News from the war on drugs
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-03-25 19:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Because Private Prisons is big business. Its not counterproductive at all. Keeping a group poor/oppressed/incarcerated is a dual-purpose method: It gives people a group to blame when there is a problem. Blame the poor people when crime rises. Blame the poor people when taxes increase, because they're sucking up all the resources. Blame the...you get the idea....
It is a four purpose method.

3, It creates felons who often aren't allowed to vote and in many states where their civil rights aren't automatically restored, and there aren't many of those, the restoration process is long and arduous.

4. It transfers population out of cities and into rural areas. This makes the rural areas more populous for census and congressional district proportioning.

I have always thought we should revive the 3/5th rule for today's ineligible to vote populations.

Three-Fifths Compromise
Wikipedia
Quote:
The Three-Fifths Compromise, is found in Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution, which reads:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-26 08:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
You could just as easily do a google search of "Private Prison Owners/revenue" to find that data. Just in two searches I found these sites:

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/20880-for-profit-prisons-eight-statistics-that-show-the-problems

And the top revenue ranked companies benefitting from Prisons:
http://www.attn.com/stories/941/who-profits-from-prisoners

The articles on truth and motherjones also indicate that prison inmantes are forced into labor which, in short, produces many items for the military and beyond for practically pennies. Basically slavery. Yes, the 13th amendment never really abolished that, since the Prison system works in tandem with it.

You'd have to either be extremely blind or blatantly ignorant to not see the billions of dollars being attributed to mass incarceration. Not saying you're either of those. You seem to be an information digger just looking for metrics. If you find any, share :D

in the immortal words of cuba gooding jr.
Show me the money!!!

writing an article or talking about something isn't proof. I need a stock ticker symbol for the evil corporation that is making the obscene profits so that I, who am also evil, can invest in them.

you aren't stupid, I know you understand the words I am typing so I am going to ask you again one more time...here I'll even type real slow.

what is the name of the company making these profits?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-26 08:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
It creates felons who often aren't allowed to vote

you guys are missing the big picture.

We, and by we I mean "the royal we" evil republicans. don't give a flying *** who you vote for. We own both parties. We own hillary clinton. lock stock and barrel

why would we or anyone else care if anyone voted or not

your votes don't count at all. they don't matter in the least.

the democrats have been telling you they are the good guys fighting for you since our country was founded

news flash - they don't give a ***. about anything but money
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-26 08:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This post is so fitting while I started watching the first season of House of Cards.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-28 09:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This post is so fitting while I started watching the first season of House of Cards.

I love a good "evil republican/corporation" story... probably as much if not more than the next guy and there are plenty of them to choose from...

but sometimes...and this is one of those times.... You need to spend an extra thirty seconds to question confirmation bias and dig a little deeper.

we have the technology. all it takes is an open mind and a few keyboard clicks to realize you might be wrong.

corrections corporation of america's, whose name keeps coming up as the evily evil profiteers in the war on drugs, stock has fallen from 150 to 31 over the last eighteen years..

google stock ticker just set it to max

you don't shouldn't need to be a wall street stock broker to understand that those number aren't good/don't bode well for the company/investors.

if you bought a thousand shares at 150 while evily rubbing your hands together, you would have lost... $119,000 of your evil dollars..

why is that!?, we wonder, what with all of these super convincing articles that agree with our teen angsty feelings of being kept down by the man?..

because maybe JUST MAYBE running prisons isn't as profitable of a business as we are being led to believe it is....

wow

and also therefore. if they don't have the bajillions of dollars we thought they did... then how in the hell can they afford to influence the gubberment on ALL levels necessary to influence incarceration rates on a nation wide scale?

well... they can't then can they....

No they can't skippy....

did a few dickbags try to make a few bucks off prisoners by charging them extra to make phone calls?

you bet your sweet *** they did!

but do they then have the power to control the actions of the ENTIRE federal, state, county and local governments and influence them all to increase incarceration rates for black people because they are super racists who are for some reason intimidated by black people's ability to vote in elections that are already bought and paid for before the candidates are ever mentioned?

probably not...
[+]