Nestle - Child Slavery Lawsuit

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Nestle - child slavery lawsuit
Nestle - child slavery lawsuit
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-01-11 11:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
U.S. top court rejects Nestle bid to throw out child slavery suit

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected a bid by Nestle SA, the world's largest food maker, and two other companies to throw out a lawsuit seeking to hold them liable for the use of child slaves to harvest cocoa in Ivory Coast.

The high court left in place a December 2014 ruling by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that refused to dismiss a lawsuit against Nestle, Archer-Daniels-Midland Co and Cargill Inc filed by former victims of child slavery.

The plaintiffs, who were originally from Mali, contend the companies aided and abetted human rights violations through their active involvement in purchasing cocoa from Ivory Coast. While aware of the child slavery problem, the companies offered financial and technical assistance to local farmers in a bid to guarantee the cheapest source of cocoa, the plaintiffs said.

The case focused in part on how lower court judges have interpreted a 2013 Supreme Court decision that made it harder for plaintiffs to sue corporations in U.S. courts for abuses alleged to have occurred overseas.

In its 2013 ruling in the Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum Co case, the court unanimously threw out a lawsuit by 12 people from Nigeria that accused British and Dutch-based Royal Dutch Shell Plc of aiding state-sponsored torture and murder.

The court said the law under which the Nigerians brought the case, the 1789 Alien Tort Statute, was presumed to cover only violations of international law occurring in the United States. Violations elsewhere, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote, must "touch and concern" U.S. territory "with sufficient force to displace the presumption."

U.S. companies facing similar suits have had considerable success fending off such cases by citing the ruling, although judges have differed in how they have interpreted it.

In the Nestle case, the appeals court said the plaintiffs could update their lawsuit to see if they could meet the higher burden required under the Supreme Court ruling. Several business groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, urged the court to hear the case.

The case is Nestle Inc v. John Doe, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 15-349. (Reporting by Lawrence Hurley; Editing by Will Dunham)

Source
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-11 11:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I apologize, but what does it mean to "throw out a lawsuit"? That they're being sued?
By Ramyrez 2016-01-11 11:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I apologize, but what does it mean to "throw out a lawsuit"? That they're being sued?

The tl;dr is that when a side wants a suit "thrown out" what they're asking the judge to do is dismiss the charges as baseless and not worth everyone's time in court.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-11 11:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
The plaintiffs, who were originally from Mali, contend the companies aided and abetted human rights violations through their active involvement in purchasing cocoa from Ivory Coast. While aware of the child slavery problem, the companies offered financial and technical assistance to local farmers in a bid to guarantee the cheapest source of cocoa, the plaintiffs said.
If that's enough to get sued for, then every citizen in America and most of the world has also aided and abetted human rights violations by purchasing Nestle products.

Should we sue each other?

Guilt by consumership. Now that's...well...par for the course for certain people.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-11 17:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that "while aware" part obliviates your guilt by consumership.

Besides I much prefer death by chocolate to guilt by consumership.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-11 17:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

They are going to have a hell of a time to prove that the company was aware of the human rights violation.

I mean, who leaves paperwork like that?

Naw, this is a frivolous lawsuit, plain and simple.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2016-01-11 18:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
If that's enough to get sued for, then every citizen in America and most of the world has also aided and abetted human rights violations by purchasing Nestle products.

Should we sue each other?

Guilt by consumership. Now that's...well...par for the course for certain people.
Apple comes to mind as a company in which all its users are 'guilty' of aiding similar labor practices.

But yeah... not going to work,
unfortunately
[+]
By Artemicion 2016-01-11 18:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nestle has been denied on their request to have the case thrown.

