Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 99 100 101
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-10 11:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The Democratic Party Deserved To Die

- Huffington Post (!)

The anti-establishment sentiment that should have taken over the Democrat party long before they ever let Hillary take the reins is finally boiling to the surface again, this time without Bernie to lead them. It's refreshing to see an article where they hate Trump but actually (finally) have enough self-awareness to acknowledge the obvious, glaring problems that lost them the presidency.

A sample:

Quote:
The slow drift in the Democratic Party was long in the making. It’s been many years since the Democratic Party decided to throw their lot in with the shiny world of corporate professionals, Wall Street financiers, and Silicon Valley gurus. We accepted the decline of unions as inevitable (it wasn’t), didn’t bother even trying to come up with an alternative source of worker power and embraced the new politics of money even as we talked out the other side of our mouths about oh how terrible all this flood of cash in politics is. If you just send in one more donation we’ll be able to get the money out! There was an incredibly revealing moment at the DNC. In an effort to rev up the crowd one of the speakers called out: “Who in this room works with their hands?” Silence. It was a lot more than one candidate who led us to this place.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-11-10 11:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Abolish the electoral college.

One vote = one vote. That is the only way to absolute.

Yes, everything online is theoretically hackable but the systems can be kept offline. You can use basic hash style encryption to authenticate the validity of a vote without recording who voted for what.

The data can be copied to CDs, transferred to internet-capable systems and digitally sent for immediate results while also transported to central locations via offline methods (security trucks) for verification.

Order that the data, in all forms, be destroyed after one year.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 11:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really got the whole Brother against Brother mentality of politics.

It's already divisive enough as it is, that it causes severe tension, even among the best of people.

I mean, I've seen it get heated among people here, that were once great at getting along in other topics. Once they came into PnR, they started taking that out on them in other forums, simply because they voiced their opinion, and reasons for voting one way, that the other didn't agree with.

Many of you have seen me and some others butt heads pretty hard, but at the end of the day, I don't believe we let politics rule who we are, and we can still drink and bbq together.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 11:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The Democratic Party Deserved To Die

- Huffington Post (!)

The anti-establishment sentiment that should have taken over the Democrat party long before they ever let Hillary take the reins is finally boiling to the surface again, this time without Bernie to lead them. It's refreshing to see an article where they hate Trump but actually (finally) have enough self-awareness to acknowledge the obvious, glaring problems that lost them the presidency.

A sample:

Quote:
The slow drift in the Democratic Party was long in the making. It’s been many years since the Democratic Party decided to throw their lot in with the shiny world of corporate professionals, Wall Street financiers, and Silicon Valley gurus. We accepted the decline of unions as inevitable (it wasn’t), didn’t bother even trying to come up with an alternative source of worker power and embraced the new politics of money even as we talked out the other side of our mouths about oh how terrible all this flood of cash in politics is. If you just send in one more donation we’ll be able to get the money out! There was an incredibly revealing moment at the DNC. In an effort to rev up the crowd one of the speakers called out: “Who in this room works with their hands?” Silence. It was a lot more than one candidate who led us to this place.
When we began chanting "Money Talks", we forgot how deafening the silence can be! (we as a people, I would have done a write in for Gary the Snail if I were an American)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 11:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Abolish the electoral college.

One vote = one vote. That is the only way to absolute.

Yes, everything online is theoretically hackable but the systems can be kept offline. You can use basic hash style encryption to authenticate the validity of a vote without recording who voted for what.

The data can be copied to CDs, transferred to internet-capable systems and digitally sent for immediate results while also transported to central locations via offline methods (security trucks) for verification.

Order that the data, in all forms, be destroyed after one year.
Sorry, but I don't think that having NYC or LA determine who gets elected for president is a smart idea.

