Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2015-08-11 18:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this will be harder for me to find what I want though. Now instead of having 2 smaller sections, it will be one big section with everything mixed together, when I could have avoided an entire section if I wanted to. I'm offended that I am being inconvenienced. /sadface
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 19:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

McDonald's boys/girls Happy Meals are next. I can't wait for the My Little Transformers: Megatron is Magic toys.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 19:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
McDonald's boys/girls Happy Meals are next. I can't wait for the My Little Transformers: Megatron is Magic toys.
First time I worked at a McDonalds was in 1998 and we weren't allowed to ask "boy/girl" on toy even back then. a lot of employees still did though.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-08-11 19:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
No more pink aisles = leftist facism removing our freedoms
Do you know what fascism is? One thing about it is it always starts with petty seemingly harmless ***like this. Next thing you know you are ruled under a dictatorship where any freethinking is illegal and disagreeing with the government is considered treason. Just look in history text books, the cycle is starting a new, we are repeating history.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? A company decided to remove unnecessary signage. This will not lead to a new world order, sorry.
It's how Hitler got his start. He tried getting the German populace to stop saying Merry Christmas and start saying Happy Holidays. Three weeks later, boom. Eradication of the Jews.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 19:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Hitler
Obligatory:

[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-11 19:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down, Onorgul. You actually make sense when you're not getting enraged over petty crap that you misinterpret to be way worse than it actually is.
Therein lies the problem: I did read what was there. You folks seem to think that if you say under your breath "I'm going to pretend that what I wrote doesn't mean what I wrote," then it'll become true.

I suspect that what Endoq meant, given she has a long-standing tradition of never expressing a thought in a way that makes sense to other human beings, is that society needs to stop being hung-up on gender norms and stereotypes that fuel insults like "tomboy" and "sissy" (although "tomboy" is a special case since we all know that it's a good thing to aspire to be male). Which is exactly what this campaign aims to reduce.

Given your history, Ravael, I don't trust that you're agreeing with a campaign that removes pointless gendering from toy signage. Maybe you are, but the constant use of sarcasm and "Hey, guy, calm down!" passive-aggressive nonsense makes that hard to believe.

It sure doesn't help matters that pretty much anyone with a functioning brain stem should look at this story and say, "Ok, whatever," at the very worst. It's a sign in a store. I haven't seen Altimaomega's latest sock show up, but I'm sure Nausi will be along with some ridiculous nonsense sooner or later. In the meantime, you guys just fuel his inevitable fire by making these really weak jokes whose inherent mockery belies your own mixed-up feelings about a non-issue.

Just once it'd be nice if people saw a story that has less impact on our lives than tomorrow's weather report and simply didn't respond to it. If this hadn't shown up in the news cycle (by the way, flame-bait OP, this was lighting up my Facebook feed a week ago, where have you been?), I doubt anyone would have even noticed Target making this change. Some things we should worry about when they slip under the radar, but needless extra labels indicating that, yes, the Lego aisle at Target also has the My Little Pony set in amongst the others, is not one of them.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 19:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they're still *** about it now, I can tell you that.

Back when they had Adventure Time toys/some girl-targeted cartoon show toys, I went to buy one for my niece, who wanted Adventure Time.

Pull up to the drive thru.

"I'd like an Adventure Time chicken nugget happy meal."

"Boy or girl?"

"...Adventure Time."

"Boy or girl?"

*headache*
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 19:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Therein lies the problem: I did read what was there. You folks seem to think that if you say under your breath "I'm going to pretend that what I wrote doesn't mean what I wrote," then it'll become true.

That's a weak attempt to justify putting words in other people's mouths. Nobody crowned you with the authority to determine others' intended meanings.

Given your history, Ravael, I don't trust that you're agreeing with a campaign that removes pointless gendering from toy signage. Maybe you are, but the constant use of sarcasm and "Hey, guy, calm down!" passive-aggressive nonsense makes that hard to believe.

Target can do what they want. I'm going to make fun of anyone who buckles under the pressure of social justice warriors, though. Cater to people who whine the loudest over stupid crap and you'll only get more pointless whining over even stupider crap.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 19:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Being a Tomboy or playing with dolls as a boy never actually hurt anyone.
Correct. But those terms and emphasis on those things is harmful when you make it into an issue by pointing out the difference. A difference that you and your society have established and enforced over and over. That poor kid in that situation would have never thought twice about what they are doing but by bringing such ridiculous concepts and terms like "tomboy" into their minds they now will be struggling with identity.

So, everyone is special, unique and a one-of-kind individual. But if you point out they are different, that's damaging. PUH-LEEEZ. Society is broken. People are trying so hard to be progressive that they are going too far into crazy land. Seriously, who do you hang out with? I know girls who talk about being tom-boys when they were kids. None of them are confused or screwed up because of that description. You wanna know what screws kids up? Selfish parents that don't care about their kids or each other. Parents who love and respect each other and teach their children good moral values don't have screwed up kids. End of story.
This activist idiot should get a job, then she'd be too tired to go crying at Target that the signs are pink, blue, green and yellow.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 19:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If not for needlessly assigning gender to everything under the sun this piece of awesomeness could have existed during our childhoods
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 19:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a weak attempt to justify putting words in other people's mouths. Nobody crowned you with the authority to determine others' intended meanings.

