De Niro Won't Show Vaxxed At Tribeca

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » De Niro won't show Vaxxed at Tribeca
De Niro won't show Vaxxed at Tribeca
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-03-27 22:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

De Niro won't show anti-vaccine movie at Tribeca Film Festival
The Tribeca Film Festival is canceling plans to host the world premiere of an anti-vaccine film called "Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe."

CNN Money (It figures)

Quote:
Festival co-founder Robert De Niro, who defended the inclusion of the film just one day earlier, said Saturday that "we have decided to remove it from our schedule."

The strange U-turn underscores the extraordinarily controversial nature of the public conversation around vaccinations.

"Vaxxed" was directed by Andrew Wakefield, an activist and former doctor whose 1998 study linking autism to childhood vaccines was discredited and retracted years ago.

Its acceptance into the prestigious Tribeca Film Festival came as a surprise. The Los Angeles Times highlighted the controversial decision earlier this week.

On Friday, De Niro came forward and said it was his advocacy for "Vaxxed" that landed it a spot on the festival schedule.

De Niro said he and his wife Grace Hightower "have a child with autism and we believe it is critical that all of the issues surrounding the causes of autism be openly discussed and examined."

"In the 15 years since the Tribeca Film Festival was founded, I have never asked for a film to be screened or gotten involved in the programming," De Niro said in a statement. "However this is very personal to me and my family and I want there to be a discussion, which is why we will be screening 'Vaxxed.'"

He emphasized that he is not "personally endorsing the film," nor is he "anti-vaccination."

About 24 hours later, De Niro followed up with a new and very different statement.

"After reviewing" the film "over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for," he said in a statement distributed by the festival.

De Niro continued: "The festival doesn't seek to avoid or shy away from controversy. However, we have concerns with certain things in this film that we feel prevent us from presenting it in the Festival program. We have decided to remove it from our schedule."

De Niro did not specify who "we" represented, but the festival was also co-founded by Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff.

On Saturday evening, the web site for "Vaxxed" still promoted an April 24 premiere at Tribeca. Tickets were supposed to go on sale next Tuesday. Representatives for the film did not respond to requests for comment.
By Altimaomega 2016-03-27 22:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone didn't get the memo.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-27 23:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

We just don't care for the medical advice or the back and forth between pro- and anti-vaxxers.
By Altimaomega 2016-03-27 23:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Something something Godwin. Got it.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-27 23:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, if you refuse to get vaccinated then you deserve to come down with the condition colloquially known as 'the shits.'
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-03-27 23:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying you've had 70+ doses? I'm assuming you're over 25yrs old.. 49 doses before you turned 6yr.

I highly doubt it.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-28 02:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Also, if you refuse to get vaccinated then you deserve to come down with the condition colloquially known as 'the shits.'

Vaccines won't protect you from stomach bacteria. Also they will not prevent you from contracting that virus, only in assisting you immune system in rapidly expelling it from your body.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-03-28 02:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit. Things that would most likely get him banned. Even though they break no rules.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-03-28 02:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Vaccines won't protect you from stomach bacteria. Also they will not prevent you from contracting that virus, only in assisting you immune system in rapidly expelling it from your body.
No ***?

Glad this got pulled. If it's such a personal topic to de Niro, he should make a better effort to understand current autism research rather than getting caught up in this mess.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 09:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I give this thread 2 pages before it becomes a shitstorm.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-03-28 09:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Edit. Things that would most likely get him banned. Even though they break no rules.
wtf are you even talking about? You're quoting no one and I have almost nothing to go off of.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 09:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
wtf are you even talking about? You're quoting no one and I have almost nothing to go off of.
His original post probably had some retorts that has previously got him banned in the past.

I understand his feeling. I also have to be careful of what I say or I will hurt somebody's feelings (but yet, break no rules) while some people's aggressive posts are still allowed to happen.

Mod Edit - AnnaMolly:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-28 09:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

:)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 10:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn you Oklahoman!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-28 10:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying you've had 70+ doses? I'm assuming you're over 25yrs old.. 49 doses before you turned 6yr.

I highly doubt it.

I'm more curious about this post since no one is quoted
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 10:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

I highly doubt it.

Probably has something to do with it.

That's assuming that you get your annual flu shot.

Edit: By providing the above source, the poster does not back any assertion of any viewpoint of any anti-vaxxer at all. The poster is answering the question presented with evidence. Please do not confuse the poster in thinking he is defending an anti-vaxxer or is taking an anti-vax stance.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 10:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks! The anti-vax vaccine isn't working again!

Don't tell me I need a booster shot! That first shot hurt! There's got to be some other place to stick me than my ***!
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-28 10:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This is actually more infuriating than the anti-vax nonsense, because at least that's a sincerely held - if completely wrong-headed - belief.

If your goal was to get topic banned, congratulations.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-28 17:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

‘Vaxxed’ Filmmakers Accuse Robert De Niro & Tribeca Of “Censorship” In Wake Of Cancelation
Quote:
“It is our understanding that persons from an organization affiliated with the festival have made unspecified allegations against the film,” the statement continued, “claims that we were given no opportunity to challenge or redress. We were denied due process. We have just witnessed yet another example of the power of corporate interests censoring free speech, art, and truth. Tribeca’s action will not succeed in denying the world access to the truth behind the film Vaxxed.”
This guy's grasp on due process and censorship is comparable to his understanding of vaccines and autism.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-03-28 17:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a private film festival, they have every right to choose what films get aired and what films don't...but hey he tried. Gold star.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-03-28 18:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

*feels around* This is the kinder-gentler P&R § now, no? :p Safe to come out with dissenting (so long as they are reasoned/thought-out) opinions? ^^

I never chimed in before on the CDC vaccination-schedule-and-ties-to-autism issue prior to this, because the data supporting the ties were tenuous at best (debunked as a whole, at worst) and I am certainly not a fan of easily-verifiable conspiracy-style claims of cover-ups by authority figures concerning public health (such as the decidedly nebulous "government jet contrails/making weather" claims.)

