Thinking Of Returning To XI - 2+ Yrs Away!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Thinking of returning to XI - 2+ yrs away!
Thinking of returning to XI - 2+ yrs away!
 Lakshmi.Kathee
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Brei
By Lakshmi.Kathee 2015-07-19 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Is it just impossible to have a thread without a fight? NEWS AT 11.

Anyway, no more of that.

Jetackuu said: »
both of you come to bahamut

I still have friends on Lakshmi, for the 30 minutes a week I get to play.

I want some of those minutes, Mr Rooks.
[+]
 Fenrir.Badda
Server: Fenrir
user: Badda
By Fenrir.Badda 2015-07-19 15:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all of the comments guys - it's really appreciated to see the forums are still helpful.
Taking everything into consideration, I'll give it a go soon - look out for me!!
Be kind lol.... Its been a long time!
I'll be returning to Fenrir- with the scope to join a friend on another server, just wanna check in on my life long server and see who's still around - if anyone!?

Thanks again
[+]
By missdivine 2015-07-19 20:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't bother to come back until November, community and social interaction is very little-to-non-existent, and you will feel lonely doing any content. I like playing with lots of people this is why I don't play ffxi anymore. Only hardcore players remains and they use over 3+ mules to get things done (because the lack of players on each server(which is sad). There is popular private server tho. Way better than retail servers/cap 75 with a huge and healthy player base. Multiplayer gaming is important to me on a mmorpg , Doesn’t worth to comeback and pay 13$ just to play with npcs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Badda
Server: Fenrir
user: Badda
By Fenrir.Badda 2015-07-19 20:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 2 main accounts geared very well until I stopped playing, and plenty of mules.
Ran a successful LS doing various alliance and low man events.
The private server sounds interesting though, got any further details?
By missdivine 2015-07-19 20:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

http://supernovaffxi.wikia.com/wiki/Supernova
[+]
By Nyruul 2015-07-19 20:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Depends on what you mean by "last". Content ends in November. Will inevitably be a steady decrease in subscribers from around December/January on. Maybe a small resurgence here and there for campaigns and other things, maybe a spike when the mobile version releases... but a steady decrease nonetheless.

The question is when does it become too low a number for SE to keep the servers going, or when does the business model change to try to bring people back in.

If you can't determine what I mean from what I wrote here it is again. lol

Nyruul said: »
Also who knows how long this game lasts after ps2/360 support is dropped.

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The question is when does it become too low a number for SE to keep the servers going, or when does the business model change to try to bring people back in.

This is what I meant.

Always the discerning one.
By Draylo 2015-07-19 21:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that sounds horrid, especially all the server instability. Why anyone would wanna play that over retail is beyond me. Even easier to play 75 type stuff on retail over that.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Skeelo2412 2015-07-20 00:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

dont
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-07-20 00:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

missdivine said: »
I wouldn't bother to come back until November, community and social interaction is very little-to-non-existent, and you will feel lonely doing any content. I like playing with lots of people this is why I don't play ffxi anymore. Only hardcore players remains and they use over 3+ mules to get things done (because the lack of players on each server(which is sad). There is popular private server tho. Way better than retail servers/cap 75 with a huge and healthy player base. Multiplayer gaming is important to me on a mmorpg , Doesn’t worth to comeback and pay 13$ just to play with npcs.

A 'healthy player base'? None of the DSP servers ever have more than 100 on, and that's figuring in people who multibox due to it being free. Throw in all the bugs, server crashes, unimplemented features.. only kids who can't afford the monthly fee and the actual devs play on those.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-07-20 01:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't bother to come back until November, community and social interaction is very little-to-non-existent

Can you explain to me the spam in /l /l2 and /u every single day when i return from afk to me then.
Or how a LS named Reddit had to expand to a 2nd LS named RedditGold (or something like that) just to not turn other ppl down that doesnt fit in 1st LS anymore due to no more room in LS1?

Less shouts doesnt mean less ***going on - just less ***to shout for since ppl crawl back into their mass LSs and are prolly training the nubs from FREE LOGIN campaign that subscribed later on. Just because you stalk the ah.com frontpage shouts and dont see what you want/need doesnt really mean ppl dont do anything - but that has been said like over a hundred times.
If you like to wait for shouts to make progress with a mass raid and be Mister Anonymus who got lucky with a super rare drop youll never put to a real use anyway, dont come back.

Also 1.1k online at JST midnight yesterda for whats it worth.

Joined 2 Months ago again after a longer break - still getting ***done and making cash off AH and bazaaring. No i dont quadruble box - i behave social and give more answer then "Wiki it!" if someone asks something.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-07-20 01:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Skeelo2412 said: »
dont

Quote:
Xi has kept me entertained for about 10 years, XIV can only keep me entertained for about 3 months at a time. Saying XIV is even in the same league as XI as far as game play and staying non repetitive is ridiculous.

Funny how fast people change their minds lol.
By Nyruul 2015-07-20 06:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azriel said: »
Can you explain to me the spam in /l /l2 and /u every single day when i return from afk to me then.

Asura.Azriel
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-20 06:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

A 'healthy player base'? None of the DSP servers ever have more than 100 on, and that's figuring in people who multibox due to it being free. Throw in all the bugs, server crashes, unimplemented features.. only kids who can't afford the monthly fee and the actual devs play on those.

You're not wrong about the number or people, the bugs, and unimplemented features, though from what I hear it's regularly worked on. From having watched a few shells on there tackle some of the HNM, can't say I have experienced any crashes, but I haven't been on there often enough to make a claim that it's reasonably stable.

