Forum » FFXI » General » Buff cap?
Buff cap?
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-05-03 02:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a bit of searching, but didn't see much. Isn't the buff icon cap @32?

If so, do buffs after that apply, but are invisible? Or do they just begin to overwrite each other?
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-03 03:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a visual (displayed) buff cap, but I don't think there's a cap on the amount of buffs you can have, or if there is one it's certainly higher than the visual one.
So to answer your question yes, you can have more buffs than the UI can display at the same time.

One cap that I know of is that for Rolls and Songs.
These two type of buffs share a common 12 slots cap.
That means you cannot have more than 12 combined buffs coming from rolls or Songs, in any combination.

That could be 11 songs and 1 roll, 8 rolls and 4 songs, whatever, no more than 12 total.
A lot of people seem to forget this. Doesn't take that much to reach it, 2 BRDs using SP and rotating and 2 CORs rotating and you're already beyond the cap, meaning the 2 older buffs will be overwritten.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-03 06:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't "stop showing up". There's a cap of 12 slots shared between songs and rolls, I explained it in the post before yours.
It's not a "visual display" cap, it's a real cap.

The 32 (or whatever it is) buff icons thing is a "visual display" cap.
There might be an "overall buff" cap, but if there is one it's definitely higher than 32 because you *can* have more than those buffs, it's just that some won't be displayed on screen in the buffs section of the UI, and that's it.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-05-03 08:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info. Sechs.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-03 08:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
How did you test that? Checked to see if not getting effect of a roll or song?
Exactely.
When you get a song/roll that would potentially be the 13th, the first one gets overwritten.

Now to be honest I don't remember if the last overwrites the first (according to the order they were received by players) or if there's a more complex logic like "time left on the buff".
You're asking too much! I don't remember lol.

But yes it was tested from the menu display, back then we didn't have /checkparam yet.

On the other hand it's pretty easy to test the "you can get more than 32 buffs, you just won't see them" things.
Just get all those buffs and notice which aren't displayed. Then start to manually cancel buffs and you'll notice how more buffs will appear in the UI. Pretty easy to test.
If you lived the Voidwatch Era I'm sure you noticed this yourself, was pretty easy then to occur in a situation with more buffs than the UI can display.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-03 08:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Also, then, what are the optimal 12 rolls and songs for DD in burn?
No bloody clue, depends on which other buffs you're getting, if your BRD is using soul voice etc.

For instance if you have Dia4 and bolster Idris Frailty on the target and the bard is using Soul Voice, you probably won't need more then Honor March, Minuet 5 and Minuet 4 to cap attack. Probably less than that when you factor potential food, Smite traits, Berserk and such.
Likewise with Chaos Roll.

Was just making an example but the same applies with Haste for instance. Will you be getting entrusted Indi Haste? Diffusioned Mighty Guard? Haste 2? Etc.

I really don't know how to help you, it's way too situational. For instance on some targets you want to use defensive songs (carols) to reduce the chances of bad debuffs sticking on your DDs. Albumen is a pretty fine example of this scenario.
I would say Honor March and Samurai Roll are probably mandatory, the rest is very situational. Personally I would use COR for the "unique" buffs that only COR can give, instead of "wasting" a roll slot for stuff you can get from other buff slots like songs or GEO bubbles (attack or accuracy, for instance)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-03 08:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Buffs after 32 are stored but not visible due to client/packet limitations.

Songs/Rolls after 12 are overwritten in order of least duration. A new song with less duration than the shortest already active song/roll will still take effect, removing the shortest song/roll.

Directx always wanting hard answers, you should know by now how situational this game is.
[+]

Post deleted by User.