String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 77 78 79 ... 94 95 96
By Aerix 2021-11-25 03:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranoutofspace said: »
Wasn't one Mache Earring +1 enough with Godhands?

Ah, I guess I didn't properly specify that in the node. Fixed it.

Technically Godhands reaches the ideal Delay if you use an HQ as well as an NQ Mache Earring together, but 2x HQ overcaps only very slightly so the extra DEX/Acc/DA make it an acceptable trade-off. Xiucoatl only needs a single Mache Earring +1 as an additional earring (NQ or HQ) would overcap too much of the MA+ they add.

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Human error is more likely in a parse than in a program. If I mess something up I can just say oops and change what I need as far as settings go and take 30 seconds to get a new result.

True, and while I don't think this is the case there's always a chance there might be a bug or incorrect formula that you haven't caught yet. I'm not sure if you've publicly shared your simulator, but since I haven't examined the code myself (and likely won't have the time for it) to make sure everything is fully accurate I'd prefer to do my own testing using in-game numbers to verify any simulations.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-11-25 05:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
It's not 15-20%, its much more, but like I said, MNK upper and lower end of DPS is very wide, because of nature of Impetus and also how massive is damage difference when you get few lucky TA proc on Tornado

I'm 100% with Simon here, Impetus is massive and it's not even close between a well-geared MNK and a similarly well-geared PUP+Auto for DPS.

Not saying PUP can't put out some respectable damage, but come on this should be obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see the a difference approaching the 40% he estimated. If people were thinking that maybe the automaton could make up for the lack of KA, Footwork, extra tier of PDL+ and Smite, counters, and some better offensive gear options (e.g., JSE necks, JSE cape base stats, Kendatsuba, etc.)? Well... they'd still be wrong but it would be a more reasonable inquiry. But Impetus is SUPER powerful.

Difficulty of getting buffs for player and pet at the same time is another factor not in PUP's favor, if you aren't going 100% master focus.

Asura.Bixbite said: »
Pup doesn’t have nothing for survivability either. It gets a zero to full hp healing job ability every 2 mins with role reversal

To be fair, Chakra is so strong that it's also a full HP heal on a 3min timer with none of the downside of Role Reversal (actually puts the puppet at some risk until you repair or regen back up, requires puppet out in the first place).

Ranoutofspace said: »
Wasn't one Mache Earring +1 enough with Godhands?

It's allllmost enough. Minimum delay on Dly:138 Godhands is 123.6. You get down to 125 with mastered PUP using one Mache+1 (MA+13).

Need MA+17 in gear for PUP to hit minimum delay with Godhands. I'm a little curious whether Empy +2/+3 legs will get there (119+1 are MA+11)

MNK's extra 5 MA (from 1 more MA+5 gift) brings them almost perfectly to minimum delay if also using 1x Mache+1 and Godhands - ends up at 123.4375, just under the 123.6 minimum delay. Or, if using Bhikku Cyclas +1 (Martial Arts+6), as a MNK should generally do with Impetus up, and no other MA gear is about same (at 125.625 delay) as a PUP with Mache+1.

Minimum delay = [480 + [weapon delay]] * 0.2 (so, 123.6 for GH)

A (pre-haste delay) = [480 base h2h delay] + [weapon delay] - [martial arts]

B (total haste, x/1024) = 704 for capped magic & gear haste (from 448 magical haste and 256 gear haste)

Final delay = A * ((1024 - B)/1024)
By Aerix 2021-11-25 06:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
It's allllmost enough. Minimum delay on Dly:138 Godhands is 123.6. You get down to 125 with mastered PUP using one Mache+1.

MNK's extra 5 MA (from 1 more MA+5 gift) brings them almost perfectly to minimum delay if also using 1x Mache+1 and Godhands - ends up at 123.4375, just under the 123.6 minimum delay. Or, if using Bhikku Cyclas +1 (Martial Arts-6), as a MNK should generally do with Impetus up, and no other MA gear is about same as a PUP with Mache+1 (125.625 delay).

Minimum delay = [480 + [weapon delay]] * 0.2 (so, 123.6 for GH)

A (pre-haste delay) = [480 base h2h delay] + [weapon delay] - [martial arts]

B (total haste, x/1024) = 704 for capped magic & gear haste (from 448 magical haste and 256 gear haste)

Final delay = A * ((1024 - B)/1024)

No point in repeating myself with regard to the other stuff.

