Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
Target Phasing Out Gender-Based Colors
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-11 09:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Target To Begin Phasing Out Gender-Based Signs And Colors

Target is saying goodbye to gender-based signs in certain departments of its stores.

The retailer says it will no longer use color-codes like pink, blue, yellow and green to distinguish toys and bedding for boys and girls.

Target says, “We never want guests or their families to feel frustrated or limited by the way things are presented. Over the past year, guests have raised important questions about a handful of signs in our stores that offer product suggestions based on gender.”

Target says the change is largely due to feedback from customers.

Some of the changes will take place over the next few months.

Source
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Good call.

Hope others take up this policy.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it strange to waste time/money on, but let'em.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So, Target has to stop targeting customers because of hurt feelings. Interesting.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
So, Target has to stop targeting customers because of hurt feelings. Interesting.

If you can't read a sign that says "boys" or "girls" for clothes, that's on you, not them.

Gender-based toys have always been stupid.

They may not change the toys companies make, but they can present them as gender-neutral.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

If you can't read a sign that says "boys" or "girls" for clothes, that's on you, not them.

Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-11 09:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But how will I know what's suitable for boys vs girls?

Okay! Thanks, Internet!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

Okay! Thanks, Internet!

Saw the image a while back. Saved it on my PC at home and would have posted it, but I'm at work.

Love that image.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-11 09:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

Okay! Thanks, Internet!

Saw the image a while back. Saved it on my PC at home and would have posted it, but I'm at work.

Love that image.

I seem to need it far more often than I should.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Holy *** dog balls.

Do you have any idea? My wife and I had a completely inappropriateperfectly appropriate and intense level of outrage when we saw the commercial for that the first time. It touched a serious nerve.

"Oh, girls never liked NERF guns, clearly.* I've NEVER seen a little girl play with one!* MAYBE IF WE MAKE THEM PINK AND SASSY!"

*utter, total ***
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I just said it's interesting since the store's name is Target. Also, if they are just changing the color, what difference does it make? If parents want to buy Barbies for their boy, and the sign reads "Girls." who cares if it's pink or any other color. It still telling you those are girl toys and just as "limiting."
The colors just make things easier to find for people with bad eyesight and can't read words from far. But I guess no one cares about people with real problems.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-11 09:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

My niece specifically asks for the Rebelle weapons so the nephews won't steal them from her.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

My daughter is getting all sorts of toy weapons when she's a bit older.

She already tries to play with my nephew's.

She makes me take his:

and shoot other family members with it. (she can pick it up but barely can aim it, etc.)
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerf Rebelle is x-bows, right? If I was a little boy, I'd want one too.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-11 09:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Just why is this news worthy? Who cares what colour signs are. I like blue more than pink but I don't find it offensive that women clothes or something are labeled in pink. Nor has this made grow up favouring pink, I still like blue more.

People need to stop making a big deal about inconsequential things.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a Nerf bow as a kid, miss that thing. (broke it all to hell)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-11 09:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Going outside with toy guns and pewing friends sounds like a fun activity. I wish I could have done that as a child.

Would play laser tag but that doesn't exist here, and the paintball shooting thing is too messy(and surprisingly expensive). Eh.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Just why is this news worthy? Who cares what colour signs are. I like blue more than pink but I don't find it offensive that women clothes or something are labeled in pink. Nor has this made grow up favouring pink, I still like blue more.

The reason it's news worthy is because it is an inconsequential thing and people made a big thing about it. If Target hadn't already been kicked out of Canada, I wouldn't shop there anymore. I have bad eyesight, when I walk into a store, I look for the blue signs and start walking. But since a vocal minority found color coding offensive, people with a legitimate problem have to get shafted.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Going outside with toy guns and pewing friends sounds like a fun activity. I wish I could have done that as a child.

Would play laser tag but that doesn't exist here, and the paintball shooting thing is too messy(and surprisingly expensive). Eh.

Yeah, I have some of these at home:

From when I was much younger, I think one or two still works the rest need repairs as they weren't taken care of. I didn't have the skills to fix them then (tried) and now I just don't have the space/time.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If parents want to buy Barbies for their boy, and the sign reads "Girls." who cares if it's pink or any other color. It still telling you those are girl toys and just as "limiting."

As I read it, it's saying they won't split toys up into "boys" and "girls" sections anymore, but maybe I'm mistaken.

The colors just make things easier to find for people with bad eyesight and can't read words from far. But I guess no one cares about people with real problems.

Problems are not a zero-sum game. Preconceived gender roles are a problem. They don't detract from the visually deficient even a little bit.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, well.

Try going to a women's or girl's clothing store in the U.S. and find things that 1) fit 2) are at least somewhat in style and 3) don't have pink and/or floral/animal print/glitter or rhinestones.

Let me know how that goes for you.

Preconceived gender bias is a problem that exists. Forcing these options on girls from birth -- literally; example: like when a ball gets put in the crib with a baby boy and a doll is put in the crib with a baby girl -- is a cultural trend that needs to end.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have bad eyesight, when I walk into a store, I look for the blue signs and start walking. But since a vocal minority found color coding offensive, people with a legitimate problem have to get shafted.

Okay, so, I was right above. You've got the zero-sum game mindset, "my problems are real, yours aren't."
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

But the only thing target is changing is the color of the signs. Literally everything else is staying the same. Thus making the whole endeavor the useless.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a Nerf bow as a kid, miss that thing. (broke it all to hell)

Yeah, but ours were ***compared to the new ones. I had that bow too. The one with the footlong+ foam darts?

That thing was cool at the time, but compared to the new ones? Get the *** out.

*looks around for anyone who considers themselves an adult, and deems it safe*

I'm not, uh.

I'm not above swinging through the toy section and buying a Nerf gun now and then a few times a year myself. <_<;
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-11 09:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have bad eyesight, when I walk into a store, I look for the blue signs and start walking. But since a vocal minority found color coding offensive, people with a legitimate problem have to get shafted.

Okay, so, I was right above. You've got the zero-sum game mindset, "my problems are real, yours aren't."
You were not right. You know nothing about me. I give of myself all the time to help others. I'm just saying that physical handicap > hurt feelings.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

But the only thing target is changing is the color of the signs. Literally everything else is staying the same. Thus making the whole endeavor the useless.

There's a first step for everything.
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-08-11 09:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It also hurts ... specially when you get shot in the balls 3 times in a row.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The one with the footlong+ foam darts?
Pretty sure this is it:

I mean I tossed that thing out many years ago.

I'm sitting here now trying to find a newer laser tag game, and apparently the ones they have now are total ***. I may try to find a guy with a 3d printer and make my own.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-11 09:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Target will do anything to get back in America's good graces after the credit card fiasco.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7