Random Politics & Religion #19

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 57 58 59 ... 82 83 84
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2017-02-17 09:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Or is it without the article?
By Viciouss 2017-02-17 09:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Viciouss said: »
Obama healed the relationships that Trump has wasted no time in fraying again.
With who? Seriously! You cannot name a region or country that Obama "healed" relationships with that he didn't ultimately destroyed when Snowden leaked out Obama Administration's spying on such allies, along with his downplay and outright discourse against Syria and the rest of the Middle East. Let's not forget Ukraine either.

Sure I can, Western Europe, Japan, Australia. You think that those countries care about the spygame (of all things) over millions of dollars (billions if you are England) wasted in Iraq over made up intel? No, Snowden doesn't "balance out" the war in Iraq. Not even close. Thats the first time I have ever seen that argument though. I hope its the last because it is really silly.

And consequently Obama's image is already on the rise thanks to Trump.
And so was Bush's image when Obama was president. Does that make Bush a better president in your viewpoint?[/quote]

Except it wasn't. Bush's image never improved and still hasn't improved, not even in this country. You never see him.
By fonewear 2017-02-17 09:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
fonewear said: »
who is going to stop him
The congress, as soon as they find their balls again.

Good luck with that they have mid term elections in 2018...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-17 09:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what exactly is the plan of the Democrats here? Harping on this news conference won't help them... at all. Continuing the standard media anti-Trump blitz won't help if the entire election season is any indication.

Dems can gain hope from the fact that Trump is polling badly against a generic Democrat for 2020, but one of their biggest stars (Warren) is getting destroyed in the same polls. That suggests that people like the idea of the Democrat Party, but don't like the leaders that are actually in it. So instead of doing a talent search to find a new standard bearer, they're holding onto Pelosi and playing their nursing home bench as the frontrunners?

I don't get it. I guess spending the entire time railing on Trump feels good when you have absolutely nothing to offer the growing number of Americans who don't want your people in local and federal offices, but it did no favors for John Kerry when Bush was attacked for four years and everyone just assumed nobody liked him because the media said so.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-17 09:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So what is the worst that happens Congress does nothing pretty sure we have seen that once before.
By fonewear 2017-02-17 09:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If nothing were to happen in 4 years I really don't see how that would effect me or anyone I know.
By fonewear 2017-02-17 09:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

But by all means go protest march stamp your feet if it makes you feel better. I'll be laughing all the way to 2020.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-17 10:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Except it wasn't. Bush's image never improved and still hasn't improved, not even in this country. You never see him.

First of all, the bolded is important. Obama refuses leave the spotlight, and absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Second, here's an article from your propaganda wing that challenges your assertion.

CNN:

Warming on W.: More Americans like George W. Bush than dislike
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure I can, Western Europe, Japan, Australia. You think that those countries care about the spygame (of all things) over millions of dollars (billions if you are England) wasted in Iraq over made up intel? No, Snowden doesn't "balance out" the war in Iraq. Not even close. Thats the first time I have ever seen that argument though. I hope its the last because it is really silly.
I'll give you Western Europe, only because they (Obama and WE) share the same viewpoints (go figure, a president who shares the same viewpoints as a region is always going to look favorably there).

Come on Vic, even the liberal media admitted that his favorability rating improved post-office.

And this was back in 2015.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-17 10:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a mindblowing poor understanding of recent history to think that Obama did worse than Bush in the middle east.

And I'm by no means someone who defends Obama's foreign policy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a mindblowing poor understanding of recent history to think that Obama did worse than Bush in the middle east.

Or you can be very selective in your memory.

At best, people can say that Obama did no worse than Bush, but even then, they will be ignoring the incompetence displayed by Obama when it came to Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Libya, and Iran.
By fonewear 2017-02-17 10:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can be very selective in your memory.

At best, people can say that Obama did no worse than Bush, but even then, they will be ignoring the incompetence displayed by Obama when it came to Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Libya, and Iran.

