Forum » FFXI » Servers » Carbuncle » Waking the Beast
Waking the Beast
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-09-10 17:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to be setting up a Waking the Beast run. Run times are going to be discussed when we get enough members for the actual runs. Depending on how the members feel we'll do the run all at once, or in major chunks at a time. Most likely we'll do 2-3 avatars per week and finish with the final fight on a separate week.

But if anyone is interested let me know. I really want to get something like this set up for our server.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-09-10 17:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done this quest and it requires a lot of summoners and, I'm willing to go again. Do we need they key items again of each avatar?
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-10 18:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, you do. After you fight Carby, the other six vanis...but it's been ages since I do it, and only did it once.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-09-10 18:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I got my Carbuncle pole logn time ago.. but I heard if the person exits before popping chest you dont need to fight the avatars again.
 Unicorn.Frisk
Server: Unicorn
user: Frisk
By Unicorn.Frisk 2009-09-10 19:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

to enter the BC atleast 1 person in the alliance needs the 6 eyes, i'm not certain but i think everyone else either needs 6 of the eyes, the faded ruby, or to have completed the quest before hand

whether or not you care about the drops, i remember someone saying a long time ago, if you plan to spam it by keeping 1 person out with the eyes for maximum drops, that drops chance come from players with the eyes at the end only
ie. 17 ppl without eyes enter, 1 person with eyes enters = 1 chance at a drop only
i dont know how accurate that is though, could be bs
 Carbuncle.Leithe
user: Leithe
By Carbuncle.Leithe 2009-09-11 09:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Why so late at night? This is a huge quest that takes a lot of time even if you only kill one avatar. It's a huge timesink no matter how you plan it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-09-11 10:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What is 11 PM on the east coast is 8 PM on the west coast. Not all of us are able to do things we want during the day.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-09-20 12:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well can't seem to get anyone to join ; ;
but if there's still anyone out there in Carby that wants to do this we'll try to set up a time we can all go. /tell me in game if you're interested~!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-09-20 12:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always been interested about these fights and have never really found much info on them (mostly through lack of trying, but shh).

All I know is that more than a few people have told me that these fights are stupidly hard, with the last fight being one of the hardest fights in the game, which is why you never seen any blu's using Shiva's Shotel (highest DMG sword blu can equip, with a tasty high acc)

How much truth is there to this? Is it really that hard a fight or are the only people I know who've done it really gimp?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 12:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The fights are insanely hard with most setups. The main avatar does rediculous dmg with its moves the elementals deal alot with there agains and heal the main avatar with T4 spells and they just respawn for up to 10 I think cant remember. Tried to do it with tank and blm dmg and smn I think and the tanks just got pwned by elementals and we couldnt really kill them in time and they had weird shared hate....
However get like 12+ smns together and too weak lol. Carbuncle prime.... thats an interesting fight to say the least we ended up beating it barely with like 12 people 2 of which were refreshers got crap weapons though.

A good well put together allaince could probably do it too but tanks gunna need good resist setups and need to kill elementals fast
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-09-20 13:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
got crap weapons though.

Isn't this the main reason the fight is so rare? Aren't all the weapons... well... not crap, but nothing special? Even Shiva's Shotel isn't as good as it could be thanks to stupidly high delay.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 13:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Dasva said:
got crap weapons though.

Isn't this the main reason the fight is so rare? Aren't all the weapons... well... not crap, but nothing special? Even Shiva's Shotel isn't as good as it could be thanks to stupidly high delay.

Well thats part of the reason. The bow is good for some jobs. Shotel breaks a new fstr tier for alot of jobs that couldn't otherwise with swd specifically blu. Supposedly has a very nice proc rate and does awesome dmg on the additional. And the gloves are nice for smn and the pole is garunteed for everyone. But theres the fact that most the weapons suck you have to do all 7 fights to get just 2-3 weapons/gloves split between an allaince and they are pretty hard and can only do once a week and you gotta travel the world... yeah doesnt happen often. Last one I did took like 4 hours to gather enough smn and about 6+ hours to get everywhere and do all the fights
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-09-20 13:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, only weapons I see being of any use are Shotel, Bow, and maybe pole for lolmeleesmn?

Shotel ends up being more like a higher delay perdu since the extra 1DMG is probably balanced out by the hidden attack on perdu, and the acc isn't much better. The additional effect is actually pretty pimp, apparently 50% proc rate and up to about 70 damage additional effect, BUT, is only active when someone has shiva out in the party, so that makes the additional effect useless for everything except dicking around. Also has +INT, not +STR, so rather than being uber it's just "handy".