In any case, looks like I forgot about the -5 MA delay from the 550 gift that PUP gets when I rechecked the numbers earlier, so using any second Mache Earring (+1) would not be worth it. Guess I had it right in the guide the first time around. I'll adjust the posted set and node accordingly.
By Aerix 2021-11-26 19:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

PSA: Not sure if this has been reported yet, but the spawn point of the ZNM "Ob" is now surrounded by true sound Apex cogs. Can't safely solo pop it anymore to farm Guignol earring, if you still need one. Bring at least one friend to sac pop.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
Server: Carbuncle
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2021-11-27 09:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This is kind of bad that ppl that farm znm can die from apex mobs...
[+]
 Asura.Skyekitty
Server: Asura
By Asura.Skyekitty 2021-11-27 22:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Question: Do pup parts have any level restrictions? Can you use the best parts at lvl 1?
By Nariont 2021-11-27 22:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

No restrictions
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-11-27 22:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No level restrictions on usage only limit is your elemental capacity
[+]
 Asura.Skyekitty
By Asura.Skyekitty 2021-11-27 22:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2021-11-28 01:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a level limit to purchase some of them from the selling NPC, though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
Server: Carbuncle
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2021-11-28 04:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Now i dont remember but does kkk need any martial arts accessories when you build tp for am3 ? I have been using mâche +1 on non am3 set but now i wonder if it doesnt cut my tp gain à bit
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2021-11-28 04:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

don't wear MA gear with KKK unless you have zero haste for some reason
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-12-21 17:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the string theory guide on BG updated? In particular I didn't think I saw mpaca feet anywhere on it and that automaton +1 stat seemed big to me, maybe I just overlooked it?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-21 17:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

BG's is about a year out of date more or less, but the OP (2nd post) here is up to date
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-12-22 00:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
don't wear MA gear with KKK unless you have zero haste for some reason

Austar is correct, but for some additional detail:

If capped gear/magical haste, PUP only needs 190~191 Martial Arts to hit delay cap using Kenkonken (as a delay+49 h2h weapon). Master PUP has MA Delay-205 (already more than capped), plus ANOTHER -50 from KKK. So, you're FAR over capped with no MA gear aside from KKK itself.

If only getting Haste II (~300/1024 magical haste), you won't hit delay cap without picking up some delay reduction elsewhere. For instance, a DNC main's Haste Samba will overcap you, or a /DNC Samba + about 15 Martial Arts.

It's also theoretically possible to reduce your equipment haste to avoid overcapping delay (and lowering TP/hit). A Master PUP with capped magical haste using Kenkonken would need to have approximately 18% Gear haste to hit cap. Perhaps you could find a set that does that, but PUP's main TP options generally come with enough haste that it would be difficult. Especially using stuff like Malignance (5/5 = Haste 26%) that already synergizes so well with Kenkonken due to high STP working well with Mythic AM3. More likely, better approach is just to accept the slightly lower TP/hit and make up for that with all the STP on gear and fast TP gain due to Mythic aftermath. But if you happen to find some future set that's slightly less than capped gear haste... that may actually be a GOOD thing if using Kenkonken.
By Guyford 2021-12-22 00:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So reducing your gear haste wont affect your tp/hit, its based on your MA which isnt going to change. That extra 7% gear haste doesn't reduce your tp/hit, it just doesnt do anything, so no need to worry about removing it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-12-22 00:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops mistake, I'm drunk apparently. Yeah, the haste won't change tp/hit (even if you are able to hit delay cap without capped gear haste), since MA won't change.

Now, if there was ever a decision of whether to cap delay using gear haste or MA, you'd want the gear haste precisely due to that not lowering your TP/hit (but MA above delay cap reducing TP/hit). Not terribly relevant for Kenkonken PUP, but sometimes relevant for DW jobs for similar reason.
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-12-28 16:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a best practice for leveling up your puppet's skills?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-28 16:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Set it on a thing it can hit and do something else till that thing dies. Something with a ***ton of hp or heals itself.

