Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 93 94 95 ... 99 100 101
By Ruaumoko 2016-11-23 02:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Liberals who want the Electoral College abolished clearly did not study history. I thought that liberals enjoyed the social sciences... you mean to tell me you didn't study one of the few actually useful ones?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 02:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Liberals who want the Electoral College abolished clearly did not study history. I thought that liberals enjoyed the social sciences... you mean to tell me you didn't study one of the few actually useful ones?
Who are you responding to?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-23 03:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
The strategy of calling everyone a bigot worked out so well for Dems this election. Keep it up. Trump needs a supermajority in the midterms.
Everyone is a bigot so now no one is. If your takeaway from this election is the normalization of those behaviors then yes go with that.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2016-11-23 03:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Ruaumoko said: »
Who are you responding to?
It was in wider response to the discussion on the Electoral College for the past few pages.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 05:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Guess I'll do a quad like my weed smoking days:

You guys are going to love/roll your eyes at this: Several computer scientist are suggesting the Clinton campaign request a recount based on a pattern in the data.

Quote:
The scientists, among them J. Alex Halderman, the director of the University of Michigan Center for Computer Security and Society, told the Clinton campaign they believe there is a questionable trend of Clinton performing worse in counties that relied on electronic voting machines compared to paper ballots and optical scanners, according to the source.

The group informed John Podesta, Clinton's campaign chairman, and Marc Elias, the campaign's general counsel, that Clinton received 7% fewer votes in counties that relied on electronic voting machines, which the group said could have been hacked.

Their group told Podesta and Elias that while they had not found any evidence of hacking, the pattern needs to be looked at by an independent review.

Based on your bias implications of hack or implications of desperation. Only time will tell.
Halderman has been complaining about e-voting machines for 20 years and demonstrated their security issues multiple times by hacking them himself. Many, many tech advisors and cybersecurity experts have been complaining about e-voting machines for years and trying to get them fixed.

However, the logistics involved and the data released so far doesn't look very compelling to me, but the report has not been sent to Congress yet so the full reasoning and methodology is not out yet.

This is why we should fix the damn machines or not use them anymore so we do not have lingering doubts or questions.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 06:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The EC was also not supposed to be a contest between two political parties, binomial choice was not the intention.
ACtually, if you think about it, it is.

I mean, how often do you think a 3 party system will have somebody receive 50% +1 EC votes all the time, like our current 2 party system? How often do you think a 4 party system...5 party system....so on-so forth.

Remember, if nobody receives 50% +1 EC votes, the election is decided by the House. Do you really want the House to decide who is the president all the time?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 06:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The EC was also not supposed to be a contest between two political parties, binomial choice was not the intention.

I mean, how often do you think a 3 party system will have somebody receive 50% +1 EC votes all the time, like our current 2 party system? How often do you think a 4 party system...5 party system....so on-so forth.

Remember, if nobody receives 50% +1 EC votes, the election is decided by the House. Do you really want the House to decide who is the president all the time?
If we are going back to the original plan, it was written for the House to decide based on the three highest votes.

That is why it was changed, because they ran into problems with the two party system and how people voted. Then the house had voting issues.

But the EC was not set-up based on a political party system. Parties started forming when Washington was in office, but this is after the EC was created.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 06:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If we are going back to the original plan, it was written for the House to decide based on the three highest votes.

That is why it was changed, because they ran into problems with the two party system and how people voted. Then the house had voting issues.

But the EC was not set-up based on a political party system. Parties started forming when Washington was in office, but this is after the EC was created.
Then you will have to admit that the 2 party system was created because of the EC.

Again, nobody wants the House to dictate who's president. If they did, they would be doing it right now.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 06:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Then you will have to admit that the 2 party system was created because of the EC.

Again, nobody wants the House to dictate who's president. If they did, they would be doing it right now.
I'd rather have the winner be president and the runner up be vice-president, like I stated in my previous post. Remember in the original system multiple people within the same party ran for president. Rather than a single ticket with President and Vice President.

If that means the winners are decided via the House, then so be it.

