There Will Be A New Star Trek!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » There will be a new star trek!
There will be a new star trek!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-02 19:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

But it will cost you.

New 'Star Trek' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access
The Hollywood Reporter.

Quote:
Alex Kurtzman is attached to the new series, which will premiere in January 2017 on CBS before new episodes debut on its digital and VOD platform.
Quote:
Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek is returning to the small screen.

Prolific producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new Star Trek has been picked up straight to series at CBS, with the premiere slated for the network in January 2017. Subsequent episodes will air on its digital and VOD platform, CBS All Access. The premiere and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, the network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.
The new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

The cross-platform streaming service, which hosts thousands of episodes from CBS' roster (both past and present) is available for $5.99 per month. Included in the fee is the ability to stream the local network live. All previous Star Trek series are currently available on CBS All Access. CBS Studios International will distribute the series for TV and multiple platforms around the world.

The drama is set up at CBS Television Studios and Kurtzman's Secret Hideout banner. Kurtzman and development head Heather Kadin will exec produce. A search is under way for a writer to take on the cult hit. The franchise is poised to celebrate its 50th anniversary as the original series debuted Sept. 8, 1966.

The new Star Trek TV series continues Kurtzman's relationship with the beloved franchise. He produced the Star Trek feature film series, co-writing 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009's franchise revival. The fourth in the franchise set for 2019, though Kurtzman is not attached.

CBS TV Studios distributed the original series, which was produced by Paramount Television and Desilu Productions. Created by Gene Roddenberry and starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, the series ran for three seasons and 79 episodes from 1966-67 on NBC and became a monster hit via syndication. It spawned an animated series (1973-74), a series of feature films — starting in 1979 — and four TV follow-ups including The Next Generation (1987-1994), Deep Space Nine (1993-99), Voyager (1995-2001) and Enterprise (2001-05).

News of a new Star Trek TV series comes as the franchise has been mired in rights issues between CBS and Paramount after Viacom merged with CBS in 2000. CBS Corp. absorbed Paramount for television, while Paramount Studios — the company that distributed the films — went to Viacom.

The Star Trek revival comes as reboots and follow-ups continue to be in high demand on broadcast (and cable/streaming). Kurtzman — and frequent partner Roberto Orci, who is not attached to CBSTVS' Star Trek — is behind CBS' follow-up to Bradley Cooper's Limitless and also exec produces the network's veteran Hawaii Five-0 reboot. The K/O banner currently has four shows on the air — Hawaii, Limitless and sophomore drama Scorpion as well as Fox's Sleepy Hollow. K/O is repped by CAA and Gendler Kelly.
"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before — directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, executive vp and GM at CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2015-11-02 19:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Be nice if this new series is set after the events of The Dominion War and follows a new ship and crew. It'd also be nice to see cameos from Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew as Jean Luc Picard and Kathryn Janeway respectively.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-02 19:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

While this news is exciting, I will certainly not be paying for CBS access. So hopefully they reverse this decision and air this popular series on plain old CBS, or I will just have to pirate it every week. I don't even understand why CBS feels the need to do this, they are far and away the most watched network.
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2015-11-02 20:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I have my doubts. but am (extremely) cautiously optimistic. While the new movies are superb action flicks in their own little way, they're not what I like about the Star Trek TV series, so if its just more of that I'll take a hearty pass on the show.

I grew to love Star Trek for its slow but suspensful take on space exploration, growing up on TNG Star Trek, I never felt it needed to be action packed... I still rewatch the series all the time on netflix and its just as interesting.

I'll give the new show a fair shot when it comes out, I hope its good, but if its more of the "New" Star Trek and less of the old, just not my cup of tea is all...

minus the paying to watch on CBS Access... Kthanksno.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Merton
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Mert
By Quetzalcoatl.Merton 2015-11-02 20:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I look forward to torrenting this.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-11-02 20:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Granted it is only $6 a month but I would find myself not watching any other shows so torrent it is.
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2015-11-02 21:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Be nice if this new series is set after the events of The Dominion War and follows a new ship and crew. It'd also be nice to see cameos from Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew as Jean Luc Picard and Kathryn Janeway respectively.

Be cooler to see cameos from Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway and Jean Luc Picard respectively.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-02 21:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
.... I don't even understand why CBS feels the need to do this, they are far and away the most watched network.
$6/month X how many new subscribers?