I think bow is the highest +STR piece for ranged slot? Maybe? (Except for RNG) The other stats on the bow are ***, so I guess that's all you'd use it for?

Also not sure, but I think gloves are a guaranteed reward? They'd be handy to have for smn faster summoning, not sure how much it would really matter, and can't see them being super handy for the added regen considering how it works.

The more I look at the challenge vs reward, it's no wonder no-one ever does it... Biggest reward seems to be the ability to say "I did that".
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-20 13:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

the fights aren't that hard if you have people that can follow directions.

basically it's a regular avatar fight but there are also elementals too. do everything the same as if you are soloing the avatar at 20. the only difference is the elementals which one party can focus on.

the setup i used when we did this was 15x SMN 2x BRD 1x RDM.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 13:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Aye, only weapons I see being of any use are Shotel, Bow, and maybe pole for lolmeleesmn?

Shotel ends up being more like a higher delay perdu since the extra 1DMG is probably balanced out by the hidden attack on perdu, and the acc isn't much better. The additional effect is actually pretty pimp, apparently 50% proc rate and up to about 70 damage additional effect, BUT, is only active when someone has shiva out in the party, so that makes the additional effect useless for everything except dicking around.

Also not sure, but I think gloves are a guaranteed reward? They'd be handy to have for smn faster summoning, not sure how much it would really matter, and can't see them being super handy for the added regen considering how it works.

Well alot of smns melee with there avi while soloing. And thats the garunteed not the gloves the casting time thing on the rocks though. The bow is balanced out that most the jobs can and should use bomblet instead though sam would kill for that lol.

I actually thought about making a blu/smn build dont laugh. I'd have to look up the number but if I remember using all the -perp cost gear including ACP body you can get 0 perp cost and still refresh I think. Which with that much dmg might be worth it. Who knows. Also 45 dmg breaks you into a new fstr tier which granted its not like blus are going to there fstr caps all the time for melee or that there wss are super powerful but its kinda nice
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 13:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
the fights aren't that hard if you have people that can follow directions.

basically it's a regular avatar fight but there are also elementals too. do everything the same as if you are soloing the avatar at 20. the only difference is the elementals which one party can focus on.

the setup i used when we did this was 15x SMN 2x BRD 1x RDM.

Lol try this without lots of smn you'll see just how hard it can be
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-09-20 13:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohh fSTR from the damage modifiers, I thought you meant STR modifiers for spell thinking the sword had STR. Considering blu is generally thought of as more of a melee than a mage, ws's are pretty damn unimportant aside from opening SC's, so I really don't care enough about them to research too much into all the math *** (although I research the math everywhere else). I know enough to have a pretty decent savage blade/expiacion build and that's about all that matters to me.

And no, I'm not laughing at blu/smn, although I most probably would be if you went through with it. Even with shotel it would have to be one of the most situational job combos of all time. I really can't imagine the extra damage being worth the super squishyness of /smn, even if you CAN get refresh with shiva out. Maybe if you're soloing some random mob that doesn't hit very hard, has a lot of HP and is highly resistant to physical damage? <_<
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 13:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yes the squishiness factor sucks kinda need someone else to have hate. But really the dps on that could add up pretty nicely. You'd make for one really weird blu but meh. If I ever did get shotel though I think I'd try it.

And yeah fstr cap tiers are based on weapon base dmg like another tier every 9 dmg I think. Part of the reason going all out on str is dumb on thf and why even though blau is an awesome weapon some plain weapon with higher base dmg can outdo it since the fstr caps are determined by the non latent dmg
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-09-20 14:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I really should parse my blu, because depending on the mob, the additional effect would be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the melee damage. *Might* be worth it for situational low man stuff (although probably more efficient to just have a smn in party letting shiva melee <_<) if the damage is high enough. I still doubt it, and can't think of any example I'd ever use it on... but maybe...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-20 14:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah would have to actually get it and test it but it has potential.
Side note I have tested carby pole as a rdm/smn and was rocking like 60-90 additional dmg and proccing often lol granted they were TW for most part but was some fun *** times. Actually I think everyone tested it after that grueling set of fights since thats really all we had for our effort lol
 Carbuncle.Qeldroma
user: Qeldroma
By Carbuncle.Qeldroma 2009-09-21 16:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to be a part of this fight. Mostly just to say I did it. If you ever get people hit me up.