NRCC: "Your First Duty As A Congresman..."

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » NRCC: "Your first duty as a Congresman..."
NRCC: "Your first duty as a Congresman..."
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-30 18:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Is buried in this 60 minuets story:

Are members of Congress becoming telemarketers?

Stop fundraising, start working, says Fla. Rep. David Jolly, who is seeking to ban federal-elected officials from dialing for dollars

Openers from the transcript:

Quote:
The American public has a low opinion of Congress. Only 14 percent think it's doing a good job. But Congress has excelled in one way. Raising money. Members of Congress raised more than a billion dollars for their 2014 election. And they never stop.

Nearly every day, they spend hours on the phone asking supporters and even total strangers for campaign donations -- hours spent away from the jobs they were elected to do. The pressure on candidates to raise money has ratcheted up since the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision in 2010. That allowed unlimited spending by corporations, unions and individuals in elections. So our attention was caught by a proposal from a Republican congressman that would stop members of Congress from dialing for dollars. Given what it costs to get elected today, it's either a courageous act, a campaign ploy or political suicide.

Florida Republican David Jolly won a special election to Congress in March 2014. Facing a reelection bid that November, he was happy to get a lesson in fundraising from a member of his party's leadership. But he was surprised by what he learned.

Rep. David Jolly: We sat behind closed doors at one of the party headquarter back rooms in front of a white board where the equation was drawn out. You have six months until the election. Break that down to having to raise $2 million in the next six months. And your job, new member of Congress, is to raise $18,000 a day. Your first responsibility is to make sure you hit $18,000 a day.

Norah O'Donnell: Your first responsibility--

Rep. David Jolly: My first responsibility--

Norah O'Donnell: --as a congressman?

Rep. David Jolly: --as a sitting member of Congress.

Norah O'Donnell: How were you supposed to raise $18,000 a day?

Rep. David Jolly: Simply by calling people, cold-calling a list that fundraisers put in front of you, you're presented with their biography. So please call John. He's married to Sally. His daughter, Emma, just graduated from high school. They gave $18,000 last year to different candidates. They can give you $1,000 too if you ask them to. And they put you on the phone. And it's a script....

The NRCC's response is reported by Politico:

NRCC blasts '60 Minutes' story, hidden cameras

'Not since Watergate has the headquarters of a major political party committee been so violated,' the House GOP campaign arm says in a letter to CBS News.

(This is what led me to the above.)

Quote:
The National Republican Congressional Committee Friday accused "60 Minutes" of broadcasting a piece with "largely false information" and Rep. David Jolly (R-Fla.) of spreading lies on the broadcast— the latest salvo in an increasingly bitter Republican-on-Republican fight with one of the largest television networks in the middle.

At issue is a "60 Minutes" piece that aired Sunday featuring Jolly and his proposed "STOP Act," long-shot legislation that would bar members of Congress from personally soliciting campaign donations. The newsmagazine used a hidden camera to show members of Congress making phone calls to solicit contributions, which is commonplace in both Republican and Democratic campaign headquarters in D.C.

In a letter from the House Republican campaign committee to "60 Minutes" — obtained by POLITICO — NRCC Executive Director Rob Simms charged that Jolly lied in the piece when the congressman claimed he was told at a meeting that he needed to raise $18,000 every day.

"Simply put, this meeting never happened," Simms writes. "It is a work of fiction. Had the reporter or producer of the story bothered to verify this claim, they would have been told as much."

Jolly's office shot back that the meeting did, in fact, happen — and threatened to release details on who issued the fundraising quota if the NRCC wants to go there.
And lots, juicy lots, more.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-30 18:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If I ever became a congressman, first thing I'd do is tweet a pic of my junk just so no one would have to sit through four months of *** when there is more important news to be reported on.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-30 19:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
If I ever became a congressman, first thing I'd do is tweet a pic of my junk just so no one would have to sit through four months of *** when there is more important news to be reported on.

There's more than a few districts where you could get elected based on that campaign promise alone.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-30 19:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-30 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Not since Watergate
Did they seriously think it was a good idea to establish a subconscious link between this scandal and Watergate?
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [47 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 12:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This is exactly the system I want to change when I become President.

The representatives sitting in Washington DC first responsibility is to uphold the citizens Constitutional rights to make sure they are representing there citizens voice.

This article is further proof of the misrepresentation We the people of the United States of America receive every 2 to 4 years a Republican and Democrat is voted in.

As one of my favorite artists song Sam Cook says

A change is going to come