The two party system is incredibly divisive and our country is constantly going through (as Rooks stated earlier) "Not my president for the last (insert your own number here) years".
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-23 07:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you are hoping to impeach Trump, but man, you got to understand that you cannot impeach a president because of what shoes he is wearing today!

Well if we could get some senators with a sense of style we could!

Make America fashionable again!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 08:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You do realize that it would mean the current House, not the incoming House, right?

In other words, if the democrats/liberals won a majority of House seats this year, it doesn't matter cause the Republicans still hold it.

That would make presidential election years irrelevant and the years where no presidential elections more important than the presidential elections.

Then again, by your method, why bother holding an election in the first place? It seems like you rather have a ruling class of people dictate how this country is run instead of having people having a voice in the matter.

Sorry, but the coastal cities should not dictate how this country is run. It's already proven that they have no grasp of reality, how can we expect them to run a country except by their own benefits and feels?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-23 08:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather have the winner be president and the runner up be vice-president, like I stated in my previous post. Remember in the original system multiple people within the same party ran for president. Rather than a single ticket with President and Vice President.

The two party system is incredibly divisive and our country is constantly going through (as Rooks stated earlier) "Not my president for the last (insert your own number here) years".
YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2016-11-23 08:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When you are done with the history of the electoral college can you do the history of the Constitution !
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 08:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You do realize that it would mean the current House, not the incoming House, right?

In other words, if the democrats/liberals won a majority of House seats this year, it doesn't matter cause the Republicans still hold it.

That would make presidential election years irrelevant and the years where no presidential elections more important than the presidential elections.

Then again, by your method, why bother holding an election in the first place? It seems like you rather have a ruling class of people dictate how this country is run instead of having people having a voice in the matter.

Sorry, but the coastal cities should not dictate how this country is run. It's already proven that they have no grasp of reality, how can we expect them to run a country except by their own benefits and feels?

Most of what you just went on a tirade about makes no sense.

It would make all elections relevent not just presidential election years. Which is when the majority of voters turn out currently.

It would also allow for more canidates to be involved with varying viewpoints, rather than the lesser of 2 evils.

This is the original setup. I didn't come up with this method to force "a ruling class" on you

As to your last sentence, I have no freaking clue where you got that from.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-23 08:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Josiahkf said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The majority really is getting tired of being the whipping post.
we've been over this; the majority didn't vote for him.

They haven't finished tallying California's votes. As it stands more votes from the the state of California than 33 states combined.

Something people to need to consider before making fun of the strongest economy in the union and 6th strongest globally saying "wtf" at the rest of the nation.
We aren't the US of California. Cali is crumbling under its own weight. I fully support its secession.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-23 08:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Who gives a ***about California they would vote Democrat for the next 200 years anyways.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-23 08:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Who gives a ***about California they would vote Democrat for the next 200 years anyways.
Only if you count all he illegal votes.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-23 08:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

They got some nice beaches too bad the people there ruin it !
By Ramyrez 2016-11-23 08:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They got some nice beaches too bad the people there ruin it !

Pretty sure you just described Earth.
By eliroo 2016-11-23 08:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with a lot of what Kara is saying, and it honestly makes perfect sense. If we change the ballot system to a "ranking system" similar to what Maine just started doing for their general elections we will see some great results come from this.

That would go a long way to ridding us of the two party only system. I think Party primaries shouldn't be a thing and call candidates should run in the general election. I also think press shouldn't report results until it is final, similar to what the AP did to sanders before the final day of the primaries.

Furthermore though, as this election showed, people across the country have different values and different cultures. We need to address that a little better with our voting system, I don't think popular vote should determine the president but rather a weight vote for each state with less populated rural states having a higher weight on their vote within some means.

The problem with the popular vote argument is that people forget we are a nation spread across a vast land that involves many cultures all with different needs and if we continually fail to address the cultures that have less population by product of their businesses then we will continue to disparage them and harm America.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 08:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

For eliroo on the topic yesterday about minimum wage.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 08:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It would make all elections relevent not just presidential election years. Which is when the majority of voters turn out currently.

