Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 Announced With A Fee.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 announced with a fee.
Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 announced with a fee.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 17 18 19
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-30 09:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
I think the funniest part out of all of this, is the fact for years we've always asked for more inventory, and we were always told "we will have to carefully check into this, server strain, etc" and their jury rigging of the data to make it work, suddenly they're able to add not 1, not 2, but now 3 recent 80+ inventories with zero issues?

The limitation was the PS2's 32MB worth of total memory.

The game engines code and all current data had to fit inside that 32MB space, that's all auto-translate, all inventory, all spell information, all WS information, index's for various animations along zone, graphics and sound data.

Because of that tight limitation they had to be extremely careful on adding anything that would be have to always be in memory. For years they stole memory from the Auto-Translate system in order to fit new things in. Now they have removed PS2 support entirely and that hard limitation is no longer a problem. They can freely add things to the game without fear of memory restraints, which is why we've seen thus huge surge in text data being added,inventory being expanded and new Auto-Translates being made. This brings us to a new problem, transmitting data from their servers to your PC with their shitty client network stack.

Of course then there is the business aspect of it, without new subscriptions coming in this game has zero growth opportunities. Any amount of resources spent on it is something that could of been spent on a more profitable venture. Management has to justify the resources being put in somehow and recoup the costs such that the parent company keeps the service around.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-06-30 09:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
People will still add mules purely for the added AH slots each mule represents, since SE wants to be a bunch of gigantic *** and not increase the amount of AH slots each character gets from the current 7 slots.
If I remember right that's something they are stuck with because of how the game was coded, in the same vein as how they can't do an inventory list with more than 80 slots (which is why they add sack/satchel etc rather than just increasing to more slots). So not something they could just charge a few extra bucks for without first reworking the code. It could be possible for them to allow players to list more items via proxy npcs similar to retainers from XIV, but that would mean creating a new system for it and idk that SE cares enough for that kind of effort.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2016-06-30 09:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
I think the funniest part out of all of this, is the fact for years we've always asked for more inventory, and we were always told "we will have to carefully check into this, server strain, etc" and their jury rigging of the data to make it work, suddenly they're able to add not 1, not 2, but now 3 recent 80+ inventories with zero issues?

The limitation was the PS2's 32MB worth of total memory.

The game engines code and all current data had to fit inside that 32MB space, that's all auto-translate, all inventory, all spell information, all WS information, index's for various animations along zone, graphics and sound data.

Because of that tight limitation they had to be extremely careful on adding anything that would be have to always be in memory. For years they stole memory from the Auto-Translate system in order to fit new things in. Now they have removed PS2 support entirely and that hard limitation is no longer a problem. They can freely add things to the game without fear of memory restraints, which is why we've seen thus huge surge in text data being added,inventory being expanded and new Auto-Translates being made. This brings us to a new problem, transmitting data from their servers to your PC with their shitty client network stack.

Of course then there is the business aspect of it, without new subscriptions coming in this game has zero growth opportunities. Any amount of resources spent on it is something that could of been spent on a more profitable venture. Management has to justify the resources being put in somehow and recoup the costs such that the parent company keeps the service around.

Problem is, they're still limited on space, and keep mentioning they're limited in adding new HP, or moving HP is a "problem" cause people would have to re-register them (like that's difficult and bothersome, really? Some idiots complained about the 20 foot run to North Gustaberg so that HP was moved, 2 HP in sky were moved...like, an inch or something? No problems there), as well as new Trusts, and other things.

I'm not data savy, but I'm confused how they're limited now since it's PC only.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-06-30 09:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

A mule for the price of $1 gives you:

-7 more AH slots
-The ability to take another craft to 110
-Login points
-Gobbiebox + Special keys/dials
-Mog pells, vouchers and other giveaways
-Bonanza participation
-560 inventory and 160 wardrobe once you max your bags

Am I missing anything else? If I'm paying monthly for it I'd rather just make 4 more mules than buy the wardrobes lol.
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-06-30 09:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop giving them ideas. Next they're going to add more AH slots, extra crafts, extra login points, extra gobbie points, extra marbles at an extra monthly fee
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-06-30 09:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
A mule for the price of $1 gives you:

-7 more AH slots
-The ability to take another craft to 110
-Login points
-Gobbiebox + Special keys/dials
-Bonanza participation
-560 inventory and 160 wardrobe once you max your bags

If I'm paying monthly for it I'd rather just make 4 more mules than buy the wardrobes lol.

