Driverless Cars, Good Idea, Horrible Idea?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Driverless Cars, Good Idea, Horrible Idea?
Driverless Cars, Good Idea, Horrible Idea?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-12-18 11:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Some people here remind me of that guy in Port Jeuno who's all skeptic about airships that fly above his head all the time anyway

I'm sure when it finally works, it will be great and useful. Just speaking as someone who works on these kinds of systems, looking at it from an implementation perspective, it seems like an absolute nightmare. Not even from a technological standpoint, but from a behavioral/logical one.

AI as a field is no where near as good as people want to believe it is, despite being explored extensively for around 50 years.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-18 11:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not some theoritic still concept, they've been driving for a while already now.

And I can't wait to possess one!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-18 11:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I'm sure when it finally works
It works, we just won't get it perfect.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-12-18 11:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not some theoritic still concept, they've been driving for a while already now.

And I can't wait to possess one!

In toy scenarios, sure

I want one too, I hate driving and was hoping to be mega-rich so I can hire a chauffeur, but this will do as well
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-12-18 11:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I'm sure when it finally works
It works, we just won't get it perfect.

It works as far as "it drives on roads" but hasn't been extensively tested as far as mass-adoption is concerned

EDIT: The word I'm looking for is "robust" --- it works but is no where even CLOSE to deployable.
 Asura.Ninjaface
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-18 12:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people here remind me of that guy in Port Jeuno who's all skeptic about airships that fly above his head all the time anyway
like, come on guy, It's been 343 years! Airships are sticking around.

edit: it took me a really long time to try to guesstimate how many years have passed in Vana'diel since launch.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 12:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
I love how everyone thinks they are a great driver.

I am, actually. At least as far as the textbook definition goes. My only flaw in this regard is a very hearty disdain for hard and fast speed limits set for lowest-common denominator weather conditions, driver ability/knowledge, and vehicle condition.

Though I also acknowledged your points before you made them about how no one is immune to mistakes, distractions, or lapses in judgment.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-18 12:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

my being a great driver doesn't save me from people who can't drive.

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 12:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna fly my airship myself. I don't like technology. I trust myself.

I would also point out that the two people who have said they trust themselves driving have also conceded the potential benefits of a driverless system and that you're being a bit unreasonable in your desire to mock people who enjoy driving and are cognizant of their own abilities in this regard.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-12-18 12:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Jetackuu said: »
We won't be in cars we can't take control back from probably in our lifetime.

I wouldn't bet on that. Then again with this cough I have, I sound like I could keel over at any moment.
go have some vitamin C.
But I like my scurvy!

lol, I was about to say "go have some vitamin C before it becomes scurvy" but then didn't because I thought I was the only one who found that funny.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 12:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I was about to say "go have some vitamin C before it becomes scurvy" but then didn't because I thought I was the only one who found that funny.

Funny!? This is offensive to pirates!

DO YOU THINK SCURVY IS A *** GAME, LAURELLI!?

Click at your own risk.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-12-18 12:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Funny!? This is offensive to pirates!

DO YOU THINK SCURVY IS A *** GAME, LAURELLI!?

Click at your own risk.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend COR's everywhere.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-18 13:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a super great driver. I drive 20 mph under the speed limit everywhere I go and never crash.

When a pedestrian needs to cross the street, I sit there and wait for them, even if it'll be 20 bloody seconds before he comes anywhere near my car.

And when I make a right turn, I come to a complete stop in the middle of the street, even if there's no light or stop sign.

I'm a super duper great driver

I swear to god jesus buddah allah, 70% of people needs to be banned from driving forever
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 13:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Snark noted, cynicism acknowledged, neither really necessary.

I'm sorry my confidence in my knowledge of traffic procedure and my execution of that knowledge offends.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-18 13:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
I'm a super great driver. I drive 20 mph under the speed limit everywhere I go and never crash.

When a pedestrian needs to cross the street, I sit there and wait for them, even if it'll be 20 bloody seconds before he comes anywhere near my car.

And when I make a right turn, I come to a complete stop in the middle of the street, even if there's no light or stop sign.

I'm a super duper great driver

I swear to god jesus buddah allah, 70% of people needs to be banned from driving forever

Did you know that in certain areas you can actually get ticketed for going 20 under the speed limit? When I visited California with a friend, the highway (and to a bigger extent our crazy *** cab driver) was ridiculously scary lol. I think it was 5-6 lanes in each direction with everyone going about 80 miles an hour. Was the most ridiculous/scary thing I ever saw in terms of traffic. It's probably my fault for coming from a small town in Ohio lol.

The cab driver told us it was normal and that you could be ticketed for going slower than everyone else. "Keep up or get off my highway" is what I think what a cop has been quoted as saying.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 13:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said: »
Did you know that in certain areas you can actually get ticketed for going 20 under the speed limit?

Driving 20 under is by far a greater threat to others than driving 20 over in all but the worst of weather conditions.

