Random Politics & Religion #14

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 24 25 26 ... 99 100 101
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 09:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Putin On'the'ritz said: »
if you watched Trump's victory speech, you saw that Pence was completely ignored - and almost forgotten entirely
I like when they shook hands at the end and Trumps pulled him and stared him in the eyes like "you just try and dare to defy me now ***..!"
By eliroo 2016-11-10 09:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Can all talk about how stupid Minimum wage increases are and why people think they are the best thing ever?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 09:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Can all talk about how stupid Minimum wage increases are and why people think they are the best thing ever?
We tried for years, but it goes on deaf ears.

Especially when people who have actual points are generally the ones that others block. Sometimes it's this very subject that gets us blocked.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-10 09:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
if you watched Trump's victory speech, you saw that Pence was completely ignored - and almost forgotten entirely
I like when they shook hands at the end and Trumps pulled him and stared him in the eyes like "you just try and dare to defy me now ***..!"

I don't think pence enjoyed getting bossed around by trump but he should have thought of that before he took the job.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 09:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I don't think pence enjoyed getting bossed around by trump but he should have thought of that before he took the job.
He is probably looking at 2024, assuming that Trump is reelected in 2020.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-10 09:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should roll it back to $3 an hour THAT'S ALL I GOT AND LOOK HOW I TURNED OUT!!!
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 09:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kojo once said: »
I'd love to see Oklahoma turn blue
According to a map I just saw the only two states that went 100% red without even an ounce of blue are Alaska and Oklahomo.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 09:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
$3.00, adjusted for inflation from 1890s amounts... would be $12.00.
Let's list the occupations of people who made $3.00/hr in 1890...

....let's see...

...well, according to this source, a typical laborer made about $.15/hr, I would have to say....not many people. Hell, I don't think many executives or bosses made that much at that time.

So, if you really want to make a point, then make it using realistic figures. Since the BLS website can only calculate back to 1913, using minimum wage at that time, according to historical data, minimum wages were about $.25/hr. Adjusting for inflation, that makes the minimum wage in 1913 (in 2016 dollars) to be $6.10/hr.

So, minimum wage today is over-inflated compared to historical facts.

Candlejack said: »
As to why people think increasing it is a good idea, back when the min. wage was introduced, it was intended to be the MINIMAL AMOUNT one would need to pay for essentials: A car, an apartment, utilities, groceries, insurance (health and auto), and still have enough to sock away for a rainy day over time. Unfortunately, it hasn't adjusted to meet inflation often and we're in the current boat now where people want a higher min. wage because they feel it's too low. They can't pay for all that stuff and still have enough to sock away. Heck, they're even considering themselves lucky if they earn enough to pay half of what they owe each month for the essentials, if that.
Back when minimum wage law was introduced, there wasn't a lot of ***available at that time (again, first laws were introduced in 1913). There weren't cars, many utilities, insurance was not necessary, nor any of the other niceties we have today. And as for your "it hasn't been adjusted to meet inflation" BS, I understand that you can't reason or look at historical data, but in reality, not only has it been adjusted, but it's been over-stated and exceeded inflation.

And there are lots of arguments that minimum wages (and their increases) have caused inflation. Which is reasonable, when you increase costs of a product, you generally have to increase the selling price of said product.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-10 10:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Minimum wage increase will just lead to lost jobs, increase in prices and disproportional paid employees.

I used to think it was great, when I was making it working at a clothing store but now that I see how people evaluate employee hours on cost and how they cost things based on how much they are paying employees - I only see bad things coming from a minimum wage increase.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-10 10:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Those two seem to hate each other, too, which is fascinating.

Yet COMPLETELY in keeping with the history of the vice presidency.

He does strike me as the type of VP that would plot an assassination to obtain ultimate power. It's that perfectly silver mane and beady eyes....