As others have mentioned, the wardrobe is for convenience to your main. Rather than having to log out, change characters, mule ***, log out AGAIN, accept whatever ***(Perhaps more than once), you just pay an extra 2$ a month. Which if you are paying for a mule is 1$ more a month.

This really feels like more of a tax on laziness to me the more I think about it. And I'm remarkably okay with that.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2016-06-30 09:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I like this. I'm generally ok with quality-of-life paid options for MMOs. For me, I keep WHM gear in one wardrobe, and BST gear in another... but I have more than 80 slots of BST gear. This is a no-brainer for me.

I'm hoping that this is a precursor to more quality-of-life store offerings. Race/gender change possible in the future? God I hope so.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dunigs
Server: Bismarck
user: Dunigs
By Bismarck.Dunigs 2016-06-30 09:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
I like this. I'm generally ok with quality-of-life paid options for MMOs. For me, I keep WHM gear in one wardrobe, and BST gear in another... but I have more than 80 slots of BST gear. This is a no-brainer for me.

I'm hoping that this is a precursor to more quality-of-life store offerings. Race/gender change possible in the future? God I hope so.

Eh, race change seems more difficult to apply this monthly fee stuff to, which is how it should be. I'd honestly have no problem throwing a few bucks one time at it and having it forever, definitely more than $2 per. It's the subscription that irks me the most especially when you consider that once you're dependent on it, it could be very difficult to sort your inventory back down to being usable without it so that you could cancel the sub.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2016-06-30 09:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious though if the zoning+inventory load times will be better/same/worse with them adding more wardrobe. I want to believe they put some of the $ towards slightly better infrastructure to support this.

They've been holding out on the extra high tier battlefield spoils and double cp campaigns, you know SE wants to charge you for those too!
I'm sure there's some people they could charge extra to allow arrapago II without a time lockout.

They'd get more money out of me (and the playbase) if they focus microtransactions on cosmetic stuff. The stale meta and spamming ambuscade to death to make the same capes every month annoys me more than SE charging for wardrobe expansion.
[+]
 Siren.Leocon
Server: Siren
user: Leocon
By Siren.Leocon 2016-06-30 09:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So, as the day goes on I'm finding myself wondering what I'd be willing to pay, because right now 2~4 bucks a month for nothing but 160 gearable slots is a ripoff (in my opinion of course), but I almost think I'd be okay with paying fifty cents a month for that; I mean hell, it's already a worse deal than the cost of a mule at $1, but at the same time it's still a convenience.

So I think my threshold for opting into this would be either a $10~20 one-time fee, or a monthly fee of 50 cents per wardrobe.

Curious what others' prices would be for this.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-30 10:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
I'm curious though if the zoning+inventory load times will be better/same/worse with them adding more wardrobe. I want to believe they put some of the $ towards slightly better infrastructure to support this.

They've been holding out on the extra high tier battlefield spoils and double cp campaigns, you know SE wants to charge you for those too!
I'm sure there's some people they could charge extra to allow arrapago II without a time lockout.

They'd get more money out of me (and the playbase) if they focus microtransactions on cosmetic stuff. The stale meta and spamming ambuscade to death to make the same capes every month annoys me more than SE charging for wardrobe expansion.

For 3.99 a month they will increase server bandwidth to shorten load times !
By Inudesu 2016-06-30 10:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Leocon said: »
So, as the day goes on I'm finding myself wondering what I'd be willing to pay, because right now 2~4 bucks a month for nothing but 160 gearable slots is a ripoff (in my opinion of course), but I almost think I'd be okay with paying fifty cents a month for that; I mean hell, it's already a worse deal than the cost of a mule at $1, but at the same time it's still a convenience.

