Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 99 100 101
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 11:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
That is true but how do you know Beethoven wouldn't like a Toyota Camry !

Yeah, but...like...I can't remember what the hell car it even was, but I remember Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem being used for some car commercial sometime a while back.

And all I can think is,

"The trumpet shall sound;
The dead shall rise;
The...holy ***. Are those heated seats with a lumbar support?"
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-02 11:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
2017 scares me a lot...with the various elections around the world and other situations, if the world doesn't end by 2018 then I think humanity is safe for eternity.
Having lived through the cold war and the Cuban missile crisis I think we are fairly safe until the sea swallows all.

Perhaps even longer.

You could always knit a sweater to keep warm !
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-02 11:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
2017 scares me a lot...with the various elections around the world and other situations, if the world doesn't end by 2018 then I think humanity is safe for eternity.
Having lived through the cold war and the Cuban missile crisis I think we are fairly safe until the sea swallows all.

Perhaps even longer.

You could always knit a sweater to keep warm !

Perhaps an Afghan.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-02 11:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
That is true but how do you know Beethoven wouldn't like a Toyota Camry !

Yeah, but...like...I can't remember what the hell car it even was, but I remember Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem being used for some car commercial sometime a while back.

And all I can think is,

"The trumpet shall sound;
The dead shall rise;
The...holy ***. Are those heated seats with a lumbar support?"

You had me at lumbar support !
By fonewear 2016-11-02 11:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I have heated seats (in my car) and in the winter it is pretty divine actually.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-02 11:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Butt Warmers are the best. ButtWarmers2016. Make Frozen Butts Warm Again!
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-02 12:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

From an objective perspective, I'll be interested to see what way Pennsylvania goes.

There is so much visible Trump support in my area.

But that's deceptive. Because Trump signs in front of individual homes account for, what? 2-3 votes per house, tops? And Trump billboards represent paid advertisements which could come down to one moneyed individual trying to sway opinion.

Whereas a single multi-story low-income-housing building in Philly can balances out or even outweigh huge neighborhoods of Trump supporters in rural areas.

Trying to set aside the very real problems with both candidates, it is a fascinating time in America and we're looking at a very real, very deep disconnect/divide between rural areas and cities.

Practically speaking, however, my interest turns to concern when we note that I'm both literally and ideologically caught smack dab in the middle of this shitfest.

In Houston I see almost no Pro-Trump or Pro-Hillary stuff at all.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 12:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

As do I and they are, in fact, rather sublime in the winter.

That said, I'm still not sold on using some of the greatest compositions of all time to bump Cadillac's (or whoever's) sales.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 12:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
In Houston I see almost no Pro-Trump or Pro-Hillary stuff at all.

I have four neighboring houses; one to my left, one to my right, and two directly across the street.

Three of the four have Trump signs. The other is vacant.
By fonewear 2016-11-02 12:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2016-11-02 12:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump/Steven Austin 2020 make it happen !
By fonewear 2016-11-02 12:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Hillary/Randy Savage 2020 ?:

By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 12:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Hillary/Randy Savage 2020 ?:

Trump/Steven Austin

Austin/Savage 2020?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-02 12:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That said, I'm still not sold on using some of the greatest compositions of all time to bump Cadillac's (or whoever's) sales.

Hey now, I'm not sure if Eminem qualifies as some of the greatest compositions of all time.
By fonewear 2016-11-02 12:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Hey now, I'm not sure if Eminem qualifies as some of the greatest compositions of all time.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 12:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno. I think his mad rhymes per minute rating exceeds even the highest standard of "ill."
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-02 12:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In an industry full of phoneys and people who have no lyrical sense he is pretty much a legend.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-02 12:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno. I think his mad rhymes per minute rating exceeds even the highest standard of "ill."

That's because he was:

Disclaimer: Album title reference.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-02 12:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

In an industry full of phoneys and people who have no lyrical sense he is pretty much a legend.

Legend you say:

Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-02 12:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fake story about Obamas, Hillary Clinton ensnares Sean Hannity (And he even apoligized later, but not on the air.)
CNNmoney (It caught a few posters here as well.)

Quote:
Radio host Sean Hannity on Tuesday embraced a piece of facts I don't like about President Obama deleting endorsements of Hillary Clinton from his Twitter account.

Hannity used the made-up news to claim that President Obama's legacy might be "jail."

The deleted-tweets claim could have been disproven by a quick Twitter search.

Later in the day, Hannity tweeted a correction and apologized.

The progression of events illustrates how facts I don't like stories expand and spread from fringe web sites to nationally syndicated radio shows with millions of listeners. In this case, the facts I don't like originated on a dubious site called "Your News Wire," which publishes a mix of true, slanted and made-up news. Then, like a game of telephone, by the time the story got to Hannity, even the fake facts were wrong.

The site wrongly claimed that "Michelle Obama has scrubbed all references to Hillary Clinton from both of her Twitter accounts" and implied that it was the result of FBI investigations into Clinton.