That being said (and as a left-leaning moderate, who does not actually have children) the only reason I try to keep an open mind to this whole anti-vax issue is because of the nature of US-government immunisation schedules--they are whole batteries of immunisations, and actually do change over time.

For example, here is the US (CDC) 2016 suggested child-to-adolescent schedule...

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

...compared to say...1995 (21 years prior, even for a generation of parents difference, from the same site here)...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00035471.htm

Again, the reason I keep an open mind is that there are years of generated data establishing baseline comparisons of completely vax/non-vax control groups (i.e. countries with policy differences) but I personally would like to see more data on year-to-year analysis comparisons, just for the sake of peace-of-mind (yes, feels) before I could conclude without-a-doubt (for my own sake) that there is not an interaction between any given change or frequency in prescribed immunity shots. To imply that increasing a given immunity booster schedule might not have any effect at all, especially when others could had been recently introduced in prior years that might have unforeseen impacts on developing children, or interactions with newly-adopted immunisation requirements, seems a bit disingenuous--something that wouldn't be readily apparent without generational-studies.

Again, I'm not anti-vax...it's just that if the battery of immunisations actually were unchanging over the years, I would tend to share the same "well, I was immunised, and I seem ok" sort of perspective. I would just like to see more generational studies to see if there are any interactions or complications produced by newer schedule requirements.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2016-03-28 19:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

I highly doubt it.

Probably has something to do with it.

That's assuming that you get your annual flu shot.

Edit: By providing the above source, the poster does not back any assertion of any viewpoint of any anti-vaxxer at all. The poster is answering the question presented with evidence. Please do not confuse the poster in thinking he is defending an anti-vaxxer or is taking an anti-vax stance.

OOPS!!!! I have had only two vaccinations in my whole life, polio and smallpox. I'm gonna die!!!!!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-28 19:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
*feels around* This is the kinder-gentler P&R § now, no? :p Safe to come out with dissenting (so long as they are reasoned/thought-out) opinions? ^^

I never chimed in before on the CDC vaccination-schedule-and-ties-to-autism issue prior to this, because the data supporting the ties were tenuous at best (debunked as a whole, at worst) and I am certainly not a fan of easily-verifiable conspiracy-style claims of cover-ups by authority figures concerning public health (such as the decidedly nebulous "government jet contrails/making weather" claims.)

That being said (and as a left-leaning moderate, who does not actually have children) the only reason I try to keep an open mind to this whole anti-vax issue is because of the nature of US-government immunisation schedules--they are whole batteries of immunisations, and actually do change over time.

For example, here is the US (CDC) 2016 suggested child-to-adolescent schedule...

...compared to say...1995 (21 years prior, even for a generation of parents difference, from the same site here)...

Again, the reason I keep an open mind is that there are years of generated data establishing baseline comparisons of completely vax/non-vax control groups (i.e. countries with policy differences) but I personally would like to see more data on year-to-year analysis comparisons, just for the sake of peace-of-mind (yes, feels) before I could conclude without-a-doubt (for my own sake) that there is not an interaction between any given change or frequency in prescribed immunity shots. To imply that increasing a given immunity booster schedule might not have any effect at all, especially when others could had been recently introduced in prior years that might have unforeseen impacts on developing children, or interactions with newly-adopted immunisation requirements, seems a bit disingenuous--something that wouldn't be readily apparent without generational-studies.

Again, I'm not anti-vax...it's just that if the battery of immunisations actually were unchanging over the years, I would tend to share the same "well, I was immunised, and I seem ok" sort of perspective. I would just like to see more generational studies to see if there are any interactions or complications produced by newer schedule requirements.

Admitting up front that you are not anti-vax, is no vaccine against being topic banned (I speak from experience). Careful...
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2016-03-28 19:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Fenrir.Schutz said: »

Admitting up front that you are not anti-vax, is no vaccine against being topic banned (I speak from experience). Careful...

I'm anti-vax. But I can only speak for myself.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2016-03-28 19:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing controversial about anti-vaxxer position except it's anti-science, anti-evidence and about as much a controvery as the flat earthers, and there are still afew people out there like that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-03-28 19:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
There's nothing controversial about anti-vaxxer position except it's anti-science, anti-evidence and about as much a controvery as the flat earthers, and there are still afew people out there like that.

Except that nobody actually dies from morons believing that the world is flat, well at least directly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-03-28 21:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Except that nobody actually dies from morons believing that the world is flat, well at least directly.

Pfft, call us morons all you like, but boy will you feel dumb when I post pictures from my Edge-of-the-World cruise later this year. The Prince of Nigeria himself offered me tickets for just two-thousand bucks and they'll be arriving in the mail any day now.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 09:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Jetackuu said: »

Pfft, call us morons all you like, but boy will you feel dumb when I post pictures from my Edge-of-the-World cruise later this year. The Prince of Nigeria himself offered me tickets for just two-thousand bucks and they'll be arriving in the mail any day now.
You too? Which cruise are you on? The Alaskan Drop or the Australian Dive?