Still don't really know "the most" optimal maneuvers though. You want to hit more and hit faster but have percolator work too. Some combo of light water wind with all the turbos coilers and/or drum mag/repeaters
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-12-28 16:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Buffyslyph said: »
Is there a best practice for leveling up your puppet's skills?
IIRC I did the snails in Ceizak Battlegrounds.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-12-28 16:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Set it on a thing it can hit and do something else till that thing dies. Something with a ***ton of hp or heals itself.

Here I come Kei!
 Asura.Bixbite
By Asura.Bixbite 2021-12-28 18:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

When your pet is able to hit apex. You can put it on them solo. Could use no dd attachments and even no trusts if your goal is only skilling up while afk doing other stuff.

Depending on what skill you want to level.
Increase your frequency of ranged attacks (repeater, drum magazine,barrage turbine)
Melee double attack and haste (coiler 1 and 2, turbo charger 1 and 2)
Spell frequency (amplfier 1 and 2 gives a ton of fast cast, damage gauge for heals.)

Overdrive Water , Light + ? with percolater will give a big boost in skillups for 3mins every 40mins overdrive is back up.
[+]
 Asura.Neviskio
user: Neviskio
By Asura.Neviskio 2022-01-10 21:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Been trying to break in into puppetmaster for a few years, think I got enough gear to get to a good starting point now but was wondering: is burana earring needed since I'm using gelos on smn? Also what's the simplest bare minimum of sets one would need to perform okay?

Was thinking idle/petidle/hybrid tp/master tp/pet tp/master generic ws set/pet generic ws set/pet OD/tanking, would that spread be okay to start doing some non super high end content? I'm mainly getting into pup to have some variety from war/brd/mnk and smn doesn't seem as great for solo as I thought.

thanks for the help, I'll go back reading the sets again in the main OP as there's a lot of gear there <.<
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2022-01-12 16:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I have some stupid questions:

I bought some stuff like Strobe and Strobe 2, but I haven't done a head or body yet (I want to do soothsayer head and valoredge frame for turtle tank from BG string theory guide).

I can't figure out how to equip the stuff I bought. I have the valoredge frame in progress with NPC.

1. How do I equip stuff like strobe?
2. I can't seem to put it in my mog wardrobe, does it have to stay in inventory?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-12 16:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You give them to the lady npc at the frame builders then after that you go in the equip menu and pick automation's equip

Convoluted 2 step process that turns regular sellable stuff into basically EX pup gear.
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2022-01-12 21:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a pup lua anyone is willing to share?
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2022-01-12 23:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering tanking on Pup for Odyssey V15+ Vengeance. I am assuming Tank Turtle build + Heyoka Gear set? I also have augmented Taeon in accordance to BG String Theory guide, but it lacks enmity. Looking for some solid non overdrive sets.

I have come to figure out, it is hard for Pup to DPS while his auto is tanking due to not being in proper maton gear. I guess most pups stand with mages while tanking?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-01-12 23:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, tanking is pretty much:
1) Turtle build (Rao/Taeon gear),
2) Swap your pet enmity+ gear (Heyoka, earrings) in before Flash/Voke,
3) Change back to your turtle gear after flash/voke go off (less damage taken when you get hit = less enmity loss)

You're going to need defensive attachments for the puppet to tank well, so its offense will be terrible. Tank+DD at the same time is really more an Overdrive thing.

If you're fighting something dangerous, master stays away on backline. The squishy master dying = potential wipe because you lost your near indestructible tank. And besides, your pet tanking/enmity gear doesn't have great master DPS stats anyway, and if you do switch to master TP gear the pet takes more damage and loses hate. Plus, master in range who needs cures is negating a big part of the value of PUP tanking not requiring a dedicated healer.

It's one thing to have a tanky puppet act more like a first voke for fodder type mobs (say, have the puppet grab a mob in Dynamis or Sheol, then master uses DD gear to melee it). Wouldn't want to do that for difficult NMs though.

Also keep in mind that keeping hate off of strong melees is difficult even with perfect gear (unless you're actively accounting for that with stuff like SMN Pacifying Ruby, SCH Enm-). A lot easier to PUP tank in setups like SMN DDs, nukers, even ranged (particularly rangers using low enmity WS like Coronach, Wildfire, even Trueflight to an extent... less so for hate magnet Last Stand).
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-01-12 23:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I friggin love reading your PUP posts, Capuchin 8) You and Aerix are da best
First Page 2 3 ... 77 78 79 ... 94 95 96