Is that why I don't remember the last 8 years...
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2017-02-17 10:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you kidding? Trump's arrival has brought back a real wave of nostalgia for W from the left, it's uncanny.

George W. Bush has literally never been more popular than he is right now. The right never disliked him to begin with, and the left has realized that whatever their complaints with him, at least he believes in the rule of law.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-02-17 10:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

Are you kidding? Trump's arrival has brought back a real wave of nostalgia for W from the left, it's uncanny.

George W. Bush has literally never been more popular than he is right now. The right never disliked him to begin with, and the left has realized that whatever their complaints with him, at least he believes in the rule of law.
W is/was a politician. Trump is not. He's out of his element and doesn't fully understand what he's doing or how he should do it.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-17 10:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

Yes that's all true but are you gonna buy one of his paintings?
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2017-02-17 10:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

No, but the motivation behind it gives some insight into the man.

He's been painting veterans, specifically ones injured "following my orders". There's an ocean of debate as to whether those orders were a good idea or not, but do you think there will ever be a day where you hear a similar sentiment from Trump?

I don't think so either. And that sort of thing is the very reason why W's legacy is getting a post-Trump bump; a flawed President to be sure, but at least a human one.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cruz Missive said: »
but do you think there will ever be a day where you hear a similar sentiment from Trump?
Wait, is this a rhetorical question?

I don't think anyone expects any humility from Trump. That's not why he was elected.

I don't think so either. And that sort of thing is the very reason why W's legacy is getting a post-Trump bump; a flawed President to be sure, but at least a human one.
Here's hoping for a reroll in 2020.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

On that note, what are the odds of a Republican primary in 2019-2020?
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2017-02-17 10:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

0%. They're not going to primary President Pence, and there's no way Trump makes it that far.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-17 10:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said I do not defend Obama's admin in foreign affairs. But the guy still fails to realize that the actions of the Bush admin in Iraq have caused consequences so deep that they are just incomparable, a useless war that served nothing but creating thousands of terrorists.
Obama didn't want anything to do with what Bush did in Iraq but whoever idea it was to leave before fixing it was incredibly shortsighted(I can't believe nobody thought about it), Bush left Iraq in shambles and Obama just went oops I'll wait outside. Then his syrian campaign was rather poor(not useless, and I do not have the military intel and expertise to suggest how to do it better, but poor nonetheless).

Lybia however is a case similar to Iraq in theory. A useless war created for fear of Gaddafi shifting the economic balance of the world controlled by America. The only difference is that the EU countries will probably never leave it so history will make it seem like it was a lesser evil.

Ukraine has little to do with Obama, unless the Yakunovich conspiracy is true(but as with all conspiracies I would refrain from jumping on board without proof).
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-17 10:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, what exactly is the plan of the Democrats here? Harping on this news conference won't help them... at all. Continuing the standard media anti-Trump blitz won't help if the entire election season is any indication.

Dems can gain hope from the fact that Trump is polling badly against a generic Democrat for 2020, but one of their biggest stars (Warren) is getting destroyed in the same polls. That suggests that people like the idea of the Democrat Party, but don't like the leaders that are actually in it. So instead of doing a talent search to find a new standard bearer, they're holding onto Pelosi and playing their nursing home bench as the frontrunners?

I don't get it. I guess spending the entire time railing on Trump feels good when you have absolutely nothing to offer the growing number of Americans who don't want your people in local and federal offices, but it did no favors for John Kerry when Bush was attacked for four years and everyone just assumed nobody liked him because the media said so.

That's all they know how to do. They invested 100% of their ability into media control in order to control the popular narrative. Now that they've been shown to be a sham, people aren't listening anymore. Trump has played them perfectly. Got them so riled up they played their entire hand.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-17 10:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but the motivation behind it gives some insight into the man.

He's been painting veterans, specifically ones injured "following my orders". There's an ocean of debate as to whether those orders were a good idea or not, but do you think there will ever be a day where you hear a similar sentiment from Trump?

