2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » 2box with 2 controllers
2box with 2 controllers
By Vaizard 2016-05-16 08:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I have 2 xbox controllers and 2 FFXI accounts, im using windower.
I want to know if i can use 1 controller for each instance of FFXI in the same PC.

Thank you.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 08:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Virtualize the instances with vmware (need to install tools in the guest OS or you won't have direct3d acceleration), assign a controller to each.

Only way I know of, but it works.
By Vaizard 2016-05-16 09:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Jetackuu, i will try it.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 09:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

VMware player should suffice, if you want to do something like lock your resolutions for your vms, as far as I recall you would need workstation to do that.

But either one lets you forward usb devices to the guest.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-05-16 09:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

As a pure curiosity, I was wondering what purpose anyone would use this method for. I've played 2 instances with 2 controllers and it was too difficult to manage.
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 09:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
As a pure curiosity, I was wondering what purpose anyone would use this method for. I've played 2 instances with 2 controllers and it was too difficult to manage.

Try doing 3.

Honestly it's not too efficient, but it's what I'm used to. If I wanted efficiency I'd just set up macros from my main to my alts.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-05-16 09:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use one controller. It's faster to hit R1 to change active instance than it is to drop one controller and pick up the other. I could quad box on one pc with 1 controller better than I could dual with 2 controllers. But I will say, what you're use to does have a good impact on it.

Also, I burn through controllers, I can't imagine needing to buy 2 at a time.
By Vaizard 2016-05-16 09:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually play the 2 instances with the same controller using a button to change between instances, but i was thinking to my brother play with me sometimes.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 09:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Also, I burn through controllers, I can't imagine needing to buy 2 at a time.

One of the controllers I use is still the controller that came with my PS2 about 15 years ago. Probably thousands of hours on it.

Vaizard said: »
I usually play the 2 instances with the same controller using a button to change between instances, but i was thinking to my brother play with me sometimes.

If you enable the setting you can also have another keyboard/mouse assigned to the other VM, at least in workstation, not sure about player. I haven't done it yet, but I did read about it. When I get a desk again I probably will.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-05-16 10:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaizard said: »
That makes a great deal of sense. ^^
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-05-16 10:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
One of the controllers I use is still the controller that came with my PS2 about 15 years ago. Probably thousands of hours on it.
I guess I'm just really hard on controllers. After about a year I need to replace mine because the analog sticks get to the point where they try to walk me off ledges and in to mobs on their own. And the trigger buttons start to lock up. It probably has something to do with how hard I press buttons...
By Jetackuu 2016-05-16 10:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I never said I was sane. Did I?