Trump Talk™
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 216 217 218
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-19 16:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there's definitely things that can't be predicted, but trends tend to hold up, however boring that sounds.
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
I read today that they are attacking the 14th Amendment. Wow. Yuck.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Skip to about 1:13. It's telling when Bill O'Reilly is the voice of reason in a conversation.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-19 16:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Less than 16 months to gain about 7 more points. Seems like plenty of time or an eternity depending how you look at it.

And they're going to have to drag Hillary out kicking and screaming. The real question will be will the establishment ever know what really hit them?

Assuming a diverse voter turnout like in 2008 and 2012, Trump will have his work cut out for him. That poll shows him doing well with men and whites. Trump will lose women and Hispanics by a large margin, larger than Romney for sure. He will also lose blacks. You have to consider Hillary still as the reasonable favorite.

Still, nothing is impossible. I'm shocked to say this but he looks like he really is the favorite to win the GOP nomination. I thought about this and arrived at a conclusion- in a contest where being the alpha male is so highly prized, Trump is making the rest of the GOP field look weak. You cannot scream louder than him. You cannot be as grandiose as him. The media is drawn to him; he gets the most coverage by far. A guy like Chris Christie, who is supposed to be a tough guy, looks timid next to Donald Trump. Jeb Bush is a milquetoast, and Rubio is a child. And Trump's wealth is on the same playing field as the major Republican backers. You can't buy him, and you don't bribe him with a Fox pundit job or any other trifles- he's already a major celebrity and has been for over three decades.

Hillary doesn't have Bill or Barack's gigawatt charisma. She's a master of double-speak and say-nothing. Trump is more charismatic and possibly more likeable. He's certainly far more plain-spoken. It's not impossible for him to win. And he was a Democrat for a long time. Perhaps he could reach across the aisle on certain issues?

Trump's support in a nutshell is that he is perceived as entirely outside or above the broken political establishment, and therefore not bound to the rules of the game.

He taps into the people who are sick of voting in people to Washington who turn around and sell out the voters that brought them. This at the moment applies to conservatives who have been screwed over from the midterms when they elected officials who didn't fulfill their campaign promises. In the general election he could appeal to pretty much anyone who barely pays attention but generally thinks Washington is broken. Especially when you pit him against a Joe Biden. Hillary Clinton, or other liberal who is essentially a career politician with strong ties to the current administration.

I don't know how that aspect of him (he's a powerful genuine outsider) is going to be dispelled by Clinton or Biden. What are they going to say, 'you can trust me more than him'? I mean in the end he could be lying, he could be posturing, and he could be fake, but there is no way he could appear more fake than his opponent.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-19 16:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Birthright citizenship has got to end!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-19 16:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Says someone who has birthright citizenship...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-19 16:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I suppose, but I have the proper kind as well (extending to my grandparents who immigrated here legally).
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-19 16:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose, but I have the proper kind as well (extending to my grandparents who immigrated here legally).

So, the problem isn't birthright citizenship, it's illegal immigration. Anchor babies are like voter fraud, basically non-existent. It doesn't really matter, though, it takes a 3/4 vote in both houses of congress and all the statehouses to repeal an amendment, so it's not going to happen.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-19 17:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no such thing as "proper" birthright citizenship. The language on the amendment is very plain. But Trump's got lawyers on it so who knows, eh?
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2015-08-19 17:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait for a year and a half from now, looking back on this when we'd think that one day President Trump flying up north to meet with Prime Minister Trudeau was once a legit idea.
*insert Pleebo's avatar here*
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-19 17:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump's support in a nutshell is that he is perceived as entirely outside or above the broken political establishment, and therefore not bound to the rules of the game.

He taps into the people who are sick of voting in people to Washington who turn around and sell out the voters that brought them. This at the moment applies to conservatives who have been screwed over from the midterms when they elected officials who didn't fulfill their campaign promises. In the general election he could appeal to pretty much anyone who barely pays attention but generally thinks Washington is broken. Especially when you pit him against a Joe Biden. Hillary Clinton, or other liberal who is essentially a career politician with strong ties to the current administration.

I don't know how that aspect of him (he's a powerful genuine outsider) is going to be dispelled by Clinton or Biden. What are they going to say, 'you can trust me more than him'? I mean in the end he could be lying, he could be posturing, and he could be fake, but there is no way he could appear more fake than his opponent.

You actually make good points here. There are disgruntled voters on both sides of the aisle, and among swing voters. Anything is possible in a climate where many voters believe that the system is fundamentally broken. I just don't think there are enough of those voters to swing a general election in Trump's favor, but we also don't know his proposed policies. He could be quite moderate on issues other than immigration.

I do want to point out some irony:
Quote:
He taps into the people who are sick of voting in people to Washington who turn around and sell out the voters that brought them.

Who's doing the buying? Trump is one of the buyers. And now he's going to change the system?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-19 17:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Once in awhile Yahoo commenters make a good point. That is Trump is getting free press. The media obsession with trying to make him look bad is actually just giving him tons of free press. You could make the case for the saying any press is good press, but this goes beyond that. All Trump has to do is exist, and bam, free press where he can say something crazy or say something rational. He doesn't have to spend a dime to make himself heard now and won't for quite some time.

This may have been apart of his strategy all along.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-19 17:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You actually make good points here. There are disgruntled voters on both sides of the aisle, and among swing voters. Anything is possible in a climate where many voters believe that the system is fundamentally broken. I just don't think there are enough of those voters to swing a general election in Trump's favor, but we also don't know his proposed policies. He could be quite moderate on issues other than immigration.

I do want to point out some irony:
Quote:
He taps into the people who are sick of voting in people to Washington who turn around and sell out the voters that brought them.