I mean, we already are seeing a large dissonance between urban and rural communities. Do you really want to encourage that?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 11:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
I don't believe we let politics rule who we are, and we can still drink and bbq together.
It's not about votes and policies, but ideals, and at least speaking for myself I hold them very very strongly, too much not to affect my relationships. Disagreeing on economic philisophies doesn't matter that much(and who even talks about irl?), but on values and morals I find impossible to befriend someone who represents a desire of destruction for everything I hold dear.

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 11:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't believe we let politics rule who we are, and we can still drink and bbq together.
It's not about votes and policies, but ideals, and at least speaking for myself I hold them very very strongly, too much not to affect my relationships. Disagreeing on economic philisophies doesn't matter that much(and who even talks about irl?), but on values and morals I find impossible to befriend someone who represents a desire of destruction for everything I hold dear.
Yeah, and I get that. Most of us here are like that to one degree or another. But people in this election cycle specifically, are putting politics ahead of friendships and whatnot, instead of finding common ground, even while on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Anything you agree or disagree on is going to affect a relationship, but letting ourselves be ruled by it is another measure entirely.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 11:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Sorry, but I don't think that having NYC or LA determine who gets elected for president is a smart idea.

I mean, we already are seeing a large dissonance between urban and rural communities. Do you really want to encourage that?

Forced relocations for all!

Make America's Population Density Even Again!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 11:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like everyone is mad right now cause nobody got *** as they were only promised if Hillary won. Do you guys need help relieve the stress?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 11:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

In all seriousness, I'm aware of the glaring problems both philosophically and logistically with such a government initiative, but an even redistribution of population would have some serious benefits.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
In all seriousness, I'm aware of the glaring problems both philosophically and logistically with such a government initiative, but an even redistribution of population would have some serious benefits.
Ok, I'm curious.

What benefits would an "even" redistribution of population have? And what is the definition of an "even redistribution"?

Is it by color of one's skin? Political viewpoints? Social viewpoints? Etcetera, etcetera?
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

We could relocate everyone from Oklahoma to other states, then the benefit would be, no more Oklahoma, but the downside is having to live with Oklahoman relocations until they get weeded out through the generations.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We could relocate everyone from Oklahoma to other states, then the benefit would be, no more Oklahoma, but the downside is having to live with Oklahoman relocations until they get weeded out through the generations.
Nothing wrong with the original Oklahoman residents. It's those damn squatters who moved in and shitted up the place that's the fault.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-10 12:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really got the whole Brother against Brother mentality of politics.

It's already divisive enough as it is, that it causes severe tension, even among the best of people.

I mean, I've seen it get heated among people here, that were once great at getting along in other topics. Once they came into PnR, they started taking that out on them in other forums, simply because they voiced their opinion, and reasons for voting one way, that the other didn't agree with.

Many of you have seen me and some others butt heads pretty hard, but at the end of the day, I don't believe we let politics rule who we are, and we can still drink and bbq together.
Maybe because you are Canadian?

I am not making a joke. Your culture (beyond politics) is a lot more ....laid back than the US in terms of our history in politics.

Our beginnings were violent and tense. We have had a civil war.

Politics is serious business in the US.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 12:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like everyone is mad right now cause nobody got *** as they were only promised if Hillary won. Do you guys need help relieve the stress?

Well we did elect the American version of Berlusconi...won't be a stretch of the imagination if "blowies for all" is mandated.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
American version of Berlusconi
I hate the man, but he never said the ridiculous things Trump has...he's a moderate. A very corrupt one, but a moderate!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 12:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

But he liked his women and his libido which was the angle I was working.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-10 12:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wrote a program that randomly assigns all Americans in here a spot of land to live on. By sheer coincidence, you now all live in the Aleutian Islands... except for a few of you that have been chosen to participate in a land-share initiative with Russia. I hope you enjoy Siberia!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's not because I'm a Canadian, or that we're supposedly more laid back.

We've had civil wars of our own to deal with as we developed as a nation, and in much the same areas of politics as the US has had.

