Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 71 72 73 ... 99 100 101
By eliroo 2016-11-18 08:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
eliroo said: »
Fake and uncredited news should be censored, but not opinionated pieces.
No, they shouldn't be.

Who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

Journalists should do research (do their jobs) and consumers should also do research (due diligence).

Lack or credit or sources?

Do you really think society can function in an uncensored world? You severely underestimate the power and cruelty of man.
By fonewear 2016-11-18 08:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they shouldn't be.

Who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

Journalists should do research (do their jobs) and consumers should also do research (due diligence).

Lack or credit or sources?

Do you really think society can function in an uncensored world? You severely underestimate the power and cruelty of man.

Reported for sexist comment !
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 08:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I don't think I asked you two since you weren't here
Nausi and Saevel
Do you think same sex marriage should be legal?

Personally I fully reject the push to equate it to a marriage between a man and a woman. That's like calling a Muslim ban racist (improper use of language, muslims aren't a race) a marriage is sex specific. That's just what it is. When two men or women partner up it's different that if a man and woman do. There's no reason To pretend that difference doesn't exist because it upsets the thought police.

Fully against he perversion of constitutional law that made it so via judicial activism.

Have no issues with letting states decide for themselves what rights to afford any same sex union. They are the places to make those decisions. However they do it, people have a right to refuse service to anyone for anything.

Let the butthurt commence.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-18 08:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I was wrong. Never mind then.
By fonewear 2016-11-18 08:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I don't think I asked you two since you weren't here
Nausi and Saevel
Do you think same sex marriage should be legal?

Personally I fully reject the push to equate it to a marriage between a man and a woman. That's like calling a Muslim ban racist (improper use of language, muslims aren't a race) a marriage is sex specific. That's just what it is. When two men or women partner up it's different that if a man and woman do. There's no reason To pretend that difference doesn't exist because it upsets the thought police.

Fully against he perversion of constitutional law that made it so via judicial activism.

Have no issues with letting states decide for themselves what rights to afford any same sex union. They are the places to make those decisions. However they do it, people have a right to refuse service to anyone for anything.

Let the butthurt commence.

I"m reporting this to the ALCU for hate speech !
By fonewear 2016-11-18 08:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fully on board with censoring other people just don't censor me. Said every liberal ever !
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2016-11-18 09:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Oh, and inb4 "Muslims isn't a race", consider the following: Most, not all, but a good chunk of them, are of Middle-Eastern descent, hence the shoe fits.

No it doesn't, you can't just warp a definition to fit your means. That statement would be offensive to Muslims.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-18 09:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Semantics doesn't excuse bigotry.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 09:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
So, Twitter was at it again Tuesday and blanket-banned a load of "white nationalist" accounts tied to the KKK and Neo-Nazis. Now the bigots are butthurt again.

You would be too.

And it's not going to help anything in the long run to silence people, even if their views are backward and frankly repulsive to anyone with a shred of common human decency.

But you can't reason with anyone whilst simultaneously cutting off their ability to express themselves. To do so will simply cause them to insulate within their own groups, bounce things around in the echo chamber for a while, make themselves more convinced they're right, and then double down on their own 'ideals.'

See also: the younger individuals on the left with their safe spaces and trigger warnings.
Twitter is a private company, in much the same way ESPN/Disney is a private company. ESPN/Disney fired Curt Schilling earlier this year for a long-winded, racist rant against Muslims on Twitter. Twitter has also, since, locked Schilling out of his account.
It'd be much different if Twitter were government owned and operated, as then the government wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

The "private company can allow what it wants" isn't the point. Yes, they can and that's their right.

What I'm saying is that by doing so they're helping engender an environment that insulates and validates these beliefs and behaviors among the people who already subscribe to them, and that isn't the way to make anyone see the error of their ways.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 09:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I guess I was wrong. Never mind then.

Quoting this out of context forever and ever.

Broad spectrum political coverage over the past decade gave me the idea.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 09:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm fully on board with censoring other people just don't censor me. Said every liberal ever !

Oh come now. Conservatives do this too.

Liberals just do it louder because when it came to picking teams we had last pick and everyone left the loudmouth kid nobody likes for last.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-18 09:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

To dream the impossible dream.

But I admit it is a beautiful dream.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 09:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
To dream the impossible dream.

But I admit it is a beautiful dream.
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 09:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

*** HELL CHANTI.

Now I have to have a Show Tunes Friday and it's all_your_fault.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-18 09:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Semantics doesn't excuse bigotry.

Apparently being a bigot excuses bigotry though.

Also, researching it - Shilling was fired over his trans-gender comments. The only anti-muslim report I found was him comparing Muslim Extremists to Nazi's. I don't think his comment would have be defined as "bigoted" but rather far-reaching and stupid. His trans-gender comments are bigoted though.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-18 09:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and inb4 "Muslims isn't a race", consider the following: Most, not all, but a good chunk of them, are of Middle-Eastern descent, hence the shoe fits.
Not even most.

Quote:
World Total 1,703,146,000[6] 23.4 100.0
South Asia 507,000,000[104] 31.0 32.0
Middle East-North Africa 321,869,000 91.2 19.9
Southeast-East Asia 257,000,000[105][106] 13.0 15.0
Sub-Saharan Africa 242,544,000 29.6 15.0
Indonesia Indonesia 204,847,000 87.2[59] 12.7
Pakistan Pakistan 178,000,000 96.4 11.0
India India 172,000,000 14.2 10.9
Bangladesh Bangladesh 145,607,000 86.3[32] 9.2
Nigeria Nigeria 93,839,000 41[76]-50[77] 4.7
Iran Iran 74,819,000 99.7 4.6
Turkey Turkey 74,660,000 98.6 4.6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 09:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is bigotry against a majority ok?

Just asking.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-18 09:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

P. S.

Of the Middle Eastern Muslims, Arabs are Semites. Turks are... Turkish I guess, and many of the rest are Persians.
By eliroo 2016-11-18 09:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Just asking.

Bigotry is a tricky word because once one uses it to dismiss an argument they become a bigot themselves.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 09:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just asking.

Bigotry is a tricky word because once one uses it to dismiss an argument they become a bigot themselves.
A loophole in the rules of argument that the libs have exploited for far too long.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 10:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Just asking.

Trickier still because some people can't tell the difference between being called out for being a bigot and being dismissed for it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-18 10:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently being a bigot excuses bigotry though.
No?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 10:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just asking.

Trickier still because some people can't tell the difference between being called out for being a bigot and being dismissed for it.

And even trickier because the term is now so overused that it has practically lost meaning.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 10:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Just asking.

And even trickier because the term is now so overused that it has practically lost meaning.

Only a racist would say that.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-18 10:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand this attitude.
Just cause some generic person or entity used it incorrectly it's not like racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc stopped existing. Don't get so hung up on something episodic when you're dealing with a problem that should not be condoned by anyone.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-18 10:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That won't be necessary....
news
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 10:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Just asking.

Only a racist would say that.

I have been conditioned to believe that racist = white person, or racist = conservative, or racist = anyone who lives in a rural area. You'll have to specify which type of racist you're referring to.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-18 10:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Just cause some generic person or entity used it incorrectly it's not like racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc stopped existing.

But these words have been overused to attack "people that you don't agree with" to the point of exhaustion and have essentially lost all meaning.... which is not good.

(The royal you, not you personally.)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 71 72 73 ... 99 100 101