Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Adults shouldnt play video games
Adults shouldnt play video games
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-04 09:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone has different tastes in what they like and what they don't. Obviously video games is on the list of what this guy doesn't like, and he is trying to convince others of the same.
By volkom 2015-12-04 09:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-04 10:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Who hasn't met plenty of people like the guy in the vid anyways?

Who cares.

I play Guilty Gear Xrd with friends from all walks of life. Physicians, engineers, IT guys, management. It never stopped people from managing different responsibilities (work, family etc) and leading decent lives.

This reminds me of when I met my cousin recently...haven't seen her for years, and she's 3 years my senior. She tried to joke with me by saying that she remembers when I bought my first HDTV in 2008 "to play Playstation. People buy TVs to watch movies and stuff and you bought it to play Playstation". I was like, really n*gga, you didn't even know what "HD" meant back then (probably still doesn't), but I held myself back and replied in a lighter tone.

I bought that TV to play my newly bought PS3 on it.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who says they don't see the appeal in video games is lying or has an extremely limited scope of understanding, probably deliberately.

I'm not saying they have to enjoy them themselves, just that it's nearly impossible not to see the allure to some people.

It's like people who say they don't understand drug addicts. No want wants to be addicted to drugs. What they want is to feel amazing, and drugs make that happen. To say you don't understand how someone could enjoy them is holding a very narrow view of things.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-12-04 10:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I never tell anyone what my hobby is, my bf sometimes tells people to make me look rediculous (which works i have to admit).
Its even worse when you're a grown woman, sometimes they put articles in newspapers where they spend two pages on female gamers....just the term "female gamers" makes me die inside a little.
The better your education or the more succes in life, social standing you have the stranger the look when people find out that you enjoy playing videogames. Apparently to the broad audience its something for people who suck at life.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
I never tell anyone what my hobby is, my bf sometimes tells people to make me look rediculous (which works i have to admit).
Its even worse when you're a grown woman, sometimes they put articles in newspapers where they spend two pages on female gamers....just the term "female gamers" makes me die inside a little.
The better your education or the more succes in life, social standing you have the stranger the look when people find out that you enjoy playing videogames. Apparently to the broad audience its something for people who suck at life.

The stigma of the "parents' basement 40-year-old fat, single, alone nerd gamer" certainly doesn't help anyone. Even other gamers use it as a pretty vile insult.

You do what you can.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-12-04 10:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem female gamers have AFAIK is that they are generally lumped into the casual/mobile gaming market, so if you're actually into AAA titles, you're probably going for something marketed primarily at men.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 11:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
The problem female gamers have AFAIK is that they are generally lumped into the casual/mobile gaming market, so if you're actually into AAA titles, you're probably going for something marketed primarily at men.

If you say you like "real" games, clearly you're just some *** poser looking to get into some real gamer's pockets to scam him out of his money and break his heart.

Especially if you're attractive, but you're not attracted to him.
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-12-04 11:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

If you say you like "real" games, clearly you're just some *** poser looking to get into some real gamer's pockets to scam him out of his money and break his heart.

You so see through my plans! Gimme that heart and money :D
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 11:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You so see through my plans! Gimme that heart and money :D

I'm a gamer. These are all I have.
[+]
 Valefor.Redenius
Server: Valefor
user: Redenius
By Valefor.Redenius 2015-12-04 11:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

"You're suppose to know how to fix things not play video games." I bet this *** hat can't fix a 40 ton package unit that sits on a three story building that heats and cools it. I'm sure he can't fix a morgue body box before the bodies rot in it. I'm also sure he can't fix a boiler or chiller or know how to use the earth to heat and cool your home. Well I'm an HVAC service technician and I play video games so go fk yourself and lets see what you can fix.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-04 11:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Must tell me what these are and where I can get them!
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-04 12:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The stigma of the "parents' basement 40-year-old fat, single, alone nerd gamer" certainly doesn't help anyone. Even other gamers use it as a pretty vile insult.

You do what you can.

From my experiences, a lot of the time that is pretty accurate. I'm sure that damages the image of "gaming" a lot and probably a big reason many people are put off to it, sadly. Who cares about them though.
By fillerbunny9 2015-12-04 12:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Odd man has dumb opinions about other people's free time.

Why exactly is this anyone's concern?

because medical leave is boring? =/
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 12:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Redenius said: »
"You're suppose to know how to fix things not play video games." I bet this *** hat can't fix a 40 ton package unit that sits on a three story building that heats and cools it. I'm sure he can't fix a morgue body box before the bodies rot in it. I'm also sure he can't fix a boiler or chiller or know how to use the earth to heat and cool your home. Well I'm an HVAC service technician and I play video games so go fk yourself and lets see what you can fix.

