Random Politics & Religion #07

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #07
Random Politics & Religion #07
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 ... 59 60 61
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-09 03:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

alot of respect for this sheriff david clarke

Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 04:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya know, I get where people are coming from that it often feels like Obama responds more quickly to incidents involving a white officer and black suspect. I get that, because I see it too.

However, he didn't start this. The truth is, there are SOME racist cops (just like there are racists grocers, schoolbus drivers, and preachers). The problem is that cops are given the ultimate authority over civilians and are armed.

I have no problem with police being armed and with civilians being lawfully armed, but when you mix guns with tension or racism/ingrained prejudice, bad things happen.

When those bad things happen like a national rash, as they are, people affected by them react negatively.

I find that I vehemently disagree politically with most of my real-life friends so I absolutely never comment on political ***on facebook but i'll go ahead and share some trash I saw today..

How people can see something like the Alton Sterling video and still think this is always the case, makes me sick. This isn't a case where we don't have video evidence and it's "he said/cop said". We absolutely do and it's time to stop pretending.

There was the guy at the South Carolina gas station two years ago who was stopped, asked to exit the vehicle, and the cop asked him for his ID, and the guy reached into the truck for his wallet and the cop starts. Racist, involuntarily prejudiced, or just that nerve-wracked, people like that man should be a cop.

Now I know it's easy to look at that in hindsight and say he should have said "Officer, my wallet is in my truck" and maybe some of you would have done just that, but most of us would have reached in the vehicle for it.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 04:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

meh, not sure how I screwed up the spoiler. Here's the image I saw

The video is easily found on youtube.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-09 04:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

Now I know it's easy to look at that in hindsight and say he should have said "Officer, my wallet is in my truck" and maybe some of you would have done just that, but most of us would have reached in the vehicle for it.

I am so glad you brought this up Omnys and well said. This example is proof of the dumbing down of US citizens over the past 50 years. I can summarize this up in two problems that are related.

1. Communication
2. Education
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-09 04:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

was looking up more information on Alton Sterling aside from what the establishment media is sharing with the American Public.

Mainstream media keeps forgetting to inform the public.

Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 05:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, I've heard all that. Unfortunately past record, in and of itself, doesn't give the police enhanced authority to put some lead in your diet.

He may have been a pretty terrible human being but that doesn't change what was seen in the video.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-09 05:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

they pulled a gun out of his pocket he was not allowed to have you can see it in this video.

I don't care if your superman like the picture you posted when a Officer tells you not to resist you don't resist and especially if you lie to them that you don't have a weapon on you.

New Alton Sterling video
YouTube Video Placeholder

this is problem of

1. Communication
2. Education
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-09 05:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

NATO deploying 4 thousands troops in eastern Europe
By Jetackuu 2016-07-09 05:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

There's something seriously wrong with that line of thought.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-07-09 06:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »

If this was so easily the case, as you seem to believe, then I have a question for you:
Why is Cliven Bundy still alive, instead of taking a permanent nap under six feet of dirt where he truly belongs?

I didn't follow the events closely, but was there ever actually an incident where Cliven Bundy had direct armed conflict with police? To my knowledge he just got touched on the shoulder at an airport and told to stfu and wear his cuffs, and said "ok". I know some of his buddies got rowdy and blasted though at different times.

That said there will always be a blurry line, and there's always going to be an exception even to the image. But everyone knows what they "should" do in a given situation. They know they "should" listen to law encforcement. I am a firm believer that when someone is a ***, they know they are being a *** and committing to that. I never cared for american police but I wasn't a *** to them, check it out, I'm still alive. I've had officers absolutely infuriate me more than once in my life, but I still did as I was told, because they are the cops. I don't completely agree with things, but its how you keep a society together.

tl;dr the image is true in context

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-07-09 06:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Eradius said: »

If this was so easily the case, as you seem to believe, then I have a question for you:
Why is Cliven Bundy still alive, instead of taking a permanent nap under six feet of dirt where he truly belongs?

I didn't follow the events closely, but was there ever actually an incident where Cliven Bundy had direct armed conflict with police? To my knowledge he just got touched on the shoulder at an airport and told to stfu and wear his cuffs, and said "ok". I know some of his buddies got rowdy and blasted though at different times.

That said there will always be a blurry line, and there's always going to be an exception even to the image. But everyone knows what they "should" do in a given situation. They know they "should" listen to law encforcement. I am a firm believer that when someone is a ***, they know they are being a *** and committing to that. I never cared for american police but I wasn't a *** to them, check it out, I'm still alive. I've had officers absolutely infuriate me more than once in my life, but I still did as I was told, because they are the cops. I don't completely agree with things, but its how you keep a society together.

tl;dr the image is true in context
Two years ago he called out an armed insurgency when a federal judge ordered that his cattle be confiscated because he refused to pay close to twenty years of owed back grazing fees, and his insurgents shoved guns into the faces of Bureau of Land Management personnel and the police that came to aide them. So, like I said, makes me wonder why he isn't dead yet, as well as his brood full of traitors.