How dare you presume my agreement! You are correct though.

All signs show we're going to see a bad decision sooner than later. While Trump can make an appearance for the arrival of a singular KIA; I doubt he will find the time for all those that will be afflicted from said pending bad decisions.

I find that Bush is a tale of two presidencies that are defined by the watershed moment of 9-11 and the actions taken thereafter and the Abu Ghraib fiasco. There was significant in direction with regard policy and who he trusted after those two events.

Also like Fone mentioned earlier, I think in the long game of history Bush will be remembered more for the impact of PEPFAR than the debacle of Iraq.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-17 10:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

0%. They're not going to primary President Pence, and there's no way Trump makes it that far.

Did you just pull a Candlejack?

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

But the guy still fails to realize that the actions of the Bush admin in Iraq have caused consequences so deep that they are just incomparable, a useless war that served nothing but creating thousands of terrorists.
Obama is just as guilty as Bush for creating those terrorists. ISIS would not exist if it wasn't for the blunders of both Bush and Obama.

To say that Bush alone is responsible for what is happening in Iraq today is not only dishonest, but completely 100% partisan.

Then his syrian campaign was rather poor(not useless, and I do not have the military intel and expertise to suggest how to do it better, but poor nonetheless).
Hate to break it to you sweetheart, but Bush had zero to do with the Syrian civil war. That's all on Obama.

Lybia
Libya.

Lybia however is a case similar to Iraq in theory. A useless war created for fear of Gaddafi shifting the economic balance of the world controlled by America. The only difference is that the EU countries will probably never leave it so history will make it seem like it was a lesser evil.
Again, Bush and Obama share equitable blame for the happenings in Libya. Same concept as above.

Ukraine has little to do with Obama, unless the Yakunovich conspiracy is true(but as with all conspiracies I would refrain from jumping on board without proof).
Obama's noninterference with Russia during the Ukraine disaster is also another one of Obama's blunders. But then again, Crimea wanted to be annexed, so there you go.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-17 10:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2017-02-17 11:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Did you just pull a Candlejack?

I don't think he gets that far because he was never going to make it that far. I expect the real plan was to have him propose/sign off on some of the more PR-unfriendly proposals (hey guys! you can dump coal waste in rivers again, and your financial advisor can do what he *** wants!), then hit him with impeachment for violations of the emoluments clause, install Pence, and use Trump as the scapegoat for said PR-unfriendly bits. Pence is their guy in a way Trump never, ever, will be, but he likely wouldn't have won the general.

Congress was always going to have enough evidence to impeach, once Trump decided he wasn't really going to let go of his companies. It's only a matter of "when", with "when" being when he's not useful anymore (or such a threat to the party/nation that he must be removed).

The complication, of course, is that it's all gone so much crazier and so much faster than expected, and they've been caught off guard.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-17 11:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The real issue, and it's something we in the west ignore in our rhetoric about Putin is a bad man etc., is that article 2 of the "Russian-Ukrainian Friendship Treaty of 97/98'" was broken.

"In accord with provisions of the UN Charter and obligations of the Final Act on Security and Cooperation in Europe, the High Contracting Parties shall respect each other's territorial integrity and reaffirm the inviolability of the borders existing between them"

Now of course Russia justified the action by saying the Article where "both parties ensure the citizens of the other countries' rights and freedoms on the same basis and to the same extent that for it's citizens" was not being upheld. So Russia was coming to the aid of their brethren etc.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-17 11:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Congress was always going to have enough evidence to impeach, once Trump decided he wasn't really going to let go of his companies. It's only a matter of "when", with "when" being when he's not useful anymore (or such a threat to the party/nation that he must be removed).

The President is exempt from the conflict of interest laws that govern other federal executive branch employees, so I'm not sure what evidence you're referring to.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-17 11:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

All signs show we're going to see a bad decision sooner than later
I think he'll be the one to finally climax with KJU. Mind you, unifying the koreas will be great, just hope the cost won't be high.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 57 58 59 ... 82 83 84