Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-08-12 08:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

But, but...the slippery slope--it's so slippery!!!

Can't you see how slippery it is?! Why can't anyone see how slippery it is? And how starting the slide will just cause more sliding? ;_;

This slipperiness cannot be ignored in our generation or we will be condemned to witness more slipperiness in our lifetimes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 08:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
And yet Pleebo talks about the topic, while some of you haven't even bothered but only came here for snide remarks.

Topic switched to PC-ness which I commented on. Don't you get it, lil miss social justice warrior isn't just fighting to smash gender barriers and bust up the patriarchy. She's fighting to treat the lil tikes with liberal approved respects.

And all those parents who embrace the traditional gender "binary", well they weren't respecting anyone at all, so it's ok to treat them disrespectfully. Greater good and all...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 08:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Besides, telling someone they're making a snide remark is not a snide remark.

Clearly you haven't understood Nausi's oft-repeated "being intolerant of bigotry makes you an intolerant bigot" explanation. There must be something wrong with you.

More liberal double speak. You're only a bigot if you misalign with liberals because when they have an irrational hatred of the patriarchy or the gender binary they're just being good progressives and get a pass.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 08:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
More liberal double speak. You're only a big it if you misalign with liberals because when they have an irrational hatred of the patriarchy or the gender binary they're just being good progressives and get a pass.

If it gives you any peace of mind, Nausi, even I get fed up with the political correctness and extremes of the far left sometimes. I'll rag on your basic principle as a blanket statement, but you're not entirely wrong about some of the extremes on both sides; they want their ideals upheld while being largely intolerant of anyone else's beliefs on a subject.

But on this particular issue I think it's really dumb to keep perpetuating some sort of gender role. Not everyone fits the same mold. It's that simple. Don't force them into it. That's all I'm sayin'.

There's a middle ground to be had that doesn't involve either 1) shoehorning kids into something they aren't and 2) being wishy-washy and turning them into sniveling, soft people who aren't good for themselves or anyone else.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-08-12 08:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So many people without children in this thread...
and yet so many advices on how toraise them.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 08:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

More liberal double speak. You're only a bigot if you misalign with liberals because when they have an irrational hatred of the patriarchy or the gender binary they're just being good progressives and get a pass.

If it gives you any peace of mind, Nausi, even I get fed up with the political correctness and extremes of the far left sometimes. I'll rag on your basic principle as a blanket statement, but you're not entirely wrong about some of the extremes on both sides; they want their ideals upheld while being largely intolerant of anyone else's beliefs on a subject.

But on this particular issue I think it's really dumb to keep perpetuating some sort of gender role. Not everyone fits the same mold. It's that simple. Don't force them into it. That's all I'm sayin'.

There's a middle ground to be had that doesn't involve either 1) shoehorning kids into something they aren't and 2) being wishy-washy and turning them into sniveling, soft people who aren't good for themselves or anyone else.

So where does your line of action end. You have your opinion and are entitled to share it with whomever you want. But in the end that's it. Target gets to make its own decision in regards to this matter and people get to react however they want. In the end, the customers (parents) target has chosen to alienate will ultimately have the final say. Does that sit well with you or should all stores need to comply in order to progress society forward?

Having a gender "binary" isn't "shoehorning" kids into something they aren't. It's not like we live in ancient Sparta where they'd murder the babies that didn't look like warriors. There's plenty of flexibility in the system without bowing to lame *** millenials who make issues out of nothing so that they can feel better about their life's purpose.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-12 08:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not abuot having children, it's about society as a whole.
Telling you that you should use X punishment would be telling you how to raise your child. But thinking what is or isn't restrictive for development isn't, it's much broader a topic.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 09:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Having a gender "binary" isn't "shoehorning" kids into something they aren't. It's not like we live in ancient Sparta where they'd murder the babies that didn't look like warriors. There's plenty of flexibility in the system without bowing to lame *** millenials who make issues out of nothing so that they can feel better about their life's purpose.

But it is shoehorning kids into something they aren't. Some boys are more nurturing by nature and make great stay-at-home dads. Some girls have absolutely zero maternal instincts and are good at ripping engines apart and watching football.

But every time some company takes a regular object and makes it pink so it will be "girlified," it's enforcing that even if women have a common interest in a thing they have to be earmarked as different. And there is zero good, justifiable reason to ostracize them for that.

It happens with adults, too. See: every abomination ever that is a pinked-up version of a sports team's regular jersey.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 09:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Boys and girls are different, and there's no harm in marketing things to girls. If you don't want it, don't buy it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 09:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Boys and girls are different, and there's no harm in marketing things to girls. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

And what if your son wants a baby doll?
By Jetackuu 2015-08-12 09:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

millenials
You're attacking the wrong generation, bub.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-12 09:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
building a bunker in Montana
I forgot to ask, but why Montana?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 09:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

And what if your son wants a baby doll?
Then it'll be my decision if I want to buy him a girls toy or not. The end. What's the problem with it being my decision? Should I not be free to make it?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 09:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
millenials
Really? What gen do you place this on?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-12 09:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you should be absolutely free to do so. Because a parent's duty is to teach his kids morals.