I agree with you but its not as simple as you explain, lets break this down a little.

Guys hole up on land and fortify themselves with cameras and phones recording everywhere while making declarations.

Guy gets pulled over and snaps his hand to the glove box while an officer shouts "stop don't do that, STOP!"

Both situations are stupid, but they are very different. You definitely know the difference too. Next I would address the punishment, officers using force is in defense, it is not justice. When people like Cliven Bundy are subdued, the officers dont get to kick the crap out of them as the situation is over, instead they get handled according to the law. There's a transition between these two events. Some of Cliven's people did get killed in the Las Vegas shooting incident, because they were doing exactly the sort of thing that my example and the image provides.

Its okay to be angry about both, and to be angry about injustice. Its not quite okay to call different situations the same thing.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-09 07:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

First thing to realize is that Police Officers are trained to be cowards. This isn't an insult, they are taught military tactics and those tactics are that you don't assault into you have an overwhelming advantage over the enemy of three to one. If the enemy is ten soldiers you want to assault with thirty. The US Military also employs "force multipliers" to radically enhance the offensive power of it's side of that equation.

So when it's as single black dude with little to no support, the Police Officer can freely assault him without fear to his own life. When it's several white dudes heavily armed in a fortified position, the Police are scared to go anywhere near them because no matter what they do, those white guys are going to take out Officers on their way down. This is why you commonly see cop's killing individuals and rarely see them attacking groups of people. They view the life of a Police Officer worth more then 100 civilian lives and thus are extremely careful to not put one at danger without a tactical advantage or control of the situation.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-09 11:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't like how the world is shaping to be from 2017 onwards. I hope I'm wrong.

*random concerns*
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-07-09 12:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't like how the world is shaping to be from 2017 onwards. I hope I'm wrong.

*random concerns*

Don't worry, if things continue as they are we'll all be dead soon.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 12:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

There's something seriously wrong with that line of thought.

To Jet and all the other people talking about this picture. I hope you saw in my previous post, where I somehow failed to properly use a spoiler tag and include this picture, that I agree completely.

This is suchhhhhh trash.

Alton Sterling was either a 'bad person' or somebody that had a rough life that was trying to put it back together. Each side of the media will paint him differently just like they've done with all his "brothers" before. There is an agenda to pursue and ratings/clicks to get.

Philando was by all accounts a seemingly alright guy who maybe made an ill-fated decision, maybe the girlfriend's account is 100% accurate, maybe it is truly a little bit distorted by accident. Unfortunately it's doubtful courts will (I personally don't want to, because it's so sad) see video of that execution.

Some of these cases of these "unarmed" individuals, I shake my head thinking that this is the family trying to sculpt *** when they have to realize that their brother/father/son/whatever acted otherwise in a manner that earned him the response he got.

It goes both ways, like Zachary Hammond, last year, an 'unarmed' white teen whose family is trying to talk about how he didn't deserve to die and that his race is why it's not making national news. Surrreeee he was attempting to run the cop over but HE DERNT DESERVE TO DIE!

Unfortunately so far, all we get is cases of seemingly decent guys dying off camera, or the camera 'malfunctioned'. That, or reasonably cooperative* people getting shot quickly. There's always enough wiggle room for BLUE LIVES MATTER to explain why the cop had no choice.

By reasonably cooperative, I mean maybe they struggled or were only struggling due to the pain of a 180 man on your shoulder. Yeah hindsight and whatever, but at the end of the day, we panic, make mistakes in the moment.

And btw, when a cop asks for ID without explicitly saying "Do you have ID with you, just tell me where it's at if you do?" I don't think there's anything inherently wrong (due to 'education') with reaching for it. It's a common sense thing: an authority asked you for something, you provide it.

If a cop says license and registration, how many people only say "It's in my wallet and glovebox, respectively"? They don't, they reach for it.
By Titanfoo 2016-07-09 12:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Even the cop that shot that guy knew instantly he had just murdered an innocent dude. Wake the phck up and stop copy and pasting things you see/read no the internet.

That is why the cop was screaming F**k with tears in his throat over an over.

So just stop with this resisting arrest BS. Do some homework. And watch the videos.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-07-09 13:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What were the grounds for the attempted arrest?

If there are no legal grounds for the arrest, you can absolutely legally resist arrest.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-09 14:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Alton Sterling was either a 'bad person' or somebody that had a rough life that was trying to put it back together....
He didn't pull his gun, he was breaking no laws, the cops had him pinned on the ground and THEN shot him.

