Forum » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » Ads breaking back/forward history via redirects
Ads breaking back/forward history via redirects
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-07-11 09:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Did the ads change recently? At first, I thought it was happening because I upgraded my browser, but I saw it happening on an older version, too.

Whenever a page with ads is visited (cached or new), a series of redirects occur in the ad iframes. If I use the back button, the redirects still happen, clearing my foward history. I have to go backwards multiple steps just to visit the previous page because of the redirects (usually 2 redirects occur).

Turning off JavaScript helps, but that kills the ads entirely, removing revenue from the site. Disabling iframes doesn't seem to help because Opera still downloads/executes disabled iframes.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-07-11 12:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

We're temporarily back to all Google ads for the moment. We rotate out which networks we use at any given time depending on which networks are displaying which ads. Sometimes a questionable ad comes down the pipeline from one of our networks, and we switch over to the other to protect our users until we can figure out the problem.

The redirects are odd though. That's not desirable behavior. Looking into it.

(Looks like an Opera issue. Opera is treating the redirects with the ad iFrames as history actions.)
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-07-11 15:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Firefox