2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Returning Player - job selection
Returning Player - job selection
By Bibikiri 2018-08-05 06:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone,
I'm recently returned to the game,and made a new fresh character, i'm trying to figure out which class should i stick with.
i'm interested in Ninja, blue mage, and ranger.

can you guys help me understand what of those class have to offer? which role they can fulfill? they are viable end game? they are expensive to gear?

thanks in advance to everyone for the replies!
[+]
 Asura.Smoky
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2018-08-05 08:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

From the jobs you listed, BLU is most useful, than RNG, than NIN. Good luck!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2018-08-05 11:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In endgame BLU is used in dyna wave 3 cleaving, also could be useful to deal some annoying ambu/Master Trial as DD.
[+]
By Zeota 2018-08-05 15:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU will definitely take you the farthest for reasons listed above.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-08-05 17:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU has a relatively steep barrier to entry compared to most other jobs. Spell learning can be quite the undertaking and 1200 job points are absolutely necessary if you want to actually succeed on the job in the ways people expect it to. Even in solo situations, the difference between having those additional set points for spells and the bonus job trait tiers is night and day.

That being said, BLU is an exceptionally versatile job that will serve you well in many situations. IF you're willing to dedicate the time to overcome the initial hump.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-08-05 18:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
BLU has a relatively steep barrier to entry compared to most other jobs. Spell learning can be quite the undertaking and 1200 job points are absolutely necessary if you want to actually succeed on the job in the ways people expect it to. Even in solo situations, the difference between having those additional set points for spells and the bonus job trait tiers is night and day.

That being said, BLU is an exceptionally versatile job that will serve you well in many situations. IF you're willing to dedicate the time to overcome the initial hump.

This is the reason I often suggest to people either returning or creating a new character from scratch (ie not a 3rd char for a person who can gear quickly) that they build a support job. A fresh WHM, GEO or rolls only COR (only the start to that job, but for some groups, enough) can be built to effective levels quite easily compared to a heavy DD (WAR/DRK/SAM) or a specialized role job (like RNG, PUP, or BLM), or even a high-entry level support job (like BRD).

The key is to realize that the role you serve in group play might be very different than your "true love" job, and to use your ability to fill a role to gear up your true love to acceptable/effective levels. Maybe you really hate WHM, but find out you're decent at it and can do high-end group play as WHM to kill mobs to earn gear for your NIN. That might be where you start with your group, filling in the roles they need more than your favorite role because that's the only spot you can get. After a while, and getting those key drops for XXX job, you can start bringing your "true love" to events.

Its this disconnect that hurts a lot of returning players. Most capable groups have all job roles covered already, so you've got to be willing to do the grunt work at first before you get the coveted "2 DD slots" for a high end endgame event, or however your group runs. Put in time doing what a group needs before you try and do what you want. Think of it as working at a job you might not like, but that job lets you have the social and recreational opportunities you would never otherwise have.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-08-05 18:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Unlock RoV missions as you level. The more the better for exp bonus.

Level Mnk to 18

Unlock Subjob

Level Whm/Mnk to 50

Level Mnk/Whm to 50

Unlock level cap with Mnk/Whm and level until lv99. Use it as the solo job that you can use to pretty much beat most of the game missions.

Level Rdm to 50

Level as Whm/Rdm or Whm/Mnk until lv99. Gear your Whm. Merit Cure Casting time and gear for max cure casting time.

Try to earn equipments in Ambu and Omen or any other stuff that need Whm for the job you want as you get merits on Whm and as you unlock the rest of the RoV bonuses.
[+]
By Bibikiri 2018-08-06 10:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i want to say: thank you very much for all the information you guys gave me, your experience and help its very appreciated, thanks a lot again to everyone!
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-08-06 11:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Unlock RoV missions as you level. The more the better for exp bonus.

Level Mnk to 18

Unlock Subjob

Level Whm/Mnk to 50

Level Mnk/Whm to 50

Unlock level cap with Mnk/Whm and level until lv99. Use it as the solo job that you can use to pretty much beat most of the game missions.

Level Rdm to 50

Level as Whm/Rdm or Whm/Mnk until lv99. Gear your Whm. Merit Cure Casting time and gear for max cure casting time.

Try to earn equipments in Ambu and Omen or any other stuff that need Whm for the job you want as you get merits on Whm and as you unlock the rest of the RoV bonuses.
Incorrect monk 4 life!!!!!
 Asura.Aerox
Server: Asura
By Asura.Aerox 2018-08-06 11:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Put in time doing what a group needs before you try and do what you want. Think of it as working at a job you might not like, but that job lets you have the social and recreational opportunities you would never otherwise have.

This ^

I never wanted to play smn, and definitely not put the gil into HQ gear and my spot in the ls ambuscade static to make a nirvana (over say a 119 empy). But you do what you have to do to help your ls be successful/get into shouts to gear jobs you do want to play. And once you start getting omen runs and escha clears you'll find gearing new jobs easy.

Whm is for sure the easier to get into groups with, cor can be very fun to play as it has 3 aspects; melee, ranged, support. If you do manage to gear blu and get the job points though you can solo a lot of t1/2 stuff with trusts :)
[+]