It would also allow for more candidates to be involved with varying viewpoints, rather than the lesser of 2 evils.
Except it will be harder to elect via Electoral College if you have a multi-party system.

Are you ignoring the fact that it is required to have 50% +1 EC votes to become president, or are you just being obtuse?

Political parties and our 2 party system may not have been intended when the EC was created, but the system was created because of the EC. You of all people, assuming you are an economist as you profess, should know about reactionary systems caused because of an event that took place.

This is the original setup. I didn't come up with this method to force "a ruling class" on you
Problem is, you are dictating a ruling class if you force a multiple-party system using the Electoral College.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-23 08:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
I also think press shouldn't report results until it is final
/agree

Quote:
Furthermore though, as this election showed, people across the country have different values and different cultures. We need to address that a little better with our voting system, I don't think popular vote should determine the president but rather a weight vote for each state with less populated rural states having a higher weight on their vote within some means.

The problem with the popular vote argument is that people forget we are a nation spread across a vast land that involves many cultures all with different needs and if we continually fail to address the cultures that have less population by product of their businesses then we will continue to disparage them and harm America.
/agree

Go back to the point where EC votes were split rather than "winner takes all"

Many people, for example in CA or TX, don't vote and feel disenfranchised because their vote counts less than swing states as their state is "blue" or "red" and it doesn't matter.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 08:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Many people, for example in CA or TX, don't vote and feel disenfranchised because their vote counts less than swing states as their state is "blue" or "red" and it doesn't matter.
Maybe if you are a Republican in California or a liberal/democrat in Texas. Doesn't stop them from voting though, as evidenced by the many red counties in California and the blue islands in Texas.

Maybe if people understand that there's more than 1 person running for office at one time though.....oh wai...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-23 08:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Should distribute points based on percentage like in some primaries. Would change hierarchies in which states pull weight a bit more, but it would be more equal.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 09:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, if people want to distribute EC votes based by region and/or Representative maps, it will only benefit Republicans more and make the coastal cities voices less heard.

Again, going against the will of the EC. Just like there shouldn't be a popular vote to determine who becomes president, there shouldn't be a method to make one group of people's voice less relevant because of where they live.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-23 09:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

In absolute desperate Clinton news:

Activists urge Clinton to challenge election results

Quote:
Hillary Clinton is being urged by a group of prominent computer scientists and election lawyers to call for a recount in three swing states won by Donald Trump, New York has learned. The group, which includes voting-rights attorney John Bonifaz and J. Alex Halderman, the director of the University of Michigan Center for Computer Security and Society, believes they’ve found persuasive evidence that results in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania may have been manipulated or hacked. The group is so far not speaking on the record about their findings and is focused on lobbying the Clinton team in private.

Last Thursday, the activists held a conference call with Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta and campaign general counsel Marc Elias to make their case, according to a source briefed on the call. The academics presented findings showing that in Wisconsin, Clinton received 7 percent fewer votes in counties that relied on electronic-voting machines compared with counties that used optical scanners and paper ballots. Based on this statistical analysis, Clinton may have been denied as many as 30,000 votes; she lost Wisconsin by 27,000. While it’s important to note the group has not found proof of hacking or manipulation, they are arguing to the campaign that the suspicious pattern merits an independent review — especially in light of the fact that the Obama White House has accused the Russian government of hacking the Democratic National Committee.

According to current tallies, Trump has won 290 Electoral College votes to Clinton’s 232, with Michigan’s 16 votes not apportioned because the race there is still too close to call. It would take overturning the results in both Wisconsin (10 Electoral College votes) and Pennsylvania (20 votes), in addition to winning Michigan’s 16, for Clinton to win the Electoral College. There is also the complicating factor of “faithless electors,” or members of the Electoral College who do not vote according to the popular vote in their states. At least six electoral voters have said they would not vote for Trump, despite the fact that he won their states.

