Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Best tanking / DD body
Best tanking / DD body
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2009-11-21 08:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh said:
Just to qualify my statement real fast though. I am talking about Endgame Tanking, If you've never been the only Tank at a Tiamat, Nidhogg or Khimaira from 100 to 0% Then you haven't really endgame tanked. You've just been leaning on crutches.

Of course, I made a few heavy assumptions, for Instance, at real HNM,s the tank(s) will usually get two bards, a Healer (SCH or WHM) a Red Mage as their party. Now if you will indulge me for but a moment.

Recasts stop at 50%.
March+March 20% Haste15% [35%] (Magic cap 40%)
At this moment there need only be 15% haste (less if you have fast cast equipment) to reach recast down.
Velocious belt is a non Blinking switch, so 6% currently at 41%
Homam Cosciales are 3% and Generally Full timed yes? 44%
Homam Manopolas are Full timed, So 47%. That is damn close to the cap already in stuff you wind up having on anyway. With the Fastcasts it probably is the cap.

As for Enmity and what not, Hate created with a non blinking Cure IV set, refresh and Ballad (Bonus points of Gjallarhorn) should have no problem keeping hate at the residual cap, so that is a redundant argument. The Residual cap can generally be reached on 2 minutes or less with No Enmity increasing gear. After that, you only need worry about BLM or if it's an extremely long fight Healers reaching the Residual cap, and spiking through your hate with Volatile. However, hate is instantly restored back to you after 1 attack round from the Monster, at worst.

Respectfully, if you are putting haste on as PLD in HNM for anything but the recasts, You're a moron and need to learn the concept of Monster TP, though there certainly are a few exceptions (Cerberus comes to mind, as PLD's Atonment weapon skill absolutely rapes that, but still, even then it's generally not worth while).

Bahamut's Mask
Ares's Cuirass
Homam Cosciales
Homam Manopolas
Gallant Leggings+1

Every HNM (Except Absolute Virtue and Panda Warden) in the game I have witnessed conquered without swapping any of those items out to create a blink. At the same time, I have witnessed on many occasions Blinky Elitist Paladins blinking a few too many times and popping dead, and hell a few people in my LS owe Ridills to that eventuality.

It's important to note, I don't think you guys are wrong, not by a long shot, I just think you're living in a fairy fantasy world made of gum drops and sugar plums to think that every healer (Hell, even 1/4 of healers) are competent enough have the sense about to use everything in their power to their advantage. You don't get any bonus points for stupid, pointless risks, but being careful will at least give you the peace of mind to know you did everything in your power, and gave every oppritunity, should you still falter.

Most of this stuff isnt even half correct. You'd be a moron to not put haste on a pld passed recast marks. TP isnt a concern on any mobs half the time anyhow, and thats with experience solo tanking HNMs with 6-8 ppl including Tiamat.

Theres no reason to be idling in baha mask b/c it does nothing til you use a JA or flash. Theres no reason to be idling in AF+1 buts because you wont block with shadows and AoEs wont be blocked with them. Yes, you dont need to blink to be a good pld, but with no reason not to blink, why shouldnt you?? Obviously a good pld will know when to blink and when not to, but with so many things you can do in this game, theres still no reason not to blink.....

Im not sure what you are referring to residual cap, im hoping you dont mean CE cap, b/c if you think you can cap that in 2minutes you know less about pld than I thought. Its takes 4-5mins to cap CE, more if you are solo tanking with lower numbers probably. 30 seconds to cap VE. Idk what you think takes 2mins to cap but CE takes longer than that, and VE takes less than that on PLD. If you want you can do the research on that, phlow already did the math to show it.

Comparing plds that dont blink and live, vs plds that blink and dont is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. You dont know what the situation was or circumstances. Ive seen blinking plds that dont die and non blink plds that die all the time, that doesnt make me draw a conclusion that blinking is ftw or vice versa. That only makes me wonder what the pld did wrong or could of done better, and what the support did or could of done better. A pld is only as great as his support, period.

I will agree though that thinking that your healer will be good or remotely as good as you would think is a bad assumption. However, once you and your mages get use to eachothers style, there shouldnt be any reason afterward that blinking is an issue. Tank party needs to work as a team.

