shout, Lesson learned. I just thought I'd at least get something nice from over 100 orbs in total over the past few months.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-25 15:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You're just playing word games at this point. You still have yet to provide anything of substance, and it's quite obvious to me (and likely others) that you don't have anything such to present.

You're the one who insisted there's no pattern, so how exactly does your algorithm differ from straight probability calculation?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-25 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The most effective system/method/strategy is sell your orbs and buy the thing you want with the profit. It works 100% of the time. (buy the thing you want and sell orbs to payback the debt*)

Buying hundreds of orbs and selling the drops you likely come out ahead, but it's still a gamble!
[+]
By soralin 2019-04-25 15:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
You're just playing word games at this point. You still have yet to provide anything of substance, and it's quite obvious to me (and likely others) that you don't have anything such to present.

I feel no real reason to help out someone being an *** about all of this. This could've been a cordial and productive convo. You were the one who made the choice to make it anything but.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-25 15:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You keep dropping that you're too good to help me (I still don't remember asking for or wanting your help), but the truth is that whatever elevated understanding you claim to have can't be taken seriously if you just say things along the lines of 'I know, but I won't tell you!'. If you actually know something I/the forums don't, why not say it and rub it in? Then you wouldn't need to keep posturing, and we could all learn something.
By soralin 2019-04-25 15:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah.
 Shiva.Carrelo
Server: Shiva
user: Carrelo
By Shiva.Carrelo 2019-04-25 19:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-25 19:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rylixx said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Buy the Ashera with real gil. This is the only guaranteed method for getting what you want from it. You can make 200M in a month or two if you sell everything and farm every single day, cap out Ambu points, grind Gain-EXP/Delve/Swart farm, and sell off some high priced items. This is just reality. Mercing is so much more beneficial nowadays because you take the stress, time, and gamble factor out of it and just get your reward once and be done with it. If you want to test your luck at it, you have to go in emotionless and with extremely low expectations.

Absolutely 100% I will just buy it next time I see a shout, Lesson learned. I just thought I'd at least get something nice from over 100 orbs in total over the past few months.

Random is random, and unless you enjoy the feeling of winning the lottery (aka never happens), just cut your losses, set a base price, and sell the rest of your orbs for life. it practically pays for itself that way, you just put the money out up front
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2019-04-25 19:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Carrelo said: »

Solid.
By soralin 2019-05-09 21:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on Comeatmebro's approach to the algorithm, I whipped up a very rudimentary C# program that will brute force trials with best fit selection strategy.

Its expected you fill out the constants with values matching your own data and etc, then it will run the trials optimizing for maximum profitability.

Then finish off by printing out the net average gil made per run.

As you can see, based on my estimated values of Heavy Thuds and etc, the profitability margin is actually incredibly slim.

Link to the program's source:
https://github.com/SteffenBlake/AMANCalculator
[+]
By fonewear 2019-05-09 21:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
I swear drama can spontaneously combust at any moment on these forums. Its like watching a pack of hungry wolves waiting for one of their own to trip so they can ravage away at them.

I don't even know what the drama is but I assume it's some random number.

FFXIAH is the king of random number arguments.
By fonewear 2019-05-09 21:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 10 million AMAN chest and my conclusion is *punches numbers on calculator* it's a waste of time !
[+]
By soralin 2019-05-09 21:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to see your contributions to threads are as vapid as ever. If you have nothing to contribute, go somewhere else.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-05-09 21:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
Nice to see your contributions to threads are as vapid as ever. If you have nothing to contribute, go somewhere else.

Yea please post more random numbers to prove how good at opening AMAN chests you are.
By soralin 2019-05-09 21:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have an issue with the best fit algorithm, feel free to open an issue on the github, since it literally has a feature for that.

If you're statements summarize to "I don't understand therefor it must be wrong" then you're not contributing and can leave.
By fonewear 2019-05-09 21:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting random numbers doesn't prove anything. It just means you like to post numbers to argue.
By soralin 2019-05-09 21:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So the second option.

