Ambuscade V1 - January 2018
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Louisoix
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2018-01-13 13:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So PLD/BLU to throw out some aoe spells to gain hate is fine? Or ramp and sent warcry etc will suffice for enmity since they end up being slept after pets are out?
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-13 14:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

if the tank is good /war works fine

/blu just works better and cocoon

Difficulty in regards to the question is important cause for normal or lower it literally doesn't matter
 Leviathan.Louisoix
user: Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2018-01-13 14:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, and anything under VD doesnt matter! :D lol
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-13 15:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

On GEO how the hell do you survive VD?

Desiccate does like 2k+ damage in full DT

Tyrannic blare is 5 hits

Both too fast to run from (even with short range) without an addon

... or do you *** out and not stand in range at all
 Asura.Inuyushi
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-01-13 16:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
On GEO how the hell do you survive VD?

Desiccate does like 2k+ damage in full DT

Tyrannic blare is 5 hits

Both too fast to run from (even with short range) without an addon

... or do you *** out and not stand in range at all

Were you GEO/NIN? I believe most are using shadows to avoid damage.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asora
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asora 2018-01-14 04:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

After many, many unsuccessful runs, we finally cracked it on Very Difficult tonight using a VERY repeatable strategy. I've seen a lot of iffy or partial strategies so far and wanted to add to the wealth of knowledge. I hope that it helps someone struggling with this fight. I'll walk through our strategy from start to finish.

1. Party setup: This is by far not the ONLY setup, it's just what we used.

• PLD/WAR Aegis, Full Souveran +1/AF +3 body

• SAM/WAR Aeonic and a mix of +3 artifact and Hizamaru +2 ~1350 acc./485 STR WS set

• GEO/RDM Idris and capped skill

• BRD/WHM Ghorn, Carnwenhan, Daurdabla and Marsyas

• COR/WHM Standard duration gear and capped roll potency

• WHM/SCH 12 tick gear refresh, capped cure potency and capped fast cast

2.) The Adds: Buff at spawn. Have the PLD run in and group the mobs up in the center. BRD catches the end of NT to sleep the group with Ghorn. SAM runs in and grabs the mobs in the following order, using the following skill chains.

1. MORAINGIST: RANA -> SHOHA -> FRAGMENTATION

2. LANCER: SHOHA -> FUDO -> DISTORTION (Then kill the wyverns if they weren't absorbed during spirit surge)

3. ERUDITE: FUDO -> KASHA -> FUSION

4. PROTECTOR: KASHA -> RANA -> GRAVITATION

Keep in mind that the skillchains MUST be closed while the mob is idle, not casting magic or charging a TP move. If you CLOSE the skill chain while the mob is sitting idle, you will almost always get a message in your chat log. You need to see this message 4-6 times (WITHOUT KILLING THE MOB) until you receive the special message "The foe's LEADER grew even more oppressive". Once you receive this message, the aura glow will fade from the mob and it can be killed quickly. After the aura was removed, I was killing each mob with a 2KTP Shoha -> 1kTP Kasha -> LIGHT -> 1kTP Fudo -> RADIANCE.

3. The Mega Boss: The Mega Boss can be kept slept through the entire fight up to this point. After killing the last add, ensure he's slept and rebuff. At this point, the mega boss's aura should be down because you removed it from all the adds. Have the PLD run back to the spawn corner after flashing and voking the mega boss. Once everyone is set, whack him once with SAM to wake him up and he should head right to the PLD.

He's fairly docile without his aura up. At what seemed like 75%, 50%, 25% and often many times under 15%, he would gain a special double aura of both light and darkness. This was easily removed by alternating between RANA -> FUDO -> DARKNESS, then FUDO -> FUDO -> LIGHT. Alternate back and forth until the aura is gone. Then continue pounding on him. At a casual pace, we were able to clear the adds with about 15 minutes remaining, and clear the boss with about 5 minutes remaining.

A few things to keep in mind.
  • The adds must not be killed before the aura is removed. If one dies before the special message and aura removal, just warp out and re-enter. I used an old low level garbage AH katana (with capped spell haste, capped gear haste and GEO precision) to skill chain on the weaker adds and the UCNM multi-hit katana to chain on the stronger ones.