As a way to introduce you to their pay services at least.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-11-02 21:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Star treck is that is the one where darth vader flys around in a blue phone box?
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2015-11-02 22:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

"Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Chronicles of Capture Wolf" series? Guess the muffins worked.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-11-02 23:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
.... I don't even understand why CBS feels the need to do this, they are far and away the most watched network.
$6/month X how many new subscribers?

As a way to introduce you to their pay services at least.

Yah honestly, I get the impression it's a bid to have an alternate business model that can compete directly with 'exclusive show' services, like Netflix, HBO/Showtime original series, Amazon, Hulu, etc. no?

It's odd to think that a regular television broadcasting station would need to do this--given the largest ones have traditionally had enough capital to create new shows all the time, so investing in new shows isn't normally as costly or dangerous as it is for Netflix/Amazon, etc.--but the delivery/subscription model is very different for those other cable/online network programs, and is something CBS wants to tap into, I suppose.
By Hiroshima 2015-11-02 23:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
CBS Studios International will distribute the series for TV and multiple platforms around the world.

Go go gadget torrent.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-02 23:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
HBO/Showtime original series
I'd love to see this.

"Captain, the space-time continuum is rupturing. Perhaps if we were to stabilize our thrusters by diverting all our auxiliary power from the lithium crystals, we might be able to use our trajectory to clear the anomaly."

"Data... what the *** did you say?! Does anyone know what the *** this piece of ***is saying?!"

/Troi flashes the camera

edit: I was afraid to do it, but I have to. To get the ball rolling, here is an uncensored Star Trek nudity shot:
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-11-03 06:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Granted it is only $6 a month but I would find myself not watching any other shows so torrent it is.

I refuse to pay for a subscription to a single network, especially when that network still forces advertisements on you.
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2015-11-03 07:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've read about All-Access is the service is shoddy as $#@t. Constant streaming issues.

So yeah, if CBS is smart about this. They'll air it over regular CBS. No one wants to pay $6 a month for just 1 network with a limited (compared to Hulu/Netflix/Amazon) library (sure 6500 seems like a lot of episodes, but I could find 6500 episodes on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon like a drop of water in a bucket).

Outside of the premiere which they've said will be aired on CBS, its exclusively online. So yeah, definitely will be torrents a plenty. If they were smart, they'd air it on Thursday nights at 10, since it seems like their most popular night of programing. Or if they did Saturday nights... since god knows they only do 48 hrs investigations or re-runs of shows then. Saturday nights used to be theirs and theirs alone (specially with Walker Texas Ranger and such)

Way to tick off a popular franchises base CBS/Paramount.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-11-03 07:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
I'd love to see this.

"Captain, the space-time continuum is rupturing. Perhaps if we were to stabilize our thrusters by diverting all our auxiliary power from the lithium crystals, we might be able to use our trajectory to clear the anomaly."

"Data... what the *** did you say?! Does anyone know what the *** this piece of ***is saying?!"

/Troi flashes the camera

edit: I was afraid to do it, but I have to. To get the ball rolling, here is an uncensored Star Trek nudity shot:

Not gonna lie, I would totally watch this. I mean, imagine the horrific deaths waiting for red shirts! They'll long for the days of just getting disintegrated off-screen.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachii
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachii 2015-11-03 07:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Set phasers to maim and torture~ *game of thrones music*
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-03 09:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love to see this.

/Troi flashes the camera

They're DILITHIUM crystals you casual!

I like the idea of a la carte programming. We get free basic cable with our internet and I don't even have a TV connected to it because out of the 25 or so channels we get, about 24 of them have literally nothing I want to watch. But building the infrastructure for an on-demand streaming service is expensive, and separating the cost for every company makes it even less attractive. If you pay 6-10 bucks a month for a half dozen channels you want, you're already paying for cable again.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-03 10:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
I refuse to pay for a subscription to a single network, especially when that network still forces advertisements on you.
Pay TV was supposed to eliminate advertisements.

Somehow it didn't work.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-11-03 13:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
I'd love to see this.

/Troi flashes the camera

Not gonna lie, I would totally watch this. I mean, imagine the horrific deaths waiting for red shirts! They'll long for the days of just getting disintegrated off-screen.
Death by snoo snoo.
[+]