If anyone who actually wants to contribute to the convo is interested in participating, I'll field questions about the program or whatever.

But I feel like I commented it well enough to lay out how it works.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-05-09 22:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on Comeatmebro's approach to the algorithm, I whipped up a very rudimentary C# program that will brute force trials with best fit selection strategy.

Its expected you fill out the constants with values matching your own data and etc, then it will run the trials optimizing for maximum profitability.

Then finish off by printing out the net average gil made per run.

As you can see, based on my estimated values of Heavy Thuds and etc, the profitability margin is actually incredibly slim.

Link to the program's source:
https://github.com/SteffenBlake/AMANCalculator

Where did you get the distributions from?

Also, I might fix this to learn an optimal policy using Monte Carlo Tree Search or something.
By clearlyamule 2019-05-09 22:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man is he back at it? Is his subscriber count down?
By soralin 2019-05-09 22:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

Also, I might fix this to learn an optimal policy using Monte Carlo Tree Search or something.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/52655/the-aman-trove-bc/47/#3428053

MCTS is only super useful on non-deterministic strategies.

Since AMAN Trove is assumed to be deterministic, as your 'opponent' is a predetermined chance roll, then MCTS isn't very helpful.

Specifically, once you cancel out your pieces of the MCTS algorithm that work out to contributing 0, you'll find the whole MCTS algorithm is removed and all the remains is just the statistical formula you started with :)

MCTS works for a game like, say, tic-tac-toe, where your 'opponent' has the capability to 'choose' and you wish to min/max your choice based on the assumption your opponent also plays the the best of their ability.

Which is why a naive MCTS approach loses to 'random' players that make unpredictable moves.

But it still could prove to be a fun thought experiment to allow you to see in practice how deterministic strategies cause the MCTS algorithm to simplify out, which does help in fully grok'ing how MCTS functions holistically.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-05-09 22:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/52655/the-aman-trove-bc/47/#3428053

MCTS is only super useful on non-deterministic strategies.

Since AMAN Trove is assumed to be deterministic, as your 'opponent' is a predetermined chance roll, then MCTS isn't very helpful.

Specifically, once you cancel out your pieces of the MCTS algorithm that work out to contributing 0, you'll find the whole MCTS algorithm is removed and all the remains is just the statistical formula you started with :)

MCTS works for a game like, say, tic-tac-toe, where your 'opponent' has the capability to 'choose' and you wish to min/max your choice based on the assumption your opponent also plays the the best of their ability.

Which is why a naive MCTS approach loses to 'random' players that make unpredictable moves.

But it still could prove to be a fun thought experiment to allow you to see in practice how deterministic strategies cause the MCTS algorithm to simplify out, which does help in fully grok'ing how MCTS functions holistically.

Do we know that the placement is deterministic w/r/t a prior distribution? idk if the chest contents are decided as soon as the instance loads or reactively as you open chests. I assumed that the chest contents responded to chests opened in the same run, e.g. the system prevents you from getting all loud thuds. We know that each instance has a mimic but beyond that I have no idea. I guess the pre-loading placement theory is assumed so operating with expected values is better
By soralin 2019-05-09 22:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, thats what I prefaced in the README file on the github :)
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-05-09 22:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, thats what I prefaced in the README file on the github :)

readmes are for squares
[+]
By Rips 2019-05-10 01:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm new to the forums and I'm going to bring in some positive ideas for AMAN Trove:

Make it so that there is a rare chance that some Dyna-D stuff drops. Like if you're on THF, some a THF Shard can drop.
 Asura.Magitaru
user: Magitek
By Asura.Magitaru 2019-05-10 01:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll get right on that, great idea.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-05-10 02:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
I'm new to the forums and I'm going to bring in some positive ideas for AMAN Trove:

Make it so that there is a rare chance that some Dyna-D stuff drops. Like if you're on THF, some a THF Shard can drop.
You mean Volte.

There is very little reason to want Void/Shard from Trove, it's money stuff.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 67 68 69