So I think my threshold for opting into this would be either a $10~20 one-time fee, or a monthly fee of 50 cents per wardrobe.

Curious what others' prices would be for this.

Most I'd pay would be a dollar each. It's worth the convenience over a mule but at double the prices *** that
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-06-30 10:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Half the people here posting do not even play the game anymore so their points are moot.

It is simple if you want them buy them, if you don't want/need them then don't buy them. I cannot see $4 a month breaking your bank. If it does you should probably get out more.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-06-30 10:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »

Ugh, I'd probably pay for that ***at this point.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-06-30 10:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-30 10:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

August update: For the low low price of 3 dollars you can change your characters hair to red orange blue or even green !
[+]
 Fenrir.Brimstonefox
user: Brimstone
By Fenrir.Brimstonefox 2016-06-30 10:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh. I think I'll pass, but I don't think I'll rage quit.

If it were a one time fee (like the token) I'd probably do it.

If they had lowered everyone's prices by $4/mo. I'd probably do it. but I'm not giving them more money considering the underwhelmingness of the last few updates.

If they charged me a $2/mo. fee to give me double CP I'd jump on that (4x during campaigns) Totally worth the time it'd save me.

I won't last long if they're going to a pay for "X" type model (like a lot of mobile games are) particularly if the subscription fees aren't dropped entire or made super nominal ($1/mo).

I'd be ok with the current "all you can eat" price of ~$12/mo. XOR "a-la-cart" pricing (I'd probably just stick with the former) but combining both for a game this old is ....not going to work.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-30 10:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

See that is the problem nickel and dime style purchases that don't seem like a big deal but they are screwing you a little bit at a time...they are counting on people holding their noses and purchasing this.
[+]
By Titanfoo 2016-06-30 10:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, guess i'll delete 3-4 mules, i'm not paying more that I do now.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-06-30 10:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So the next mount is a jumping shark?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-06-30 10:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This feels remarkably relevant to me.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-30 10:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
So the next mount is a jumping shark?

Make this happen SE !
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-06-30 10:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
So the next mount is a jumping shark rockfin?
FTFY

Also comes with an in-game Fonzie jacket that makes an "Ayyy!" sound whenever you crit.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-06-30 10:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd pay 2$ per month for an FFXIAH topic like this.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2016-06-30 10:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
I'd pay 2$ per month for an FFXIAH topic like this.

I haven't seen this much response on FFXIAH since we thought FFXI was going close for good.
By Takisan 2016-06-30 10:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol @ this. Just make an Idris Geo. No one will ask you to change jobs ever again.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-06-30 10:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Will just make everyone wait while I swap jobs like usual.
[+]
 Fenrir.Svens
user: Tenkey
By Fenrir.Svens 2016-06-30 10:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
Stop giving them ideas. Next they're going to add more AH slots, extra crafts, extra login points, extra gobbie points, extra marbles at an extra monthly fee

What's that saying? "Give an inch and they'll take a mile"? To the people who are okay with this optional addition, would you be okay with other additional charges for things we've been given freely in the past? We were given wardrobe 1, wardrobe 2, mog safe 2, mog sack, and mog case for free, why should they have to charge now?

Monthly campaigns? Now sold via the cash shop - additional if you want the PLUS edition.

Trusts? Now more readily available at the cash shop, with new, overpowered ones introduced exclusively for the cash shop.

Mog bonanza prizes? Just buy them directly at the cash shop! No need to farm for that ultimate weapon, or perhaps you would like the Kupo Shield to print gil lockstyle instead.

Tired of getting butt *** by Oseem and Divainy-Gamainy? Just pay to max out your stock of stones, including a bonus set of dark matter augments. Or perhaps they should charge for exclusive +1 and +2 Reisenjima stones instead?

Zoning constantly for ambuscade got you down? Pay for a stack of Abdhaljs seals, or perhaps for a set of items to augment 1 cape fully.

Locked out of quests or missions due to outdated or excessive prerequisites such as fame or coalition standing? For a small fee, just pay to max out your fame, coalition rank, or whatever, you'll probably do it.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 17 18 19