Forum » FFXI » Digging » Chocobo Digging Observations
Chocobo Digging Observations
By Pugofmidgard 2018-04-10 18:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Chocobo - AzureBreeze
Green Female BastokStables
ISNM Egg: - Compliments to the Chef
Traits: Bore - TreasureFinder
Has No Feature Modifications (Normal beak, legs, feathers)
STR - B
END - B
DSC - A
RCP - S

Every Zone Dig!

Player Related Information
Max Digging Skill
Blue Racing Silks
Chocobo Digging Rope

Other context notes

I have not personally raised and used a Chocobo with Burrow, so my personal digging observations are limited to my use of AzureBreeze.

I have added Burrow Pool Data based on other's findings. Some Burrow Layers were easy to identify because the pools were repeats of Bore Layers, others are unique to Burrow and can't be fully 'confirmed' through my test digs.

My setup will generally convert 300 Greens into 400+ items in a single whistle use worth of dig time.

I do not use add-ons/plug-ins to parse results.

Blue Racing Silks adding to the capacity potential and Discernment freebies stretching out the green stacks makes for a very high available space requirement for effective dig times.

Available Inventory Space can't be a concern during this activity, so a near empty inventory is recommended.

More so in areas where there are non-stacking item results, like Red Jar - Furniture.

Digging Experiences

I view the traits Bore and Burrow as providing a means to access another strata layer when digging.

Mechanically it is just another pool of drops unique to each trait when present on a Chocobo.

Weather, Moon Phase, Day of Week, and Time of Day absolutely impact what items can be dug up, but these modifiers don't necessarily have an impact on items received in every instance, in every zone.

Digging Reward Sequence

Normal Layer (Treasure Item Find Yes/No - Yes, End) No > (Normal Item Find{check for phased pools - weather, day, night} Yes/No, Yes/No Bore/Burrow) > Bore/Burrow Layer (Bore/Burrow Item Find Yes/No, End)

Treasure Items in my description are items like Heavy Metal Plates, Dynamis Currency, Walk of Echo Coins.

Even with a combined months of daily 35 minute digging runs, Treasure Item finds are infrequent.

Combining the potential types in a zone, the number of Treasure Item Finds in terms of a count within a digging session: 1-3 being common, 4-7 being uncommon, and 8+ being extremely rare.

There has never been a Normal Digging Layer Item pool drop as a second drop, nor a Bore Layer Item Result when these Treasure Items appear, always by itself in my observations.

Normal Item Layer, Normal Item success can also include a Bore/Burrow item in the result, getting 2 items for a single dig success.

Flanteus noted 1-3 three items on a Chocobo with both Bore and Burrow.

Weather, Day, and Night modified Normal Item pools can allow an additional Bore/Burrow item result.

Bore Layer and Burrow Layer items can appear alone, not just as a second item on a Normal Item result dig.

I lack a bird setup with both traits to know if a Bore Item and a Burrow Item can appear together and if there is a priority.

An item can be a possible result in both the Normal and Bore/Burrow layers, which can create the chance that you may receive two of the same item in a single dig success.

Acknowledgements and tasks

I would like to thank everyone that posted/shared their data and findings and would like to offer additions, and responses where I can, with this context about my results.

There are a number of existing posts with item findings, but not yet all consolidated. Zone Item lists for zones added in 2016 may not be fully revealed in those posts due to skill conditions, bird trait requirements, and general rarity of the activity to confirm all items are discovered.

My approach here will be to gather existing data, acknowledge sources and providers, and validate and expand lists where I can and outline needs to complete the Burrow point of view which I currently lack access.

MoobooMagoo - Big Thank you. Your posts were instrumental in the completion of Burrow layer dig info, as well as helping understand some(all?) of what the Black Chocobo Costume does during digs.

Catrina - Thank you. Lots of the initial findings posts.

Flanteus - Thank you. More Burrow Data.

Kisagotami - Thank you. Seeing allot of the same sample observations in initial Conquest Zone expansions in 2016.

Data Template-

Zone: Name of Zone
Weather Aligned: Weather Aligned Results
Weather Unaligned: Weather doesn't add or change drops
Element Alignment: Area-Specific - Ignores Weather and Day of Week
Lunar Phase: Area-Specific (Elemental Ore during Waxing Crescent in some Conquest Zones being a known instance)
Day Only/Night Only: Sunrise to Sundown, Dusk to Dawn (Some ShadowReign zones have Bottled-Pixie in daytime pool, seeds at night)
Raised Chocobo Digging Only: Yes/No
STR Currency Reward: Conquest Points (400-1250), Allied Notes (400-1200), Imperial Standing (400-1200), Bayld (400-850)
- B Rank STR modified results noted
Normal Digging Layer: Items ordered based on Rarity/Rank estimates, then items with phased/limited periods (day/night/weather), Treasures, and lastly the Strength Currency of the area.