But Ihina was just displaying some sarcasm.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-18 13:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This actually bothered me as a pedestrian when I was in college. I don't trust people in cars to stop, so rather than attempt to stop traffic at a crosswalk with no light and 4 lanes of traffic I would stop about 10 feet away and start looking at my phone until the road was clear so that nobody got the idea that I was trying to cross when traffic was heavy. In spite of that, there was occasionally just that one driver that would feel the need to stop anyway while traffic is going in the other 3 lanes and look at me as if I had a legal obligation to cross right now. Or there were the awkward times when traffic was light and only 1 car was around, and that driver would be in a far lane and stop and wait before I even got to the curb instead of, you know, just driving.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-18 13:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

80 scares you?

I don't know what to say about that.

"Keep up or get off my highway" is what I think what a cop has been quoted as saying.

That's interesting because when I was in court fighting off a speeding ticket (that I won *cough*), one other guy tried to use that reasoning and the judge essentially told him that if the speed of traffic is higher than the speed limit and he was moving at the speed of traffic, then he was speeding.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 13:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That's interesting because when I was in court fighting off a speeding ticket (that I won *cough*), one other guy tried to use that reasoning and the judge essentially told him that if the speed of traffic is higher than the speed limit and he was moving at the speed of traffic, then he was speeding.

I have also been told by state troopers in Pennsylvania that "speed of traffic" is an unacceptable excuse for speeding and they will nab the person going the fastest in the group.

This is the same trooper, however, who has told me that he doesn't bother stopping anyone going less than 15 MPH over the limit unless conditions are really bad.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 13:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

This actually bothered me as a pedestrian when I was in college. I don't trust people in cars to stop, so rather than attempt to stop traffic at a crosswalk with no light and 4 lanes of traffic I would stop about 10 feet away and start looking at my phone until the road was clear so that nobody got the idea that I was trying to cross when traffic was heavy. In spite of that, there was occasionally just that one driver that would feel the need to stop anyway while traffic is going in the other 3 lanes and look at me as if I had a legal obligation to cross right now. Or there were the awkward times when traffic was light and only 1 car was around, and that driver would be in a far lane and stop and wait before I even got to the curb instead of, you know, just driving.

In Pennsylvania, at least, you are required to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks where there are not lights. Not that I've ever seen anyone pulled over for not doing so, sadly, but it is a law on the books.

That said, I grew up in a small town where you simply stopped for people in the crosswalks because...likely you knew them anyhow, but even if you didn't whoever you were with probably did.

It's extremely common for people visiting my hometown to comment that they're shocked at people stopping for them in crosswalks.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-18 13:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

In Pennsylvania, at least, you are required to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks where there are not lights. Not that I've ever seen anyone pulled over for not doing so, sadly, but it is a law on the books.

That said, I grew up in a small town where you simply stopped for people in the crosswalks because...likely you knew them anyhow, but even if you didn't whoever you were with probably did.

It's extremely common for people visiting my hometown to comment that they're shocked at people stopping for them in crosswalks.

It's a good law and I understand the point, but if I'm ten feet away, turned away from the street, and clearly not wanting to cross, then it's stupid to be that car that stops a lane of traffic out of principle. If I've got my toes at the edge of the street and I'm staring down cars, then yeah, you need to stop because I'm declaring my right of way.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-12-18 13:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have also been told by state troopers in Pennsylvania that "speed of traffic" is an unacceptable excuse for speeding and they will nab the person going the fastest in the group.

This is the same trooper, however, who has told me that he doesn't bother stopping anyone going less than 15 MPH over the limit unless conditions are really bad.
A friend of mine got ticketed while driving at the speed of traffic. He was not even going a bit faster, just the same as everyone. When he asked the cop "why me if everyone else was going the same speed?" the cop replied "when you go fishing, are you trying to catch all the fish?"
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-18 13:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

"flow of traffic" or "speed of traffic" is to protect you against being ticketed for below minimum speeds on freeways. If there is a traffic jam you can't help it if you're going under the posted minimum. They do not protect you from speeding when everyone else is speeding.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-18 13:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

80 scares you?

I don't know what to say about that.

12 Lanes of traffic all going minimum 80 miles an hour with no such thing as a slow or breakdown lane is extraordinary compared to where I'm from and what I'm used to yes.

80 Itself is not scary. EVERYONE including Granny Smith and Hot Rod John fresh out of high school going 80 is the part that is scary to me.

Post deleted by User.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-18 14:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the type of roadway I've delt with all my life. Farmland for forever, SOMETIMES two lanes in each direction and if your *** goes over that speed limit by more than 5 you're going to get a ticket faster than you can blink.

This is the type of roadway in California I saw and had the displeasure of experiencing 80 miles an hour in lol.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-18 14:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the type of roadway in California I saw and had the displeasure of experiencing 80 miles an hour in lol.
Atlanta is the same way. If I am going 80, something is not right.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-18 15:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend of mine got ticketed while driving at the speed of traffic. He was not even going a bit faster, just the same as everyone. When he asked the cop "why me if everyone else was going the same speed?" the cop replied "when you go fishing, are you trying to catch all the fish?"

Also a valid response, as a cop can't stop everyone at once.

But my sources have said that generally in a group of similar-speed traffic there's almost always one doing 1-2 MPH faster at least that gets culled from the heard, so to speak.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7