Planned Parenthood Video Makers Indicted

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Planned Parenthood video makers indicted
Planned Parenthood video makers indicted
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-25 17:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Harris grand jury indicts pair behind Planned Parenthood videos
Huston Chronicle

Quote:
A Harris County grand jury investigating allegations that a Planned Parenthood clinic in Houston illegally sold the tissue of aborted fetuses has cleared the organization of wrongdoing and instead indicted two anti-abortion activists behind the undercover videos that sparked the probe.

Secret videographers David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt were both indicted on charges of tampering with a governmental record, a second-degree felony that carries a punishment of up to 20 years in prison. Daleiden received an additional misdemeanor indictment under the law prohibiting the purchase and sale of human organs.

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson announced the surprising indictments Monday after a two-month investigation.

"We were called upon to investigate allegations of criminal conduct by Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast," said Anderson, a Republican. "As I stated at the outset of this investigation, we must go where the evidence leads us. All the evidence uncovered in the course of this investigation was presented to the grand jury. I respect their decision on this difficult case."

The probe began after the Center for Medical Progress, an anti-abortion group run by Daleiden, released footage of the Houston clinic as part of a series of videos showing Planned Parenthood officials casually discussing the methods and costs of preserving fetal tissue for scientific research. That prompted allegations that the organization was profiting off of tissue -- an allegation that was never proven -- and sparked calls for an investigation from Gov. Greg Abbott, Attorney General Ken Paxton and others.

The Center for Medical Progress did not immediately return a message seeking comment Monday.

Abbott's office noted in a statement that Paxton and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission still are investigating the videos.

"Nothing about today's announcement in Harris County impacts the state's ongoing investigation," Abbott said. "The State of Texas will continue to protect life, and I will continue to support legislation prohibiting the sale or transfer of fetal tissue."

Paxton's office declined comment, as did the health commission.

A spokeswoman for the Houston branch of Planned Parenthood said the news made the organization feel "vindicated."

"It's great news because it demonstrates what we have said from the very beginning, which is that Planned Parenthood is following every rule and regulation, and that these people came into our buildings under the guise of health when their true intentions were to spread lies," said the spokeswoman, Rochelle Tafolla. "We're glad that these extremists have been indicted for breaking the law."

The national organization of Planned Parenthood had said in a letter to Congress that Daleiden was involved in secretly recording staff and patients at least 65 times over the last eight years.

The organization alleged that Daleiden and others used aliases, obtained fake government I.D.s, and formed a fake tissue procurement company in an effort to gain access to private areas and record private conversations to be deceptively edited to create a false impression.

The second indictment for Daleiden suggests that the grand jury found that he went too far in trying to get Planned Parenthood to admit to selling tissue. The crime, a class A misdemeanor is committed if a person intentionally offers to buy or offers to sell a human organ, including fetal tissue. If convicted, the maximum punishment is a year in jail.

Included links:

THE BACKGROUND: Undercover Planned Parenthood video targets Houston clinic

EXPLAINER: What you need to know about the Planned Parenthood controversy

THE BACKLASH: Abbott wants harsher penalties in wake of Planned Parenthood videos
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-25 17:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL, so not only has Planned Parenthood been cleared of any wrongdoing, the people that released the edited videos are facing criminal charges. PP should sue them for good measure. Another fake scandal goes by the boards.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-01-25 18:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow it's like you can't maliciously edit together video clips to discredit legal healthcare organizations anymore. Not my America, wow.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-25 19:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

For those few who like wonkette's style, like I, or like getting enraged by it:

You’ll Never Guess Who Might Be Going To Prison For Those Planned Parenthood Videos
By Altimaomega 2016-01-25 19:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So to be clear. It is totally legal to sell unborn fetus parts to medical centers for scientific research.

Yay for Science!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-25 19:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
So to be clear. It is totally legal to sell unborn fetus parts to medical centers for scientific research.

Yay for Science!
But it is illegal to profit from said sale. One can only recover costs from the preserving and transportation of said parts.

And you might want to check out what conditions these parts help or even cure.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-25 19:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just here to point out that selling unborn fetus parts is totally legal as long as it is not "for-profit"..

The fact it costs thousands of dollars to "preserve and transport" such things is just icing on the cake of this massive clown party.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-01-25 20:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A "sale" involving no profit is a donation. A donation that aids in the research of many prominent diseases and a donation every single one of us has benefitted from.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-25 20:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does it not surprise me to find out Pleebo believes non-profit is the same as donation.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-01-25 20:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just here to point out that selling unborn fetus parts is totally legal as long as it is not "for-profit"..

Your point?

Get over yourself.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-26 02:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Your point?

Get over yourself.

Other than all this is over selling unborn babies? Do I really need to point out the massive elephant in the room here?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-01-26 02:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That PP did nothing wrong and your anti-abortion views don't matter?
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2016-01-26 02:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

FOX News gets away with fabricating ***stories like this on a daily basis... but hey lets convict the little guy instead of the millionaire TV corporation for doing the same thing.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-26 07:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Your point?

