2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » PRINCE - Dead at 57
PRINCE - Dead at 57
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 07:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Bringing up Weiland is interesting, because I always thought one of Prince's underrated talents was how sane he stayed, despite all the fame, and all the talent. Fame and fortune has broken a lot of truly gifted artists, and it never laid a glove on Prince.

...I think it just affected him in a way that wasn't destructive as we generally accept such things.

He was a hardcore convert/born-again to the Church of Latter-day Saints and I suspect, though details have not emerged, their beliefs against certain types of medical treatment may have exacerbated what eventually killed him.

Or that could just be my own aversion to such things speaking and it may have had nothing to do with it.

Also, slightly off topic so I won't go too far into it here, but gladly will elsewhere:

Quote:
Fame and fortune has broken a lot of truly gifted artists

A lot of truly gifted artists are broken people. It is not a given, but there is a very strong correlation between creativity and psychological disorders and it isn't simply the availability/access granted with fame and fortune.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 08:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-22 12:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

God I love that show.

A friend sent me this earlier.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 12:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Prince's Autopsy Will Be Conducted on Friday, Reportedly Suffered Drug Overdose Days Before Death

Bad news, Rooks.

We may have been premature in our assessments both. =(

Quote:
The tragic news comes just one week after a private jet carrying the singer was forced to make an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, where Prince was rushed to a nearby hospital and treated for the flu. A rep for the singer confirmed at the time that Prince had been flown home and was recovering after a brief hospitalization.

However, TMZ reported on Thursday that the reason for the emergency landing was actually because the singer was suffering a drug overdose, and was rushed to the hospital for a "save shot," typically administered to counteract the effects of opiates.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-22 13:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldn't be surprising as he had a bad hip for years and refused surgery.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-04-22 14:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh.

I had wondered about something untoward when the cause wasn't announced alongside with his death, but I didn't really want to believe it.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-22 14:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to wrap your head around an adult under retirement age kicking the bucket with the flu in this day and age.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-22 14:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
It's hard to wrap your head around an adult under retirement age kicking the bucket with the flu in this day and age.
Don't say that.

It gives those people more firepower in their arguments.

We don't want to touch the forbidden subject.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-22 14:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

meh at the end of the day prescription pill overdoes is one of the biggest killers in the country. it wouldn't be that big of a shock. i mean if someone's religion precludes them from a medical operation because of the blood transfusion i can't hate on them too much for scarfing down some pain killers. you definitely can't limit who/what prince was to an addiction. he was making music til he died.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 14:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
wouldn't be surprising as he had a bad hip for years and refused surgery.

Probably due to the aforementioned Jehova's Witness thing. They don't take blood transfusions.

Edit: sorry, responded before I saw you already followed-up with it.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 14:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
meh at the end of the day prescription pill overdoes is one of the biggest killers in the country. it wouldn't be that big of a shock. i mean if someone's religion precludes them from a medical operation because of the blood transfusion i can't hate on them too much for scarfing down some pain killers. you definitely can't limit who/what prince was to an addiction. he was making music til he died.

Personally, I'm less likely to hold someone being an addict against them than I am seeing them die because their religion said modern medicine is the devil. -.-;
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 14:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

He didn't purify himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka:(
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-22 14:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

hundreds of people die everyday. 40 years of partying takes it's toll. we are such odd creatures. dropping dead is just as natural as popping out of a vagina, but we all gasp, and say "why!?!". stupid.

sorry to be a ***, but it's a funny observation.

I partied at prince's house once, but never got to see him. I was searching the crowd the right up until we left, but Idk, maybe he wasn't even there and his homies were throwing a party. I'll never know.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-22 14:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 14:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
lol

hundreds of people die everyday. 40 years of partying takes it's toll. we are such odd creatures. dropping dead is just as natural as popping out of a vagina, but we all gasp, and say "why!?!". stupid.

I partied at prince's house once, but never got to see him. I was searching the crowd the right up until we left, but Idk, maybe he wasn't even there and his homies were throwing a party. I'll never know.

The real tragedy here is you didn't get to try his pancakes.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 14:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

You're right, though. Why do we mourn one gifted/well-known person more than we'll mourn the death of an entire family in the same time frame?

It's just all about a connection. Price brought something into some people's lives that stuck with them, so they feel the loss more acutely even if they really knew squat about him.

Song related.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-22 14:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

Yeah, I usually conscribe myself to this outlook, which is why I avoid these threads, but good memories to Prince and still a delight, along with a surprise Fine Young Cannibals, for radio roulette to get your morning going!
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-22 14:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
lol

Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

EDIT: Dammit! You beat me to that one.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-22 14:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

151,600 people die everyday, but they didn't make purple rain.

i don't think it's so much of a, "Why?!", as this person touched our lives and we are sad they wont be able to continue doing that in the same way. There is no more chance of another 'little red corvette'. i might just be speaking for myself, but i'm 100% ok with the fact that i will one day die. i am however selfish and wish prince could keep making music.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-22 14:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

or play b-ball!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-22 14:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I shouldn't have said 'house' either, that mf'er was palatial.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-22 14:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

or play b-ball!

Game! Blouses!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-23 01:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.