Random Politics & Religion #19

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 82 83 84
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2017-02-09 09:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was being nice by stating it had tourists before...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 09:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You see all that green? That's all prime tourist areas. Camping is a HUGE thing.

Erie gets a lot of recreation money too with the lake and the like.

And ***on Pittsburgh all you want but it's rated internationally as one of America's best cities.
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 09:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That said, tourism is all rural PA has anymore and that can't really support even the meager population out there.

People want all these coal and fracking jobs to bring money back but that's a transient cash injection, at best, and it destroys things long-term.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-02-09 09:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty chaotic after 2 bomb threats, one in Göteborg and one in Södertälje, today. Hopefully it's false and nothing happens

[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-09 09:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is Mao on FFXIAH ?
By fonewear 2017-02-09 09:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't Mao be working on general tso chicken ?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Shouldn't Mao be working on general tso chicken ?

FFXIAH is a prominent stop on the Long March, obviously.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-09 10:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

On a related note, it looks like I'm going to be forced to move to Connecticut later this year. I expect some culture shock....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-09 10:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
That said, tourism is all rural PA has anymore and that can't really support even the meager population out there.
There's other reasons why industries don't invest in PA...
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-09 10:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
On a related note, it looks like I'm going to be forced to move to Connecticut later this year. I expect some culture shock....

I know nothing about Connecticut so I'll assume it's terrible.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-09 10:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Connecticut has culture?

/Ikid.jpg
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-09 10:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really want to see some culture, you should come to San Antonio/Austin area.

Houston has a lot of people from outside the state/US too.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-09 10:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Connecticut has culture?

/Ikid.jpg

Well, it's a far cry from Utah. I just hope the people there don't also give their kids really dumb names. Seriously, Utah names is a thing, look it up.
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of them!
By Zerowone 2017-02-09 10:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

How about that Kellyanne Conway getting into some ethical hot water this morning?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-09 10:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Your anecdotes needs to be updated, California hasn't had free college since 1966-67 when Reagan was governor. The universities have been progressively receiving less funding from the state which is why the cost of tuition steadily increases every year.

University in CA is still largely "free". I use those quotes because the actual cost of state University tuition varies depending on applicants parents income. Wealthy people obviously don't qualify for the state subsidized education nor do non-residents. That's another reason those universitys are accepting so many Asian students from China and Korea. Their parents are rich as *** and pay huge amounts to send their kids to "Western Universities" as its big bragging rights.

The point of this is that in order for CA to subsidize this education they need to tax the ever living *** out of middle class workers. Everything has spiraled out of control and $15 USD an hour there is more like $6 USD everywhere else.

Sounds like you're mixing up in-state tuition v out-state and foreign citizen rates with FASFA. Both of which aren't exclusive to California since one is a federal program and the other is practiced in every state.

No its pretty clear. Most states have some sort of atate subsidy for disadvantaged students, CA took this to a whole new level and practically everyone in the state qualifies for full tuition. The exceptions are the professional middle class and obviously the wealthy folks. This isn't cheap, CA facility are some of the highest paid in the nation along with the costs for the school itself. To cover these costs they tax the *** out of professionals and accept as many East Asian students as possible.

I actually turned down generous job offers in San Diego because the state taxes and fees would of crushed me compared to the other offers I had. I ended up settling for the DC area as VA is much better.

I get to say this because I'm the tax payer demographic that takes the biggest hit. I ended up with a 31% tax obligation before living expenses and other sales taxes fees and so forth. I'm not high enough to get all those exceptions and tax loopholes but too high for any sort of tax break.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-09 10:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Actually. over 80% of those ebil crapitalist corporations donate to the Dems as well.

That's kind of my point, around here you liberal posters like to rant and rail on Republicans for being "crony capitalists" and so forth while looking askance at the fact that Democrats do it just as much.
I have said here before that crony capitalism is bipartisan.

Quote:
Garuda.Chanti said: »
And as far as schools go, well here's an article about the school system in Michigan, championed my Ms DoVos:

Really dishonest even for you. That's Detroit, not just any city but Detroit, the progressive liberal Utopia with all those unions and regulations on capital distribution. They attempted charter schools long after the city's economic collapse gutted it's wealth and the city is now in the middle of bankruptcy.

That's like pointing to the private schools of Syria and then connecting Devos to them through vague references.

Evil Mr Dasterdly the child rapist watch's TV shows that are championed by Chanti hmmm.
Did you even read the article? Or do you believe that Detroit isn't in Michigan?

And I HATE TV.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-09 10:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerowone said: »
How about that Kellyanne Conway getting into some ethical hot water this morning?

I don't think her intentions were wrong, but Kellyanne just needs to learn to think before she speaks. Then again, she could just be channeling her boss and it has worked out fairly well for him. At any rate, potential punishments include multi-day suspensions and loss of pay. More like a slap on the wrist than anything.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-09 10:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of them!
Wouldn't you think that anti-business policies over the years would have a negative impact over the local economy to the point of unsustainable livelihood?

Wouldn't you, you know, not support such initiatives so your state can be a competitor in the business market for investments.

Not that I'm complaining. I love having Texas as one of the top importer of all American and foreign jobs among all of the states (from other states).
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

We're living in a country right now where the bad guy won in Billy Madison by shooting everyone present when he was asked the "business ethics" question and then his lawyer got him off on a technicality.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-09 10:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

We're living in a country right now where the bad guy won in Billy Madison by shooting everyone present when he was asked the "business ethics" question and then his lawyer got him off on a technicality.
Is that how you see it?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't you think that anti-business policies over the years would have a negative impact over the local economy to the point of unsustainable livelihood?

Wouldn't you, you know, not support such initiatives so your state can be a competitor in the business market for investments.

What do you want me to support, exactly?

Initiatives that allow the state's land and people to be exploited?

No, *** that. If you're not going to treat workers fairly and preserve our environment, don't come here. I don't give a ***. If people want to work for you for slave wages they can move wherever you decide to go otherwise.
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that how you see it?

The Donald said:
I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters.
By fonewear 2017-02-09 10:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't you have speech to give Stalin !
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-09 10:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think her intentions were wrong, but Kellyanne just needs to learn to think before she speaks. Then again, she could just be channeling her boss and it has worked out fairly well for him. At any rate, potential punishments include multi-day suspensions and loss of pay. More like a slap on the wrist than anything.

Yeah the context matters, it was a daytime talk show and she got a bit too comfortable and said that without thinking. The appropriate response from her is a quick apology stating the above and that she'll be more careful about what she says in public in the future. Nobody really thinks she was deliberately promoting that product.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-09 10:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The last time I spent any time in PA it was for a war.

Connecticut has culture?

/Ikid.jpg
Not really, but its easy enough to get to NYC or Boston so they don't really need it.
By Zerowone 2017-02-09 10:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Don't you have speech to give Stalin !
More like purges to plan.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-09 10:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you want me to support, exactly?

Initiatives that allow the state's land and people to be exploited?

No, *** that. If you're not going to treat workers fairly and preserve our environment, don't come here. I don't give a ***. If people want to work for you for slave wages they can move wherever you decide to go otherwise.

Then you will suffer the consequences. Actions have consequences, this is the ultimate law of the universe.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-09 10:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The entire north east area is a terrible but Boston probably takes the cake. It's like NYC but much much worse !
By Ramyrez 2017-02-09 10:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Then you will suffer the consequences. Actions have consequences, this is the ultimate law of the universe.

Ok?

I mean, I really don't get what you guys are looking for from me.

You want me to come around to the idea that exploiting poor people is a good thing?
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 82 83 84