Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 99 100 101
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I hope you enjoy Siberia!

I probably would, actually.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

But really. Maybe I need to clarify because CJ took me dead seriously and KN is asking me for my projections or some ***.

I'm just talking out of my *** right now about something that would be interesting in concept. That's all.
By Kodaijin 2016-11-10 12:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Ramyrez said: »
In all seriousness, I'm aware of the glaring problems both philosophically and logistically with such a government initiative, but an even redistribution of population would have some serious benefits.
Chief among the benes would be the electoral college votes get evened out so everyone is represented equally in the EC as much as they are in the popular vote.

Everyone would not be represented equally in a pure popular vote election. Our system needs to be fixed, yes, but a pure popular vote would take the voice away from a large section of the country.
For example: Living in a city is a lot different than living on a farm. There are many more urban people than there are farmers. Farms and ranges account for 2% of the US population. NY city by itself is nearly 3%. So if a candidate was anti-farm but said everything NYC people want to hear... too bad for the farmers you just lost. (not the best example but whatever)
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

But really. Maybe I need to clarify because CJ took me dead seriously and KN is asking me for my projections or some ***.

I'm just talking out of my *** right now about something that would be interesting in concept. That's all.
We need your detailed plan on this desk by monday.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
The large cities in New York, California, and Illinois are what won her these entire states.
And therein lies the problem. Sure, on a state-wide level that may be ok for those citizens, but I'm sure that everyone do not want our president decided by a few major cities. Everyone in the country has a different viewpoint, and everyone should have an equal say in who should lead this country.

By removing the EC, you are essentially handing the electoral process over to the California cities, Chicago, and NYC. I'm sorry, but those cities do not represent the country.
[+]
By Kodaijin 2016-11-10 12:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

should say "Farms and Ranches" in previous post.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

We need your detailed plan on this desk by monday.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

KN is asking me for my projections or some ***.
Actually, I'm just curious about the benefits of equal distribution would be. Because I cannot see it at all.

The second part of the post would be your idea of making it "equal"
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »
I read it as rangers. But judging from the candidates America had this year for president I assume the majority of the population is war/whm.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bloodrose said: »
instead of using those divisive ideals as reason to not work together at all.
Sometimes it's those divisive ideals that creates stoppage that's more beneficial to the country than having only one set of ideals pass through the government for the harm of everyone.

Like Obamacare. And Dodd-Frank.
Yeah, I get the point of using those as stopping points. Which is a great check and balance when used responsibly. But once you get to that stopping point, what next? Finding something that works, means working together. Hammering out the details.

That means finding a common ground to do that, otherwise it's just belligerent and childish to keep yelling "NO!" to your opponent, simply because you don't like something that they do.

The essence of politics, as an outsider looking in to the American system, should be a measure of collaboration - do you have to be friends with those you despise and can't stand their ideals of? No. But you should be at least willing to try and find some common ground that benefits the most amount of people, rather than your political career.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
The large cities in New York, California, and Illinois are what won her these entire states.
And therein lies the problem. Sure, on a state-wide level that may be ok for those citizens, but I'm sure that everyone do not want our president decided by a few major cities. Everyone in the country has a different viewpoint, and everyone should have an equal say in who should lead this country.

By removing the EC, you are essentially handing the electoral process over to the California cities, Chicago, and NYC. I'm sorry, but those cities do not represent the country.

Therein lies part of the point of my thought project here. No more city-country nonsense. If you really want to get right down to it, the industrial revolution jacked up this country and we've had problems ever since!

Ooooh! New concept! Forced technological regression!

MAKE DYSTOPIAN STEAMPUNK AMERICA A REALITY.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I read it as rangers. But judging from the candidates America had this year for president I assume the majority of the population is war/whm.

*snerks*

Make America Buttersheep Again!
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-10 12:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Dissolve the union, every state for itself, BAM! europe version 3.3.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That's seriously so *** accurate though. A bunch of guys who want to be knights in shining armor (paladins) running around with archaic weapons and field kits (by military standards) espousing aging ideas of righteousness.

I mean, I'm not trying to make fun of those militia types too much here. I mean, they do have guns and all. But...c'mon. Even if you disagree on a real world level, it's funny in concept.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 12:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

Articles of Confederation part Deux: Electric Boogaloo
[+]
By Kodaijin 2016-11-10 12:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a side note, and dont want to derail the whole thing, but I was kinda surprised that when I went to vote there was no security or identity verification of any kind. There is more security at a Chuck E. Cheese and more identity verification when i try to use my credit card to buy an Italian beef sandwich from Portillos.
Does this bother any one else?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »

Articles of Confederation part Deux: Electric Boogaloo
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

dont want to derail the whole thing
It's a random thread. Only Ramy can derail it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 12:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That's seriously so *** accurate though. A bunch of guys who want to be knights in shining armor (paladins) running around with archaic weapons and field kits (by military standards) espousing aging ideas of righteousness.