Who's doing the buying? Trump is one of the buyers. And now he's going to change the system?

When you boil this down to a general election you have:

Obvious system drenched candidate who is full of crap vs. Outsider who could be full of crap. If you think washington is broken, who are you going to vote for?

Plus Trump isn't going to be bound by the media, if the last 2 months have taught us anything it's that the "proper-speak" template of the media just doesn't apply to him. He says anything he wants and his voice and ego are loud enough to always be talking over his opponents and critics.

At the moment, he is entirely electable, his only danger is if he somehow self destructs.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-19 17:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So, the problem isn't birthright citizenship, it's illegal immigration. Anchor babies are like voter fraud, basically non-existent. It doesn't really matter, though, it takes a 3/4 vote in both houses of congress and all the statehouses to repeal an amendment, so it's not going to happen.
Actually anchor babies are an industry in California.

They get birthright tourists mostly from China and Korea.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-19 19:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Once in awhile Yahoo commenters make a good point. That is Trump is getting free press. The media obsession with trying to make him look bad is actually just giving him tons of free press. You could make the case for the saying any press is good press, but this goes beyond that. All Trump has to do is exist, and bam, free press where he can say something crazy or say something rational. He doesn't have to spend a dime to make himself heard now and won't for quite some time.

This may have been apart of his strategy all along.

I said that way back when he first started campaigning and threatened the Republican party not to block him out. I do believe he originally intended to make a run but ultimately lose the primary to the pre-elected candidate. Then he got popular and realized just how many people are really sick of the current political system, the one he made fun of. So now he's going to make a serious run at the title on the platform of "I'm not a career politician and not only do I know how broke this system is, I've actively abused it and am your best chance at fixing it".

He doesn't need this, hell he would probably have less power if he's elected because he would have to put on hold all his business dealings. He's doing it purely for the vanity, to immortalize his name in the hall of "Former US Presidents". It's hilarious seeing his opponents try to fight him when their entire arsenal consists of weapons designed to fight each other.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-19 20:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
"I'm not a career politician and not only do I know how broke this system is, I've actively abused it and am your best chance at fixing it".
Yeah, that's definitely an interesting strategy he's going for there.

Funny thing is though, after this whole thing is over and he winds up not getting the nomination, nothing will have changed in regards to him being able to abuse the system.

People love the status-quo and money. He'll just go back to buying favors, and politicians will be more than willing to sell to him. It's not like he's risking anything by running with that platform.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-19 21:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
"I'm not a career politician and not only do I know how broke this system is, I've actively abused it and am your best chance at fixing it".
Yeah, that's definitely an interesting strategy he's going for there.

Funny thing is though, after this whole thing is over and he winds up not getting the nomination, nothing will have changed in regards to him being able to abuse the system.

People love the status-quo and money. He'll just go back to buying favors, and politicians will be more than willing to sell to him. It's not like he's risking anything by running with that platform.
Said by someone who doesn't believe in the silent majority.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-19 22:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have said if he winds up not getting the nomination.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-19 22:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I so hope he does.

Or if he doesn't he pulls the third party Samson in the temple bit and Bernie wins.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-21 07:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-21 09:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone see the side by side where Trump and Bush were both at rallies, Trump was beating up on Bush, saying. His supporters were asleep (meaning not energized) and while he was saying it there were people in Bush's rally who were actually sleeping?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 10:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Anyone see the side by side where Trump and Bush were both at rallies, Trump was beating up on Bush, saying. His supporters were asleep (meaning not energized) and while he was saying it there were people in Bush's rally who were actually sleeping?

Country slept through 12 years of Bush. Par for the course there!

A lot of people fall asleep after bush.
If what you mean "slept" as in "not as many scandals as the ones who took the jobs from them" then yes, you are right.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-21 10:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I so hope he does.

Or if he doesn't he pulls the third party Samson in the temple bit and Bernie wins.

Deez Nuts is polling at 9%, all of that support is pulled away from Hillary. When the Democrats depend on rounding up fools to vote for them, they better hope that they don't get distracted.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-21 10:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I so hope he does.

Deez Nuts is polling at 9%, all of that support is pulled away from Hillary. When the Democrats depend on rounding up fools to vote for them, they better hope that they don't get distracted.

Wait... 9% of those polled gave support for Deez Nuts in the Republican primary and that's taking votes away from Hillary, how? I'm all for taking votes away from Hillary, but this leap in logic makes no sense whatsoever.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 10:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I so hope he does.

Wait... 9% of those polled gave support for Deez Nuts in the Republican primary and that's taking votes away from Hillary, how? I'm all for taking votes away from Hillary, but this leap in logic makes no sense whatsoever.
I thought Deez Nuts was running as an independent. So, he should be taking votes away from both parties, shouldn't he?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-21 11:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I so hope he does.

I thought Deez Nuts was running as an independent. So, he should be taking votes away from both parties, shouldn't he?

Yes, but "he" is only ever compared to one candidate or the other because they are primary polls. It's the combined number everyone is touting, when it technically contains multiple contradictory data sets. Sorta how you can't have 55% of those polled supporting Clinton and also have 55% supporting Trump.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-21 11:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We aren't at the primaries yet, they are just doing callcenter polling. I'm sure they are calling registered republicans and registered democrats and "combining" the numbers, or something similar. To say that "all of the support was pulled away from Hillary" is just making ***up, obviously.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-21 11:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This was the only poll I saw:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 11:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
To say that "all of the support was pulled away from Hillary" is just making ***up, obviously.
To say that "all of the support was pulled away from the Republicans" is also making ***up, obviously.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 216 217 218