Target can do what they want. I'm going to make fun of anyone who buckles under the pressure of social justice warriors, though. Cater to people who whine the loudest over stupid crap and you'll only get more pointless whining over even stupider crap.

So if we whine enough can we make Rooks change the color of his Admin bar from red to blue !
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 20:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Where exactly is this whiny, crying social justice warrior? I saw one customer who made a comment about the sign I posted, which any rational person would agree is completely pointless. I see more teeth-gnashing from the usual crybabies here who lose their ***anytime anything changes.
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
No more pink aisles = leftist facism removing our freedoms
Do you know what fascism is? One thing about it is it always starts with petty seemingly harmless ***like this. Next thing you know you are ruled under a dictatorship where any freethinking is illegal and disagreeing with the government is considered treason. Just look in history text books, the cycle is starting a new, we are repeating history.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? A company decided to remove unnecessary signage. This will not lead to a new world order, sorry.
It's how Hitler got his start. He tried getting the German populace to stop saying Merry Christmas and start saying Happy Holidays. Three weeks later, boom. Eradication of the Jews.
I hope I get assigned some of those spiffy pink triangle accessories once Hitler 2 finally comes to power.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 20:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The personal attacks are tiresome.

the usual crybabies here

Dang, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull this out again:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 20:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The personal attacks are tiresome.

the usual crybabies here

Dang, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull this out again:

[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 20:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Interestingly on topic. Hitler was considered to be unmasculine because he was into art and music and didn't want to go to war originally. But I guess he showed everyone wrong huh. Now what if he never had those stupid concepts and as a result never suffered from delusions of inadequacy.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 20:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet I managed to stay on topic and you yourself even said it was pointless whining. Never change guys. Never change.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 20:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet I managed to stay on topic and you yourself even said it was pointless whining. Never change guys. Never change.
Are you talking to me?

If so, then please show me where I said that.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 20:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you talking to me?

If so, then please show me where I said that.

He was talking to me. At least he didn't try to deny the hypocrisy this time, though. That's a plus.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 20:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've wondered for a while now if boys=blue because of a certain penile blue vein and if girls=pink because of vagina.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 21:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I was referring to the fun new pattern of my on-topic posts being responded to with dribble aimed to goad me into off-topic argument about nothing, which I guess, kudos, worked today (validation achieved!). As much as I do relish the attention and as convenient as it is for you to sidestep having to support untenable positions, it is actually my intent to discuss articles I actually find interesting.

Carry on with high-fiving yourselves for using that particular rebuttal for the 85th useless time.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-11 21:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to make fun of anyone who buckles under the pressure of social justice warriors, though.
And you just confirmed exactly what I had already intuited to be true. Because you've been conditioned to react with cringing, violent loathing towards anything that doesn't uphold the status quo, you're pretending this is some SJW screed causing a major corporation to tremble in fear.

You totally missed the latter half of that post I wrote, huh? The one where I said this was a simple, non-controversial change that you only know about because the news media thrives on your outrage. Congratulations, you're every bit as culpable as the SJWs.

I've wondered for a while now if boys=blue because of a certain penile blue vein and if girls=pink because of vagina.
... Are you serious? They're both completely arbitrary. Pink just became a fashionable women's color in the 1920s (roughly). It's literally as simple as that. Pink is presently a fashionable color for men to wear. It's fashion, there's no hidden agenda or meaning involved.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 21:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was referring to the fun new pattern of my on-topic posts being responded to with dribble aimed to goad me into off-topic argument about nothing, which I guess, kudos, worked today (validation achieved!). As much as I do relish the attention and as convenient as it is for you to sidestep having to support untenable positions, it is actually my intent to discuss articles I actually find interesting.

Carry on with high-fiving yourselves for using that particular rebuttal for the 85th useless time.
And congratulations for ignoring your issue for the 85th time too!

By the way, you are not important enough for us to want your validation, so you can keep it for yourself.

Oh, by the way, the only one here who supports untenable positions is you, Mr. "No more pink aisles = leftist fascism removing our freedoms"

Who made that argument again? Oh right, nobody did.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 21:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Who here is talking to you? Lol. And yes that argument was made. Try back reading.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 21:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

And yes that argument was made. Try back reading.
I'm guessing you are referring to this post which is not even remotely close to what he was saying.

But hey, anything to sound the pleebo alarm, right?

inb4: "But he used 'left' 'fascism' 'removing' 'freedoms' in somewhat that order, so of course he was talking about what I said!" excuse.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 21:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

And you just confirmed exactly what I had already intuited to be true. Because you've been conditioned to react with cringing, violent loathing towards anything that doesn't uphold the status quo, you're pretending this is some SJW screed causing a major corporation to tremble in fear.

Yeah, because joking around with Fonewear and making fun of Target is exactly the same as cringing, violent loathing. The hyperbole is strong with this one.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-11 21:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 21:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

... Are you serious? They're both completely arbitrary. Pink just became a fashionable women's color in the 1920s (roughly). It's literally as simple as that. Pink is presently a fashionable color for men to wear. It's fashion, there's no hidden agenda or meaning involved.

I'm seriously
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 21:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that unrealistic to think that could be why those colors were picked...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 21:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that unrealistic to think that could be why those colors were picked...
More like a marketing tool.

Oh noes, evil corporations are warping our minds, let's riot!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7