The appeal to it should be obvious though, there is quite a lot of people who enjoyed the 75-cap era, and want to properly experience it again. The experience offered at the moment isn't the same of course, with the bugs and whatnot; however those bugs won't exist forever, so people are progressing their characters for when the servers are running well, and/or helping out with coding, etc.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2015-07-20 06:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What's up with these people saying it's not worth it for 13 bucks a month? 13 dollars is a lot??

If you are active some people will join you. No one needs to play alone. Just do a shout, if people want the things you need they will join. Just people need to be proactive when shouting and joining something. If people sit around hoping someone shouts for something they want of coz they might be afk all night.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-20 07:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Only hardcore players remains and they use over 3+ mules to get things done (because the lack of players on each server(which is sad).
There's plenty of people on each server.

I can't speak for other people who use 3 characters but I do it because I like to, no other reason.

(To be fair, I made the third for another person and they stopped playing so I just kept up with it).
 Asura.Rinuko
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-07-20 07:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

As if it's worth to come back? Very depending on what you value in the game. I returned 4ish months ago and still find something to do. Lately alot seem to ditch XI for Heavensward but imagine a lot will return for RoV part 2 in august update.

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
I'm pretty sure most of the EU community is gone on Fenrir so you'd probably have to go elsewhere
There is a few on Asura, but most part players from US in my experience
By missdivine 2015-07-20 09:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azriel said: »
Quote:
I wouldn't bother to come back until November, community and social interaction is very little-to-non-existent

Or how a LS named Reddit had to expand to a 2nd LS named RedditGold (or something like that) just to not turn other ppl down that doesnt fit in 1st LS anymore due to no more room in LS1?

Less shouts doesnt mean less ***going on - just less ***to shout for since ppl crawl back into their mass LSs and are prolly training the nubs from FREE LOGIN campaign that subscribed later on. Just because you stalk the ah.com frontpage shouts and dont see what you want/need doesnt really mean ppl dont do anything - but that has been said like over a hundred times.
If you like to wait for shouts to make progress with a mass raid and be Mister Anonymus who got lucky with a super rare drop youll never put to a real use anyway, dont come back.

Also 1.1k online at JST midnight yesterda for whats it worth.

Joined 2 Months ago again after a longer break - still getting ***done and making cash off AH and bazaaring. No i dont quadruble box - i behave social and give more answer then "Wiki it!" if someone asks something.
Last time i checked Asura had 412 online. 1.1k JST (that's very low) is nothing.
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-07-20 09:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently 998 ppl online wich is good for a 10+ year old game imho

Last game that old i checked was D2 and after 10 years it had 5 games up with, lets be honest, 10 ppl online and one wanting to kill your Cowking on Nightmare?
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-07-20 09:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Might be your time zone? I usually only see 1.1-1.2k type numbers when you have decent crossover between regions and common playtime - Saturday mornings for example - but usual ESTish evenings tend to be in the 650-750 range.

Either way, as mentioned, there's lots that can potentially be done with only a handful of people, or solo.
[+]
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-07-20 09:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I was referring to the claim of Asura having 412 on, which is lower than I've personally seen it outside of post-patch or something (Heavensward launch week came close though).

However, I mostly play in EST, so it may well be that peak EU times see fewer people or something.

'course, it's not like the JP populations and all are irrelevant, since if nothing else it means there's more of an economy.
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-07-20 09:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Your truth, my truth, the truth. Input has been given, with current population as of now are more then 400 online.
You judge if it is wrong or valid for you.

Carry on.
 Asura.Rinuko
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-07-20 09:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

During EU primetime its normal to see 600+ which is okey i think
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-20 10:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That 600ish number is what I've been seeing in CST playtime as well. I have never seen 400 on Asura aside from post-patch as people are logging back in.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-07-20 10:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Badda said: »
Thanks for all of the comments guys - it's really appreciated to see the forums are still helpful.
Taking everything into consideration, I'll give it a go soon - look out for me!!
Be kind lol.... Its been a long time!
I'll be returning to Fenrir- with the scope to join a friend on another server, just wanna check in on my life long server and see who's still around - if anyone!?

Thanks again

Keep in mind, pugs are dead. If you are depending on pugs then you are going to be disappointed. I never liked doing stuff with pickup groups, because (at least on Sylph) they are run by some of the server's worst players. But it's not even an option anymore. I've done two pugs in the last three months. The pug shouts are all the same two or three Unity fights or Vagary, and it's the same lazy setups- now featuring beastmaster instead of ranger, for the most part. No thanks!
[+]
 Leviathan.Mckeag
Server: Leviathan
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2015-07-20 12:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Half those people are sitting afk mules
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-07-20 13:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

700 here, must suck to be on your server.

Edit: I can give you an hourly update to compare the effort to yours, since its that important to you to have a full scale view. We wont hit any numbers lower then 400 for longer tho
 Phoenix.Ryamatsu
Server: Phoenix
user: Ryamatsu
By Phoenix.Ryamatsu 2015-07-20 15:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I play with my wife and FFXI is very entertaining if you coop with someone. We started new characters from scratch on a new server and so far it's been a blast. The things that used to annoy me about FFXI have been fixed. (Easy teleports, trust NPCs to fill in gaps in the party, sparks currency to get gear).

I can set my goals and achieve them realistically now. It does help having at least one person you can play with at all times. I can see this game getting very lonely otherwise.

I can see FFXI transforming into more of an offline coop game in the future when the servers finally go offline.