He also looks like the grandpa in King of the Hill if he hadn't lost his legs below his knees.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-10 10:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

According to a map I just saw the only two states that went 100% red without even an ounce of blue are Alaska and Oklahomo.

girlboy and his extended family didn't vote at all or the trailer park they live in would have gone blue...>.>
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 10:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Unpopular opinion for a lefty to have, but a minimum wage increase does nothing for the floundering middle class and potentially hurts us even more because business owners aren't going to just eat that loss and while in theory it should mean more money people have to spend and more money in circulation, in practice it's just going to lower the buying power of people who already made a reasonable amount more than minimum wage (because, you know, professional degrees and training) because we're sure as ***not seeing a wage increase proportionate to the minimum wage increase.

What we need isn't a minimum wage increase, what we need are more on-the-job-learning semi-skilled positions in the economy. But those are hard to create too because even without minimum wage adjustments and even if you repeal the ACA and allow for other cost-saving measures for employers, they will still be able to outsource those positions overseas for cheaper, and all the American Made™ goodwill in the world won't makeup those savings.

Which...wow, I could go like twenty different ways with this for all the problems involved. It's almost like this is a complex issue that won't be fixed with a Band-Aid or easily-promoted campaign talking point like "lower taxes" or "free healthcare" or "higher minimum wage."
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-10 10:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

girlboy and his extended family didn't vote at all or the trailer park they live in would have gone blue...>.>
They voted, I didn't.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 10:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Free wages for all!!
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 10:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Free wages for all!!

Thanks Elon Musk.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-10 10:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The only blue in south dakota are the Indian reservations.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 10:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Thanks Elon Musk.
He's in the list of men I'm willing to marry. But unfortunately it's not among the candidates dad introduced to me.

Siren.Mosin said: »
Galka vote dem huh?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 10:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Minimum wage increase will just lead to lost jobs, increase in prices and disproportional paid employees.

I used to think it was great, when I was making it working at a clothing store but now that I see how people evaluate employee hours on cost and how they cost things based on how much they are paying employees - I only see bad things coming from a minimum wage increase.
It's going to be more pronounced the higher the increase is.

As evidenced

Quote:
In a region where all low-wage workers, including those in Seattle, have enjoyed access to more jobs and more hours, Seattle’s low-wage workers show some preliminary signs of lagging behind similar workers in comparison regions.

The minimum wage appears to have slightly reduced the employment rate of low-wage workers by about one percentage point. It appears that the Minimum Wage Ordinance modestly held back Seattle’s employment of low-wage workers relative to the level we could have expected.

Hours worked among low-wage Seattle workers have lagged behind regional trends, by roughly four hours per quarter, on average.*

Low-wage individuals working in Seattle when the ordinance passed transitioned to jobs outside Seattle at an elevated rate compared to historical patterns.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2016-11-10 10:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually galka are more akin to african immigrants than indians, nvm that joke! I'd edit it out but you know Cruz..
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 10:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

In Pennsylvania it was basically just Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) and Philadelphia and its suburb counties.

In the west even the counties AROUND Pittsburgh went red (mine being one of them). And not just red. Hard red.

Yet the state still ended up being close as ***, so that tells you how our population distribution is in these here parts.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 10:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I was surprised as ***when Bexar County, where San Antonio resides, went red despite it being a very blue county in local politics.

It's always a blue dot in a sea of red (right next to Travis County, home of the liberal rejects of Texas: Austin).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 10:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, looking at the map again, even Travis County went red.

By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 10:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That map is inaccurate -- or at least inconsistent -- with other reported maps I've seen of Pennsylvania. Allegheny county was the only blue county in Western PA that I saw.

Oh but I'm wrong about the Pittsburgh-Philly thing apparently. I didn't see the final version of the map after updates yesterday. Centre and Dauphin counties went blue too.

Makes sense. Dauphin County is where the state capital is and Centre is where Penn State is, so lots and lots of liberal-lovin' goin' on up in there.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-10 10:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2016-11-10 10:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Look at that Oklahoma, so red it's blushing.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-10 10:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't doubt the source, but it's possible that this map may end up changing at the end.

I mean, there are still recounts, but I don't think the map is going to change too much.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-10 10:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

new york times explanation of the map
By Ramyrez 2016-11-10 10:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That looks right as far as PA goes.
First Page 2 3 ... 24 25 26 ... 99 100 101