Forum » FFXI » General » General gear questions
General gear questions
 Bismarck.Osaia
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2018-02-02 05:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys. I have a few general questions to ask about gear. I haven't played since early 2015, and I'm having a little difficulty in gear choices.
1. Are elemental gorgets/belts/Fortia belt/gorget still ussful? I saw it on BGWiki and thought it (Fortia) would be useful, even if I have to level synergy to 50. Are there better choices now?
2. I decided on sticking with 2 dd (DRG/THF) and one utility job (WHM). Ambuscade gear seems great for DRG and THF, but not so much for WHM. I have a full Telchine set, that I never augmented. Is it still useful (after augs) or is there something more attainable?
3. And finally my Gungnir is 1/4 done with the 10,000 plutons, but after reading the DRG BG Wiki guide, it's fallen behind, with Aeonic being number one, and Rhongomiant second (I know right??). Should I just focus on Rhongo (I have 90 wep) or finish up the Gungnir. I'm being realistic on what I do here, my server doesn't have many people (max 360 at a time that i've observed).
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Evildemon 2018-02-02 05:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Yes they are still very useful and you could probably find someone to help you do the synths so leveling it isn't entirely necessary.
2. I'm not a career whm or anything but I do have a decently geared Mule. there is some pretty good gear from Escha Ru'aun for whm the Cyllenian abjuration set in addition to some of the whm af, relic and empreayn pieces in particular the whm empyrean body and legs 119 are amazing. The Whm forum guide is pretty good to go by and obviously can use nq versions instead of hq versions and be fine for starting out.
Drg and Thf will be fine with ambuscade gear to start out as you gear them more there's gear from the escha/reisinjima zones that in some slots will out perform ambuscade gear and vice versa.
3. I know a few people with AG Gungnir they seem to like it. It doesn't hurt to have it while you work towards building the aeonic. Mind you I haven't played Drg on a serious level in like 9 years but I'm sure the empyrean is pretty good to upgrade if you don't mind spending the gil.
 Bismarck.Megabaito
Server: Bismarck
user: megabyte
By Bismarck.Megabaito 2018-02-02 08:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you have a shot at Aeonic right now, complete the Gungnir.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-02-02 09:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Megabaito said: »
Unless you have a shot at Aeonic right now, complete the Gungnir.
I’ve made it for my 2 mains it’s fun.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-02-02 09:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking to #2 specifically as regards to whm.

Telchine is some of the best gear you can have for whm. Try to augment it with enhancing magic duration 8-10. It's a really good utility set. Having 4:30 hastes/storms is very good for both your sanity and your mp efficiency. 5 minutes is attainable if you can also get a Gada and an ammurapi shield.

Ambuscade gear is pretty hit or miss. You should get Inyanga Jubbah at the very least, its an excellent Fast cast piece. The hands are also decent barring Relic +3 or Kaykaus (Abjuration gear from escha ru'aun). Its also got tons of magic accuracy if you want to land enfeebles.

The other Ambuscade set is pretty good for melee if you ever get into that on whm.
 Ragnarok.Lockfort
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Lockfort 2018-02-02 09:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Full inyanga set is great +meva you can get for WHM. With full +2 you can sit in +meva and refresh. Assuming you do higher content and you have to be in range of an enemy that is magic intensive, full inyanga is very nice.
 Fenrir.Jumeya
Server: Fenrir
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-02-02 10:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lockfort said: »
Full inyanga set is great +meva you can get for WHM. With full +2 you can sit in +meva and refresh. Assuming you do higher content and you have to be in range of an enemy that is magic intensive, full inyanga is very nice.

Assuming you do not get nailed and eat dirt from giving up DT. Depends on what you fight, but an equipset or toggle is quite handy. There’s that Kouryu staff too consider however Genmeis and Mafic cudgel do offer immense pdt for 2 slots.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-02-02 10:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Yes, mainly as situational/weaponskill pieces. Not much else exists in this category, unless you're picking up accessories for specific weaponskills.

2. Keep the Telchine set and try loading it with enhancing duration. Then pick up the other 80+ odd pieces for various WHM sets. DRG is fun if you have the gear and understand that no one wants it in their group. People will tell you to bring your whm and thief. You're probably gonna end up turning WHM cards into other job cards.

3. If you don't have 20,000 kills in Reisenjima and job mastery on dragoon, finish Gungir and pull everything in the zone until you do. Otherwise, finish Rhongo and argue with the retards from Asura about whether or not it's better than Trishula by a .57% parse on a fight where you never get slowed, stunned, and 17 people gave you buffs.