Even our politicians, much like Britain's, have gone to fist fights in the House. But then you'll see them working on a common interest charity event or fundraiser together like it's all water under the bridge.

I've seen American politicians work much the same way, but it's the people that don't seem to follow their civil examples afterwards.

Our current Prime Minister is trying to bridge the harder to fill gaps between our more stubborn elected officials by having them shake hands, and find common grounds to work with, instead of using those divisive ideals as reason to not work together at all.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

I just wrote a program that randomly assigns all Americans in here a spot of land to live on. By sheer coincidence, you now all live in the Aleutian Islands... except for a few of you that have been chosen to participate in a land-share initiative with Russia. I hope you enjoy Siberia!
Randomly chosen of course. For "fairness."
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-10 12:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Chief among the benes would be the electoral college votes get evened out so everyone is represented equally in the EC as much as they are in the popular vote.

Yeah, they should assign electoral college votes based on the populations of the states so that it's fair!

Oh wait.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 12:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
I'm from a relatively young country too which was unified with arms. By all means I'm not saying the situation is the same(in fact here the hatred is geography related), but I think a huge issue in USA is the excessive emphasis that the system(so from politicians who thrive on this, to the media controlled by them)on splitting the population in two single groups.
Having more political variation might have some cons but ultimately not only better represents its people, but also helps maintaning a peaceful climate. The tension only rises when someone goes on a stage and starts saying "there's an us and there's a them". And that's what the USA has all the time unfortunately, you need to dilute people more because this only gets more extreme with time.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 12:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

We've had some barn busters in the house and Senate in the early-mid 1800s. Us politics has a bloody history.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 12:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

instead of using those divisive ideals as reason to not work together at all.
Sometimes it's those divisive ideals that creates stoppage that's more beneficial to the country than having only one set of ideals pass through the government for the harm of everyone.

Like Obamacare. And Dodd-Frank.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-11-10 12:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd be saying the opposite if you were on the other side.

1 vote should equal 1 vote, regardless of where the majority leans. That alone might even encourage more people to vote.

The large cities in New York, California, and Illinois are what won her these entire states.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 12:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I'm curious.

What benefits would an "even" redistribution of population have? And what is the definition of an "even redistribution"?

Is it by color of one's skin? Political viewpoints? Social viewpoints? Etcetera, etcetera?

I'm not saying there wouldn't be just a ton of problems, and it's something that could never effectively be rolled out, but think about it. If population density was even.

I can't...it's actually a lot of things that are hard to cover in even a lengthy post here. You'd have more people living a familiar experience as their fellow countrymen/women. Rural vs. Metropolitan goes away. Yes you'd have varied experiences in different climates and the like, but...golly this is harder to put into words than I thought about. Give me some time and I'll try to do it better.

It's not a particularly productive train of thought either because as stated it's never going to happen in any way, shape, or form. The closest that we ever had to it in this country was the Homestead Act. It would require wholesale eminent domain and so many infrastructure projects our heads would spin, but it'd be so much of a more ordered way to live.

Real life doesn't work like that, CJ clearly missed my entire point but in this case I can't blame him because it's a hard point to make.

All I'm saying is that while it would certainly have an entirely different set of problems, it would be interesting to see as a social experiment if, you know, you could play God in some sort of global version of the Sims or something.
By Bloodrose 2016-11-10 12:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
I'm from a relatively young country too which was unified with arms. By all means I'm not saying the situation is the same(in fact here the hatred is geography related), but I think a huge issue in USA is the excessive emphasis that the system(so from politicians who thrive on this, to the media controlled by them)on splitting the population in two single groups.
Having more political variation might have some cons but ultimately not only better represents its people, but also helps maintaning a peaceful climate. The tension only rises when someone goes on a stage and starts saying "there's an us and there's a them". And that's what the USA has all the time unfortunately, you need to dilute people more because this only gets more extreme with time.
Canada has multiple political parties for this kind of reason.
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 99 100 101