See you in court~
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-11 18:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the fact that the court decided to allow the suit to go forward is a victory in itself?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-11 19:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah this smells too much of a cash grab. This is pretty standard business practice in the era of globalization, lots of the resources for first world countries come from the developing nations who don't exactly have the best human rights practices. Proving that the company executives actively knew and assisted of the violations is practically impossible. TV and internet stories don't count as evidence, they will have to have documentation that a company executive was on the ground actively encouraging the acts, which company executives don't do precisely for that reason. They will hire someone else to go to it with an unspoken rule that the company doesn't want to know any details.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-11 19:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They are going to have a hell of a time to prove that the company was aware of the human rights violation.

If it was that frivolous a suit it wouldn't even have reached the Supremes. That they didn't toss it out on its ear says a lot.

Mind you the plaintiffs still have to jump a fairly high hurdle.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I guess the fact that the court decided to allow the suit to go forward is a victory in itself?
Just so, but merely a strong victory in a long war.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-11 20:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

If it was that frivolous a suit it wouldn't even have reached the Supremes. That they didn't toss it out on its ear says a lot.

So tell me Chanti, is Nestle guilty in your eyes?
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-11 22:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Child slavery? Oh, come on. They're just trying to make some money. It's nothing personal. They'd filet their own mothers with a plastic spoon-fork if it meant turning a profit.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-11 22:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

They are an evil capitalistic corporation so of course they are guilty of everything and should have all their wealth redistributed, especially Chanti's personal account.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-01-11 23:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

They are an evil capitalistic corporation so of course they are guilty of everything and should have all their wealth redistributed, especially Chanti's personal account.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Yatenkou 2016-01-12 00:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
Child slavery? Oh, come on. They're just trying to make some money. It's nothing personal. They'd filet their own mothers with a plastic spork if it meant turning a profit.

....ftfy
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-12 09:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea yet. And we may never have an idea.

This is the high hurdle I mentioned:

Quote:
The case focused in part on how lower court judges have interpreted a 2013 Supreme Court decision that made it harder for plaintiffs to sue corporations in U.S. courts for abuses alleged to have occurred overseas.

In its 2013 ruling in the Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum Co case, the court unanimously threw out a lawsuit by 12 people from Nigeria that accused British and Dutch-based Royal Dutch Shell Plc of aiding state-sponsored torture and murder.

The court said the law under which the Nigerians brought the case, the 1789 Alien Tort Statute, was presumed to cover only violations of international law occurring in the United States. Violations elsewhere, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote, must "touch and concern" U.S. territory "with sufficient force to displace the presumption."
So it is still quite possible the case will never go forward.

And as you mentioned:

Quote:
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-12 09:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea yet. And we may never have an idea.
Please, we both know you already made your decision.

Are they guilty or not?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-01-12 09:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They are an evil capitalistic corporation so of course they are guilty of everything.

but we aren't an AMERICAN... all of those things you mentioned... (nestle is based in sweden) so you can cram it sideways puckwallow! you'll never pin that crap on us!!!

<insert diabolical laugh here>
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-12 09:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
They are an evil capitalistic corporation so of course they are guilty of everything.

but we aren't an AMERICAN... all of those things you mentioned... (nestle is based in sweden) so you can cram it sideways puckwallow! you'll never pin that crap on us!!!

<insert diabolical laugh here>
Does it matter?

Any means of trying to settle out of court is worth doing to some groups of people.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-01-12 10:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it matter?

pffft..if nestle were an american company there would already be torches and pitchforks and smelly hippies camping out on our front lawns.

don't you remember the war on big tobacco!?

big pharma?, evil oil barons?, big coal?, microsoft?, big liquor and liquor ads?, the music industry, every other damn thing in america..

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-01-12 10:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo King, Nestle called. They asked me to tell you your check is in the mail.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-12 11:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Does it matter?

pffft..if nestle were an american company there would already be torches and pitchforks and smelly hippies camping out on our front lawns.

don't you remember the war on big tobacco!?

big pharma?, evil oil barons?, big coal?, microsoft?, big liquor and liquor ads?, the music industry, every other damn thing in america..
Who says that those damn hippies still can't complain about foreign companies?

#OccupyToilets
[+]