The only problem here is that we strongly disagree with said moral, which in your case is supportive of an antiquated way to perceive genders.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-12 09:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
millenials
Really? What gen do you place this on?
The one in power, and it's not the millennials, yet.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-08-12 09:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

But every time some company takes a regular object and makes it pink so it will be "girlified," it's enforcing that even if women have a common interest in a thing they have to be earmarked as different. And there is zero good, justifiable reason to ostracize them for that.

It happens with adults, too. See: every abomination ever that is a pinked-up version of a sports team's regular jersey.
i must have missed the part where they restricted girls from buying the original thing

surely focus groups have determined that diversifying with a "girlified" product will increase total sales, indicating there is a demand for said "girlified" product
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-08-12 09:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

if a kid wants to pick up something from the pink isle, sure go for it.
girl from the blue isle? go for it.

seen some girls playing with ninja turtles, rc cars and all that. it is not about marketing, but rather than the parents to be flexible and provide to the kids toys without judgement.

dont know why they would target.. Target? instead of attacking the actual toy companies, such as Disney/Marvel/Mattel for nearly deleting female characters from their merchandise.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-08-12 10:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My sister used to like LEGO. She was pretty art driven where I simply enjoyed blowing ***up. At least in my head.

The 'girl' LEGO sets sucked. Rather than encourage creativity, they simply pushed girls into building boring girl things like houses or farmhouse. Guys get fighter planes and action setpieces and girls have the equivalent of plastic Ambien.

She was thrilled about those girl sets until she wasn't. And that's how all my LEGO are belonged to my sister. And I learned that I had all the engineering skills of a fieldmouse.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 10:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't bother. To some people all little girls exist to do is to grow up to become be pretty and become broodmares and sexual playthings, and the only purpose of toys is to educate them to this purpose.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 10:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you should be absolutely free to do so. Because a parent's duty is to teach his kids morals.

The only problem here is that we strongly disagree with said moral, which in your case is supportive of an antiquated way to perceive genders.

Well if you (the greater you) bend over I'll show you where you can shove your opinions about my parenting morals.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 10:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't bother. To some people all little girls exist to do is to grow up to become be pretty and become broodmares and sexual playthings, and the only purpose of toys is to educate them to this purpose.

Disagree with Ramy and you must think girls are only *** in waiting?

Lmfao! To be honest I suspect lots of SJW think in the same lines.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-08-12 10:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Parents aren't bastions of acceptance. That stuff is taught. How? By marketing campaigns and media. However, the media doesn't have the confidence that making male Barbie sets or Marvel female sets will make money because parents have been taught to conform to binary blue v. pink.

So you won't get binary shattering stuff unless someone proves its profitable which means, press companies to make exploratory sets. Or better, buy your daughters crap that isn't a bimbo doll.

Like a Black Widow doll with neck snapping, crotch destroying action. Strap a rocket launcher to her and watch that plastic wall go boom!
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 10:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Your inability to understand connected issues is and has ever been staggering. On this topic and so many others. You live in your own little world where each and every event is its own.

It must be bliss.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 10:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Like a Black Widow doll with neck snapping, crotch destroying action. Strap a rocket launcher to her and watch that plastic wall go boom!

Sounds too much like a feminist. We wouldn't want little girls feeling empowered to be something.

Best just get them a toy kitchen and a baby doll. That's where they really belong.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 10:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Double posted somehow.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 10:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Your inability to understand connected issues is and has ever been staggering. On this topic and so many others. You live in your own little world where each and every event is its own.

It must be bliss.

Target making its asiles blue and pink is totally the cornerstone of the "war on women".

Do the target stores in ISIS controlled states have pink and blue aisles I wonder?
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 10:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Target making its asiles blue and pink it totally the cornerstone of the "war on women".

Again. As Seha stated. It's one small aspect of the issue and it's a positive change. Hopefully just the first. The people blowing this up into a SJW-driven assault on American identity are pathetic.

Do the target stores in ISIS controlled states have pink and blue aisles I wonder?

And again, you fail to see the connection. Of course they don't. They've moved onto this:

Quote:
Marriage and motherhood—not college degrees and careers—are the paramount goals for young girls living in the territory controlled by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the fledgling terrorist organization known as ISIS. And girls need not wait until they’re in their 20s or 30s to attain either goal. That much can be gleaned from a "manifesto" on women that was recently disseminated by the group.

"It is considered legitimate for a girl to be married at the age of nine," the manifesto says. "Most pure girls will be married by sixteen or seventeen, while they are still young and active."

ISIS' role for women

Sounds like your kind of people, Nausi.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 10:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

For the ultra majority of people who exist inside the gender binary perfectly comfortably, there is no problem marketing "boyish" things to boys and "girlish" things to girls. For the small minority's that don't, nothing is forced on them except perhaps having to recognize that maybe they aren't part of the binary. Who cares?

"But nausi, have you ever had to feel like you didn't belong to he binary? It cruel and unusual punishment! We have to ban it."
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 10:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS' role for women

Sounds like your kind of people, Nausi.

I rest my case.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7