2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Windower feels laggy vs running with POL
Windower feels laggy vs running with POL
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 03:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I'm having a weird issue with my game. The game drops frames and feels laggy & slow in dead areas (like Whitegate).

I don't experience this issue when using original POL in full-screen mode.
I'm running a low-end graphics card so I'm thinking it may be the issue but wouldn't I run into same issue on POL in that case?
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-05-02 05:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Whitegate has always had weird lag issues, but I've only seen it be server side. I.e. Running around with my mule on auto-follow would always fail. On my mule, my main would stop running for 10sec or so then just appear further ahead, but I never stopped running on my main.

I know this isn't remotely what you explained your situation is. Have you tried turning off all plugins/addons before you boot up with Windower4?
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 06:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
ve you tried turning off all plugins/addons before you boot up with Windower
Not really no. I'll try unload them all and see if it makes any difference.

Whitegate was just an example, I feel its in any zone I test.
 Cerberus.Nexxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2016-05-02 07:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Some zone are laggy like Windurst Woods (for me) it happend whenever i have put the textures resolution too high (2048 x 2048) or i have uncaped FPS or limited to 60.
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 08:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a prebuild business pc in SSF formfactor so I'm quite limited to upgrades. However its a dualcore 2,9 Ghz with 6 gb ram (though DDR2) and a Geforce 210 - which I plan on replace with a AMD R7 240 next month. So it should be able run a 10+ year old game just fine.

So I'm running the game in 1920x1080 on everything except for menu resolution which is at 1280x720.

Since I don't lag with POL I would't assume its not the resolution that's causing the lag. I could be wrong though.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-05-02 08:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I sometimes get lag/slowdown/loss-of-FPS whilst on FFXI, but usually it coincides with having an open browser in which I had recently viewed Flash-type videos (youtube, etc.)

I am not sure if there is an inherent conflict, or if it is because the browser retains information for playback and thus eats up/dedicates system resources to imbedded viewer, but when I close the browser (usually Firefox)--and thus the Flash plug-in--the lag/slowdown instantly goes away.

Either way, I hope you find out the cause of your slowdown!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 09:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't dualbox, but think that may help me?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-05-02 09:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Rinuko said: »
I got a prebuild business pc in SSF formfactor so I'm quite limited to upgrades. However its a dualcore 2,9 Ghz with 6 gb ram (though DDR2) and a Geforce 210 - which I plan on replace with a AMD R7 240 next month. So it should be able run a 10+ year old game just fine.

So I'm running the game in 1920x1080 on everything except for menu resolution which is at 1280x720.

Since I don't lag with POL I would't assume its not the resolution that's causing the lag. I could be wrong though.

What model PC?
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2016-05-02 10:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I'm having a weird issue with my game. The game drops frames and feels laggy & slow in dead areas (like Whitegate).

I'm running a low-end graphics card so I'm thinking it may be the issue but wouldn't I run into same issue on POL in that case?

It's the config plugin or add on or whatever it is now. the thing that lets you run at 60fps. Whenever you drop below 60ish FPS it puts you at 30 or 15 or whatever so it feels like your game slows down a lot. So in graphically dense areas like whitegate you get slowdown even though you don't think you should. In POL only you don't get this and are always at 30ish FPS, so there is no chugging to notice when the frames drop by half.

IMO the trade off of 60 frames most of the time is worth the slight chugging I get in adoulin and other big cities. For a frame of reference, this is something specific to the game and plugin, not so much the card/CPU you're using. I have a 980 and an i5 2500k and this still happens to me.
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 10:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

What model PC?
hp compaq 8000 elite business sff
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 10:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
Hello,

It's the config plugin or add on or whatever it is now. the thing that lets you run at 60fps. Whenever you drop below 60ish FPS it puts you at 30 or 15 or whatever so it feels like your game slows down a lot. So in graphically dense areas like whitegate you get slowdown even though you don't think you should. In POL only you don't get this and are always at 30ish FPS, so there is no chugging to notice when the frames drop by half.

IMO the trade off of 60 frames most of the time is worth the slight chugging I get in adoulin and other big cities. For a frame of reference, this is something specific to the game and plugin, not so much the card/CPU you're using. I have a 980 and an i5 2500k and this still happens to me.

I looked into the setting files for that plugin and it's set to 30 fps.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2016-05-02 10:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked into the setting files for that plugin and it's set to 30 fps.
then I am out of ideas. lol.
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 10:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, like I said, its a weird issue :)
Kinda a kinda a first world problem but still anoying when you are addicted to stuff like gearswap and battlemod

Edit: I actually tried lower my resolution to 720p and 1080p for menus and feels somewhat smoother from my first testing
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-05-02 10:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure all the 8000's used DDR3.

But not a horrible system overall, especially since now most places are replacing them so parts should be widely abundant.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2016-05-02 10:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, like I said, its a weird issue :)
Kinda a kinda a first world problem but still anoying when you are addicted to stuff like gearswap and battlemod
try the priority changing thing then and see if it helps.
By Rinuko 2016-05-02 12:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Pretty sure all the 8000's used DDR3.

But not a horrible system overall, especially since now most places are replacing them so parts should be widely abundant.
Yes you are correct. I saw that on the specsheet
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-05-02 12:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Try turning autoload off for the config plugin.