The Clinton camp is running out of time to challenge the election. According to one of the activists, the deadline in Wisconsin to file for a recount is Friday; in Pennsylvania, it’s Monday; and Michigan is next Wednesday. Whether Clinton will call for a recount remains unclear. The academics so far have only a circumstantial case that would require not just a recount but a forensic audit of voting machines. Also complicating matters, a senior Clinton adviser said, is that the White House, focused on a smooth transfer of power, does not want Clinton to challenge the election result. Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri did not respond to a request for comment. But some Clinton allies are intent on pushing the issue. This afternoon, Huma Abedin’s sister Heba encouraged her Facebook followers to lobby the Justice Department to audit the 2016 vote. “Call the DOJ…and tell them you want the votes audited,” she wrote. “Even if it’s busy, keep calling.”

So basically, they found nothing conclusive, just theories that maybe something may have possibly have happened that they claimed would never had happened prior to the election, which is voting machines being hacked.

But, in their minds, that's the only way Trump would have won......
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-23 09:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For eliroo on the topic yesterday about minimum wage.

Just finished the minimum wage argument of this article, it was very short and clearly represented something I have spoken about before. You even linked a post of yours and right below was mine addressing this issue. So it is clearly something I have considered. But this article fails to mention a lot of things that an increase in minimum wage would do.

- People working multiple jobs will only need to work one job
- Less fortunate families will have more surplus money and therefore spend it on other foods and services. Stimulating the economy

Both of these things should be considered when discussing the minimum wage hike, both of those facts would do well to counter the argument that unemployment would go up.

Seattle is probably going to be our best bet on how we can measure this. If you search if you will notice a lot of "Fluff" articles that just talk about speculation and feeds off of the employers fears.

But I will try sift through those find some factual information:

Here is one article that involves a survey a year after the minimum wage mandate was slated to begin : http://www.washington.edu/news/2016/04/18/early-analysis-of-seattles-15-wage-law-effect-on-prices-minimal-one-year-after-implementation/

Note mostly the chart they posted from a Survey that involved 567 employers in the Seattle region. As you can see there is very little effect on job availability, removing benefits, or other negative effects that a lot of people have told us about.

Here is another article: http://www.washington.edu/news/2016/07/25/minimum-wage-study-effects-of-seattle-wage-hike-modest-may-be-overshadowed-by-strong-economy/

Further more the economic burden shouldn't be a reason against increasing the minimum wage. There is no reason an adult above the age of 20 or so can not be paid a living wage. So we need to make some changes and maybe we need to make a lot of changes. Lowering the living wage may also be a suitable.

The fact is the Republicans platform doesn't address this at all. Not only are they against wage increases but they want to lower taxes on the rich and middle class, they want to do away with social security and medicare and they want to significantly under budget welfare. All of those significantly hurt poorer families.

Increasing minimum wage would increase income tax and allow programs like Social Security and Welfare to increase their focus on more impoverished people.

Furthering the argument about how it will effect the "bottomline" most big time employers have huge profit margins and are overpaying their top executives 1000 fold, they can easily afford to increase minimum wage and not require layoffs or price hikes. Most small business owners do not pay their employees minimum wage either so the effect on them will be relatively small.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-11-23 09:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Should distribute points based on percentage like in some primaries. Would change hierarchies in which states pull weight a bit more, but it would be more equal.

Wouldn't be Constitutional and thus wouldn't be in the USA.

Again the State elects the President not the voter. In fact for a very long time the Presidential candidates weren't on the voting ticket at all, instead the voters would chose individuals to be part of the Electoral College. The people who get the most votes would then take up the office of Elector and then chose the Presidential Candidate that they felt represented their best interests.

The US Constitution grants individual States the right to determine how it's own voting system works. They can vote however they want, don't even have to listen to the people, though that's seen as bad form and discriminatory. Eventually a State (can't remember which) determined it would have a stronger voice if it forced it's Elector's to vote as a single block rather then split the vote up, and thus we got our "Winner Take All" system.

Again there is no popular vote for the Office of President, it's neither legal nor Constitutional for there to be one.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-23 09:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say base it on popular vote either.
First Page 2 3 ... 93 94 95 ... 99 100 101