Yeah, it's the inane assumption that the two things are mutually exclusive, as if your hobby has to be a second job to be worthwhile?

Sorry I elected for pleasure time instead of a second career...enjoy more money and NO fun, I guess?

Whatever. I'm over this ***.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-04 12:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-04 13:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

that was pretty funny.. once i got past that accent and could understand what the heck he was saying'
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-04 13:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »

that was pretty funny.. once i got past that accent and could understand what the heck he was saying'
Oh Ireland, why don't you speak English?!?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-12-04 14:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Obvious satire with a desire to troll bait is obvious.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-04 15:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

BE A MAN
CRY LIKE A *** BECAUSE YOUR TEAM LOST THE FOOTIE GAME
BEAT YOUR WIFE AFTER SHE FINISHES THE STEAKS
DRINK WHISKY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE
SALUTE THE AMERICAN FLAG
PISS ALL OVER THE TOILET SEATS
FAIL TO PROPERLY WIPE YOUR ***
DRESS IN HAWAIIAN SHIRTS
TUCK THAT GUT OVER YOUR BELTLINE
PUNCH A GUY AFTER HE CUTS YOU OFF ON THE ROAD
 Shiva.Joeyyy
Server: Shiva
user: joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2015-12-04 16:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Spoken like a true 16 year old.. Lol.
What I do in my small space of free time is not the posters concern :p
We adults have to do something at the end of the day to relax too (and we do need the relaxation time lol) once our children are asleep for the night.. :o
The game is getting older so I'm sure there's many adults on there.
Not all adults who play video games in their spare time are the stereotype adult nerds or they sit at home without a job or whatever all day lol.
Oh we do "fix things" also lol. Lots of fixing items in our job ;)
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-04 16:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

In the eyes of the elderly I'm still a "kid".

So it seems to me "adult" is a relative concept.

(especially in the eyes of relatives)
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-04 16:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Joeyyy said: »
Oh we do "fix things" also lol. Lots of fixing items in our job ;)
yeah i agree, what's with fallout constantly wanting me to find leaky valves and fix them? Wish i could find the guy who keeps coming up with random augment armor as content, i'd "fix" him good too..
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-12-04 17:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Must tell me what these are and where I can get them!
Glass rupees and heart containers and triforce, Amazon or ebay
 Cerberus.Logical
Server: Cerberus
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2015-12-04 17:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing what we do - mashing buttons in time to pixelated lighting on a monitor display - is just another hobby to choose from. I mean, there are folks who collect taxidermied roadkill and call it a hobby. At least our pastime involves human interaction, strategy, time management, and logical thinking.

I find this whole line of thinking pretty humorous - playing video games has not stopped many of us on here from obtaining well-paying, personally fulfilling careers. The strategy skills I developed playing video games throughout my life contributed in some form to my ability to practice tax law and engage in affirmative business planning - the element of strategy remains the same. Many of us share similar stories, I'm sure. This just sounds like a researcher trying to advance a controversial position for personal gain. Sure thing, you butthole.
 Shiva.Layowen
Server: Shiva
user: Layowen
By Shiva.Layowen 2015-12-04 17:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol that dude is hilarious. He a comedian out of Hollywood. He just makes troll videos about everything. He has a ton of videos like "Feminism isn't real" and "Being gay is a cult" lol he the owner of Vice Magazine just a super troll
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-04 18:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Layowen said: »
Lol that dude is hilarious. He a comedian out of Hollywood. He just makes troll videos about everything. He has a ton of videos like "Feminism isn't real" and "Being gay is a cult" lol he the owner of Vice Magazine just a super troll
Lol so many people got sucked into this troll haha
By Teumessianfox 2015-12-04 18:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Video games are for all age groups. Now, I agree that there should be a cap on playtime for the of a balanced lifestyle, but age isn't nothing but a number. I've seen families come together because of video games. Perfect example is the Wii system and its games. This clearly doesn't know what he is talking about and should do some constructive research for video games. Assuming people stop playing games, game wont get created, developers lose their jobs, game companies go out of business, retail sales tank, retailers cut jobs, retailers got out of business, unemployment is up, crime is up, national economy crashes.....see the trickle effect?
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-12-04 19:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I can come up with differences when pressed, it just seemed a little repetitious given the point he was -- at least apparently -- trying to get across.
Just trying to cover all the flavors my friend!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-04 19:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Teumessianfox said: »
Video games are for all age groups. Now, I agree that there should be a cap on playtime for the of a balanced lifestyle, but age isn't nothing but a number....
My number is 71.

Balanced? **** no.

For me video games are not merely fun intellectual challenges. They are young and pretty again.