Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Self Light
Self Light
By Bursto 2015-10-18 02:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a blu main but after seeing a rdm manage to self light with CDC->CDC I am curious how easy this is for blu using non mythic weapons. The two jobpoint gifts that increase traits and the amount of haste/dw available make it seem easy to get enough tp, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Thanks.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-10-18 02:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You're going to be making self-light in just about any haste-capped situation and a large amount of the time even without it. BLU has a lot of multi-attack and STP to work with, so you'll be seeing plenty.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-18 04:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Really easy actually. So much multi-hit, haste and store TP that you can chain lights. Also you can do darkness with Req -> CDC. Technically you can multi-step double light, but its generally not worth it cause you gotta use some weaker WS's to make fusion.
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-18 06:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Really easy actually. So much multi-hit, haste and store TP that you can chain lights. Also you can do darkness with Req -> CDC. Technically you can multi-step double light, but its generally not worth it cause you gotta use some weaker WS's to make fusion.

Related questions:

- How much Acc is generally needed to reliably self-light the newer Apex mobs?

- What spell set would be best for these mobs in a PLD, BLU, GEO, SCH, BLM, WHM type setup? Typically for meleeing JP mobs solo, I go with...

Quad. Continuum
Delta Thrust
Barbed Crescent
Blazing Bound
Molting Plumage
Sickle Slash
Tail Slap
Fantod
Sudden Lunge
Diffusion Ray
Empty Thrash
Heavy Strike
Thrashing Assault
Paralyzing Triad
Sinker Drill
Nat. Meditation
Searing Tempest or Anvil Lightning

My thoughts on that set for the above mentioned setup are 1) might want Tenebral Crush for this setup, 2) depending on the target mobs, probably want to bring along Magic Hammer if I want to keep Mighty Guard up, and 3) need to get Erratic Flutter in there, since I won't have Haste II from trusts this time.

Would trading out Paralyzing Triad, Sinker Drill and Searing Tempest for Erratic Flutter, Magic Hammer, Tenebral Crush and Glutinous Dart be the best course of action? While loosing those traits obviously hurts, the main goal is to reliably generate a SC for the mages to MB on. Thoughts on this?
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-10-18 07:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd need to see your gear to make a suggestion about DW tiers.

I believe you'll want your accuracy around 1150 or so, but not entirely sure. I capped hit rate with my regular set and sushi, which is around that.

No, you don't need Tenebral Crush. That's for prolonged fights. You don't want to spend more than 30 seconds per kill on an apex mob to make them worthwhile. Magic Hammer is also not a necessity unless you are just ceaselessly using MP. Refresh from a GEO/RDM or SCH/RDM should be just fine combined with regular Radials from a GEO. Yes, you will need Erratic.

Searing has limited uses in this setup. The INT down can be particularly effective if your mages need help dealing damage, but again you run into wanting to be quickly killing, and casting will detract from that. I'd remove it to make room for an additional accuracy tier IF you find it necessary.

I'd keep Triad and Sinker just because you will still be responsible for contributing damage, and those are two of our best traits for self-light situations. Yes, you want to reliably SC for your mages, but your damage will still contribute to the kill speed of your group. Your largest priorities in self chaining will be capping accuracy and delay reduction, then stacking multi-attack and STP after that.
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-10-18 07:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'm at 1100 with Sushi and Ionis, but no other buffs.

Gear set would probably be something like:

ItemSet 338761

Adhemar is path A, Rawhide is path D, all Taeon has TA+2 augments, legs with 6 STR/DEX and 24 Acc, feet with +4 STR/DEX and 25 Acc, hands with 5 STR/DEX and 17 Acc/Atk... Claid has 14 Acc on it as well.

Able to switch to the Delve DW earrings, I've always just preferred multi-hit. Also have 'Path D' Carmine Greaves, but they'd be a fairly big accuracy loss.

Would like to get away with the CP mantle, obviously - but if it's totally unfeasible, I have Bleating and Lupine.

Outside buffs would be either March/Madrigal or GEO Haste with Topor on the mob (but not both).
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-18 19:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
How much Acc is generally needed to reliably self-light the newer Apex mobs?

Which mobs?

Pugs / Crabs are the highest level and require ~1200 if the pug gets it's evasion buff off. Crawlers / raptors / bats / leeches are slightly lower but only require ~1100 to cap. I cap on those camps in my lowest acc tier and bream sushi without any other acc buffs.