Do You Think America Has A War On Christmas?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Do you think America has a war on Christmas?
Do you think America has a war on Christmas?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The phrase "separation of church and state" itself does not appear in the United States Constitution. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
The phrase "separation of church and state" itself does not appear in the United States Constitution. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

pay close attention to the bolded area
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 09:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe if you payed more attention to the posts you respond to. I never said practice of any religion should be prohibited.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-06-16 09:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Maybe if you payed more attention to the posts you respond to. I never said practice of any religion should be prohibited.
Well, aside for those who include blood sacrifices like aztech religion lol.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion cannot dictate laws and policies. No matter how much you wish it could, this is how it is and how it damn should.

This is why there are equal rights for homosexuals for example.

It was government policy that recognizes all religions holy days being celebrated in the United States of America.

I never said i wanted to impose a law of a religion on anyone that was out of your own words.

I said we can openly practice
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-06-16 09:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would not classify my nations founding fathers as idiots they wrote the Constitution as clear as possible because in the Old world they were persecuted from doing such things and made sure to express this as clear as possible in the Constitution. If they wanted to prohibit people from expressing religion openly they would of wrote in From

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

This means the state is not allowed to endorse any religion. It must be fair and equal to all. Anything it gives to one religion it must give to all. No one says a person of a particular faith cannot endorse a religion, say a prayer or whatever their faith says to do, but someone acting in a position of the government should not.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 09:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I said we can openly practice
Why are you debating me if you don't disagree with me?
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

quote the whole thing

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
I would not classify my nations founding fathers as idiots they wrote the Constitution as clear as possible because in the Old world they were persecuted from doing such things and made sure to express this as clear as possible in the Constitution. If they wanted to prohibit people from expressing religion openly they would of wrote in From

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ( i added the bolded part which is the complete version )

This means the state is not allowed to endorse any religion. It must be fair and equal to all. Anything it gives to one religion it must give to all. No one says a person of a particular faith cannot endorse a religion, say a prayer or whatever their faith says to do, but someone acting in a position of the government should not.

The United States government recognizes all religions holy days.

I'm not forcing anyone to favor or accept any religion, all i am saying is Representatives and presidents do swear there oaths with the Bible and other holy books and a few did not.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 09:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

quote the whole thing

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
You're still not disagreeing with me.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion cannot dictate laws and policies. No matter how much you wish it could, this is how it is and how it damn should.

This was where i disagreed with you about law and policy

It is the United States of Americas governments POLICY to recognize all religious holy days which is government approved.

the definition of policy is

pol·i·cy1
ˈpäləsē/Submit
noun
a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by a government, party, business, or individual.
"the administration's controversial economic policies"
synonyms: plans, strategy, stratagem, approach, code, system, guidelines, theory; More
archaic
prudent or expedient conduct or action.
"a course of policy and wisdom"
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 09:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It is the United States of Americas governments POLICY to recognize all religious holy days which is government approved.
No..you don't? Because I didn't say otherwise?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-16 09:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Morals, virtues, etc. are derived from different places. Some get them from religion, some get them from other philosophies. You have people saying that religious values cannot be legislated, but that is false. "Separation of church and state" has more to do with preventing religious organizations from overtaking government than anything. I don't give a crap if you got your belief that murder is bad from "Thou shalt not kill" or from common sense, so long as you make a case for why legislating against murder is best for society.

The problem with people saying "cuz the Bible says so" when trying to enforce religious values legislatively isn't the constitutionality of it, it's the fact that it's a really worthless argument in the melting pot of religious and non-religious views that is the United States. You need to make a secular case for your argument regardless of where the initial ideas were derived.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 09:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to explain to you that I don't personally wish for any religion to make laws or policy. You think i want that but your wrong about me. Because that's for government to do and they do recognize by federal code religious holy days to be openly practiced.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 10:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to explain to you that I don't personally wish for any religion to make laws or policy. You think i want that but your wrong about me. Because that's for government to do and they do recognize by federal code religious holy days to be openly practiced.
Then why are you quoting that post? And why did you change the point you're trying to make in response to me?

I'm starting more and more to lean on the side of you being a troll. Otherwise noticing you weren't disagreeing with me you would have stopped there, instead you insist on keeping us at opposites. So it's either that or you focus so much on the name of the poster that you ignore the content.
Guide Maker
By Seha 2016-06-16 10:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
FYI
And I'm not sure why you're telling me the obvious lol. Are you confused on my stance perchance?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Comment: If you blocked him why respond to him.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 10:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Then why are you quoting that post? And why did you change the point you're trying to make in response to me?

I'm starting more and more to lean on the side of you being a troll. Otherwise noticing you weren't disagreeing with me you would have stopped there, instead you insist on keeping us at opposites. So it's either that or you focus so much on the name of the poster that you ignore the content.

You misunderstood me is what I am saying I understand English is not your native language and I am not faulting you for that. Its Also why I quoted you. I did not change the point, all I said from what I quoted you saying what I wanted, was in fact a wrong interpretation of me and my beliefs or what I want.

I never once said I wanted my religion to write laws and policies and nor do i or would i.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-16 10:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not trolling you i am serious.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-16 10:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You argued with me on the previous page about me saying the state should be laic(which was not directed at anyone before you replied). Yet on this page you agree with me.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-16 10:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I see very little point in debating this now; when you are banned you are banned. The only catching up you need is here.
[+]