A thicket of far-right-wing web sites picked up the story and ran with it. Red State Watcher said the news was "breaking!" and News Ninja 2012 said it was "suspicious." "The rats are jumping ship," The Gateway Pundit wrote.

Pro-Trump social media users tweeted about it, further amplifying the falsehood. And a contributor to a relatively credible web site, ForexLive.com, posted an item asking "Is the First Lady distancing the Obamas from the Clintons?"

Then new characters were added to the fake storyline. "Elizabeth Warren just unfollowed Hillary, and Michelle Obama deleted all her tweets about Hillary," Jack Posobiec, who calls himself a "recovering political operative," tweeted at 2 p.m. Tuesday. He kept going, adding President Obama's name to the list, without any evidence to back it up.

President Obama's @POTUS timeline includes recent tweets like "Couldn't be more proud of @HillaryClinton."

By 4 p.m., the made-up claims were on "The Sean Hannity Show."

First Hannity brought up the Gateway Pundit blog post -- which was predicated on a hoax -- and asked if it was true: "It says that Michelle Obama had deleted Hillary tweets from her timeline. Did you ever check that out?" The question is apparently directed at his producer.

Later in the hour, Hannity brought it up again. He was talking about revelations from the Wikileaks trove of stolen Clinton campaign emails when he began to read information about Warren and Obama, then said "What?"

A female voice chimed in to report: "Barack Obama and Elizabeth Warren have both unfollowed Hillary Clinton, as well as scrubbing their timeline of tweets about her."

"Wow," Hannity said, and paused. "That means they know it's huge. You know why? Because Obama's implicated! He's implicated here, and he's pissed. You know what his legacy might be? Jail."

Some of Hannity's listeners believed him -- they shared the facts I don't like via Twitter and Facebook. "wow this is getting good!" one Hannity fan tweeted.

Hannity did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the error.

But he tweeted after his show, "Correction. Live on radio I read a gateway pundit report that @MichelleObama had deleted mentions of HRC. And a listener said BHO and. Elizabeth Warren did same. Fact is they didn't. I humbly apologize. Live radio."

Then he emailed CNNMoney this explanation: "I received an e-mail LIVE ON THE AIR that linked a Gateway Pundit article. I questioned the accuracy of it on the air. I asked my producer on the air if it was true. She said it was. I also received a listener IM saying that they saw the same. Then THE listener mentioned that there was a report about the other 2."

Hannity continued: "Bottom line it was brought up in an insignificant way, I was dealing with more important issues like HRC crimes and lies and how CNN has been colluding with the Clinton campaign and CHEATING Bernie Sanders."
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-02 12:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did go to Obama's twitter and scrolled down a bit but there was nothing about Clinton, but I didn't wanna check so far back so I just left that to someone else to do lol.
By eliroo 2016-11-02 12:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently the unfollow was true? I don't blame Hannity for his overreaction and he did apologize for using the facts I don't like. If I was given the same news on my talk show I would immediately start discussing the implications. Not a huge fan of Hannity but I don't think he should be held accountable for doing his job.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-02 13:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently the unfollow was true? I don't blame Hannity for his overreaction and he did apologize for using the facts I don't like. If I was given the same news on my talk show I would immediately start discussing the implications. Not a huge fan of Hannity but I don't think he should be held accountable for doing his job.
What was his job here exactly?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 13:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Roadtesting this:

[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-02 13:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Entertainment, haven't you seen his shown?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-02 14:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Roadtesting this:

So, basically like every other media outlet?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 14:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember, the media only shows what people want to see. They by and large cannot afford to do otherwise.
By eliroo 2016-11-02 14:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Or in CNN's case, what they want people to see.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-02 14:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember, the media only shows what people want to see. They by and large cannot afford to do otherwise.
Then why is Samantha Bee still on?

I would have figured that she would have been canceled by now. She isn't funny, nor is she that entertaining.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-02 14:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, like it or not, this is the choice of the people. Jersey Shore. Celebrity Apprentice. American Idol. Samatha Bee (whoever she is). 8,000 news networks reporting what they think people want to see and hear.

I don't like a single thing I just listed (except Samantha Bee who, as stated, I have no idea who she is). But I readily acknowledge that they're either 1) what the majority of people want or 2) what people paid a lot of money to figure out what people want think that the majority of people want.

Given a century+ of practice as we've gone from print to radio to cable news and entertainment, let's go ahead and give the people cited in item 2 at least an 80% chance of being right.

We as individuals may not like a lot of this stuff, but despite any and all differences we here have, we're (ostensibly) all FF players/fans, so clearly our entertainment choices are a little different from the vast majority of the public at large.

But as a whole, this is what America wants.

These are the candidates we've chosen. One way or another.

Or, to quote the would-be-sainted-if-he-believed-in-such-things George Carlin:

"Garbage in, garbage out; this is the best we can do, folks."
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 99 100 101