Or, better yet; *** both and start working on Yagrush
(It's neat but not required!)

...because you're probably going to be playing WHM to get into groups for the current content.
That and it'd be a thousand times cheaper, easier, and quicker to fix from scratch than either THF or DRG, and instantly more desirable.

4. Ignore this creature.
Odin.Drakenv said: »
hurr imma durr whur muh aoenix tho
 Lakshmi.Cortez
Server: Lakshmi
user: emerle
By Lakshmi.Cortez 2018-02-02 10:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would reconsider your thought process on having drg / Thf being your DD jobs.

99.9% of the time you will be on WHM if you only have Drg and Thf.

Both those jobs have continued to fall behind War, Sam, Drk and blu by a pretty considerable amount.

Obviously you play the game you want, just wanted to give you an outside perspective.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-02-02 10:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Cortez said: »
99.9% of the time I'm not on WHM, I'm on THF | DRG.
By emerle 2018-02-02 12:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Lakshmi.Cortez said: »
99.9% of the time I'm not on WHM, I'm on THF | DRG.

Yes Ou have Aoenic and mastered drg. Your situation and the OP is completely different.

Drg and Thf aren’t first choices when it comes to DD except in specific ambuscade situations.

My point was to inform him that the pecking order for DD doesn’t have Drg or Thf in the top 5. It will be a hard path forward making those your main as he starts to regear from 2015.

As always, play the jobs you enjoy. I personally don’t enjoy being suboptimal, so I choose to play jobs that are relevant.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-02-02 12:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jumeya said: »

Assuming you do not get nailed and eat dirt from giving up DT. Depends on what you fight, but an equipset or toggle is quite handy. There’s that Kouryu staff too consider however Genmeis and Mafic cudgel do offer immense pdt for 2 slots.

a decent meva set doesn't necessarily give up PDT
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-02-02 14:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Fenrir.Jumeya said: »

a decent meva set doesn't necessarily give up PDT

This.

Mafic cudgel is probably the most akward one, but mafic cudgel, genmei or genbu's shield, defending ring or abyssea dark ring, another dark ring, any number of DT or PDT capes, twilight torque/loricate torque. My whm has the best PDT set of all my jobs honestly.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-02-02 17:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

emerle said: »
Yes Ou have Aoenic and mastered drg. Your situation and the OP is completely different.
It will be a hard path forward making those your main as he starts to regear from 2015.

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?
I came back from a ten year break to a 75 RNG, ~5m in gil, stuck on the Minotaur in CoP with no other expansions completed beyond Zilart - let alone started.
If he plays thief, the most productive thing he can do is start fixing his thief to funnel gear into WHM and other classes. Oh, sure, it takes a little effort, help, and time.

But it pays off when he can solo chapter fights, farm anything he needs (mainly gear from Dynamis, Abyssea, Escha, various NMs, etc.), so on and so forth; which he's probably going to be doing more of than anything else for a while. The big kicker is not needing to be carried around like a toddler by someone else's thief and not having to wait for other people to help his WHM through content he could've been doing on thief the entire time. It's the most efficient route he can take.

So, the order of importance here would be THF>WHM>DRG: You're not going to run around farming 100 some odd set pieces for WHM in less than a month without your THF, you're not going to get the pieces you'll want for DRG without your WHM, and you're going to have issues solo farming beads for Aeonics without your DRG. If those are the classes you want to play, that's the way it's going to work out best for you. If you decide somewhere along the lines that you want to do something else, one day you might realize that your DRG sets are so nice that you can just use 90% of the pieces between DRK, SAM, WAR, etc.

My point was to inform him that the pecking order for DD doesn’t have Drg or Thf in the top 5.
My point is you're mom gay.
By Afania 2018-02-02 20:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was to inform him that the pecking order for DD doesn’t have Drg or Thf in the top 5.

What are the top 5, if THF isn't one of them? It's quite possibly one of the strongest 1h DD in game.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2018-02-02 22:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

What are the top 5, if THF isn't one of them? It's quite possibly one of the strongest 1h DD in game.

Well if you're talking about a new THF though...

I mean from a DD perspective, a mediocre BLU is better than mediocre anything else, but most DD's when well geared can out-do BLU. It really depends on ALOT of factors.

Short story, for now, probably not THF, you'll want something like WHM where you can just get carried for a bit while providing support with minimal effort. If you're skilled, you can quickly get from there, to what you want to play, but you have to start somewhere. COR is also an option in many groups, It's hard to get BiS gear, but you don't need it for most things.
[+]