Burrow Digging Layer: A Raised Chocobo with the Trait Burrow can access these items.

Bore Digging Layer: A Raised Chocobo with the Trait Bore can access these items.
[+]
By Pugofmidgard 2018-04-10 20:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Middle Lands & Rise of the Zilart

Chains of Promathia

Aht Urhgan

ShadowReign

Adoulin
[+]
By MoobooMagoo 2018-04-11 10:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay I helped!
If you're right with the treasure -> normal -> burrow / bore idea, then that would make the black chocobo suit make more sense, as it would increase the odds of the initial treasure find, or possibly reduce the odds of a normal item. Or both.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1617 days between previous and next post]
By Pugofmidgard 2022-09-14 20:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Same behavior from the Denim Pants +1 (September 22 Logon Campaign) as the Black Suit, but now you can pair the effect with Racing Silks.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
By Chimerawizard 2022-10-17 13:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Was digging again for a few days w/ denim pants recently. 13~19 HMP's a day however it has been taking 3x as long to cap. For reference, it'd take me like 24min to cap and I'd get 1~3 HMP's a day w/o the pants.

Accidentally let campaign tag run out, and didn't re-up it. Zero allied note finds, dig accuracy went from ~33% to 25%, for another 20min~ digging. got 23 HMPs.

Chocobo: F/SSS/B?/SSS TreasureFinder/Canter.
(i should really make another with less END & more DSC. same traits)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-10-17 14:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So the conclusion there is that not having signet (sanction, sigil, etc.) allows you to avoid successful point digs and thus gets you more HMPs?
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-10-17 16:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Or that the denim pants (13-19 hmp) work a lot better than black chocobo costume (1-3 hmp)?
By Chimerawizard 2022-10-17 17:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
So the conclusion there is that not having signet (sanction, sigil, etc.) allows you to avoid successful point digs and thus gets you more HMPs?
Pretty sure I've dug w/o sigil before and still got allied notes. the fact i didn't have a valid medal is probably why it got removed from pool.

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
Or that the denim pants (13-19 hmp) work a lot better than black chocobo costume (1-3 hmp)?
I didn't use black chocobo costume as it cut the number of digs I can do per day (~400) down to 200 while reducing my dig accuracy and last I tested that item was when I was still skilling up digging. blue racing silks ftw!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
By Flonnezilla 2022-12-18 17:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Not being involved with Campaign allows you to avoid allied notes.

Denim Pants +1 works best in Qufim Island when combined with Blue Racing Silks. I tried multiple zones with main character and two dig mules - I never got HMP in Xaracabard (S) or even in Eastern Altepa Desert but when I went to Qufim - I was getting 15-20 per day when digging to fatigue. I been using the Silica and Magic Pot Shards and converting them to Imperial Cement that sells for 40k a pop as a single as they are used for a quest item for Puppetmaster and for a few other items relating to that job. I been using Coral Fragments and made Vivified Coral (mule has Anima Synthesis as a 70 alchemy sub) so I can make the reraise III gorget when stocks are low. As long you don't dig during weather active in Qufim and not use Bore/Burrow chocobos, you can average making over 6M per week digging to fatigue.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mashengo
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: mashengo
By Quetzalcoatl.Mashengo 2023-01-18 16:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Oof, these denim pants are really going to make me raise another bird, eh? My two digging birds are TH/Burrow and TH/Bore, but hadn't thought of just using pants w/o Burrow/Bore for better results. The hit in accuracy does really extend daily rides, take about 30 extra minutes to ride to fatigue, tho the raw # of items seems to be the same for me on my birds. I usually defer to just riding without them to make daily digging quicker.

Good tip on the loss of medal to remove the allied notes. For the time being, I focus on areas that have good burrow or bore items like P. Brass, as those sell directly for good gil as it's a common skill-up item for goldsmiths.

Most of the [S] areas also have first tier (109) AF/Relic upgrade items. I've noticed some of these items will spike as they run out of stock on AH, sometimes as high as 100k.

Other than that, a lot of the newer zones have a good mix of veteran level synth items, which may sell better directly to crafters if you have a good group of active crafters instead of waiting for stuff to sell on AH.