• Hate control is a bit of a nightmare. The wyverns like to dance around everywhere, so a good, hasted tank with quick flash and voke reactions is VERY helpful for keeping weaker party members alive.

• While this is far from proven, we used NO enfeebles on the mega boss as it seemed to piss him off a little bit. All spells and JA's were party facing buffs.

I hope this helps everyone really crush this months Ambu.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-14 07:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the charm from megaboss truly random or triggered by something?
It seems to be there's some sort of connection between casting spells/debuffs on him and being charmed, but it's not 100% so it has to be more complex than just that, supposing it's not plain random of course but I dunno, doesn't seem completely random to me.
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-01-14 07:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
If that's the case then empyrean AM3 ftw.

Until the moment it can be proven its not based on "accumulated critical damage" I would skip AM3 in order not to kill add before "proc".

But the moment its verified Yes totally rock AM3 and go to town.
 Bahamut.Riyoko
Server: Bahamut
user: Jone
By Bahamut.Riyoko 2018-01-14 07:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
It seems to be there's some sort of connection between casting spells/debuffs on him and being charmed, but it's not 100% so it has to be more complex than just that, supposing it's not plain random of course but I dunno, doesn't seem completely random to me.

Triggered by players applying enfeebles (including Flash/Elegy etc..) while the mobs are awake. If you're a BRD and have slept them all, you could apply your enfeebles on sleeping mobs and even cast a dia on the mega boss when he's asleep.
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-01-14 07:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
It seems to be there's some sort of connection between casting spells/debuffs on him and being charmed

Any Elemental Spell will put the caster on the charm list or "Axe" list.
Songs don't trigger that.
Enhancing Magic or Light Base Enfeebles and Divine Magic will cause hate issues to back line jobs when adds are out [Protector specifically and Pets]
HydroShot from Moraingist is a hate rest.
Divine magic on Main by tank will trigger Amnesia that will last for a long time.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-14 07:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If your going to use SAM then for the love of god don't use high level WS's to clear auras.

Tachi: Enpi -> Tachi: Enpi = Distortion
Tachi: Kagero -> Tachi: Goten = Fusion
Tachi: Jinpu -> Tachi: Ageha = Gravitation
Tachi: Hobaku -> Tachi: Koki = Fragmentation

These should do next to no damage and never have a risk of killing it too fast.
By Afania 2018-01-14 07:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like WHM really isn't necessary. This pt has 3 supports(COR+BRDx2) but no WHM, and finished VD in less than 8 min.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I think they may finish even faster if one of their BRD or COR melee instead, or use SMN instead of 2 BRDs. Or maybe 3 DD and screw GEO?

So maybe something like:
Tank (DD with crit-hit gears), NIN NIN NIN COR(DD) BRD (Heal)

Or

Tank (DD crit-hit), NIN NIN COR(DD) BRD(DD) SMN (Heal/favor + main NM zerg)?

I am not sure if double brd is necessary as well, but maybe it is.
 Carbuncle.Asora
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asora 2018-01-14 08:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, the crit method is much quicker and takes much less skill to accomplish. The night we decided to put together a strategy, we just didn't have any NIN's on. It's a no brainer to whack on the mobs until the aura comes off. Even with the single Aeonic SAM method we've been able to shave it down to a sub 10 minute fight.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 08:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The crit way is definitely my preferred way of doing it. Basically idiot proof which is a HUGE selling point for assura.

But then preventing mijin became the issue instead. Which btw did 70k damage to an Aegis pld, lawl.
By geigei 2018-01-14 08:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ea/scherzo for mijin works?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 09:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea, I don't think it's going to save you from a 100k mijin lol... Bard and Geo both got wrecked before mijin even started.

Normal (just like last time) might be the upper limit for most shout. On normal it doesn't do mijin until 4% only (and even then it is completely un-survivable.) but dies before it goes off.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-01-14 09:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
70k damage to an Aegis pld, lawl.
Wow 70k? How is that possible? I took ~30k on RUN :O
lucky/random resist I guess...
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2018-01-14 09:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're supposed to prevent mijin by doing light and/or dark skillchains when he's wheeling. That'll take the dark aura off. Generally doing one of each will do the trick. Dunno if you actually need both or it's randomly one or the other or what.
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-01-14 12:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You only need one Aura off to prevent Mijin after the elemental wheel cycle.
If you lock it on [light Aura] you can still kill it without issues provided you have a source of [shadows] to survive “Desiccate“ and it wont use elemental wheel.