Quote:
Philando was by all accounts a seemingly alright guy who maybe made an ill-fated decision, ...
Complying with the cop's orders is an ill fated decision? In that case it was.

Quote:
It goes both ways, like Zachary Hammond, last year, an 'unarmed' white teen whose family is trying to talk about how he didn't deserve to die and that his race is why it's not making national news. Surrreeee he was attempting to run the cop over but HE DERNT DESERVE TO DIE!
He was shot from behind and his left. His car was not in reverse. And it was in the news.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 14:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
If there are no legal grounds for the arrest, you can absolutely legally resist arrest.

Well, there's two problems there.

Civilians thinking they know what is legal and what is not.

In cases where they're right: Hell, half the time lawyers and courts don't know. Every court on the way up to the SC may agree on the legality or illegality of a law/situation, and the SC decides otherwise.

In cases where they're wrong, but some meme on the internet told them: All they're doing is creating problems for themselves. For the ones that get violent, they're creating danger for themselves.

I mean, if a cop stops you: cooperate, it's not that hard. The problem is that some of these cases, people are dying even when they cooperate.

In watching Alton Sterling's video, I've considered that maybe when the one cop shouted "He's got a gun", the other cop took that to mean "He's somehow gotten a gun into his hand, and is an immediate danger" and reacted. I'm not excusing it, I've just wondered if that's what happened in the moment.

In Philando Castile's case, it sounds like he was complying and just made a poor mistake and the cop overreacted and took a man's life. I'd like to say that if I told the cop I had a gun and he asked me for anything, I'd say something about "Do you want to get the gun from [xx] first?"

Even if the cop did overreact, that should still be Involuntary Manslaughter--says some guy on the internet who doesn't know anything more about this stuff than most the people claiming "you ain't got no right to stop me."
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 14:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Alton Sterling was either a 'bad person' or somebody that had a rough life that was trying to put it back together....
He didn't pull his gun, he was breaking no laws, the cops had him pinned on the ground and THEN shot him.

Quote:
Philando was by all accounts a seemingly alright guy who maybe made an ill-fated decision, ...
Complying with the cop's orders is an ill fated decision? In that case it was.

Quote:
He was shot from behind and his left. His car was not in reverse. And it was in the news.

Alton: People wanted to bring up his past. I was merely commenting on his past. His past didn't have a lot of relevance on the moment though.

Philando: He didn't make a bad decision in reaching for his identification or whatever, hindsight just says he shouldn't have done it (even though most of us would have, it's a reasonable thing). It was literally an ill-fated decision.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-07-09 14:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
There are only a very limited number of circumstances in which an officer may make an arrest:
-The officer personally observed a crime
-The officer has probable cause to believe that person arrested committed a crime
-The officer has an arrest warrant issued by a judge

An officer cannot arrest someone just because she feels like it or has a vague hunch that someone might be a criminal. Police officers have to be able to justify their arrest usually by showing some tangible evidence that led them to probable cause.
Unless any of these were met, you absolutely have the right to resist arrest legally.

Open carry, without a permit, is legal in Louisiana. And there is no evidence the officers had any reason to suspect he had a criminal background.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-09 14:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

And there is no evidence the officers had any reason to suspect he had a criminal background.

Unless he ran the plates before approaching the car? I'm not sure on the details, just a thought.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-07-09 14:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

He was standing outside a convenience store selling CDs with the owners permission.

Unless you're talking about the guy who was shot reaching for his ID.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-09 14:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

He was standing outside a convenience store selling CDs with the owners permission.

Unless you're talking about the guy who was shot reaching for his ID.

Sorry, that's the one I was thinking. I'm getting these names and stories mixed up.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-09 14:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The story is that a homeless man asked him for money, he flashed a gun at the homeless man, and that's how the police were alerted.

Of course, that raises an important question: Why were the police shocked he had a gun if that's the case? It could honestly boil down to this not being communicated to the officers by dispatch, but still an interesting question.

Minor detail: What CDs was he selling? Was this something he bought that's not intended for resale? Something he burnt and was selling? Him singing Christmas Carols? Something he was fully legally allowed to sell? The answer doesn't really matter, none should have led to his death.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-07-09 14:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno. The owner of the store said he was well known for it. And that the gun never left his pocket. Nor was it ever reached for.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-09 15:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

All the back and forth is why an unbiased investigation needs to happen every time a police officer kills someone. The issue is that the Police department themselves can not be trusted to conduct the investigation and fellow Police officers will lie and destroy video evidence to protect their own.

So expect there to be more frequent retaliation killings and expect them to escalate.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-09 16:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno. The owner of the store said he was well known for it. And that the gun never left his pocket. Nor was it ever reached for.

if your talking about Alton he is a felon , felons are not allowed to have a gun by US code.
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 ... 59 60 61