I mean, I'm not trying to make fun of those militia types too much here. I mean, they do have guns and all. But...c'mon. Even if you disagree on a real world level, it's funny in concept.

The interesting and unspoken part of the 2nd amendment most don't think about; while it is your right to take up arms against a tyrannical government, said government then has the right to squash you with impunity.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Finding something that works, means working together. Hammering out the details.
That requires people actually willing to work together.

Which is going away thanks to the diversive nature of politics today. Which I blame mainly on the media (not wholly, but mainly).

I mean, sure, we have had stopgaps in policies before, but not at the level as we have today.

We are just too diversive as a nation today. Nobody wants to elect a moderate, so we keep putting more and more extremists into power.....
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a side note, and dont want to derail the whole thing, but I was kinda surprised that when I went to vote there was no security or identity verification of any kind. There is more security at a Chuck E. Cheese and more identity verification when i try to use my credit card to buy an Italian beef sandwich from Portillos.
Does this bother any one else?

Oh lord. And here I was hoping to not discuss partisan issues too hard for a few pages.

For what it's worth, my British friends can't believe we don't require everyone to be ID'd when they vote.

Also, for what it's worth, I was required to show ID, as was my wife. I've been informed it's because it was the first time we've voted at our new location. It's funny though because my wife almost didn't get to vote because she's lost [redacted for my safety] pounds since she got her license a few years ago and it looks absolutely nothing like her. Mine isn't as bad even though I've lost a bunch too. I just look like I got cancer or something. She looks entirely different.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-10 12:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's not because I'm a Canadian, or that we're supposedly more laid back.

We've had civil wars of our own to deal with as we developed as a nation, and in much the same areas of politics as the US has had.

Even our politicians, much like Britain's, have gone to fist fights in the House. But then you'll see them working on a common interest charity event or fundraiser together like it's all water under the bridge.

I've seen American politicians work much the same way, but it's the people that don't seem to follow their civil examples afterwards.

Our current Prime Minister is trying to bridge the harder to fill gaps between our more stubborn elected officials by having them shake hands, and find common grounds to work with, instead of using those divisive ideals as reason to not work together at all.
That is the point.

We are not civil about politics and never have been. This is not the first time we have brother against brother, and it likely won't be the last.

We have a two party system and we act like it is a match to the death between them. We pick our winner and vilify the other participant.

It is not a healthy system.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Finding something that works, means working together. Hammering out the details.
That requires people actually willing to work together.

Which is going away thanks to the diversive nature of politics today. Which I blame mainly on the media (not wholly, but mainly).

I mean, sure, we have had stopgaps in policies before, but not at the level as we have today.

We are just too diversive as a nation today. Nobody wants to elect a moderate, so we keep putting more and more extremists into power.....
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

my British friends can't believe we don't require everyone to be ID'd when they vote.
The whole world is shocked at this actually.
I should have come to vote too, I mean who would have noticed anyway?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Therein lies part of the point of my thought project here. No more city-country nonsense. If you really want to get right down to it, the industrial revolution jacked up this country and we've had problems ever since!
There will always be city-country nonsense.

Unless you make the entire world one huge city that is. But we will never get to that point because food do not magically appear out of thin air.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more or less come down to voting against someone, simply because someone else told them to.

They aren't voting for their own benefit anymore. They aren't voting for better, or equal treatment.

And not enough people are voting. Period. But no one wants to address voter apathy anymore, because *** it, hey, we tried once with a Puff Daddy song, and it failed.

The more people that actually get and vote, the higher the chances a moderate would be in the Whitehouse, and I think that's what scares people.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you make the entire world one huge city that is. But we will never get to that point because food do not magically appear out of thin air.
Have you learned nothing from Star Trek and it's replicators?!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

AMG right?

He's just not getting the (lack of) point to this line of reasoning and keeps trying to bring it back to reality.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you make the entire world one huge city (like Couscant) that is. But we will never get to that point because food do not magically appear out of thin air(replicators excluded).
I was going to pull a Star Wars AND Star Trek reference in the same paragraph, but I didn't wana....ah screw it.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And not enough people are voting. Period. But no one wants to address voter apathy anymore, because *** it, hey, we tried once with a Puff Daddy song, and it failed.

Found the problem.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 99 100 101