Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-08-11 10:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I trolled the facebook link to this article big time. Seems a lot of people had issues w/ this change, and I got about a good hour's worth of entertainment off of them
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 10:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
I'm just saying that physical handicap > hurt feelings.

I'm just saying there's no need to make this a "my problem is worse than your problem" debate.

They're both problems and one need not be fixed by excluding the other.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 10:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I trolled the facebook link to this article big time. Seems a lot of people had issues w/ this change, and I got about a good hour's worth of entertainment off of them

Yes, because a lot of people place foolish social/cultural value on keeping women earmarked as brood mares for the state, teaching them to care for babies and dress nice and pretty from the second prenatal testing that will tell you the gender of the child.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-08-11 10:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

gender roles will exist as long as hormones do, and it's impossible to raise a child into a functional adult without any influence of any sort

sure, there's no reason girls should be exposed to dolls and romanticized to the thought of marrying and having children

but there's no reason to avoid it either, it's not a life path that anyone should be ashamed of or pitied for

i'd argue exposing a kid to your super-liberal feels viewpoint does worse damage to their mentality than giving them a doll instead of a ball and painting their room pink does
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 10:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
but there's no reason to avoid it either, it's not a life path that anyone should be ashamed of or pitied for

But it's not an idea that should be planted in their head from infancy, and it shouldn't be constantly presented as the "right" choice.

And it is in both of those things as presently constituted.

It's not "planting asuper-liberal feels viewpoint," as you put it, turning this into a partisan issue where it shouldn't be.

It's allowing them the choice to be the person they want to be.

Regardless of gender, if they want to play with dolls or Lego or action figures, a baseball, whatever. Let them. They're children. Let them explore their environments and be themselves.

Chances are they'll gravitate toward what their peers do anyhow with time, sadly. At least allow them the chance to choose.
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2015-08-11 16:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

To me - for toys, I can understand somewhat I guess. They're just toys, not clothing (yet...)

Although as a parent I'm not going to buy my son barbies, because just no and it's not how I will raise my kids. There are certain things I feel kids can choose on their own and other things they should not. Why? Because they are kids and need guidance, they aren't adults yet.

I have many reasons, one being kids are cruel and can have a huge influence on other kid's self esteem and self image. For example one kid making fun of a boy for playing with barbies can have a long term impact on their social development.

Something that kind of ticks me off though, is how fast companies jump to a seemingly small amount of people that don't agree with something. I feel like these days if one person doesn't like something, everything needs to change and everyone else just needs to deal with it.

While I'm not completely against this specific situation, because it won't really affect me in any way, and I don't think it's a big deal, I do feel like many changes lately are being FORCED. We need to relax a little bit and stop making big deals over small things.

People as a whole need to grow some thicker skin and stop being so sensitive.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 16:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

gender should be assigned to penises and vaginas.. that's pretty much where gender ends and begins. It weird to me and I see it as a sexual obsession when our society assigns gender to all this other crap. It's no wonder that kids are confused about gender when we assign gender to pretty much every damn thing there is that has actually nothing at all to do with gender.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 16:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

But it's not an idea that should be planted in their head from infancy, and it shouldn't be constantly presented as the "right" choice.

And it is in both of those things as presently constituted.

Parents impose their value systems on their kids all the time. When it's one we agree with, it's "good parenting" and "common sense". When it's one we don't agree with, it's "indoctrination" and "brainwashing".

I agree that kids should have freedom to be who they want to be, but right and wrong are always going to be taught from the parents' perspectives.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-08-11 16:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Here comes the "Actually" police...

Wee woo wee woo wee woo!!

Sex is the appropriate term to describe someone's alignment according to genitalia. Gender is a term used to describe the social connotations that come with sex. In other words:

Sex = Penis or vagina
Gender = Social norms

That is all.

Wee woo wee woo wee woo!!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-11 16:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Should let them play with whatever they want(that isn't dangerous), in the end they will still gravitate towards what they're more comfortable with.

