Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 76 77 78 ... 99 100 101
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-19 16:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheauper than a wall perhaps.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-19 16:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Preliminary reading on the alt right -- which I admit I've done little true research of -- paints them in a not awful light. In their own words, at least.

While I still disagree pretty seriously with the sentiments I'm seeing expressed -- I think they're old-fashioned and impractical in today's word, however great they may be as an ideal, and they are exceedingly condescending in their self expression -- I am willing to concede that not all alt right believers should be dismissed out of hand as some of them appear to merely be idealists of a different stripe and not necessarily racists/etc.

There is a bit of xenophobia inherent in their beliefs, but that's true among a lot of people and places on all sides of the political spectrum.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-19 17:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Days of heavy airstrikes have left Syria's rebel-held eastern Aleppo without a single hospital operating at full capacity says the Syrian American Medical Society.
The sobering news, following a week of intense airstrikes, came the same day that more than 60 civilians were killed in eastern Aleppo, according to a volunteer search and rescue organization.

A number of major trauma hospitals were knocked out of service during recent attacks, according to the medical society.
However, activists working in the city said up to five other hospitals in eastern neighborhoods are still functioning.
"For the first time, eastern Aleppo is out of hospitals operating at full capacity," said Dr. Mazen Kewara, director of the medical society's Turkey office. "There are remaining medical facilities, but they are not operating at full capacity."
One of those hit was a children's hospital, forcing staff to evacuate babies to safety.

Hospitals are desperately needed as an estimated 250,000 people remain trapped while the Syrian regime bombards the city's rebel-held east, which faces dwindling reserves of food, fuel and medical supplies.
On Saturday, at least 61 civilians were killed by the bombardment of eastern Aleppo, according to the Syrian Civil Defense, a volunteer group also known as the White Helmets. The barrage included 250 airstrikes and more than 2,000 artillery rounds.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-19 17:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-19 17:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Preliminary reading on the alt right -- which I admit I've done little true research of -- paints them in a not awful light. In their own words, at least.

While I still disagree pretty seriously with the sentiments I'm seeing expressed -- I think they're old-fashioned and impractical in today's word, however great they may be as an ideal, and they are exceedingly condescending in their self expression -- I am willing to concede that not all alt right believers should be dismissed out of hand as some of them appear to merely be idealists of a different stripe and not necessarily racists/etc.

There is a bit of xenophobia inherent in their beliefs, but that's true among a lot of people and places on all sides of the political spectrum.

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but you're doing it wrong. It's really, really simple. You just have to follow the three-step program for handling people whose views differ from yours.

1. Demonize
2. Deride
3. Dismiss

Just remember: Triple-D. Now try your post again.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-19 17:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, one thing I can very much identify with in their belief is a strong desire -- juvenile as it may be -- to just stomp all over something people want to hold up as sacred. It's why flag burning works so well as a way to get attention and piss off a certain group of people.

The risk, of course, is that you walk a very fine line of attracting actual bad people when you do that though, and I think that may be a significant problem that the alt right has. Yeah, you've got some people with their heads screwed on fairly straight who want to piss off the establishment in their own way and claim an identity that they see as rightfully theirs but that's been left behind for it's detriments without consideration for its benefits.

But it's also got them bringing along some serious dickbags for the ride.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-19 17:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but you're doing it wrong. It's really, really simple. You just have to follow the three-step program for handling people whose views differ from yours.

1. Demonize
2. Deride
3. Dismiss

Just remember: Triple-D. Now try your post again.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-19 17:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Drac, I want to be clear, I don't think your posts aren't important or worthy of attention, I just have very little to say in the face of actual tragedy.

If I can't glean dark humor or at least a little derision for the opposition out of it my brain goes into "well ***, that's really shitty and you can't do a thing about it, ***" silent mode.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-19 17:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Drac, I want to be clear, I don't think your posts aren't important or worthy of attention, I just have very little to say in the face of actual tragedy.

If I can't glean dark humor or at least a little derision for the opposition out of it my brain goes into "well ***, that's really shitty and you can't do a thing about it, ***" silent mode.

I just think it's important to post about something else than US politics all the time, no need to comment on it really
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-19 17:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Far, far too many people took Trump's words literally as promises they wanted to see kept and are likely to be sorely disappointed when he doesn't built a literal brick wall spanning the entire length of the border, and when he doesn't just start bombing the living ***out of every country that disagrees with us.

Or when those $20+/hr jobs down at the plant that only require a HS diploma and a strong work ethic aren't coming back.

But hey you know it's like talking to a wall that wants to insult your intelligence. His supporters take his promises literally and voted for him then they turn around and tell his detractors it was all metaphors and allegorical, don't worry.

Blind to the irony like confederate flag waving Trumpeteers telling protesters to "get over it your side lost."
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-19 17:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I just think it's important to post about something else than US politics all the time, no need to comment on it really
By now I know more about american politics than I do about italian.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-19 18:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The idea that we weren't supposed to take his words literally is god damn motherfucking insane.

We obvously weren't around when they were passing out the peyote buttons... and a couple of someones ate our share.

Bogarting sonsof ***
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-19 18:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea that we weren't supposed to take his words literally is god damn motherfucking insane.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-11-19 21:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For those wondering why the US has the Electoral College system.