Get over yourself.

Other than all this is over selling unborn babies? Do I really need to point out the massive elephant in the room here?
Your bias? No, it's apparent.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-01-26 08:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Planned Parenthood killing babies since 1997 !
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2016-01-26 08:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does it not surprise me to find out Pleebo believes non-profit is the same as donation.
It's really no different except for the fact that there is payment involved for the transportation of the donated item. If I donate cloths to the homeless and someone is paid to transport those cloths to them, it doesn't make it any less of a donation.

The transfer of currency is for the transportation of the item in question, not the item itself, to confused these two is to conflate the issue and fabricate an issue from nothing. If you're to argue against abortion, argue against abortion, don't try to argue against it by conflating other things with it in an attempt to justify your opposition in another disingenuous way.
By fonewear 2016-01-26 09:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Yay for Science!
But it is illegal to profit from said sale. One can only recover costs from the preserving and transportation of said parts.

And you might want to check out what conditions these parts help or even cure.

Can it cure me of my apathy of this topic ?
By maxdecphoenix 2016-01-26 09:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

...I guess if the fetus can save lives...

lol, oh the simple ironies of the Left. killing the unborn... to save lives. It would comical if it wasn't tragic.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-01-26 10:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

maxdecphoenix said: »

lol, oh the simple ironies of the Left. killing the unborn... to save lives. It would comical if it wasn't tragic.
What's comical is that you believe it's tragic.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-26 10:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

I'm not anti-abortion.. Just as long as its done within the first month, or rape, or incest, or the mothers life is at risk.. Anything else is murder. If you support it you are an accomplice.

Your bias? No, it's apparent.
LoL, yea.. I'm the bias one here..

Really hope You're not saying I'm even remotely left.

What's comical is that you believe it's tragic.
Coming from the guy that would willing let murders out of prison and hand them a gun.. Yeah your opinion is valuable.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-26 10:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the biased one here..
ftfy And yes, you are.

Coming from the guy that would willing let murders out of prison and hand them a gun.. Yeah your opinion is valuable.
Where did I ever state that? I know English isn't your strong suit, but come on.

Anything else is murder. If you support it you are an accomplice.
No, it isn't. That's your opinion, which doesn't align to reality, there's a word for that.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-26 11:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really enjoying the rambling incoherent mess of obvious butthurt from the tinfoil hat section in this thread.
By fonewear 2016-01-26 12:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
I'm really enjoying the rambling incoherent mess of obvious butthurt from the tinfoil hat section in this thread.

All I see is dead babies and no guilt...
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-26 12:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

somehow that double-posted.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-26 12:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Gosh, you're right. BRB I'ma photoshop a picture of Planned Parenthood flying planes into the World Trade Center. If that doesn't prove their wrong-doing, it's because there's not enough guilt over dead babies.
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-01-26 12:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Gosh, you're right. BRB I'ma photoshop a picture of Planned Parenthood flying planes into the World Trade Center. If that doesn't prove their wrong-doing, it's because there's not enough guilt over dead babies.

Aborted fetuses can't melt steel beams.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-26 12:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »

Aborted fetuses can't melt steel beams.

Quit fact checking, fact checker! Can't you see I'm trying to spin some emotional sophistry here?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-01-26 13:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

I'm not anti-abortion.. Just as long as its done within the first month, or rape, or incest, or the mothers life is at risk.. Anything else is murder. If you support it you are an accomplice.
What's the basis for a one month cutoff?

About as ironic as ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife. A fetus isn't aborted for the purpose of donating it to science. It's a consequence.
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2016-01-26 13:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not anti-abortion.. Just as long as its done within the first month, or rape, or incest, or the mothers life is at risk.. Anything else is murder.
If it's murder, how would rape or incest change anything? I'd presume it's murder to you due to the nature of what an unborn is, how does the circumstances by which the unborn has come to exist determine whether or not it's murder? I mean, it's not as though the unborn has any ability to dictate these circumstances. To me, this seems like a nonsensical line by which to differentiate what is or isn't murder.

Quote:
LoL, yea.. I'm the bias one here..
You appear to be bias, yes. There appears to be a particular slant on your opinion of this debate regardless of the fact that abortion itself and the "sale" of things are different than covering costs of transportation. It looks very much like an anti-abortion slant as opposed to an objective view of whether or not something was in fact being sold, or simply had transportation costs paid for.

Anything else is murder. If you support it you are an accomplice.
No, it isn't. That's your opinion, which doesn't align to reality, there's a word for that.
Well to be fair, all any definition of murder ever amounts to is opinion, some opinions are simply made into law. Altima's no more or less correlates to reality than anyone else's, it simply isn't in law, and law shouldn't dictate discussion as law could never change if current law made such dictations.

Be that as it may, to count someone as an accomplice for supporting something is quite ludicrous. There's a vast difference between agreeing with an action, and helping to carry it out, to hold someone accountable for what they support is tantamount to thought crime, or at least, that's how it seems to me.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6