All the girls in primary school wanted to play with dressup dolls. I didn't like them, I found that game boring, so I played with spiderman toys(only the baddies actually, never Spiderman himself..)and similar toys and invent adventures, or would play soccer with the boys. I had a Barbie doll, but I didn't know what to do with her, brushing her hair and changing her clothes didn't feel fun and creative which was what I wanted to get out of my games instead. And it bothered me to no end that I looked like Barbie, cause I had all these amazing characters with superpowers and they were all dudes..only girl doesn't have any power and can't do anything. Barbie only has the power of a bottomless credit card. Which is great, but not for a kid!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-08-11 16:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

@ 1:50
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-11 16:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

So pink is for boys and blue is for girls, right?

Wait, that sounds wrong? I'm just quoting what was standard practice at the turn of the 20th century. Pink, being a derivation of red, was seen as considerably more masculine, whereas soft blues were feminine.

Tell me again how gender isn't a cultural construct?

There are genuine differences between the sexes. The funny thing is that we don't require outside influence for them to manifest. When Israel became a state, it started a grand experiment. They raised kids together, boys and girls, and treated them in the same manner. There was no gender separation, everyone learned everything, played with everything. There have been many fascinating insights into human development as a result of this experiment.

On the subject of gender, though, when it comes to the roles that people opt to take, the kids raised in this way ended up more gender-segregated and gender-stereotypical than the rest of the population, meaning the women raised this way opted to maintain the household while the men went out and did difficult and dangerous work. There were exceptions, but there are some strong evolutionary-biological reasons why those roles have developed.

Which makes for a bit of a catch-22 with all the shitbags whining about removing gender from things. See, although they'll never admit it openly, they want everyone to conform to gender stereotypes. What this proves, though, is that the best way to achieve that effect is to remove gender modeling from childhood. If you're so concerned that men should be men and women should be women and whaa-whaa-whaa-whatever, give kids wooden toys and teach them all how to climb trees and bake cookies.

Can't win for losing.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 16:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Should let them play with whatever they want(that isn't dangerous), in the end they will still gravitate towards what they're more comfortable with.

All the girls in primary school wanted to play with dressup dolls. I didn't like them, I found that game boring, so I played with spiderman toys(only the baddies actually, never Spiderman himself..)and similar toys and invent adventures, or would play soccer with the boys. I had a Barbie doll, but I didn't know what to do with her, brushing her hair and changing her clothes didn't feel fun and creative which was what I wanted to get out of my games instead.
In the US they would call you a "tomboy" and that's the kind of ***that actually makes kids confused. And if this were reversed a boy would be called a sissy or something to that effect, regardless of the fact the kid is too young to even be thinking about sex, but now the damage is done and that kid will be needlessly questioning his or her gender identity at way too young of an age.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 16:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

All the girls in primary school wanted to play with dressup dolls. I didn't like them, I found that game boring, so I played with spiderman toys(only the baddies actually, never Spiderman himself..)and similar toys and invent adventures, or would play soccer with the boys. I had a Barbie doll, but I didn't know what to do with her, brushing her hair and changing her clothes didn't feel fun and creative which was what I wanted to get out of my games instead.
In the US they would call you a "tomboy" and that's the kind of ***that actually makes kids confused. And if this were reversed a boy would be called a sissy or something to that effect, regardless of the fact the kid is too young to even be thinking about sex, but now the damage is done and that kid will be needlessly questioning his or her gender identity at way too young of an age.

Yeah, it can be rough on a kid. Especially when there are commercials like this. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a boy after seeing this?

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 16:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
We never want guests or their families to feel frustrated or limited by the way things are presented. Over the past year, guests have raised important questions about a handful of signs in our stores that offer product suggestions based on gender. In some cases, like apparel, where there are fit and sizing differences, it makes sense. In others, it may not. Historically, guests have told us that sometimes — for example, when shopping for someone they don’t know well — signs that sort by brand, age or gender help them get ideas and find things faster. But we know that shopping preferences and needs change and, as guests have pointed out, in some departments like Toys, Home or Entertainment, suggesting products by gender is unnecessary.