Blue spots are where the majority of US citizens live, grey spots are everyone else. There are several stats in the Union that don't have sufficient population density to even have a voice in the executive election.

The EC exists for the exact same reason the Senate does, so that less populous states still have a voice in their federal government. The USA isn't a single monolithic nation, it's a Union of fifty smaller nations in a Republic. Each state has the same voice in the Senate while the larger stats have a larger voice in the House with the Presidency, and thus the Judiciary, splitting the difference. For the Electoral College, each state has a number of votes equal to it's congressional representation. California has 53 Representatives and 2 Senators and thus has 55 electoral votes. Wisconsin has 1 Representative and 2 Senators and thus has 3 electoral votes, while Washington DC has neither Senators nor Representatives but is allowed to have the votes of the least populous state.

Furthermore the "popular vote" means nothing because there is no official of such a thing on a national level and instead each News channel keeps it's own numbers, which is why you get slightly different figures depending on who you ask. Because we have this EC system the candidates don't (or shouldn't) focus campaign strategy on getting the most total votes and instead focus on locking in states where they can have the most effect. In California it doesn't matter if Hillary won by 1 vote of 1,000,000 votes, its the same 55 EV's being awarded. Same with Texas, New York, Florida and so forth. The only semi-exceptions are Maine and Nevada which have split voting, which IMHO is a much fairer way to go about this.
[+]
By Viciouss 2016-11-19 21:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

So you are talking to nobody, ok. Long post that nobody needs to read.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-19 21:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, it'd be pretty relevant for about a dozen of my idiot friends on Facebook.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-19 22:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Next up: how sausage is made
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-19 22:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Eh, it'd be pretty relevant for about a dozen of my idiot friends on Facebook.

Maybe you could convince them to start a FFXI addiction then direct them to the land of pontification known as FFXIAH RP&R.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Yatenkou 2016-11-19 22:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »

So you are talking to nobody, ok. Long post that nobody needs to read.
And yet we have people screaming the system needs to change.

The EC was created to prevent a mob mentality, which is what we would have gotten if we'd ran the election only by PV.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-19 22:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Savel, everything you said is correct.

The electoral college still violates the one person one vote bit.

But yes, it was intended to.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-19 22:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Steve Bannon: 'Darkness is good'

Quote:
Washington (CNN)Steve Bannon has no regrets.
The ex-Breitbart executive, who serves as Trump's chief strategist for the new administration, told The Hollywood Reporter that "darkness is good."
"*** Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they (liberals) get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing," he said in an interview published Friday, his first outside of Breitbart since the election.
Briebart News, which Bannon has been associated with since its start in 2007, has been vehemently pro-Trump throughout his presidential campaign, and is also known for pushing nationalist policy positions, as well as conspiracy theories, and has been criticized as being racist, sexist and anti-Semitic.
The interview largely didn't address Bannon's previous controversies, though he denied being a "white nationalist."
RELATED: Donald Trump settles Trump University lawsuits
"I'm a nationalist. I'm an economic nationalist," he said in the interview. "The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia. The issue now is about Americans looking to not get f---ed over. If (the Trump White House delivers), we'll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we'll govern for 50 years. That's what the Democrats missed. They were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It's not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about."
RELATED: What is Donald Trump's staff doing in Washington?
Bannon also said he wanted to scrap the establishment Republican Party and start anew with Trump's movement.
"Like (Andrew) Jackson's populism, we're going to build an entirely new political movement," he said. "It's everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I'm the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it's the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Shipyards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We're just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution -- conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement."
He also said he was a strong follower of Trump's leadership, adding that the way h "He gets it; he gets it intuitively," Bannon said about Trump. "You have probably the greatest orator since William Jennings Bryan, coupled with an economic populist message and two political parties that are so owned by the donors that they don't speak to their audience."
He said he always knew that former Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton would lose the election.
"I knew that she couldn't close," he said. "They outspent us 10 to one, had 10 times more people and had all the media with them, but I kept saying it doesn't matter, they got it all wrong, we've got this locked." speaks helped his message and to get him elected.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-19 22:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »

The video really hits it out the park with respect to going "wtf" @ Trumps reaction tweet.
[+]
By Viciouss 2016-11-19 22:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I don't see any harassment, certainly nothing to apologize for. Just more whining from Trump.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-19 22:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, Trump may have overstated it a bit, but it does appear to be a jab at Pence. Like, "We don't trust you, so we're going to make a show out of a statement that is nice at face value but is really a veiled insult because we think you're a bigot." In their minds, it's like introducing yourself to someone on the sex offender list who just moved onto your block and saying, "We're so glad to have you in the neighborhood. We just want to tell you what a safe neighborhood this is, and how we're happy to be in a place where our kids can play outside with no worries."
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-19 23:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering he's been part of legislation specifically designed to discriminate against the lgbt community, it's not an assumption knowing how he feels so nothing they said was out of line.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-20 00:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering he's been part of legislation specifically designed to discriminate against the lgbt community, it's not an assumption knowing how he feels so nothing they said was out of line.

Since my point was that it was indeed them taking a shot at them... you're agreeing with me?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-20 00:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

a shot at him*

#thxrooks

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 76 77 78 ... 99 100 101