We found out that using DNC COR combo is the best/fastest so far with few tweaks to buffs:
-Starting buffs are the same with COR: Fighters and Crooked Rouge
DNC full-time Saber Dance and goes to town and BRD does all acc capped haste songs and GEO-DEX + Fury.

-It is now confirmed that Stagger happen by "procs of critical hits" with the highest probability during adds SP.
So the accumulated critical damage is dismissed.

-After you kill all adds you need to switch to Samurai Roll + Allies Roll and let DNC preform multi sc ending with Umbra or Darkness on it.
First Multi sc should take around 70% of its total HP if done correctly. [Allies Roll capped SCDMG to 99k on 3rd, 4th ws]

Please note that before fighting the Main boss you must apply Paralyze from WHM or GEO while its asleep then ice threnody then wake it up with ice shots [Paralyze helps tremendously during elemental wheel cycle].

You have about 8 total Ninjitsu spells before it Mijin's thats a big window to kill it.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-01-14 13:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the highest difficulty that a party of 6 players can safely ignore the auras? E or N?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 14:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done it on normal ignoring auras with pug, pretty safe. Wont mijin till 4% and you can kill it before it goes off.

But on normal without really trying youll break the auras with crits, there's no real reason not to.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2018-01-14 14:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Can crits break boss auras or does it have to be sc?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 14:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Boss aura I've never seen it done with crits, it generally dies with it's dark aura up on N-
By Afania 2018-01-14 14:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Did a bit of D on COR/WHM main healing the pt with a BRD/WHM co-healing, it's quite manageable although it can be a bit taxing when multiple melee gets hit with 2+ status ailments.

Still, I would say real healer isn't all that necessary if COR/WHM is enough to heal.

2) JP from LS said boss always mijin in the same order: Huton > Hyoton > Mijiin. So it's possible to Dodge mijin by running out of range as soon as Huton is casted. Can anyone confirm this?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 15:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It will draw everyone in if you run, so no.

Not only the person with hate, but if anyone is out of mijin range it triggers draw in.
[+]
By Divewing 2018-01-14 15:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
1) Did a bit of D on COR/WHM main healing the pt with a BRD/WHM co-healing, it's quite manageable although it can be a bit taxing when multiple melee gets hit with 2+ status ailments.

Still, I would say real healer isn't all that necessary if COR/WHM is enough to heal.

2) JP from LS said boss always mijin in the same order: Huton > Hyoton > Mijiin. So it's possible to Dodge mijin by running out of range as soon as Huton is casted. Can anyone confirm this?

We tried this a couple nights ago on D. Group was SAM COR BRD WHM WAR PLD. Unfortunately, when he starts his nijutsu wheel, he will do a draw-in that affects the entire area. He did the draw in every time if people were out of range, so there's absolutely no way to outrun Mijin since it goes off immediately. We were going to cheese it where the SAM would do a majority of the damage, then have the WAR & COR clean up the boss with the BRD healing. Didn't work out, unfortunately.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2018-01-14 15:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Earlier i did a E run without breaking anything and mob decided to go Mijin Kai. What i thought strange is that while everyone took high dmg, the GEO was unaffected somehow (or took too little dmg). Maybe she resisted or it was another trick in this?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-14 15:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

No trick that I'm aware of... a sold DT set and SS will result in a zero.

Or a shadow ring proc etc
 Leviathan.Katriina
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-01-14 15:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Earlier i did a E run without breaking anything and mob decided to go Mijin Kai. What i thought strange is that while everyone took high dmg, the GEO was unaffected somehow (or took too little dmg). Maybe she resisted or it was another trick in this?
No your GEO was charmed.

Since Charm is almost instant after the player casts anything [Elemental] on Main, I was wondering if we all need to sub RDM and cast T1 on last element cycle [Kurayami] or the very first [San] in order to all get charmed and negate Mijin.
Will try it out later..