We heard you, and we agree. Right now, our teams are working across the store to identify areas where we can phase out gender-based signage to help strike a better balance. For example, in the kids’ Bedding area, signs will no longer feature suggestions for boys or girls, just kids. In the Toys aisles, we’ll also remove reference to gender, including the use of pink, blue, yellow or green paper on the back walls of our shelves. You’ll see these changes start to happen over the next few months.
http://m.snopes.com/2015/08/10/target-removing-gender-labels/

Wow, such extreme wow.
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm offended that people are offended by this !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Target caved into to the vocal minority that gives a ***about this stuff.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-11 17:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

but now the damage is done and that kid will be needlessly questioning his or her gender identity at way too young of an age.
Oh, look, someone wants to tread down the same HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE road about gender identity that has been spouted about sexual identity for decades.

"Oh ***, if I know that girls exist, I'll definitely wanna be one!" Because that's literally the level of mind-boggling stupidity involved in this statement.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 17:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
but now the damage is done and that kid will be needlessly questioning his or her gender identity at way too young of an age.
Oh, look, someone wants to tread down the same HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE road about gender identity that has been spouted about sexual identity for decades.

"Oh ***, if I know that girls exist, I'll definitely wanna be one!" Because that's literally the level of mind-boggling stupidity involved in this statement.
Way to remove my quote out of context and add your own.
Next time just post your own thought and leave my out of context words out...lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 17:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down, Onorgul. You actually make sense when you're not getting enraged over petty crap that you misinterpret to be way worse than it actually is.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused my avatar is a woman and I'm a man ? Somebody help me out. What the hell am I ?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When asked by a gender neutral activist they said: This doesn't make me feel one way or the other.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 17:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm confused my avatar is a woman and I'm a man ? Somebody help me out. What the hell am I ?
Elvira Minx, Mr of the Dark.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

But really I wish companies had the guts to say no to things like this. They don't have to cave in cause some random people were offended.

No one is shocked that the woman that complained about this is a feminist with purple hair...

From her twitter:

https://twitter.com/abianne

Feminist | Episcopalian | MFA-ist | Fatass | Purveyor of fine personal essays, mostly re. butts | Alleged sexual libertine & conversational terrorist | She/her
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never met a feminist that has normal hair color. It is I guess how they can identify each other. Has to be red purple green etc. So when you see them in public you can avoid them !

And yet Target gave int cause of this "activist"

From time:

http://time.com/3991166/target-viral-tweet-about-boys-and-girls-toys/

One afternoon at the playground a few years ago, my then 5-year-old was hot, dusty, and flawless, with red glitter fingernail polish that sparkled in the sunlight. My kids had teamed up with some older boys, and they were all playing happily in the clubhouse when one of the older boys asked: “Don’t you know nail polish is for girls?”

My 5-year-old shrugged and replied, “Nah, anyone can wear nail polish if they like it. It looks really cool!” He held out his fingers for the older boys to see. “Look how sparkly it is!” They crowded around. “Yeah, it does look pretty cool,” one of them agreed. “It kind of looks like lava,” said another. And then they all went back to pretending the clubhouse was a pirate ship in shark-infested waters.

Being a feminist parent of sons often feels like its own journey through shark-infested waters. Our society is constantly telling kids how they’re expected to perform girlhood or boyhood, and so my partner and I spend a lot of time trying to help our boys to unlearn these messages.

That’s why when I was toy shopping in Target a few months ago and noticed the “building sets/girls’ building sets” aisle sign, I rolled my eyes and tweeted a picture.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-11 17:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

But really I wish companies had the guts to say no to things like this. They don't have to cave in cause some random people were offended.
The world would rather protect their money and not be sued/put out of business because they spoke out against this leftist fascism sweeping over the world that is taking away basic freedom while claiming to be a movement of liberation.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The world would rather protect their money and not be sued/put out of business because they spoke out against this leftist fascism sweeping over the world that is taking away basic freedom while claiming to be a movement of liberation.

I understand the business aspect but sometimes you have to stand on principles. You can't let these "activists" dictate to you how to run your company...

As far as I'm concerned companies should avoid all such movements that are backed by feminists...
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-11 17:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No more pink aisles = leftist facism removing our freedoms
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 17:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pleebo's an expert on such issues. That's why he only posts if certain buzzwords set off the alarm in his house.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-11 17:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should ban the words pink and blue they are offensive.

I think we should institute gray only kids clothing. If you are offended by gray well that's too bad.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7