@OP, if you are going to get Ares, Id say make sure to maximize your macros to make the best use of it so that its refresh stays on longer to gain the full benefit from it. Thats probably one of the pieces I wouldnt makke out as much(outside of ohshi moments) since the reason you have it on is for its refresh, so keeping it on as long as possible is what you are aiming to do.When you dont need it on, hauby+1/Avalon is fine.
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-21 08:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin's should not be judged by gear, But ability.

Ive seen alot of well geared Paladin's who suck at tanking.

They just got lucky with gear is all.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-21 10:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
At the same time, I have witnessed on many occasions Blinky Elitist Paladins blinking a few too many times and popping dead, and hell a few people in my LS owe Ridills to that eventuality.

I like this line a lot.

If you wipe to Fafnir ... well, I dunno what to say. He really is one of the easiest HNM mobs to tank and one of the most practical to Atonement spam on (Hurricane Wing's damage is overrated - I've never been in danger because of it tanking Faf/Nid, mages should take 0 from it with Stoneskin (sometimes just breaking Stoneskin on Nid) and normal DDs... well, why are you bringing lots of melee to Faf/Nid if healing Hurricane Wing damage is a problem?).
Quote:
Paladin's should not be judged by gear, But ability.

This is also -very- true. I know many Paladins with amazing gear who are very mediocre tanks, and the exact opposite! It's more to do with application of gear rather than what you have, speaking purely in terms of equipment.
 Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes 2009-11-21 11:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So many stupid opinions here, do not listen to Zicdeh, in fact do the opposite. Always gear towards dd, mob tp is trivial in all non lowman situations.

750 damage is 750 damage and is the best hate tool plds have period. ATONEMENT IS A PLD'S BEST HATE TOOL.

Citing faf is lol, and is most likely a lie, faf doesnt 2 shot anyone.

I've blinked through well over 300 fafhogs and the handful of times I've died is entirely due to terror and whm not paying attention.

Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2009-11-21 11:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Artaxerxes said:
So many stupid opinions here, do not listen to Zicdeh, in fact do the opposite. Always gear towards dd, mob tp is trivial in all non lowman situations.

750 damage is 750 damage and is the best hate tool plds have period. ATONEMENT IS A PLD'S BEST HATE TOOL.

I've blinked through well over 300 fafhogs and the handful of times I've died is entirely due to terror and whm not paying attention.
Art you're beautiful. Stop making sense :p

Hows my buddy Kass? I havent spoken to him for a long time since he left, tell him tora/hito say and grats to his amano!
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-21 11:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes said:

inb4lolubotscum

Seriously though, listen to this guy. I've watched Art hold ***with almost no help after people got stupid and almost wiped the team. He knows his ***.
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-21 11:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes said:

Everything is situational on Paladin.

People have contributed to their experience, and different situations are different for each player, as each player has different Skill/Gear/Merits/Race etc, therefore calling people's opinions/experience "stupid" is an ignorant statement.

You should gear to what best suits your play style.

My advice as a Paladin for over 4 years would be, Gear to what suits your play style.

But mainly...

Learn your job, find out what your limits are as a Paladin and just really experiment with the job, and i can assure you you will fare much better then the "know it all's" who think they know what they are doing and have been spoonfed gear, compared to players who have taken the time to understand the job and get the gear that makes them a good paladin. (like i said, different gear helps different players, regarding how they approach a fight.)
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-21 12:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I bet my life that you will die less that way.

There no more reason to respond to anything he's said earlier. Besides the fact that he is so blatantly and sadly wrong in half the stuff he has said, he's clearly also dead.

And to the above poster, yes, idling in AF+1 boots when you're blink tanking with shadows up IS stupid. You can defend many things people argue for, but at the rate its going we're going to have people suggesting mithkabobs over tacos/dorado
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-21 13:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Ares's would be one of the better DD/tanking bodies... I can't say for sure though. Because alas... I do not have one :'(
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-21 13:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Ares essentially like you'd use a Parade Gorget. Hauby+1 will outperform Ares in some situations and vice versa.
 Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes
By Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes 2009-11-21 14:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

overall ares is the best body, versatile and whatnot. It allows you to swap out ballad 1 for a more offensive song, most notably madrigal and keep your same mp throughput which is huge.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-21 14:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Very true :( I wish more Bards would realise this. I get the most weird looks when saying I want a Madrigal over a Ballad (I don't have Ares body but the analogy still largely applies).

Especially when you have the token 2006din there who's like "but i like the mp ^^" when they're sitting at 300+ since they don't have cure cheats or anything. Rage.